PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Spurs Summer League Preview

timvp
07-12-2010, 06:17 AM
Over the course of the next week, the San Antonio Spurs summer league squad will play a total of five contests. Although draft picks James Anderson (injury) and Ryan Richards (overseas contractual issues) won't suit up, the Spurs will learn a lot about a handful of players who have a legit chance of making the roster in the fall. Here's what to watch for:

DeJuan Blair
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/4642.jpg
In his rookie campaign, DeJuan Blair lived up to expectation -- and then some. This summer, the 21-year-old from Pittsburgh will be looking to expand his game with the goal of being able to play power forward. Last year, Blair was a 6-foot-7 center, and while he played well, he'll hold much more value as a forward. To make the transition, Blair needs to knock down face-up jumpers on the offensive end. Defensively, Blair has to become more mobile, more comfortable defending the perimeter and learn how to defend the pick-and-roll.

Garrett Temple
http://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/pics22/200/EA/EAKOXZMOQLFNMMA.20080911173753.jpg
Garrett Temple came out of nowhere late last season to start four games at point guard for the Spurs. In those starts, he averaged 11.3 points, 3.3 rebounds and 1.5 assists while knocking down 51.7% of his shots from the floor and 53.8% of his three-pointers. His height (6-foot-6), ball-handling ability and defensive mindset make him an interesting prospect who could potential play three positions. Preferably, the Spurs would like Temple to be able to run the show on offense while being a lockdown defender on the other end. A very poor offensive player in college, Temple needs to show that he's truly made strides as a shooter and scorer. On the defensive end, if he can show the ability to defend players of various sizes, it would help his chances of making the team next year.

Alonzo Gee
http://vmedia.rivals.com/IMAGES/PROSPECT/PHOTO/ALONZOGEEADIDAS150.JPG
Alonzo Gee bounced around last year. After going undrafted out of Alabama, Gee was on the Spurs summer league team but hardly played -- averaging 2.2 points in seven minutes per game. But with the Toros, Gee flourished. He averaged 21 points, 6.6 rebounds and 1.3 assists while shooting 50.9% from the floor and 39.3% from downtown. Gee was called up to the Washington Wizards and averaged 7.4 points and three rebounds in 17 minutes per contest on a pair of ten-day contracts. Before the Wizards could sign him for the rest of the season, the Spurs swooped in and gave Gee guaranteed money to woo him back to San Antonio. In this year's summer league, the 6-foot-6 swingman is perhaps the most important man on the roster. An elite athlete, Gee needs to keep developing his basketball talents. Offensively, hitting outside shots will be key, as will showing he can dribble well enough to consistently attack the rim and utilize his hops. On defense, Gee has the athleticism and strength to be a really good defender -- now he just needs to put it all together. Defensive rebounding is another area he can separate himself.

Curtis Jerrells
http://vmedia.rivals.com/IMAGES/PROSPECT/PHOTO/CURTISJERRELLSADIDAS150.JPG
Last season, Curtis Jerrells almost made the Spurs out of training camp. He went on to star with the Toros, averaging 20.7 points, 5.7 assists and 4.5 rebounds in 40.2 minutes per game while connecting on 47.1% of his field goals and 37.6% of his three-pointers. At this point of his development, the 6-foot-1 Jerrells is truthfully more of a shooting guard. To make it in the NBA, he'll obviously need to become a point guard. On offense, the Spurs are looking for him to improve his ball-handling, decision-making and court vision. Jerrells is inconsistent defensively. He can sometimes be really good ... and sometimes be really bad. If he can do more of the former and less of the latter during summer league play, there's no reason for him not to be invited to training camp yet again.

James Gist
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/rivals/full.48103/768d6dbd83e734380a291f9ca8732201/james-gist.jpg
Ah, the enigma that is James Gist. A second round pick in the 2008 NBA Draft, Gist played really well in the 2008 summer league, averaging 10.8 points and 7.3 rebounds in 22.8 minutes per game. Last year's summer league didn't go quite as swimmingly. In 19.2 minutes per game, Gist averaged only 5.6 points and 3.8 rebounds as he massively struggled in making the transition from power forward to small forward. In a perfect world, the 6-foot-9 Gist could play out on the floor at either forward position. This summer, it'll be interesting to see which position the Spurs have Gist play. Either way, Gist needs to bounce back from his poor showing last year if he wants to continue to be considered a legit NBA prospect.

Gary Neal
http://www.fcbarcelona.cat/web/thumbnails/199_150/Imatges/2007-2008/basquet/noticies/Jugadors/neal/neaL-ficha.jpg
Of the players on this team without direct ties to the Spurs, Gary Neal is by far the best prospect. He played in Italy last year and did quite well, averaging 19.4 points, 4.2 rebounds and 2.8 assists in 21 Italian league games. Even though he's technically a 6-foot-4 shooting guard, Neal has the ability to run halfcourt sets and create for others. On the European level, he has three-point range and is also considered a decent defender. The 25-year-old went to Towson University and doesn't have summer league experience so this is really his first time for him to show what he can do against top notch athletes. He's definitely the potential sleeper of this group.

Michael Cuffee
http://www.goblueraiders.com/content.cfm/id/11224
Malik Hairston was originally on the summer league roster but he was replaced by Michael Cuffee. The Spurs say they are happy with what Hairston brings to the table so a third year of summer league play wasn't necessary. As for Cuffee, he's been off the radar lately. Last season, he played for Unione Cestistica Casalpusterlengo in Italy, averaging 11.2 points and 5.2 rebounds per game. The 6-foot-5 swingman out of Middle Tennessee State averaged 9.9 points and 2.9 rebounds in 23.2 minutes per game with the Utah Flash of the NBA D-League in 2007-08.

Tyler Wilkerson
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/mars/sports/m-baskbl/auto_headshot/3749280.jpeg
A bigman out of Marshall got a lot of attention in the 2010 NBA Draft. Hassan Whiteside, a seven-foot jumping jack, was the third pick of the second round by the Sacramento Kings. Tyler Wilkerson is the other bigman out of Marshall. He actually led the Thundering Herd in scoring at 14 points per game and was second to Whiteside in rebounding (7.2). The 6-foot-8 power forward showed a bit of three-point range (14-for-46) and appeared to steadily improve in his four years at Marshall. He's not a horribly impressive prospect on paper but if he can show NBA three-point range, the Spurs could be interested in adding another perimeter shooting bigman.

Bryan Davis
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/tam/sports/m-baskbl/auto_headshot/2375879.jpeg
A 6-foot-9 bigman out of Texas A&M, Bryan Davis was very solid on the college level. In his senior season, he averaged 9.6 points, 8.1 rebounds and 1.7 blocks per game. Unfortunately, it's doubtful that Davis' skill-set will translate to the NBA. He plays like a center but doesn't have enough athleticism or size to play that position on the next level. Davis is strong and hustles but that is doubtful to be enough. A native of Texas, Davis has a good chance to play for the Toros if he so wishes. Otherwise, he could make it in Europe.

Josh Lomers
http://vmedia.rivals.com/IMAGES/PROSPECT/PHOTO/JOSH-LOMERS150.JPG
Josh Lomers went to high school about thirty minutes north of San Antonio in Boerne and played his college basketball at Baylor ... and that's about the extent of why the Spurs have him on their summer league roster. He's 7-feet and around 280 pound but averaged only 6.6 points and 3.7 rebounds as a senior. Lomers isn't a total stiff but a combination of fouls and asthma limits his ability to stay on the court. To his credit, Lomers played the best basketball of his life as Baylor made their Elite Eight run. During summer league, he will simply be looking to pique the interest of international scouts.

Squeaky Johnson and Eric Dawson
http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/93/m_83f66fa35d8c4964a18bdcbdf4d2c1ed.jpg
Both Squeaky Johnson and Eric Dawson have spent parts of the last three seasons with the Austin Toros. Their involvement on this team is mostly a reward for their loyalty and for practice purposes. Don't expect to see either one play more than a couple of minutes.

spurs50_
07-12-2010, 06:45 AM
The spurs are happy with what hairston brings to the table? Three years later and we still don't know if he can play.

Muser
07-12-2010, 06:45 AM
Nice work, thanks.

I'm excited most about Temple, we already know Blair will beast but Temple really looks like he could be a diamond in the rough.

Chieflion
07-12-2010, 07:18 AM
Alonzo Gee is the guy I am most excited about. Hope he shows us some good defense and leads this offense.

biziofromdowntown
07-12-2010, 07:20 AM
I'm waiting to see Gist. He should shine or die. By far best athlete in our roster.

Em-City
07-12-2010, 07:25 AM
would love to see Gee do his thing, and maybe even some decent mins (along with hairston and temple) in some pre-season games as well :ihit

Darkwaters
07-12-2010, 07:31 AM
The enigma that is Gary Neal. I'm very curious.

Bruno
07-12-2010, 07:41 AM
Nice summary.

I find interesting to look at how the contract of Gee, Jerrels and Temple are structured:
- Gee's contract is $100K guaranteed and becomes $200K guaranteed on November 25th.
- Jerrells contract if non guaranteed.
- Temple's contract is $35K guaranteed and becomes $110K guaranteed on August 5th.

On one side, there are Jerrells and Gee. Spurs don't have to make a decision before the end of the training camp about them. Gee and Jerrells will have a second chance during the training camp even if they are horrible during the SL.
On the other side, there is Temple. Spurs had to decide before the training camp if they are ready to commit $75K more on him. After his great stint with Spurs, he should be kept after August 5th but it could be put in jeopardy with a really bad SL.

oligarchy
07-12-2010, 09:08 AM
Just a note: It's former and latter, not ladder.

Russ
07-12-2010, 09:22 AM
I doubt this roster loses a single summer league game. The Spurs will probably get as much benefit from this week as a whole Toros season. (Well, maybe.)

TDMVPDPOY
07-12-2010, 09:32 AM
why not just keep temple and gee, forget the rest...and develop them?

ffadicted
07-12-2010, 09:35 AM
Hate to see James out, but understand it. I really hope Temple is a standout this summer and in training camp, I'd love to see him as a backup to Tony and Hill as a project this year.

L.I.T
07-12-2010, 09:37 AM
Curious to see if another year in the Euro game, getting acclimated to more perimeter oriented play, will offer any noticeable improvements in James Gist's game.

His height, length and raw physical tools remain intriguing. But I really haven't heard or seen anything about him since SL last year.

Other than that, looking to see if Gary Neal can make a play for the development PG position and if Temple can improve on his showing last year.

Kori Ellis
07-12-2010, 09:42 AM
Just a note: It's former and latter, not ladder.

Oh I'm sure there's more typos than that. timvp wrote it at 5am before going to sleep. :lol

xellos88330
07-12-2010, 09:52 AM
I can't wait for this to start!

rjv
07-12-2010, 10:09 AM
thanks-always look forward to your perceptions. they were spot on last summer.

The_Worlds_finest
07-12-2010, 10:30 AM
yes i need to learn to read instead of looking at pictures

DesignatedT
07-12-2010, 10:36 AM
Show us what you got Gee!!!

Solid D
07-12-2010, 10:36 AM
Excellent work, timvp! The player I'm most interested in seeing improvement in is Garrett Temple. He was a wonderful surprise last season. I don't know if he can keep up with some of the smaller, quicker point guards in the league but he really brings a fearlessness, energy and ability to finish to a Spurs bench that sorely needs these character traits.

James Gist did some nice things in Russia last year (team's 3rd best scorer, 2nd best rebounder, best shot blocker) but his 3-point shooting wasn't that great. The Spurs really need a combo 3-4 who can defend. Is there one in this group? Probably not.

EricB
07-12-2010, 10:40 AM
Id like to see Gee have a good summer league. He's got crazy good athleticism, a good jumper, and as TIMVP said all the tools to be a great defender.

Hope he can put it together and have a shot at a spot in camp.

Solid D
07-12-2010, 10:52 AM
2009-10 Russian Superleague-A
Blocks Per Game
http://www.eurobasket.com/photos/Gist_James.jpg James GIST
Lokomotiv K.
(203-F-86)
Avg: 1.2

1. Gist, Lokomotiv K. 1.2
2. Mozgov, Khimky 1.0
3. Monya, Dynamo M. 1.0
4. Khryapa, CSKA 1.0
5. Kaun, CSKA 0.9
6. Savenkov, Lokomoti. 0.9
7. Vasilyev, Dynamo M. 0.8
8. Douthit, Krasnie . 0.8
9. Javtokas, Khimky 0.7
10. Savrasenko, Dynamo M. 0.6

ElNono
07-12-2010, 11:04 AM
Good stuff :tu...

TimDunkem
07-12-2010, 11:07 AM
2009-10 Russian Superleague-A
Blocks Per Game
http://www.eurobasket.com/photos/Gist_James.jpg James GIST
Lokomotiv K.
(203-F-86)
Avg: 1.2

1. Gist, Lokomotiv K. 1.2
2. Mozgov, Khimky 1.0
3. Monya, Dynamo M. 1.0
4. Khryapa, CSKA 1.0
5. Kaun, CSKA 0.9
6. Savenkov, Lokomoti. 0.9
7. Vasilyev, Dynamo M. 0.8
8. Douthit, Krasnie . 0.8
9. Javtokas, Khimky 0.7
10. Savrasenko, Dynamo M. 0.6
I'm kind of surprised to see Gist leading in blocks. Good for him. Let's hope he shows some of that defense today.

benefactor
07-12-2010, 11:14 AM
Gist and Neal are the two that I am most interested to see(I think we know whats there with Gee and Temple). If Neal can translate the effectiveness of his game over to the NBA then he could be a nice surprise and a potential quality role player off the bench. Gist has his destiny in his own hands. He needs to be ultra aggressive on both ends of the floor and show he can knock down that perimeter shot with consistency.

RiverwalkParade
07-12-2010, 11:40 AM
Very excited to see a youth movement for the Spurs. Probably a year or two overdue, but goodto see nonetheless.

AFBlue
07-12-2010, 11:59 AM
The two most intriguing stories for me are...

1) The development of DeJuan Blair's "4" game. Can he hit elbow and baseline jumpers, and can he defend out on the perimeter.

2) Seeing which Gist will show up. Can Gist recapture the poise and focus with which he played in 2008? Because we know his effort and intensity will be there regardless.

Spurologist
07-12-2010, 12:03 PM
I still wish Ryan Richards was on the summer league roster. I suppose others were more worthy. I'm guessing he'll wind up with the Toros

mazerrackham
07-12-2010, 01:23 PM
I still wish Ryan Richards was on the summer league roster. I suppose others were more worthy. I'm guessing he'll wind up with the Toros

He's only not on the roster because of european contractual obligations, not because he was not worthy.

Gagnrath
07-12-2010, 01:32 PM
Temple is a legit 6'5" saying 6'6" is pushing it but believable in sneakers.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
07-12-2010, 01:38 PM
I really hope Gee and Temple do great, I want them to make the team.

ElNono
07-12-2010, 02:00 PM
What's the over/under of seeing Tiago alongside Pop in the stands in today's game?

ChumpDumper
07-12-2010, 02:02 PM
What's the over/under of seeing Tiago alongside Pop in the stands in today's game?As Tiago is in San Antonio, I'll bet against that.

taps
07-12-2010, 02:27 PM
does that picture of Gist vaguely remind anybody else of Centerpiece? The eyes and mouth espcially remind me of bogans

rayray2k8
07-12-2010, 02:33 PM
This will should either make or break ties with Gist. Hope he does well.

angelbelow
07-12-2010, 02:35 PM
Very awesome

biziofromdowntown
07-12-2010, 02:39 PM
JG stat: 12 pp 8 r 1 blk (or better if he'll play more than 14 min)

MannyIsGod
07-12-2010, 03:10 PM
What's the over/under of seeing Tiago alongside Pop in the stands in today's game?

:lol

Do you know what over/under is bro?

ElNono
07-12-2010, 03:15 PM
:lol

Do you know what over/under is bro?

Sure brah... Over-Under (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Over-under)...

ElNono
07-12-2010, 03:15 PM
As Tiago is in San Antonio, I'll bet against that.

I get that.. but isn't it a short flight from SA to Vegas?

timvp
07-12-2010, 05:21 PM
Speaking of heights, Gee's official pre-draft measurement had him closer to 6-foot-7. That one inch could be helpful if he is to become a full-time small forward.

ace3g
07-12-2010, 05:30 PM
spurs

Today's starters for the Spurs: Eric Dawson, James Gist, Michael Cuffee, Garrett Temple and Alonzo Ge

Bruno
07-12-2010, 05:43 PM
Speaking of heights, Gee's official pre-draft measurement had him closer to 6-foot-7. That one inch could be helpful if he is to become a full-time small forward.

I didn't look at his measurements but you're right, he is 6'6.5" with a 6'10" wingspan and weighted 225. It isn't the ideal size for a SF but it isn't that undersized.

Bruno
07-12-2010, 05:57 PM
Derrel Watkins? Who the hell are these people?

You don't know Darryl Watkins?

He was great 2 years ago during the preseason with Spurs and a lot of people wanted to keep him over Tolliver.

tdunk21
07-12-2010, 06:14 PM
who is the #10 jersey player?

tdunk21
07-12-2010, 06:22 PM
^nvm...its gist

Russ
07-12-2010, 07:04 PM
Gary Neal
http://www.fcbarcelona.cat/web/thumbnails/199_150/Imatges/2007-2008/basquet/noticies/Jugadors/neal/neaL-ficha.jpg
Of the players on this team without direct ties to the Spurs, Gary Neal is by far the best prospect. He played in Italy last year and did quite well, averaging 19.4 points, 4.2 rebounds and 2.8 assists in 21 Italian league games. Even though he's technically a 6-foot-4 shooting guard, Neal has the ability to run halfcourt sets and create for others. On the European level, he has three-point range and is also considered a decent defender. The 25-year-old went to Towson University and doesn't have summer league experience so this is really his first time for him to show what he can do against top notch athletes. He's definitely the potential sleeper of this group.

4-4 with 2 treys so far . . .

SenorSpur
07-12-2010, 08:55 PM
Excellent writeup Timvp!

You continuously "surpass" even yourself.

While I'll be paying attention to Blair & Temple, I'm very anxious to get a look at both Gee and Gist. Gee has already proven he can play at this level. I've not seen him "ball" yet, but sounds as though he's got some impressive tools. Gist, on the other hand, is certainly the "enigma" that he was billed. I just wonder what is to become of him. Hopefully, he can resort back to the level that he demonstrated in 2008 SL.

galvatron3000
07-12-2010, 09:20 PM
so how did you guys think of Gist and Gee, I missed most of the game but caught Temple go down. Coach Pop is going to cry...oh wait that wasn't his Finley mancrush replacement Matt Bonner, oh well.

Anyway, what did you guys think

Solid D
07-12-2010, 11:02 PM
Well, I stated in this thread prior to the game that I was most looking forward to seeing Garrett Temple's improvement. Even though he was injured, I've seen enough to be quite pleased with Garrett's progress. He's what the Spurs need on the perimeter as an energy player.

EricB
07-12-2010, 11:18 PM
Yeah the Pop interview he practically slobbered over Temple.

Gee too. Awesome to hear because from the couple games I saw of him in Austin I love his game and his athleticism. If that jumper continues to get better he's gonna be a good one.

BackHome
07-13-2010, 12:09 AM
I liked Temple and the kid from Europe..Neal.......both played realy good.