PDA

View Full Version : Think Tiago, forget Bonner!

lotr1trekkie
07-12-2010, 10:33 AM
On a day when Splitter may be signing up, ST is still focused on Bonner. Get over it! Bonner got what the Spurs FO decided was needed to resign him. The way I figure it is that, once they knew Tiago was coming, the Spurs FO decided that Bonner was a perfect complement. Mr. Inside/Mr. Outside! No Tiago, no Bonner.
Bonner does bring a unique skill for a big. Are there any other 6' 10" players who shoot 40% from the arc? Any? What about in NBA history? Chip in pundits.
Getting overpaid in the NBA is nothing new. Look at the ticket prices!

BadOne
07-12-2010, 10:54 AM
SPLITTER SPLITS THE STONE IN 2010-11!!!:lobt:

rvman21
07-12-2010, 11:05 AM
I agree, he is getting better, how many dunks did he have this year? Expect more next year

Dr. Gonzo
07-12-2010, 11:07 AM
But could you imagine Tiago and Ian in the front court together? It would be like Ralph Sampson and Hakeem all over again.

Stupid PopaZit

Chomag
07-12-2010, 11:13 AM
Bonner shoots 40% from the ark, wow thats awesome! Now how about you bring up his playoff numbers for us?

purist
07-12-2010, 11:15 AM
But could you imagine Tiago and Ian in the front court together? It would be like Ralph Sampson and Hakeem all over again.

Stupid PopaZit

Problem is Spurs FO did imagine just that and they saw what I saw.....Ian sucks.

Dr. Gonzo
07-12-2010, 11:19 AM
Ian does not suck. He alters shots and is tall.

Magdalena M
07-12-2010, 11:25 AM
Ok, I'll be the devil's advocate.... So, do you think Ian is more like Hakeem, or like Sampson?

Dr. Gonzo
07-12-2010, 11:25 AM
Ok, I'll be the devil's advocate.... So, do you think Ian is more like Hakeem, or like Sampson?

Combine them both and you have yourself Ian Mahinmi.

DawgMilkX
07-12-2010, 11:33 AM
i think i'd rather see Splitter with Blair to be honest

TimDunkem
07-12-2010, 11:35 AM
Yeah, I'd take Hakeem and Malone over Hakeem and Sampson too.

yipekaia
07-12-2010, 11:56 AM
what about tiago paired up with the new kid, Ryan Richards? I think Ian had unrealized potential. Nice athlete, but low basketball IQ. Hopefully we can develop the richards kid for the future. I like the Lomers kid too, but he might be just another plodding center, but you can't teach size.

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-12-2010, 12:22 PM
Fuck Vaughn! Get Lebron!

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-12-2010, 12:30 PM

The problem is we're going to end up with Duncan and Bonner together down the stretch at the 4/5. That or Jefferson at the 4. :lol

Duncan2177
07-12-2010, 12:33 PM
If the spurs want to beat the lakers they can't put Bonner on Gasol and Bynum they will eat him alive.

Texas_Ranger
07-12-2010, 12:39 PM
If I see Bonner starting this year I'm gonna fucking kill myself.

rayray2k8
07-12-2010, 12:44 PM
If I see Bonner starting this year I'm gonna fucking kill myself.

Expect your life to end at the start of the season then. :lol

I need 5
07-12-2010, 12:48 PM
On a day when Splitter may be signing up, ST is still focused on Bonner. Get over it! Bonner got what the Spurs FO decided was needed to resign him. The way I figure it is that, once they knew Tiago was coming, the Spurs FO decided that Bonner was a perfect complement. Mr. Inside/Mr. Outside! No Tiago, no Bonner.
Bonner does bring a unique skill for a big. Are there any other 6' 10" players who shoot 40% from the arc? Any? What about in NBA history? Chip in pundits.
Getting overpaid in the NBA is nothing new. Look at the ticket prices!

Al Harrington is Bonner's height and shoots the 3 pretty well. He is a much better player in every other aspect of basketball than Bonner is.

ElNono
07-12-2010, 12:50 PM
I doubt we're going to run Tiago into the ground, and the kid isn't used to 82 game seasons, and possibly even more games. So I expect him to come off the bench initially and his minutes to be somewhat monitored. Maybe start slow, and try to ramp up at the end of the season.

purist
07-12-2010, 12:56 PM
Combine them both and you have yourself Ian Mahinmi.

your serious?

Bruno
07-12-2010, 01:42 PM
While I don't like Bonner being back because he choked in the playoffs, I had to admit that he complements well Spurs bigmen rotation and that he isn't the worst player in the league (even during the playoffs). If you take away the financial side, Spurs have a good and very deep bigmen rotation with Duncan, Splitter, Dice, Blair and Bonner.

Now, you can't take away the financial side. Bonner being overpaid shouldn't hurt Spurs in 2010-2011 but it could hurt them later. I would hate that at a point of the next 4 years, Spurs don't sign a good player for financial reason while they have Bonner paid $3M/$4M on their roster. What sucks even more is that I think it will likely happens.

Chubby_Love
07-12-2010, 01:45 PM
I can't believe they're brining back Bonner! Might as well bring back Roger Mason while they're at it.

lefty
lol at "Bonner" and "choking" in the same sentence

It's not like he is a top 5 player in the rotation

ElNono
Now, you can't take away the financial side. Bonner being overpaid shouldn't hurt Spurs in 2010-2011 but it could hurt them later. I would hate that at a point of the next 4 years, Spurs don't sign a good player for financial reason while they have Bonner paid $3M/$4M on their roster. What sucks even more is that I think it will likely happens.

I just hope that two seasons down the road we don't need to dump Blair to get rid of Matt's contract...

Mark in Austin
07-12-2010, 01:51 PM
While I don't like Bonner being back because he choked in the playoffs, I had to admit that he complements well Spurs bigmen rotation and that he isn't the worst player in the league (even during the playoffs). If you take away the financial side, Spurs have a good and very deep bigmen rotation with Duncan, Splitter, Dice, Blair and Bonner.

I have to believe the last year or two of the deal are only partially guaranteed - similar to McDyess' deal. It still doesn't look good, but I'll withhold final judgement until we get some more details.

bigzak25
07-12-2010, 01:54 PM
At some point in the next 4 years TD will retire.

22 million off the books will free up the necessary space to sign whoever the Spurs are targeting at the time and Bonner's contract will also be very trade-able if or when the time comes.

He was a great signing and I'm glad Pop, RC, and the crew brought him back.

Everyone judges him as a 'Big'. I expect him to play a slightly different role this year and will only be 'stealing' minutes from TD hopefully, as we want 21 rested and ready come April.

Him, Anderson, Hill, and Manu are all we got at the 3 pt line...and Anderson is a rookie and we want to rest Manu as much as possible as well.

We all know that our Spurs low post game's effectiveness would be greatly diminished without some bombers out on the wings.

Bonner was the best 3pt shooter we had from last year, has the size to give rest to the other bigs, knows the system, is a team player, etc, etc. Good signing.

On top of all that, our Spurs work the cap like no other team. So why worry about that?

Borosai
07-12-2010, 01:58 PM
Time for a new Bonner sig.

Bruno
07-12-2010, 02:10 PM
I have to believe the last year or two of the deal are only partially guaranteed - similar to McDyess' deal. It still doesn't look good, but I'll withhold final judgement until we get some more details.

I'm also waiting on the financial details of the deal to see if this signing is horrible or just bad. :lol

jaffies
07-12-2010, 02:16 PM
Fuck Vaughn! Get Lebron!

:lmao:lmao:lmao

:toast