PDA

View Full Version : Who is this Ian Mahinmi and why is Cuban trying to sign him?

Amarelooms
07-12-2010, 12:12 AM
http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/07/11/2327773/dallas-mavericks-close-in-on-deal.html

What is Cuban doing....offering the fully MLE to Haslem and now this guy???

:elephant

timvp
07-12-2010, 12:17 AM
Mahinmi to Dallas for the LLE?

Well, at least the Spurs share their bigman prospects within the Texas borders :shootme

Amarelooms
07-12-2010, 12:18 AM
He's french...so Roddy has a friend now to talk to lol

timvp
07-12-2010, 12:20 AM
I think Ian will sign with Mavs.

Nice call.

xellos88330
07-12-2010, 12:21 AM
I hate to see him in a Mavs jersey. I prefer to see him in the east coast.

DesignatedT
07-12-2010, 12:22 AM
He sucks don't worry.

silverblk mystix
07-12-2010, 12:22 AM
...if Ian turns out to be good---with proper playing time...

you might witness an epic spurstalk meltdown.

07-12-2010, 12:23 AM
if mahinmi develops into even a solid rotation player, there is going to be a meltdown on spurstalk.

timvp
07-12-2010, 12:23 AM
Damn, this could get ugly. If Mahinmi pans out on the Mavs, Spurs fans will forgive the Scola trade long before this.

DesignatedT
07-12-2010, 12:24 AM

if mahinmi develops into even a solid rotation player, there is going to be a meltdown on spurstalk.

:lol

Whisky Dog
07-12-2010, 12:24 AM
I have a bad feeling he'll torch us.

ElNono
07-12-2010, 12:25 AM
If he pans out... lol Bonner 4/16m

Cane
With Jason Kidd, all you need is some athleticism and you can get easy dunks :downspin:

Whisky Dog
Casualty of the Matt Bonner stretch 4 voodoo curse.

ducks
6 fouls will give him 6 minutes

timvp

Damn, this could get ugly. If Mahinmi pans out on the Mavs, Spurs fans will forgive the Scola trade long before this.

:lol Yeah, this is the ultimate perfect storm for a meltdown of historic proportions. Bonner gets a raise and four years while Mahinmi leaves for a quarter of the price ... to Dallas.

ChumpDumper
07-12-2010, 12:27 AM
Good luck to him.

ducks
07-12-2010, 12:28 AM
guess when he gets injures again

EricB
07-12-2010, 12:31 AM
So when he gets a hang nail in the layup line and misses lots of games what then?

silverblk mystix
07-12-2010, 12:33 AM
...my only serious question---if Ian succeeds or exceeds expectations is this;

Will POP be called out once and for all?

will pop be pressured by anyone if he continues to put his faith in players like finley,bogans,bonner,vaughn,etc....????

ChumpDumper
07-12-2010, 12:34 AM
True. Pop has never been called out.

Not on this board.

DAF86
07-12-2010, 12:34 AM
I would rather have Ian for the LLE than Bonner for 16 mil.

Whisky Dog
07-12-2010, 12:36 AM
I still can't believe that Bonner deal. What has he done to show that he isn't a scared little boy in the playoffs? Ian may never be anything, but Bonner has shown he isn't ever going to be anything yet he plays and gets paid. Such a travesty.

silverblk mystix
07-12-2010, 12:37 AM
True. Pop has never been called out.

Not on this board.

I did not mean ---on this board...

I was referring to anyone in the organization---like the owner...

or at the very least by the media---at least someone to be able to stand up to pop and scrutinize his moves---someone with balls to ask him tough questions

DesignatedT
07-12-2010, 12:38 AM
Duncan.Splitter.Dice.Blair and Ian all have to much in common. Ian provides nothing better at any 1 thing than those guys already posses. Bonner actually provides something different by being able to stretch the D and shoot the 3 which gave him the edge. I wasn't for the Bonner signing and definitely don't want to give the fucker 16 million $ but its obvious why he was kept over Ian. IMO I would have rather both of them left.

Whisky Dog
07-12-2010, 12:45 AM
Obviously Ian can't be here now, but if he was properly developed he could have been a fucking great insurance policy for Dice.

The main issue is Bonner. There are other shooting bigs, and any number of them would have been unknown as far as playoff performance, and unknown is far preferrable to bonafide playoff choker

FromWayDowntown
07-12-2010, 12:46 AM
I did not mean ---on this board...

I was referring to anyone in the organization---like the owner...

or at the very least by the media---at least someone to be able to stand up to pop and scrutinize his moves---someone with balls to ask him tough questions

Since you appear to think such criticism is long overdue, you surely have a suitable replacement in mind, no? Who might that be?

By the way, with the 4 banners in the rafters and the decade-plus of extremely competitive teams and good PR, I suspect that Pop will be permitted to coach here until he decides he's done with it.

Pop's far from infallible, and there have been plenty of curious personnel decisions made by someone in the organization, but I don't think anyone beyond a faction on this board actually believes his job is (or should be) in jeopardy.

Thompson
07-12-2010, 12:49 AM
Duncan.Splitter.Dice.Blair and Ian all have to much in common. Ian provides nothing better at any 1 thing than those guys already posses. Bonner actually provides something different by being able to stretch the D and shoot the 3 which gave him the edge. I wasn't for the Bonner signing and definitely don't want to give the fucker 16 million $ but its obvious why he was kept over Ian. IMO I would have rather both of them left.

There was a time when (supposedly) Larry Brown was interested in Ian. If nothing else, playing time might have raised his trade value and we could have gotten something we needed for him. I can't fathom why he wasn't given more time; whatever time he did get he seemed to make the most of. Spurstalk would go into meltdown mode if he proves to be a good player for Dallas, and it should. Quality big men are hard to come by, and we've already given one away for nothing to Houston.

mystargtr34
07-12-2010, 12:51 AM
I hope he does well .. Even if it's with the Mavs.

Indazone
07-12-2010, 12:54 AM
The Mavericks have just offered Haslem their full mid-level exception starting at $5.85 million this season, a league source said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_y...agentbuzz071110

murpjf88
07-12-2010, 12:56 AM
The Mavericks have just offered Haslem their full mid-level exception starting at $5.85 million this season, a league source said.

Link can't be found. I guess I'll take your word for it.

Dunc n Dave
07-12-2010, 01:02 AM

They are calling it a cock block of the Heat down in the NBA Forum.

TD 21
07-12-2010, 01:04 AM
Why pay Haywood so much and then sign a young prospect?

Because you need more than one center per team.

This is an excellent signing by the Mavs. It would be an upset of epic proportions were he to become a star or anything even resembling that of one, but there's no reason this guy can't be at minimum a quality rotation player in this league. All of the physical tools are there, plus he has a decent skill level and he's ready to play.

This could come back to bite the Spurs to an extent. Granted, he wasn't going to play here, but still, to let him get away to the Mavs after the Scola fiasco. Not good.

What a steal by the Mavs. The Nets would have been better off signing Mahinmi for the bi-annual exception than wasting 3 years/$10 million on Petro.

DesignatedT
07-12-2010, 01:05 AM

This is an excellent signing by the Mavs. It would be an upset of epic proportions were he to become a star or anything even resembling that of one, but there's no reason this guy can't be at minimum a quality rotation player in this league. All of the physical tools are there, plus he has a decent skill level and he's ready to play.

This could come back to bite the Spurs to an extent. Granted, he wasn't going to play here, but still, to let him get away to the Mavs after the Scola fiasco. Not good.

What a steal by the Mavs. The Nets would have been better off signing Mahinmi for the bi-annual exception than wasting 3 years/$10 million on Petro.

calm down buddy. he hasnt proved anything whatsoever so far.

TD 21
07-12-2010, 01:10 AM
Neither has Petro and he just got $10 million. As I said, I have no illusions of Mahinmi being a star, but to get him for $1.8 million is solid. This could easily be a bargain by the mid point of next season.

ffcommish
07-12-2010, 01:10 AM
Ian looked like a nice prospect on the court last season, but he was still pretty raw after the Spurs put a lot of work into him so I can understand them letting him go.

On the Mavs side, it's a pretty nice pickup to get Ian this far along with the Spurs putting in all the foundational work.

On the subject of personell moves - For as sharp as the front office seemed earlier this century, they seem just as dull now. I sincerely believe the Spurs would be in better hands with the elite members of this forum running the show now.

DesignatedT
07-12-2010, 01:13 AM
Neither has Petro and he just got $10 million. As I said, I have no illusions of Mahinmi being a star, but to get him for $1.8 million is solid. This could easily be a bargain by the mid point of next season.

Oh yeah Petro was way overpaid. No idea why NJ gave him that. I think he does have a career average of close to 20 mpg in the NBA though. He is a little more "proven" I guess than Ian. who has barely seen an NBA floor

silverblk mystix
07-12-2010, 01:28 AM
Since you appear to think such criticism is long overdue, you surely have a suitable replacement in mind, no? Who might that be?

By the way, with the 4 banners in the rafters and the decade-plus of extremely competitive teams and good PR, I suspect that Pop will be permitted to coach here until he decides he's done with it.

Pop's far from infallible, and there have been plenty of curious personnel decisions made by someone in the organization, but I don't think anyone beyond a faction on this board actually believes his job is (or should be) in jeopardy.

Who mentioned replacing him?

YOU and other always retort with that same shit---who will take his place?

Why can't Pop simply be questioned--like it is done in every other NBA city?

I have seen other coaches, gm's, even owners---get pressured---or at least questioned by the media during post game conferences---except for Pop--he seems to have found a way to avoid that...

by being a complete intimidating asshole to anyone asking a tough question--this is where a good owner could look into things and see if his coach might be slipping, to see if his employee might be getting complacent or fuckin senile.

I have always thought that Pop was one--if not the best--coach in the nba but in the last couple to three years---he has really changed IMO.

In the last few seasons there are more and more really peculiar bouts of strange behavior and coaching decisions, along with more frequent alienating of certain players and usually that is a sign of complacency, old/rigid ways and generally ---slippage.

The worrisome part it seems is that his job is NEVER questioned and he keeps getting MORE set in his ways, MORE prone to keep doing things only HIS way and the league has changed. It seems as though he has not ADAPTED at all and no-one is able to question him,etc...

as far as a replacement...ANY name I could post here will only be met with disdain, ridicule and a list of reasons why Pop is superior---but if it ever came to really replacing Pop---I believe that it would NOT be as important to find someone with a better resume' as it would be just to bring in a fresh attitude, a new outlook---a young coach who isn't set in his ways and STILL has that fire of wanting to win a championship---to still prove himself.

Along with Pop's awesome accomplishments , unfortunately, comes a bit of contentment, an attitude of---it is only basketball---it is unreasonable to expect a championship every season, that team is better than everyone else--no-one is on the lakers level---

all of those thing, IMO , are NOT a good sign---and although Pop should be commended for his straightforward honesty---it seems to me to also mean that he is not as hungry anymore, and this is just basketball--nothing to get too wound up about...

on the other hand---a young unproven coach would have NOTHING else on his mind except winning a title AT ALL COSTS---he would have the FIRE that POP seems to have lost long,long ago.

Remember that fire? Remember Pop's passion?

Now contrast it with the last coupla' years with Pop giving the message to his team that it is ok to loaf through the regular season---until the playoffs arrive...
or...

the attitude that once a team seems to be winning handily---just throw in the towel--because---well we just did not have it tonight...

etc...

SenorSpur
07-12-2010, 01:34 AM
I would rather have Ian for the LLE than Bonner for 16 mil.

^This

The fact is Mahinmi flashes of production in abbreviated court time, but was never able to even sniff the rotation.

At the same time, Bonner, a one-trick pony, continuously chokes in the playoffs, yet gets a spot in the rotation, and the security of a new four-year deal.

:lol at all the Ian-haters, who think he's trash, even though no one has ever seen him on a regular rotation. Ian never got a chance to prove anythihg, so he's still a virtual unknown.

Meanwhile Bonner is a proven choker, who seemingly can do no wrong in the eyes of the coaches and many on this board.

It wouldn't surprise me if this turns into Scola 2.0.

SenorSpur
07-12-2010, 01:41 AM

Yeah, he wasn't going to play here because Pop was never going to abandon his obssession of casting Matt Bonner as the next Robert Horry - no matter how much he continously sucked and choked.

admiralsnackbar
07-12-2010, 01:43 AM
I have always thought that Pop was one--if not the best--coach in the nba but in the last couple to three years---he has really changed IMO.

In the last few seasons there are more and more really peculiar bouts of strange behavior and coaching decisions, along with more frequent alienating of certain players and usually that is a sign of complacency, old/rigid ways and generally ---slippage.

Don't you think it's telling that your time-line on his decline as a coach is commensurate with losing seasons in which he had to make crazy decisions due to injuries to his main horses? In which his best players were simultaneously hogging a significant part of the payroll for the first time?

And when has Pop not alienated players who he felt were under-performing or under-seasoned? I'm not saying I always agree with it, but you can't take a behavior that he's always demonstrated and label it slippage just because we've strung together a few teams that didn't make the finals.

DespЏrado
07-12-2010, 01:47 AM
Ian's ceiling = Elson = nothing to be worried about.

admiralsnackbar
07-12-2010, 01:47 AM
Meanwhile Bonner is a proven choker, who seemingly can do no wrong in the eyes of the coaches and many on this board.

Yet Bonner got PT and Ian didn't. We may not know much about Ian's game, but I'd wager his coaches did. Hmmmm.

bigdog
07-12-2010, 01:53 AM
I still root for Mahinmi. If the Spurs don't resign him and he plays well, even in Dallas, I'll be happy for him, because I truly think he deserves a better chance in game action than he had here. I just hope he plays like absolute shit against the Spurs. Other than that, go get em, Ian. Shut up everyone on this board and have a solid career.

silverblk mystix
07-12-2010, 01:58 AM
Don't you think it's telling that your time-line on his decline as a coach is commensurate with losing seasons in which he had to make crazy decisions due to injuries to his main horses? In which his best players were simultaneously hogging a significant part of the payroll for the first time?

And when has Pop not alienated players who he felt were under-performing or under-seasoned? I'm not saying I always agree with it, but you can't take a behavior that he's always demonstrated and label it slippage just because we've strung together a few teams that didn't make the finals.

well, yeah you may have a point---and I hope that that is all that there is to it...

because in the end all most of us want is to have the spurs win---win titles of course...

and IMO it still wouldn't hurt to be able to question Pop's decisions and to hopefully find a way to make Pop feel accountable---instead of untouchable...

admiralsnackbar
07-12-2010, 02:11 AM
well, yeah you may have a point---and I hope that that is all that there is to it...

because in the end all most of us want is to have the spurs win---win titles of course...

and IMO it still wouldn't hurt to be able to question Pop's decisions and to hopefully find a way to make Pop feel accountable---instead of untouchable...

That's fair, but in the end I don't think he likes losing any more than we do.

slick'81
07-12-2010, 02:24 AM
well see how this turns out ian will get a chance somewhere and if he were to become a pretty serviceable player in dallas :bang

admiralsnackbar
07-12-2010, 02:40 AM
In the end, it's a moot point what becomes of Ian -- we have greater areas of need than the 5 position. With limited funds, you pick up what you need, not what you'd like.

Like others in here, I wish Ian the best and hope he does shape up into a baller -- but he hasn't yet, and we don't have any time or reason to bring him along now that Splitter looks to be signing.

ka mate
07-12-2010, 03:04 AM
From the few Mavs games I've seen last season, I wander if Mahinmi can actually see any significant minutes in Dallas. Carlisle loves to play small and looking at the way he played Roddy B, Mahinmi will have to work real hard to earn Carlisle's favour and crack the rotation.
I just don't see Mahinmi seeing regular minutes under Carlisle... unless Haywood gets injured or something.

DrSteffo
07-12-2010, 03:24 AM

This.

ChumpDumper
07-12-2010, 03:28 AM
It's a steal if Ian plays the way folks here think he can.

It's an ok signing if Ian plays the way he did for the Spurs.

Obstructed_View
07-12-2010, 03:29 AM
Carlisle trusts young players just a tad more than Pop does. It's likely that Cuban got him so they could get the Spurs' playbook.

There won't be a Spurstalk meltdown if he does well, because there were only three or four people that thought he was capable of being anything more than a scrub.

Bruno
07-12-2010, 03:32 AM
Nice call.

:smokin

Good news for Ian.

A full LLE deal is 2 years and $4.3M, it allows him to cash in some money. It's also nice for him to get the deal that soon in the summer. It will allow him to play with the FNT where he could get a big role in the likely case of Noah not playing.

Dallas could be a good opportunity for Ian. They have 2 solid starters with Dirk and Haywood but only a 34 years old Najera and a 35 years old Dampier to back them up. I expect Mavs to do more moves in their frontcourt, especially with Dampier, but for the moment Ian is in a good situation playing time wise.

At the end, Spurs decided to let go Ian to re-sign Bonner for 3 times more money. Future will tell us if they were right about that...

will_spurs
07-12-2010, 03:43 AM
6 fouls will give him 6 minutes

I'd hate to let facts get in the way of your usual incoherent, misinformed ramblings, but last year Ian appeared in 26 games for the Spurs... averaging a bit over 6 minutes and collecting 1.2 fouls.

That's still a high fouling rate for sure, but literally speaking 6 fouls would give him 30 mpg :)

As I understand it the LLE Mahinmi received is $1.8m per year for 2 years, whereas Petro got $3.3m per year for 3 years.

I think Mahinmi has the potential to play much better than Petro, but they aren't comparable. Mahinmi has barely any NBA experience, Petro has already logged over 5k minutes in the regular season + 2 playoff runs with Denver (where he saw little playing time), and he had decent stats in his first 3 years with Seattle (6ppg and 4-5rpg in 18mpg)

I'd agree both are overpaid but this is a sign of the times more than anything. Relatively speaking I'm not too surprised that Petro is getting paid about twice as much as Ian.

It's likely that Cuban got him so they could get the Spurs' playbook.

Likely indeed.

There won't be a Spurstalk meltdown if he does well, because there were only three or four people that thought he was capable of being anything more than a scrub.

Well I'm one. We only need 4 more to prove you wrong on that cuont at least :lol

admiralsnackbar
07-12-2010, 03:50 AM
I'd hate to let facts get in the way of your usual incoherent, misinformed ramblings, but last year Ian appeared in 26 games for the Spurs... averaging a bit over 6 minutes and collecting 1.2 fouls.

That's still a high fouling rate for sure, but literally speaking 6 fouls would give him 30 mpg :)

Can't believe I'm standing up for Ducks :wow

On paper you're right, but fouls are much less likely to be called in garbage time, which was Ian's scant bread and butter. The guy is incredibly foul-prone.

objective
07-12-2010, 04:04 AM
At the end, Spurs decided to let go Ian to re-sign Bonner for 3 times more money. Future will tell us if they were right about that...

don't need to wait for the future.

I can tell you right now the Spurs are wrong to bring Bonner back, let alone at that amount, while junking Mahinmi.

The future has already been written.

Bruno
07-12-2010, 04:13 AM
don't need to wait for the future.

I can tell you right now the Spurs are wrong to bring Bonner back, let alone at that amount, while junking Mahinmi.

The future has already been written.

We will see.

I'm sure Spurs staff and FO is way more knowledgeable than me about basketball. They also have seen a lot of Mahinmi and Bonner.

They can do mistakes but, when I think they are making one, like with Bonner and Mahinmi, I'm cautious and I don't rule out that there is a good chance that I'm the one who is wrong.

sonic21
07-12-2010, 04:27 AM
bad news.

Of course with Ian now, Dirk will finally win the ring he deserves.

m33p0
07-12-2010, 04:32 AM
I still can't believe that Bonner deal. What has he done to show that he isn't a scared little boy in the playoffs? Ian may never be anything, but Bonner has shown he isn't ever going to be anything yet he plays and gets paid. Such a travesty.

he's our only small forward at this point.

objective
07-12-2010, 04:34 AM
We will see.

I'm sure Spurs staff and FO is way more knowledgeable than me about basketball. They also have seen a lot of Mahinmi and Bonner.

They can do mistakes but, when I think they are making one, like with Bonner and Mahinmi, I'm cautious and I don't rule out that there is a good chance that I'm the one who is wrong.

the only reason I would have any doubts for Mahinmi's future as opposed to the awful that is Bonner's future is Rick Carlisle. Mavs could have won that series if Carlisle hadn't Popped Beaubois.

admiralsnackbar
07-12-2010, 05:13 AM
the only reason I would have any doubts for Mahinmi's future as opposed to the awful that is Bonner's future is Rick Carlisle. Mavs could have won that series if Carlisle hadn't Popped Beaubois.

And we almost certainly would have dropped that series if Ian had guarded Dirk instead of Bonner. Dirk specializes in drawing fouls, man -- it would have been a slaughter.

ceperez
07-12-2010, 05:25 AM
Doesn't matter if Mahinmi turns out to eventually be a dud (which is highly unlikely since other former Spurs draft choice have turned out to be quite serviceable... i.e. Udrih, Scola etc.)

The truth is Cuban will be able to sign a center that the Spurs invested 3 years to develop for the bargain basement price of the LLE. Furthermore, this allows the Mavs to waive Dampier and save $13m from their payroll.

At worse, this guy this signing would be like the Sean Marks signing where he was giving up information to the competition.

This situation without a doubt is a bad development. Blunder by the F.O. to have not taken up the option. Bigger blunder for not giving the player playing time, were they hoping that other organizations would not notice?

TJastal
07-12-2010, 05:26 AM
With Jason Kidd, all you need is some athleticism and you can get easy dunks :downspin:

The excuses are rolling in already..

Pretty soon the haters will all flat out say Mahinmi wouldn't be shit without Jason Kidd

TJastal
07-12-2010, 05:30 AM
And we almost certainly would have dropped that series if Ian had guarded Dirk instead of Bonner. Dirk specializes in drawing fouls, man -- it would have been a slaughter.

So? Didn't matter who was guarding him he was drawing fouls on everyone. At least with Ian guarding there would be no "And-1's" which is a Bonner specialty.

TJastal
07-12-2010, 05:32 AM
he's our only small forward at this point.

Bonner never was, (and never will be) quick enough to guard 3's

The Truth #6
07-12-2010, 05:33 AM
I could see Cuban wanting to develop him just to spite the Spurs. Ian never had luck before but he might have it now.

objective
07-12-2010, 05:34 AM

:lol at your fear.

Mahinmi played well when Pop quit game 5. In fact there was a sequence if I recall correctly where he defended the pick and roll, knocked a ball away, hustled to get it and made the play to get the ball to Hill for a fastbreak score, which was a better sequence than Bonner had the whole series.

TJastal
07-12-2010, 05:35 AM
Can't believe I'm standing up for Ducks :wow

On paper you're right, but fouls are much less likely to be called in garbage time, which was Ian's scant bread and butter. The guy is incredibly foul-prone.

So was Robin Lopez until he was in the league a few years and starting getting respect and learning the ropes.

Anyway who fucking cares man. That's what you got a bench for.

objective
07-12-2010, 05:39 AM
Robin Lopez?

You mean that guy who was a foul machine who missed camp with injury? What did he do other than get trust placed in him by a coach and then go on to change the Suns for the better?

If Robin Lopez was on the Spurs he'd be in a sportcoat getting Bonner his towels and gatorade.

TJastal
07-12-2010, 05:42 AM
Carlisle trusts young players just a tad more than Pop does. It's likely that Cuban got him so they could get the Spurs' playbook.

Count me as "one of the few". If I recall Senorspur was high on Ian as well.

ceperez
07-12-2010, 05:42 AM
I could understand why an athletic guard or forward can't get playing time. That's because it takes more skill and IQ to play well at these positions. However for a center?

The Mavs have shown that with an athletic Diop, they used him just to block shots and nothing more. Mahinmi could just jump around and block shots and it'll be a total success.

The problem with the Spurs is they expect their centers to play like Tim Duncan. Which to me is a complete surprise because guys like End of Career Robinson, Nesterovic and Nazr never were that skilled in the offensive end. They were just tall players whose mere presence intimidated the opposition in the paint. Problem with guys like Bonner is that nobody is ever intimidated and its the exact opposite effect, players are encouraged to score.

admiralsnackbar
07-12-2010, 05:44 AM
:lol at your fear.

Mahinmi played well when Pop quit game 5. In fact there was a sequence if I recall correctly where he defended the pick and roll, knocked a ball away, hustled to get it and made the play to get the ball to Hill for a fastbreak score, which was a better sequence than Bonner had the whole series.

Yeah... Ian played lights-out, man!

:lol at you crying over spilled milk. It's over. He's gone. I hope he turns into everything you think he can and rub it in my face, I really do. But he's not a Spur anymore. Life goes on.

objective
07-12-2010, 05:48 AM
Yeah... Ian played lights-out, man!

:lol at you crying over spilled milk. It's over. He's gone. I hope he turns into everything you think he can and rub it in my face, I really do. But he's not a Spur anymore. Life goes on.

way to go, deflecting addressing how Ian and Bonner played while mixing in some spilled milk.

The irrational Ian haters are already trembling after repeatedly boasting all season that he wouldn't even get a minimum salary deal and would have to back to Europe.

Him not being a Spur anymore is worthy of discussion on a Spurs board.

People who can't handle that should just ignore these threads.

ceperez
07-12-2010, 05:53 AM
For all those Ian haters out there, feast on this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcggbD8EpAM

AcggbD8EpAM

and what did Sean say in the end?

admiralsnackbar
07-12-2010, 05:54 AM
way to go, deflecting addressing how Ian and Bonner played while mixing in some spilled milk.

The irrational Ian haters are already trembling after repeatedly boasting all season that he wouldn't even get a minimum salary deal and would have to back to Europe.

Him not being a Spur anymore is worthy of discussion on a Spurs board.

People who can't handle that should just ignore these threads.

Me ignoring one nice transition because the rest of his game was lackluster justifies you playing this card? Eat a dick, buddy :lol

TJastal
07-12-2010, 06:10 AM
For all those Ian haters out there, feast on this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcggbD8EpAM

AcggbD8EpAM

and what did Sean say in the end?

Sean said "that's the sign of a pretty talented big-man."

What does Sean Elli0t know anyway, he was just a scrub.

admiralsnackbar
07-12-2010, 06:11 AM
Sean said "that's the sign of a pretty talented big-man."

What does Sean Elli0t know anyway, he was just a scrub.

To put things in perspective, Sean loved James White, too.

K-State Spur
07-12-2010, 07:04 AM

This isn't football.

Spurs and Mavs have seen so much of each other over the years that Cuban probably knows the Spurs sets better than Ian.

It wasn't the X's and O's that snuck up on the Mavs last playoffs - it was the emergence of George Hill.

Ian was signed based on a low risk/high reward viewpoint - not because of playbook knowledge.

coyotes_geek
07-12-2010, 07:45 AM
For those worried that the mavs see something in Ian that the Spurs don't, please keep in mind that the mavs also thought Erick Dampier was worth $73 million and that Desagana Diop was worthy of the full-MLE.

Brazil
07-12-2010, 07:47 AM
Ian for the LLE is still clever than Bonner for 4 y / 16 M$

ElNono
07-12-2010, 07:49 AM
Why pay Haywood so much and then sign a young prospect?

Not only that, they just offered the entire MLE to Haslem...

ElNono
07-12-2010, 08:04 AM

lol, if not for Dice doing the bulk of the work on Dirk, we would have finished just like in 08-09... If there was a worthless player in the Dallas series, that was Bonner...

SenorSpur
07-12-2010, 08:05 AM
For those worried that the mavs see something in Ian that the Spurs don't, please keep in mind that the mavs also thought Erick Dampier was worth $73 million and that Desagana Diop was worthy of the full-MLE.

Bad comparison.

Avery Johnson "politicked" and "sold" the Mavs on the Dampier signing figuring that "he" could get the best out of him, having been his teammate at Golden State. Obviously it was a failiure, as Dampier was serviceable, but not worth the money and contract they paid him.

Besides, that has nothing at all to do with the fact that Ian is still a promising player, with some good skills, but with virtualy unknown potential.

It's not like the Spurs are stacked with athleticism on the frontline. Dice will likely be gone next year. Who knows what Tim's status will be? That said, the idea of jettisoning a young, talented, frontline player, who can play both ends of the court, without having fully seen what he can do, as a contributing, rotation player, just seems like flawed thinking, IMHO.

coyotes_geek
07-12-2010, 08:17 AM
Bad comparison.

Avery Johnson "politicked" and "sold" the Mavs on the Dampier signing figuring that "he" could get the best out of him, having been his teammate at Golden State. Obviously it was a failiure, as Dampier was serviceable, but not worth the money and contract they paid him.

Besides, that has nothing at all to do with the fact that Ian is still a promising player, with some good skills, but with virtualy unknown potential.

Disagree. Ian is not a promising player, he has no skills and his only potential is that he's big an athletic. Just because some team with a poor track record in assessing the value of big men has interest in him doesn't mean that is something other than a draft bust.

MaNu4Tres
07-12-2010, 08:19 AM
Disagree. Ian is not a promising player, he has no skills and his only potential is that he's big an athletic. Just because some team with a poor track record in assessing the value of big men has interest in him doesn't mean that is something other than a draft bust.

You didn't watch his progression close enough. IMO

coyotes_geek
07-12-2010, 08:21 AM

I watch the same Spur games that everyone else does. Summer league games included. Ian had his chances, it's time to move on.

Brazil
07-12-2010, 08:26 AM
I watch the same Spur games that everyone else does. Summer league games included. Ian had his chances, it's time to move on.

of course it's time to move on but as a fan who watched every spurs games, don't tell me you wouldn't prefer throwing the LLE for Ian vs. giving a multiple years extension to bonner.

K-State Spur
07-12-2010, 08:26 AM

You clearly see some progression that even the Mavs don't see. Signing him for the LLE shows that the Mavs clearly see the POTENTIAL that everybody on here saw. But their other moves clearly show that they are not counting on him for anything.

Dollars to donuts, he spends the early part of the season riding the bench and doesn't see much PT until injuries occur - at which point he will either earn his stripes or be relegated back to garbage duty again.

dbestpro
07-12-2010, 08:29 AM
Mavs are better than nothing, but Ian should go where he can get the most PT.

MaNu4Tres
07-12-2010, 08:29 AM
Ian had his chances, it's time to move on.

Actually he did not.

In the 2007-2008 season the Spurs were defending a championship with a front-court of Duncan-Oberto-Horry-Elson (Kurt Thomas)- Bonner. There was no time to develop a young player who has yet to earn his stripes with Popovich.

In 2008-2009 the guy was hurt all year.

This past year he began the season with huge question marks coming back from a long layoff because of his ankle. That being said Popovich didn't give him any real opportunity to grasp a role because Popovich was trying to prepare the players that have earned their stripes for a championship. Any chance Ian got this past season he performed really well.

To say he got his chances is foolish to say.

coyotes_geek
07-12-2010, 08:36 AM
of course it's time to move on but as a fan who watched every spurs games, don't tell me you wouldn't prefer throwing the LLE for Ian vs. giving a multiple years extension to bonner.

Not a valid comparison. Matt Bonner is an NBA player, Ian is not.

Spurs Brazil
07-12-2010, 08:36 AM
Good luck to Ian, I just hope he doesn't play well against us

coyotes_geek
07-12-2010, 08:40 AM
Actually he did not.

In the 2007-2008 season the Spurs were defending a championship with a front-court of Duncan-Oberto-Horry-Elson (Kurt Thomas)- Bonner. There was no time to develop a young player who has yet to earn his stripes with Popovich.

In 2008-2009 the guy was hurt all year.

This past year he began the season with huge question marks coming back from a long layoff because of his ankle. That being said Popovich didn't give him any real opportunity to grasp a role because Popovich was trying to prepare the players that have earned their stripes for a championship. Any chance Ian got this past season he performed really well.

To say he got his chances is foolish to say.

What's foolish is thinking that actual game minutes is the only conceivable way to be able to assess whether or not a player belongs in the NBA. Before you earn a chance in games you've got to earn your chance in practice.

What's even more foolish is thinking that a team in dire need of a legitimate center would use a 1st round pick on one and then deliberately try to sabotage his development.

The Spurs did not have to sign Ian. They could have left him overseas and tracked his development from there, while maintaining control of his draft rights. But they chose not to. They chose to invest in him by giving him an NBA contract. How is that not giving him a chance?

Dr. Gonzo
07-12-2010, 08:42 AM
What's foolish is thinking that actual game minutes is the only conceivable way to be able to assess whether or not a player belongs in the NBA. Before you earn a chance in games you've got to earn your chance in practice.

What's even more foolish is thinking that a team in dire need of a legitimate center would use a 1st round pick on one and then deliberately try to sabotage his development.

:lmao

Anyone here will tell you practice means nothing and Pop is stupid.

MaNu4Tres
07-12-2010, 08:42 AM

You couldn't be more wrong. IMO

The guy will be a 8 and 5 and 1 block player in 15-20 minutes if Dampier is not brought back.

Mark it down and bump this in the middle of the year.

The guy is a NBA player and will be ready to contribute.

coyotes_geek
07-12-2010, 08:45 AM

You couldn't be more wrong. IMO

The guy will be a 8 and 5 and 1 block player in 15-20 minutes if Dampier is not brought back.

Mark it down and bump this in the middle of the year.

The guy is a NBA player and will be ready to contribute.

Duly noted.

MaNu4Tres
07-12-2010, 08:46 AM
Before you earn a chance in games you've got to earn your chance in practice.

The Spurs did not have to sign Ian. They could have left him overseas and tracked his development from there. But they chose not to. They chose to invest in him by giving him an NBA contract. How is that not giving him a chance?

You are clearly blind but it is you're opinion so I'll leave it at that.

Spurs practices consist of game-planning and developing wrinkles in their defense and offense, followed by a light shoot around. Spurs don't have the time or the legs to have full fledged practices during the season to assess how players on the bottom of the depth chart fair against the players ahead on the depth chart.

Mahinmi did not get a fair opportunity here with the Spurs.

coyotes_geek
07-12-2010, 08:54 AM
You are clearly blind but it is you're opinion so I'll leave it at that.

Spurs practices consist of game-planning and developing wrinkles in their defense and offense, followed by a light shoot around. Spurs don't have the time or the legs to have full fledged practices during the season to assess how players on the bottom of the depth chart fair against the players ahead on the depth chart.

George Hill and Dejuan Blair seem to have found a way to overcome those obstacles.

SenorSpur
07-12-2010, 08:57 AM

You just killed whatever credibility you may have had in making your counterpoint.

Bonner is a scrub.

FYI, no one on this board knows what Ian's ceiling or capabilities are because we never saw him on a regular basis. Personally, I'm not convinced the guy can't play in this league.

Meanwhile, what we do know, and what should be painfully obvious to everyone by now, is Bonner is nothing more than an "end-of-the-bench, scrub". A scrub, who Pop has seemingly fallen madly in love with and now has chosen to grossly overpay. A one-dimensional player, that Pop continues for force-feed minutes in hopes that he can provide some semblance of Horry-like contribution. However unlike Horry, he chokes under pressure.

KuntryDude
07-12-2010, 08:59 AM
George Hill and Dejuan Blair seem to have found a way to overcome those obstacles.

No, they just so happened to be on Pop's "good-guy" list. Pop is an arrogant, stubborn SOB. If you're not one of his favorites, he's due to ship your ass....on the other hand, if you're one of his pet bitches, no matter how horrible your game is (i.e. Matty B, Danny Ferry, etc...) you'd continue to get significant minutes.

Mark my word, Minhimi will have his best games of the season against SA. This dude is a baller, and i hope RC gives him his chance to shine....

BG_Spurs_Fan
07-12-2010, 09:01 AM

You just killed whatever credibility you may have had in making your counterpoint.

Bonner is a scrub.

Obnoxious much? Since when does someone's credibility depend on your personal hatefest?

Bonner is a legit NBA player, end of the bench or not. Ian might eventually become NBA player, but currently is not. He'd do well to have a Bonner-like career, but odds are against him.

admiralsnackbar
07-12-2010, 09:19 AM
lol, if not for Dice doing the bulk of the work on Dirk, we would have finished just like in 08-09... If there was a worthless player in the Dallas series, that was Bonner...

It doesn't get much more worthless than logging your only minutes in a series as a human failure cigar does it? I'm not defending Bonner's play... guy played awkward D and compounded it with terrible shooting. Is he less likely to fall for a pump-fake, get in the air, and give a foul than Ian, though? I say yes.

SenorSpur
07-12-2010, 09:26 AM
Obnoxious much? Since when does someone's credibility depend on your personal hatefest?

Bonner is a legit NBA player, end of the bench or not. Ian might eventually become NBA player, but currently is not. He'd do well to have a Bonner-like career, but odds are against him.

That doesn't diminish the fact that Bonner is a scrub. There are a lot of scrubs on NBA rosters and there is a certainly place for Bonner in the NBA. However, not on a team that claims it is "serious" about challenging the 2-time NBA Champion Fakers for Western Conference surpemacy.

BG_Spurs_Fan
07-12-2010, 09:35 AM
That doesn't diminish the fact that Bonner is a scrub. There are a lot of scrubs on NBA rosters and there is a certainly place for Bonner in the NBA. However, not on a team that claims it is "serious" about challenging the 2-time NBA Champion Fakers for Western Conference surpemacy.

Disagree. Lakers have Luke Walton on an even bigger contract, yet are NBA Champions. Challenging the Lakers doesn't have anything to do with Bonner, he's a serviceable bench big, that's it. A playoff scrub, if you want, fair enough, but he's had a very decent career - 6 seasons, 430 games played, 7 PPG, over 40% career 3-point shooting. He's a legit NBA bench player. No more, no less. This is why his contract numbers are more in line with Yohan Petro's than Pau Gasol's.

Him being on the Spurs roster has nothing to do with the Spurs 2010/2011 championship chances, none at all. Just like Mahinmi.

ElNono
07-12-2010, 09:42 AM
It doesn't get much more worthless than logging your only minutes in a series as a human failure cigar does it? I'm not defending Bonner's play... guy played awkward D and compounded it with terrible shooting. Is he less likely to fall for a pump-fake, get in the air, and give a foul than Ian, though? I say yes.

Specifically against Dirk in that series, I'm not sure that a broom would not have done better than Bonner. My comment had little to do with Ian, but more specifically that McDyess should be credited with doing as good a job with Dirk as anybody can do in this league.

I hope Ian does well wherever he goes. I believe the Spurs saw in Blair a kid with more potential and skill and they already were thinking about Splitter, so I can see why they would let him walk. To me, that doesn't necessarily mean Ian is a scrub. I also agree he didn't get the same chances as Hill or Blair, who were handed rotation minutes right off the bat, even when Hill was pretty shaky in his new role as a PG and a fairly terrible summer league shooting wise.

Brazil
07-12-2010, 09:43 AM
Not a valid comparison. Matt Bonner is a Regular Season NBA player, Ian is not.

fify

with Matt Bonner we know what you got an atrocious rebounder who shot some 3s during the regular season and an absolute useless rotation big during the PO.

I prefer the non nba player Ian for the LLE, I let you the nba player

ElNono
07-12-2010, 09:46 AM
Disagree. Lakers have Luke Walton on an even bigger contract, yet are NBA Champions. Challenging the Lakers doesn't have anything to do with Bonner, he's a serviceable bench big, that's it. A playoff scrub, if you want, fair enough, but he's had a very decent career - 6 seasons, 430 games played, 7 PPG, over 40% career 3-point shooting. He's a legit NBA bench player. No more, no less. This is why his contract numbers are more in line with Yohan Petro's than Pau Gasol's.

Him being on the Spurs roster has nothing to do with the Spurs 2010/2011 championship chances, none at all. Just like Mahinmi.

Luke Walton doesn't even sniff 10 minutes of the Lakers rotation. He is truly a 5th big. That's the difference between Phil and Pop, Phil has his pet scrub players, but that doesn't make him play them for 20 mpg.

TJastal
07-12-2010, 09:53 AM

Bonner is not a legit bench player, he's a marginal bench player in this league because of his mental lapses and lack of defense. Then in crucial games he chokes up and throws brick after brick. This is not "legit".

If Bonner would have been signed at a reasonable price (2yr/6m) and Pop actually played him the same as PJ plays Walton (9 minutes a game and even less in the playoffs) I don't think there would be a problem.

cantthinkofanything
07-12-2010, 09:56 AM
I just heard that Paul the Octopus picked Ian over Bonner.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-12-2010, 10:02 AM
So when he gets a hang nail in the layup line and misses lots of games what then?

:lol Like clockwork. Spurs could trade Tim to the Lakers for Luke Walton and Tpark would be on here saying how it's a good move.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-12-2010, 10:03 AM
So we make a prospect NBA ready by throwing the kitchen sink at him, then just give him away to an in-state rival.

Perfect continuation to this offseason.

coyotes_geek
07-12-2010, 10:04 AM
No, they just so happened to be on Pop's "good-guy" list. Pop is an arrogant, stubborn SOB. If you're not one of his favorites, he's due to ship your ass....on the other hand, if you're one of his pet bitches, no matter how horrible your game is (i.e. Matty B, Danny Ferry, etc...) you'd continue to get significant minutes.

Do you think that maybe, just maybe, there might be some kind of a correlation between being a legitimate NBA player and being on Pop's "good guy" list? Besides Ian, who are some of the other can't miss guys whom that mean old Pop shipped out, and what NBA teams are they currently starring for?

Mark my word, Minhimi will have his best games of the season against SA. This dude is a baller, and i hope RC gives him his chance to shine....

I too hope that the mavericks play Ian Mahinmi lots and lots of minutes.

Bonner is a scrub.

I never said he wasn't. He's an NBA scrub. "NBA" being a very crucial distinction. Even if the Spurs had cut Bonner loose, he'd still be on an NBA team next year. There are guys who are just good enough to be NBA scrubs, and then there are guys who aren't even that good.

FYI, no one on this board knows what Ian's ceiling or capabilities are because we never saw him on a regular basis. Personally, I'm not convinced the guy can't play in this league.

Quite often there is a connection between not getting to see a guy on a regular basis and a guy not being good enough to be deserving to be seen on a regular basis.

Meanwhile, what we do know, and what should be painfully obvious to everyone by now, is Bonner is nothing more than an "end-of-the-bench, scrub". A scrub, who Pop has seemingly fallen madly in love with and now has chosen to grossly overpay. A one-dimensional player, that Pop continues for force-feed minutes in hopes that he can provide some semblance of Horry-like contribution. However unlike Horry, he chokes under pressure.

Bonner is one-dimensional. That one dimension is still good enough to earn him a 6 year, and counting, NBA career. Ian doesn't have that one dimension. He's just a big athletic body. That alone is not enough to stick in the NBA.

SenorSpur
07-12-2010, 10:06 AM
Luke Walton doesn't even sniff 10 minutes of the Lakers rotation. He is truly a 5th big. That's the difference between Phil and Pop, Phil has his pet scrub players, but that doesn't make him play them for 20 mpg.

That's the point right there. Pop is a sure-fire, HOF coach. However he's not flawless. One of his obvious flaws, is that he falls in love with players whose production generates diminishing returns the longer they're on the court. He did so with Finley and now with Bonner.

At this point, Bonner is what he is - a scrub, who can occasionally perform well against lesser competition, but wilts under big-game and playoff pressure situations. We've watched confirmation of this for the past several seasons. Keeping him around is not going to change that. He didn't deserve another year on this team.

Still, it's just assinine to me that they've invested another 4 years and 16mil in a player, whose deficiencies are apparent and whose limited production DOES NOT translate into an upgrade to the supporting cast. At the same time, Ian gets booted out before it's clear whether or not he can help.

The hypocrisy is that, for years, Spurs have ran guys off the roster, who proved themselves incapable of either fitting in or upping their production. For example, Beno, Elson, Hedo, Van Exel, and a host of others were ran off for one reason or another - and for good reason. Yet Bonner, with no track record of consistent production and a horrific playoff resume, gets a pass and gets rewarded with a new contract and salary increase.

Instead of resigning Bonner, a better solution for the Spurs would've been signing a more well-rounded, SF with that money. A SF who could play both ends of the court. At that point, the risk of resigning Ian for a season or two, at a low cost, would've been minimal. After a season or so as a rotation player, if Ian proved that he didn't deserve the minutes, then the Spurs would've been justified to ship him out too. There's nothing wrong with churning the bottom of the roster in an effort to strengthen the supporting cast.

BG_Spurs_Fan
07-12-2010, 10:10 AM
^ They couldn't have signed any SF with Bonner's money, per CBA.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-12-2010, 10:17 AM

Keep in mind if we would have signed Diop four years ago to play next to Tim, we'd probably have another ring.

ajh18
07-12-2010, 10:17 AM
You know who Ian always reminded me of? A less athletic Stromile Swift.

Raw, good athlete, all the tools, but not a great basketball IQ. I've always thought Stromile was about Ian's ceiling.

I hope he does well though. I have always been proud of the Spurs organization for not keeping players around who won't play, simply for the sake of not letting other teams have them. The Spurs seem to value a player's development and wishes as much as any team in the league. Competitively this might not always be the best route, but it fits the Spurs' culture.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-12-2010, 10:18 AM

Walton's a scrub, but he actually makes plays in the post-season.

What has Bonner ever done in the post-season, other than be a turn style on defense and help Channing Frye get $35 million?

dbestpro
07-12-2010, 10:20 AM
I have always been proud of the Spurs organization for not keeping players around who won't play, simply for the sake of not letting other teams have them. The Spurs seem to value a player's development and wishes as much as any team in the league. Competitively this might not always be the best route, but it fits the Spurs' culture.

You mean like Scola?

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-12-2010, 10:21 AM
Do you think that maybe, just maybe, there might be some kind of a correlation between being a legitimate NBA player and being on Pop's "good guy" list? Besides Ian, who are some of the other can't miss guys whom that mean old Pop shipped out, and what NBA teams are they currently starring for?

Yep, Pop's batting a thousand in player development and retaining players.

See:

Hedo Turkoglu
Beno Udrih
John Salmons
Raja Bell
Stephen Jackson
Luis Scola
Leandro Barbosa

And they just gave Bonner a bloated contract for being the Anti-Horry in the playoffs :lmao

Just log off, because you couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

ajh18
07-12-2010, 10:23 AM
You mean like Scola?

Well, there are two sides to it. One, I'd always like the Spurs to find a way to fit a skilled player into their team, and use them. But if the Spurs are NOT going to play someone, I like that they give them an opportunity to go elsewhere and get the time and experience they want.

Scola, Beno, Theo and Finley (last year). I would have loved the Spurs to find a way to make the first three of those guys work and get some PT because I think they could have helped. But if the coaching staff simply was not going to play them, then I respect the team for giving them a chance to play elsewhere and not just hoarding them on the bench.

BG_Spurs_Fan
07-12-2010, 10:25 AM

See:

Hedo Turkoglu
Beno Udrih
John Salmons
Raja Bell
Stephen Jackson
Luis Scola
Leandro Barbosa

And they just gave Bonner a bloated contract for being the Anti-Horry in the playoffs :lmao

Really? You're going to bring to this players who have been drafted for other teams and have never played a minute for the Spurs?

Please, follow your own advice.

ceperez
07-12-2010, 10:28 AM

See:

Hedo Turkoglu
Beno Udrih
John Salmons
Raja Bell
Stephen Jackson
Luis Scola
Leandro Barbosa

To be fair, the list should be:

Hedo Turkoglu
Beno Udrih
Stephen Jackson
Luis Scola

The others were draft picks we traded to other teams. I don't think the Spurs knew who was to be picked prior to the trade.

Still, all these four players are STARTERS IN OTHER TEAMS.

DynastySpurs210
07-12-2010, 10:33 AM
Who cares, he's retarded

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-12-2010, 10:42 AM
Really? You're going to bring to this players who have been drafted for other teams and have never played a minute for the Spurs?

Please, follow your own advice.

The only one on that list who was drafted for another team was Barbosa. But still, we passed on drafting a guy like him at that position for the sake of saving some cash that summer, yet we just blew about $14 million too much on Matt freakin' Bonner.

So damn right I'm going to call Pop out.

hater
07-12-2010, 10:44 AM
and we resign Bonner :pctoss

DesignatedT
07-12-2010, 10:44 AM
Lol you act like other coaches in the NBA always find the talent and develop every single decent prospect they come across. give me a fucking break.

coyotes_geek
07-12-2010, 10:54 AM

When did I say Pop was perfect?

See:

Hedo Turkoglu
Beno Udrih
John Salmons
Raja Bell
Stephen Jackson
Luis Scola
Leandro Barbosa

How exactly is Pop responsible for developing Salmons, Barbosa and Scola when they never played for him?

Beno? :lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

Stephen Jackson left the Spurs a better player than when he got there, so clearly he developed under Pop.

Hedo's departure was a contract decision.

So that leaves Raja Bell. On the flip side, there's way more guys like James White and Pops Mensah-Bonsu who the Spurs cut loose who turned out not to be NBA material, much to the surprise of message boarders who just knew that they would be solid NBA players because they saw a youtube video of them dunking once.

That must be it. It's just so crazy to think that Ian just might not be good enough to play in the NBA. It's so much more logical to believe that the Spurs were deliberately holding back a can't miss big man whom they decided to give a couple million dollars to.

clambake
07-12-2010, 10:57 AM
our dumbass coach won't play him.

Dr. Gonzo
07-12-2010, 11:01 AM
So that leaves Raja Bell. On the flip side, there's way more guys like James White and Pops Mensah-Bonsu who the Spurs cut loose who turned out not to be NBA material, much to the surprise of message boarders who just knew that they would be solid NBA players because they saw a youtube video of them dunking once.

This board was nuts when Pops Mensah-Bonsu was cut. This board is retarded.

That must be it. It's just so crazy to think that Ian just might not be good enough to play in the NBA. It's so much more logical to believe that the Spurs were deliberately holding back a can't miss big man whom they decided to give a couple million dollars to.

QFT

Cane
07-12-2010, 11:05 AM

QFT

:toast

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2010, 11:13 AM
Perfect. Gifting a young athletic bigman prospect to another division rival. For nothing.

Pop has a knack for utterly destroying the confidence of young players. Some survive (Parker, Hill) and others (Udrih) do not.

RC has a knack for sitting on young players who Pop will not play until they have no trade value (Udrih and now Mahinmi).

admiralsnackbar
07-12-2010, 11:14 AM
Specifically against Dirk in that series, I'm not sure that a broom would not have done better than Bonner. My comment had little to do with Ian, but more specifically that McDyess should be credited with doing as good a job with Dirk as anybody can do in this league.

I hope Ian does well wherever he goes. I believe the Spurs saw in Blair a kid with more potential and skill and they already were thinking about Splitter, so I can see why they would let him walk. To me, that doesn't necessarily mean Ian is a scrub. I also agree he didn't get the same chances as Hill or Blair, who were handed rotation minutes right off the bat, even when Hill was pretty shaky in his new role as a PG and a fairly terrible summer league shooting wise.

Then I guess we're agreed -- Dice was phenomenally unsung, and Bonner was phenomenally ineffective. Further, I don't think Ian's written in stone as a scrub either -- I just resist the temptation to think that losing him is a catastrophe when there's only so much cap and roster space on the team. He has all the tools, he just didn't put them together in time. Some will question Pop's judgment about that, but the guy's SL play makes me ok with how things played out.

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2010, 11:15 AM
How do you not even get a pick back for Mahinmi?

coyotes_geek
07-12-2010, 11:17 AM
Keep in mind if we would have signed Diop four years ago to play next to Tim, we'd probably have another ring.

I'm talking about the Desagana Diop who is backing up Nazr Mohammed and Theo Ratliff for the bobcats. Is there some other Desagana Diop out there?

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-12-2010, 11:23 AM
When did I say Pop was perfect?

How exactly is Pop responsible for developing Salmons, Barbosa and Scola when they never played for him?

You didn't ask that, you asked for guys that we missed on.

Beno? :lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

He's a tool, but you can't argue with the numbers he put up in Sacto.

Stephen Jackson left the Spurs a better player than when he got there, so clearly he developed under Pop.

Um, that wasn't the point. Pop balked at giving Buckets a deal that they just gave to superscrub Matt Bonner. That is ridiculous.

Hedo's departure was a contract decision.

And? It's still a player with talent that we let walk and got nothing back for.

Nope, pretty much that whole list meets the original question of guys that the Spurs let walk or traded who turned out to be players.

We paid three times more for Bonner than Dallas is getting Ian for. You don't let young, athletic big men walk for nothing in return.

But again, this is a front office that just paid Matt Bonner starter money to be their 'fifth' big.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-12-2010, 11:24 AM
I'm talking about the Desagana Diop who is backing up Nazr Mohammed and Theo Ratliff for the bobcats. Is there some other Desagana Diop out there?

With Larry Brown as his coach. And we all know Larry gives young players opportunity :rolleyes

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2010, 11:27 AM
As for Beno, how do you manage to get nothing more than a top 50 protected second round pick from Minnesota for a player who within a year ended up inking a five year full MLE deal? This is not to say that deal was wise, that's besides the point. The point is how do you get no value in return on a player who could come anywhere close to commanding a deal like that in the league?

SenorSpur
07-12-2010, 11:34 AM
Beno, Scola...and now Ian. Wonder how this will turn out?

Again, there was no apparent evidence the guy couldn't play. In fact, in the brief minutes he was given, there was something there.

I knew some team would take a chance on Ian. I just didn't think it would be the Mavs. Now he'll be in a situation as the primary backup center and we'll all probably finally get to see why everyone here thinks he's trash.

coyotes_geek
07-12-2010, 11:35 AM
With Larry Brown as his coach. And we all know Larry gives young players opportunity :rolleyes

Diop at 28 years old is still a young guy?

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2010, 11:37 AM
I knew some team would take a chance on Ian. I just didn't think it would be the Mavs. Now he'll be in a situation as the primary backup center and we'll all probably finally get to see why everyone here thinks he's trash.

You hope.

SenorSpur
07-12-2010, 11:40 AM
You hope.

Of course, I can practically smell the meldown that will occur when yet another player the Spurs prematurely got rid of (without adequate compensation), comes back to stick it in their faces.

ElNono
07-12-2010, 11:41 AM
Then I guess we're agreed -- Dice was phenomenally unsung, and Bonner was phenomenally ineffective. Further, I don't think Ian's written in stone as a scrub either -- I just resist the temptation to think that losing him is a catastrophe when there's only so much cap and roster space on the team. He has all the tools, he just didn't put them together in time. Some will question Pop's judgment about that, but the guy's SL play makes me ok with how things played out.

I don't think anybody here is claiming that it's a catastrophe to lose him. My read is that some people think it's a travesty we will be spending circa 16m and 4 years on Bonner, supposedly as a 5th big, when you could have had Ian for 4m/2 seasons. Now, Ian could very well be cut before the ASG for all we know. But if he does pan out to be a serviceable big, the fact that the FO picked him, developed him, and was unable to even get anything out of him would be pretty frustrating.

cantthinkofanything
07-12-2010, 11:45 AM
There's a very good chance we'll all get to see Bonner cover Ian at some point this year.

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2010, 11:47 AM
I don't think anybody here is claiming that it's a catastrophe to lose him. My read is that some people think it's a travesty we will be spending circa 16m and 4 years on Bonner, supposedly as a 5th big, when you could have had Ian for 4m/2 seasons. Now, Ian could very well be cut before the ASG for all we know. But if he does pan out to be a serviceable big, the fact that the FO picked him, developed him, and was unable to even get anything out of him would be pretty frustrating.

Dropping Mahinmi makes sense if the braintrust feels that Richards could end up being a better prospect and they are doing what they can to win now and Bonner's 3 point range is more of an asset than a player Pop won't play. Much better to sign Richards to a small contract and let him play in Austin than pay Mahinmi more to sit behind the bench. I can understand that. What I cannot understand is letting young talent go without getting anything in return.

ducks
07-12-2010, 11:52 AM
Ian wanted guaranteed minutes
he said playing time was going to be a major factor where he goes

pop is not going to promise him playing time
most coaches will not
so ian said FUCK YOU

ElNono
07-12-2010, 11:52 AM
Ya, Carslile is going to guarantee Ian minutes... :rolleyes

My Fault
07-12-2010, 11:54 AM

Yet, where is he now? People on this board can be completely stupid. Makes you wonder if they even watch basketball.

SenorSpur
07-12-2010, 11:58 AM
How do you not even get a pick back for Mahinmi?

MB brings up a good point.

We'veready have seen that this summer FA period has been a boon for players. When Johan Petro gets 3 yrs & 10 mil from the Nets, you know it's a players market That said, you just had to know someone was going to bite on Ian.

Even if the Spurs didn't want to keep Ian for themselves, surely they could've done a S&T so as to get back something (draft pick, future considerations) for him. Since when is stockpiling assets a bad idea?

Dex
07-12-2010, 12:02 PM
Maybe I just never understood the Mahinmi fascination, but even with significant minutes, I'd be surprised to see that guy pan out to be more than a 10/10 type player. Between watching him in Austin and seeing his limited time in the Spurs schemes, he always seemed so incredibly raw and awkward, even after three years. And it's not like he wasn't soaking up minutes down on the Toros.

Maybe Pop really did just shatter his confidence by not giving him a chance, but I gave up on Mahinimi being a breakout star a while ago.

ElNono
07-12-2010, 12:04 PM
In general lines I don't have a problem with this development, just as long as we don't hear this quote again in the future:

"It kills me to have him on that team," Popovich said. "Enough to make you spit."

ElNono
07-12-2010, 12:06 PM
Maybe I just never understood the Mahinmi fascination, but even with significant minutes, I'd be surprised to see that guy pan out to be more than a 10/10 type player.

10/10 player? :wow

In comparison, Matt Bonner is a 7/4 player..

Ditty
07-12-2010, 12:06 PM
Bonner>>>>>>Ian

Amarelooms
07-12-2010, 12:18 PM
http://www.dallasbasketball.com/fullColumn.php?id=3299

Figured Roddy B played a role in him coming to the Mavs. This is all well and good he can sit the bench and cheer. Now hopefully Cuban wakes up and trades for Al Jefferson

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-12-2010, 12:19 PM
Ian wanted guaranteed minutes
he said playing time was going to be a major factor where he goes

pop is not going to promise him playing time
most coaches will not
so ian said FUCK YOU

Where do you pull this stuff out of? Mavs aren't promising him anything other than the LLE.

FuzzyLumpkins
Maybe I just never understood the Mahinmi fascination, but even with significant minutes, I'd be surprised to see that guy pan out to be more than a 10/10 type player. Between watching him in Austin and seeing his limited time in the Spurs schemes, he always seemed so incredibly raw and awkward, even after three years. And it's not like he wasn't soaking up minutes down on the Toros.

Maybe Pop really did just shatter his confidence by not giving him a chance, but I gave up on Mahinimi being a breakout star a while ago.

A 10/10 player big starts on over half the teams in the league.

Aggie Hoopsfan
There's a very good chance we'll all get to see Ian blow by Bonner a couple of times this year.

fify.

SenorSpur
07-12-2010, 12:27 PM

Call it whatever you want. A young, raw, athletic player, who seemingly possesses good skills, along with an ability to score and defend in the low post are tangbile qualities that the Spurs are seemingly in short supply. Combine that with a frontline that is aged and has heavily relied on one HOF player to carry the bulk of the frontcourt load, at both ends, and then you'll know why Ian was an intriguing possibility.

Even with the Splitter deal nearing completion, and looking down the road toward the eventual departures of Dice and perhaps Duncan, and you simply wonder if it getting rid of him was prematurely was the right move? The Fakers and Celtics have reaffirmed the fact that, as much as some coaches are married to the gimmicky "small ball" concept, the games are STILL won and lost in the paint. Teams that win the rebounding battle, usually prevail in the playoffs. You don't win those battles, with slow-footed, "stretch 4s", who can't hit open shots and are are liabilities at defense and rebounding. A team simply cannot have enough talented bigs. And watching Duncan completely get worn down the past 2 postseasons has been proof of that fact.

While no one is proclaiming Ian as the second coming of Moses Malone, the fact is none of us know exactly what he was or could be. Until I see him sucking, as a rotational player on an NBA roster, I'll be intrigued as to how he could've performed here.

PDXSpursFan
07-12-2010, 12:28 PM
I hate to see him in a Mavs jersey. I prefer to see him in the east coast.

Don't worry. You won't see him on a Mavs jersey. He'll always stay on street clothes :lol

silverblk mystix
07-12-2010, 12:28 PM
re: Mahinmi

only two things will matter when all is said and done...

#1--if Ian proves to be a good nba player--even just a rotation/bench contributor

...then the only thing that will NOT make this a stupid blunder by Pop & RC is;

a) if Bonner has a much better year to justify losing Ian---AND ---his bloated salary

b) if Richards ends up making the team---AND gets a chance to play significant
minutes----AND ends up being a steal and a better player than ian

#2) if Ian sucks as bad or worse than he did with the spurs---even with MORE playing
time---THEN ---the Ian haters can gloat all the want

for the record I think Ian should have been kept OVER bonner---we'll soon find out who knew their shit

and although I like Ian and wish him well---I would be happy to eat crow to have the spurs headed in the right direction at the expense of Ian sucking

clubalien
07-12-2010, 12:32 PM
:lol Like clockwork. Spurs could trade Tim to the Lakers for Luke Walton and Tpark would be on here saying how it's a good move.

clearly that is a good move becuase tim will retire. and we get make luke walton and draft picks.

luke walton means more tv time with the walton broadcaster a nd the draft picks could be huge.

besides it gives a chance for tim to retire a laker

smrattler
07-12-2010, 12:38 PM

If he even has an NBA career, of any kind, that last past another season...

ChumpDumper
07-12-2010, 12:41 PM

We'veready have seen that this summer FA period has been a boon for players. When Johan Petro gets 3 yrs & 10 mil from the Nets, you know it's a players market That said, you just had to know someone was going to bite on Ian.

Even if the Spurs didn't want to keep Ian for themselves, surely they could've done a S&T so as to get back something (draft pick, future considerations) for him. Since when is stockpiling assets a bad idea?Please explain why Dallas should bother to give the Spurs anything in return.

jag
07-12-2010, 12:49 PM
I guess you have to assume the Spurs considered the idea of a S&T with Ian, because it's ridiculous to think they're acting flippantly with roster moves. Maybe the fact that they had to let him walk means that they couldn't find any takers for a S&T. And a S&T doesn't make sense when Ian isn't due much money and a team can sign him outright.

coyotes_geek
07-12-2010, 12:50 PM

Even if the Spurs didn't want to keep Ian for themselves, surely they could've done a S&T so as to get back something (draft pick, future considerations) for him. Since when is stockpiling assets a bad idea?

If there's an S&T possibility I'm sure the Spurs would be interested. But in this case it's not. Dallas is over the cap so they would have to send out salary to make the trade work. Dallas obviously isn't going to be interested in a deal where they have to give up a player to get Ian when they can just sign Ian outright. Dallas also probably isn't in the mood to help the Spurs stockpile assets.

smrattler
07-12-2010, 12:54 PM
http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/07/11/2327773/dallas-mavericks-close-in-on-deal.html

What is Cuban doing....offering the fully MLE to Haslem and now this guy???

Just for your information, since you will now be the fan base hoping and praying he will one day be a steady dose of the flashes he shows.

His first name, Ian, is pronounced "Yawn". And it comes in handy when hearing people around you talk about his "potential" and "upside".

Dex
07-12-2010, 12:55 PM

That's more of an indictment against the current state of the league than anything else, but good point.

Still, if Mahinmi's peak is 10/10 (and thats a big IF), I still don't think it's that big of a loss. Frustrating, yes. But for whatever reason, he just wasn't going to put up those numbers here, Pop be damned or not.

ChumpDumper
07-12-2010, 12:57 PM
That's more of an indictment against the current state of the league than anything else, but good point.

Still, if Mahinmi's peak is 10/10 (and thats a big IF), I still don't think it's that big of a loss. Frustrating, yes. But for whatever reason, he just wasn't going to put up those numbers here, Pop be damned or not.In his best D-League season, Ian averaged eight rebounds in just under 30 mpg.

He's not going to get 10 boards a game in the NBA.

coyotes_geek
07-12-2010, 12:58 PM

More than that. Only 8 guys in the entire NBA put up 10/10 last year. Some pretty familiar names like Duncan, Bosh, Howard and Boozer in there.

ElNono
07-12-2010, 12:58 PM
More than that. Only 8 guys in the entire NBA put up 10/10 last year. Some pretty familiar names like Duncan, Bosh, Howard and Boozer in there.

Yeah, I thought 10/10 was a bit too much.

SenorSpur
07-12-2010, 01:02 PM
Please explain why Dallas should bother to give the Spurs anything in return.

I'll give you three reasons.

1. Young athletic big men get multiple opportunities in this league.

2. Players coming from the Spurs organization are highly valued moreso than say, the Clippers or Warriors.

3. Because it's a players market and there are a few teams holding cap space that are carelessly throwing $$$ at free agents players, like it's going out of style. I've already cited, in another post, the ridiculous contract that Johan Petro received in free agency.

I find it hard to believe that the Spurs couldn't have at least garned a pick out Ian.

SenorSpur
07-12-2010, 01:03 PM
If there's an S&T possibility I'm sure the Spurs would be interested. But in this case it's not. Dallas is over the cap so they would have to send out salary to make the trade work. Dallas obviously isn't going to be interested in a deal where they have to give up a player to get Ian when they can just sign Ian outright. Dallas also probably isn't in the mood to help the Spurs stockpile assets.

Point taken.

ChumpDumper
07-12-2010, 01:07 PM
I'll give you three reasons.

1. Young athletic big men get multiple opportunities in this league.

2. Players coming from the Spurs organization are highly valued moreso than say, the Clippers or Warriors.

3. Because it's a players market and there are a few teams holding cap space that are carelessly throwing $$$ at free agents players, like it's going out of style. I've already cited, in another post, the ridiculous contract that Johan Petro received in free agency.

I find it hard to believe that the Spurs couldn't have at least garned a pick out Ian.You gave no reason why DALLAS should trade something for Ian.

clambake
07-12-2010, 01:07 PM
His first name, Ian, is pronounced "Yawn".

this, likely, sums it up.

Dex
07-12-2010, 01:12 PM

10/10 goes a lot further than I realized these days. :wow

Bruno
07-12-2010, 01:22 PM
What is excessive is ridiculous and both Mahinmi's "haters" and "lovers" have been excessive in this thread.

Mahinmi hasn't played enough minutes in the NBA to know how good or bad he is. The best proof of this uncertainty about him is that Spurs' FO has given up on him while Mavs' FO will spend $4.3M on him.

While we all have an opinion about Ian, none of us have seen him enough play to be sure that our evaluation is the right one. You can continue to argue during dozens of pages of whether Ian sucks or rules but it will lead you nowhere. Spurs have given up on him. Future will tell if they were right or wrong. There is really nothing to add at that.

lurker23
07-12-2010, 02:06 PM
What is excessive is ridiculous and both Mahinmi's "haters" and "lovers" have been excessive in this thread.

Mahinmi hasn't played enough minutes in the NBA to know how good or bad he is. The best proof of this uncertainty about him is that Spurs' FO has given up on him while Mavs' FO will spend $4.3M on him.

While we all have an opinion about Ian, none of us have seen him enough play to be sure that our evaluation is the right one. You can continue to argue during dozens of pages of whether Ian sucks or rules but it will lead you nowhere. Spurs have given up on him. Future will tell if they were right or wrong. There is really nothing to add at that.

:tu As usual, Bruno hits the nail on the head. All we can really do is wait and see what happens.

For the record, the thought of "What is excessive is ridiculous" applies to pretty much everything. For the sake of this board, it can be applied to players such as Matt Bonner and Pops Mensah-Bonsu.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-12-2010, 02:10 PM

Still, if Mahinmi's peak is 10/10 (and thats a big IF), I still don't think it's that big of a loss.

Yeah, instead we're giving Bonner $16 mil to get us 7 and 4. :lmao

sribb43
07-12-2010, 02:49 PM
If this guy does see the floor, he will be this version of DJ MbEnga from 4-5 years ago

K-State Spur
07-12-2010, 02:55 PM
Yeah, instead we're giving Bonner $16 mil to get us 7 and 4. :lmao

Bonner is a playoff choker who serves no purpose on a team with championship aspirations - we all get this.

But can we quit comparing him to Ian 1:1 - they serve different roles on the team.

Yeah, I'd rather than Ian than MB, but Ian is utterly redundant with the roster for next year. We'd have to see multiple major injuries for him to get any significant PT. And if that happens, the team is screwed regardless of whether or not it is him or Bonner out there.

DespЏrado
07-12-2010, 03:00 PM

The Spurs were desperate for Ian to develop into anything more than a bench warming scrub. Ian had all the opportunities in the world. The fact that he couldn't buy playing time is all the proof that we need that he isn't what spurs fans make him out to be.

50 cent
07-12-2010, 03:16 PM
LOL....I've been telling you guys for years how much Ian sucks. Let him go.

wildbill2u
07-12-2010, 03:37 PM
Who mentioned replacing him?

YOU and other always retort with that same shit---who will take his place?

Why can't Pop simply be questioned--like it is done in every other NBA city?

I have seen other coaches, gm's, even owners---get pressured---or at least questioned by the media during post game conferences---except for Pop--he seems to have found a way to avoid that...

by being a complete intimidating asshole to anyone asking a tough question--this is where a good owner could look into things and see if his coach might be slipping, to see if his employee might be getting complacent or fuckin senile.

The worrisome part it seems is that his job is NEVER questioned and he keeps getting MORE set in his ways, MORE prone to keep doing things only HIS way and the league has changed. It seems as though he has not ADAPTED at all and no-one is able to question him,etc...

as far as a replacement...ANY name I could post here will only be met with disdain, ridicule and a list of reasons why Pop is superior---but if it ever came to really replacing Pop---I believe that it would NOT be as important to find someone with a better resume' as it would be just to bring in a fresh attitude, a new outlook---a young coach who isn't set in his ways and STILL has that fire of wanting to win a championship---to still prove himself.

Along with Pop's awesome accomplishments , unfortunately, comes a bit of contentment, an attitude of---it is only basketball---it is unreasonable to expect a championship every season, that team is better than everyone else--no-one is on the lakers level---

all of those thing, IMO , are NOT a good sign---and although Pop should be commended for his straightforward honesty---it seems to me to also mean that he is not as hungry anymore, and this is just basketball--nothing to get too wound up about...

on the other hand---a young unproven coach would have NOTHING else on his mind except winning a title AT ALL COSTS---he would have the FIRE that POP seems to have lost long,long ago.

Remember that fire? Remember Pop's passion?

Now contrast it with the last coupla' years with Pop giving the message to his team that it is ok to loaf through the regular season---until the playoffs arrive...
or...

the attitude that once a team seems to be winning handily---just throw in the towel--because---well we just did not have it tonight...

etc...

You answered your own question. Pop can tear any media jerk a new one with his sarcasm. They simply aren't used to that kind of response and can't take looking foolish.

Spurs Brazil
07-12-2010, 04:16 PM
Mahinmi, 23, averaged 3.9 points and 2.0 rebounds in 26 games for the San Antonio Spurs last season. The French center played briefly in two games against the Mavericks in their first-round playoff series. According to the source, the deal is believed to be for the bi-annual exception of about $2 million per season. The second year is a team option.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba/news/story?id=5374037

Bruno
07-12-2010, 05:18 PM
http://twitter.com/ArtGarcia_NBA/status/18385690557

Mavs agree to 2-year deal w/Spurs C Ian Mahinmi for vet's min (about $1.8m total). 2nd year team option. Signing pending physical.

That's a nice cheap gamble for Mavs. :tu

underdawg
07-12-2010, 05:18 PM
good for Ian

Doesn't matter what any nba talent scouts on here say - he lives on to get another chance. Hopefully, he'll finally get one.

underdawg
07-12-2010, 05:21 PM
:lmao

Anyone here will tell you practice means nothing and Pop is stupid.

why don't you admit you nothing about what goes on in practice and you're basically talking out of your ass when you say he's had chances in practice?

Spurs Brazil
07-12-2010, 05:22 PM
http://twitter.com/ArtGarcia_NBA/status/18385690557

That's a nice cheap gamble for Mavs. :tu

Minimum deal. That's good deal for the Mavs

pablo3po
07-12-2010, 07:51 PM
Immediately after signing his contract with Mavs Ian fouled out of the entire season ...

Dex
07-12-2010, 07:52 PM
Spent three years with the Spurs only to become a Mav for the vet min?

Somebody sounds bitter. :cry

Jace
07-12-2010, 08:03 PM
Ian still has a lot of potential, if the Mavs give him a shot he may prove the Spurs wrong

Obstructed_View
07-12-2010, 10:08 PM
Spent three years with the Spurs only to become a Mav for the vet min?

Somebody sounds bitter. :cry

If he thinks he can play, then the Mavs is a pretty good choice. Dampier's ripe for the picking at backup, and Brendan Haywood ain't exactly a world-beater.

slick'81
07-12-2010, 10:11 PM
i wonder if dallas cuts ian loose and lets him take over the nba

Obstructed_View
07-12-2010, 10:25 PM
I have yet to hear anyone say they're happy he's gone, they just continue to assert that he can't play in the hopes that he fails in Dallas. I hope he fails in Dallas just because it would be bad for the Mavs if he does.

smrattler
07-12-2010, 10:35 PM
I have yet to hear anyone say they're happy he's gone...

Let me end the suspense for ya...

I'm happy he's gone. Yay!!!!!!

Behrooz24
07-12-2010, 10:51 PM
Ian "MIP" Mahinmi
BOOK IT!

Trill Clinton
07-12-2010, 10:57 PM
Good riddens

J_Paco
07-12-2010, 11:22 PM
Do people realize that Ian signed for more than his option would've cost (1 yr./$1.7M to 2 yrs./4.3M)? I just don't understand why they held onto him all of last season, if they had no intention of re-signing him or making a offer?

Had his option been picked up he would've been an easy piece to add to a trade package. Now, we're stuck with Matt Bonner for another (possible) 4 years at an inflated rate. A situation where Bonner will likely move back into the rotation after this upcoming season.

Had he signed with any team other than the Mavericks, Lakers or Rockets I would've rooted for him. But, now I've gotta go against my optimism for him and hope he's nothing more than a Josh Boone/Aaron Gray-type player. We'll soon find out................

BackHome
07-13-2010, 12:18 AM
Remember when we had Pops on our team and everyone bitched when we let him go and the Raptors signed him? Can anyone tell me what NBA team he is playing on?

Obstructed_View
07-13-2010, 01:16 AM
Remember when we had Pops on our team and everyone bitched when we let him go and the Raptors signed him? Can anyone tell me what NBA team he is playing on?

Remember when the Spurs' front line was so fucking bad that Pops was better than anyone not named Timmy?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-13-2010, 01:18 AM
A real pity. I think he'll develop into a really nice rotation player if given 20-24 regular minutes a game, and it annoys me that Dallas will probably reap the rewards.

I was very surprised when the Spurs declined Mahinmi's option before last season, because the moment the FO did that he was gone - we could have had him dirt cheap for another year, giving him more time to develop. I would have signed his option, and then played him a lot early to rest Dice and Tim for later in the season and post-season.

I think this is a practice we should adopt - play the youngsters early in the season (for the first 2-3 months) to rest the vets' (esp. Tim, Manu, Dice) legs. Most teams are in disarray for the first 4-6 weeks of the season, and that would be a great time to blood our youngsters whilst using the vets sparingly. In other words, it's time we started using the true 15-man depth of the roster in a strategic sense across the entire season.

We are essentially a rebuilding team right now, at the same time as we are still trying to contend. It is time we realised that our older players don't need to play all 82 games (imagine how fresh their legs will be at the end if they've only played 60-65!).

Also, go and take a look at the rosters of the other teams around the league. The whole NBA is currently in a transition phase - many of the stalwart players of the last 15 years have disappeared and the league is now on average very young, inexperienced and athletic. How about we give our young crop of athletes experience early in the season when other teams are weak, and help rest our old blokes at the same time? Makes sense to me.