PDA

View Full Version : Spurs trying to get Raja Bell?

Pages : [1] 2

Spurs Brazil
07-12-2010, 06:16 PM
WojYahooNBA
Spurs are paying Tiago Splitter nearly $10 million over three years out of mid-level exception. Does that leave enough $ to lure Raja Bell?

spursfan1000
07-12-2010, 06:17 PM
Dosen't really mean they are trying to get him. It's just saying if thats enough to get Bell.

Big P
07-12-2010, 06:18 PM
Isn't he coming off a major injury? If so I'd pass & take a flyer on a young SF.

Hooks
07-12-2010, 06:18 PM
We have enough SG's, we need a SF

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2010, 06:19 PM
Hope so. Defense is clearly a concern for the Spurs if they are to have any hope at #5. They just added more size up front. Now they need to improve the perimeter defensively. Bell would be a step in the right direction.

Thomas82
Isn't he coming off a major injury? If so I'd pass & take a flyer on a young SF.

Me too, plus he'll be 34 years old when the season starts.

Leetonidas
Hope so. Defense is clearly a concern for the Spurs if they are to have any hope at #5. They just added more size up front. Now they need to improve the perimeter defensively. Bell would be a step in the right direction.

Uh...if they are going after Bell they might as well just resign The Centerpiece for the minimum.

spursfan1000
07-12-2010, 06:21 PM
Me too, plus he's 34 years old.

Dam I didnt know he is that old, PASS.

Ginobili2Duncan
07-12-2010, 06:21 PM
I think he is headed to South Beach.

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2010, 06:22 PM
Yeah, who needs old role players who know how to defend?

timvp
07-12-2010, 06:23 PM
I'd love Raja Bell for what is left of the MLE. He has slowed down and isn't an elite defender but he'd still be the best perimeter defender on the team. Even though he's only 6-foot-5, his toughness would allow him to play small forward in San Antonio's system. On offense, he's a very good three-point shooter.

He's the closest thing to a Bruce Bowen or Mario Elie that is still on the market. Add in the fact that he's not afraid to rough up Kobe and Bell is far and away the best the Spurs could get with their remaining cash.

ducks
07-12-2010, 06:24 PM
I would rather sign bruce

4>0rings
07-12-2010, 06:25 PM
I'd love Raja Bell for what is left of the MLE. He has slowed down and isn't an elite defender but he'd still be the best perimeter defender on the team. Even though he's only 6-foot-5, his toughness would allow him to play small forward in San Antonio's system. On offense, he's a very good three-point shooter.

Add in the fact that he's not afraid to rough up Kobe and Bell is far and away the best the Spurs could get with their remaining cash.Exactly, who the hell else are we going to get for that cash. Plus he brings that swager and wouldn't be afraid to drop an elbow shiver on someone when the time comes. I'd welcome Raja with open arms.

DesignatedT
07-12-2010, 06:26 PM
Rather have Barnes but Raja isn't that bad of an option.

Spurs Brazil
07-12-2010, 06:26 PM
No way the Spurs should offer more than the full LLE though. Who else will give him over 2 years 4 million?

Who would give Petro 3/10mi? There's a bunch of crazy GMs there

TimDunkem
07-12-2010, 06:27 PM
The Spurs would still be undersized on the perimeter...However, his 3-point shooting would be great for this team.

Bruno
07-12-2010, 06:27 PM
I like Bell but I rather see Spurs going after someone bigger.

timvp
07-12-2010, 06:28 PM
No way the Spurs should offer more than the full LLE though. Who else will give him over 2 years 4 million?

Freakin' Petro got $10 million. Bell getting $5-6 million would be a huge bargain in this market.

MaNu4Tres

He's the closest thing to a Bruce Bowen or Mario Elie that is still on the market. Add in the fact that he's not afraid to rough up Kobe and Bell is far and away the best the Spurs could get with their remaining cash.

This..

Howard and Butler are most likely out of the 2.7 a year range anyway.

Bell is a proven playoff warrior who has produced when it matters. I'd be glad to take him for the remaining of the MLE. He's the best the Spurs can really afford and he should be fresh going into next year.

Starters
Parker-Bell-Jefferson-Duncan-Splitter

Bench
Hill-Ginobili-Anderson( or Hairston)- Blair-McDyess

Bonner-Temple( or Hairston)

:tu

timvp
Who would give Petro 3/10mi?

:lol Beat me to it.

Blackjack
07-12-2010, 06:29 PM
3yrs/10M???

Is that right? Tiago's only getting the Scola deal?

timvp
07-12-2010, 06:30 PM
As far as fits, Bell >>>>>>>> RJ.

Regarding Bell's injury, it doesn't worry me. It was a wrist injury to his non-shooting hand. If anything, Bell's legs should be rested ... which should really help him as a defender.

If the options are Bell or players like James Jones or Rasual Butler, there's no question Bell is the best option.

baseline bum
07-12-2010, 06:31 PM
I'd take my chances on Bell. The Spurs desperately need someone who can stay in front of his man at the SG/SF position.

baseline bum
07-12-2010, 06:32 PM
If only we had Raja when he was young...

clubalien
07-12-2010, 06:33 PM
little know fact there used to be a bell that playyed for the spurs

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2010, 06:35 PM
Jefferson + Bell + Howard. Not sure if Howard's managed to thoroughly destroy his value in the league, but what better way to rehab himself than a stint in SA?

The Spurs would be hard pressed to find a better candidate for the starting 3 at this point than Jefferson. Unless someone who missed out on the summer of LeBron overpays, it makes a lot of sense for both parties to ink a new deal. That would leave a gamble on Howard for the LLE. Signing these 3 would give the Spurs scoring, defense, rebounding, and an edge on the wing.

MaNu4Tres
07-12-2010, 06:35 PM
If only we had Raja when he was young...

Derrick Dial> Raja Bell

MaNu4Tres
07-12-2010, 06:36 PM
Jefferson + Bell + Howard. Not sure if Howard's managed to thoroughly destroy his value in the league, but what better way to rehab himself than a stint in SA?

The Spurs would be hard pressed to find a better candidate for the starting 3 at this point than Jefferson. Unless someone who missed out on the summer of LeBron overpays, it makes a lot of sense for both parties to ink a new deal. That would leave a gamble on Howard for the LLE. Signing these 3 would give the Spurs scoring, defense, rebounding, and an edge on the wing.

No way Howard agrees to 2.7 million or under. I'll be shocked if he does.

TD 21
07-12-2010, 06:37 PM

This..

Howard and Butler are most likely out of the 2.7 a year range anyway.

Bell is a proven playoff warrior who has produced when it matters. I'd be glad to take him for the remaining of the MLE. He's the best the Spurs can really afford and he should be fresh going into next year.

Starters
Parker-Bell-Jefferson-Duncan-Splitter

Bench
Hill-Ginobili-Anderson( or Hairston)- Blair-McDyess

Bonner-Temple( or Hairston)

You guys nailed it.

I don't get the sense he really wants to come to the Spurs and would not be surprised if he signed for the minimum with the Heat, but on the heels of Splitter unexpectedly signing for well below the mid-level exception, the Spurs could offer Bell up to $2.5 million roughly, the potential to start and contend for a championship.

Speaking of Splitter's contract, it's obvious that the Spurs have their sights set on signing a veteran wing and we know they've been interested in Bell as recently as last season, so it makes sense that they'll pursue him to fill that spot.

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2010, 06:37 PM
No way Howard agrees to 2.7 million or under. I'll be shocked if he does.

He may have to.

mattyc
07-12-2010, 06:38 PM
I've always liked Bell. I think we could get 2 years of decent ball out of him, and he'd be a good guy to have around some of the younger players - Anderson, Hairston, Temple.

Plus, he seems to kill us whenever we play him, so it would be nice to have him on our side for once.

Mark in Austin
07-12-2010, 06:40 PM
Of what's left, I like Bell a lot. :tu

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2010, 06:45 PM
Starters
2 Ginobili
3 Jefferson

Bench
2 Bell
2/3 Anderson
3 Howard

timvp
07-12-2010, 06:48 PM
Howard is out until March, IIRC. If you sign him, it'd have to be a two-year deal with the aim of him being really ready for the 2011-12 season.

MaNu4Tres
07-12-2010, 06:50 PM
He's worth just as much as bell in my opinion. Maybe even less since he has the character issues and is coming off a couple of bad injury seasons.

Spurs obviously should make a phone call to Howard at least.

If he is willing to play for 2.7 million, he'd be my first option. I just don't see that scenario being realistic.

Boston is rumored to attain his services via sign and trade because his value is obviously above the LLE. That being said Howard is a long-shot at best.

Bruno
07-12-2010, 06:51 PM
Howard is out until March, IIRC. If you sign him, it'd have to be a two-year deal with the aim of him being really ready for the 2011-12 season.

Howard looking for new contract

Washington Wizards free-agent forward Josh Howard is optimistic his knee injury won’t keep him from landing a new contract soon.

Howard had surgery to repair a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee in March and was projected to be out six to eight months. He suffered the injury in just his fourth game with the Washington Wizards after being traded by the Dallas Mavericks.

“The doctors say I’m ahead of schedule in my fourth month of rehab,” Howard told Yahoo! Sports. “I’m optimistic I’ll be ready by the start of the regular-season.”

Howard averaged 12.7 points and 3.6 rebounds in 35 games for Washington and Dallas last season. While Washington was the first team to express interest after free agency began, Howard said Miami, New York, Sacramento, Boston and the Los Angeles Clippers have also been in contact with his agent.

Howard hopes to sign with someone within the next two weeks.

“I’m going to be open-minded,” Howard said. “But I have some loyalty to Washington for getting me out of my situation with Dallas. I have interest in them. But I have to keep my options open.”

– Marc J. Spears, 12:14 p.m. ET, July 8

timvp
07-12-2010, 06:53 PM
ACL usually takes a full year to recover and then another full year to get back to 90-100%. I'd be pretty damn surprised if Howard is ready to go by training camp ... especially since Howard has a bad rep for not staying in shape.

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2010, 06:55 PM
The problem is that McGrady needs touches to be productive. I think it would be harder for him to accept a role than it would be for a Howard.

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2010, 06:55 PM
Now, if the Spurs don't re-sign Jefferson, I could see going after McGrady.

MaNu4Tres
07-12-2010, 06:57 PM
Now, if the Spurs don't re-sign Jefferson, I could see going after McGrady.

:vomit:

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2010, 06:58 PM
Well, who else would be left?

MaNu4Tres
07-12-2010, 06:58 PM
If Spurs add another wing with the remainder of the MLE, I think that will be the off-season.

I don't see them adding more than one wing because of how high they are on Anderson and Hairston.

SenorSpur
07-12-2010, 06:59 PM
Rather have Barnes but Raja isn't that bad of an option.

I agree.

Sidestory on Barnes that I read this weekend. It seem that Orlando Magic GM, Otis Smith, when commenting on the status of resigning Barnes, claimed that "Matt knows where he stands with us. He would have already had a contract if he could stay off Twitter long enough." It seems that Barnes, like a lot of athletes, has a tendency to publish every bit of his free agent contact to his Twitter following. Apparently, Smith is not keen on having Orlando's FA business broadcast out to the Twitter community.

ducks
07-12-2010, 07:00 PM
ACL usually takes a full year to recover and then another full year to get back to 90-100%. I'd be pretty damn surprised if Howard is ready to go by training camp ... especially since Howard has a bad rep for not staying in shape.

HOWARD wants a new contract
I think he was in shape before surgery

DPG21920
07-12-2010, 07:01 PM
RJ on a LTD just makes no sense, especially if this is true imo.

Ginobili2Duncan
07-12-2010, 07:06 PM
I would love for the Spurs to sign Barnes, then re-sign RJ. That way you can start Ginobili at the 2 and Barnes at the 3 and bring RJ off the bench. Barnes will give the Spurs toughness and defense. He is also a terrific rebounder although he is a bit of a headcase. RJ can come in off the bench and focus on scoring.

MaNu4Tres
07-12-2010, 07:07 PM
Bell is also the most consistent and reliable 3 point shooter on the market.

Factor that attribute with his perimeter defense and Bell should be a no-brainer, especially if he's healthy and ready to contribute 18-24 minutes a night.

angelbelow
07-12-2010, 07:11 PM
Is bell still going to be effective on defense though?

MaNu4Tres
07-12-2010, 07:12 PM
Is bell still going to be effective on defense though?

More so than anyone else for 2.5 million.

ploto
07-12-2010, 07:13 PM
Will you love Bell now?

MaNu4Tres
07-12-2010, 07:13 PM
That's what I've been saying. Basketball is a tough sport to be out of for a whole year. Especially at the NBA level.

Spurs just need 20 minutes a night out of him.

That is more than plausible.

HarlemHeat37
07-12-2010, 07:19 PM
Bell is extremely overrated on SpursTalk, but he's better than nothing..he's just a slightly above average defender at this point, but he's a vocal leader and brings good intangibles to the team..he could be a good teacher for the young guys..

I wouldn't mind signing him if he isn't guaranteed a certain amount of minutes..if he gets outplayed by Anderson, Hairston and Temple in preseason, I would like to see a fair allocation of minutes, which is what scares me about signing an old man like Bell, like Bogans last year(I realize Bell is a lot better than Bogans)..

With that being said, he'll probably end up in Miami anyways..

TheSpursFNRule
07-12-2010, 07:31 PM
Wes Matthews?

Spurs Brazil
07-12-2010, 07:32 PM
RT @M_Monroe_in_SA: Spurs deal for Splitter starts at 3.4 mil, totals 11 mil over 3 years

ElNono
07-12-2010, 07:32 PM

Even washed up he's leaps and bounds better than the centerpiece

ChuckD
07-12-2010, 07:34 PM
We have enough SG's, we need a SF

We have George Hill, who splits time with Tony, and Manu Ginobili. That's it. Everyone else is a rook or a d-leaguer. You should probably get ready to accept that Pop is going to sign another vet SG, and Bell is about as good as we could get with the remainder of the MLE.

ChuckD
07-12-2010, 07:36 PM
Will you love Bell now?

I don't see that being a problem. I fucking hated Robert Horry, pre-Spurs years.

TheSpursFNRule
07-12-2010, 07:39 PM
Already signed to an offer sheet I believe. For more than what the Spurs have left as well if I am correct.

Ah ok. Thanks. Makes sense.

slick'81
07-12-2010, 07:40 PM
one things for sure that 2.5 will be offered up to someone

DesignatedT
07-12-2010, 07:40 PM
Fact is the Spurs need shooters. If they can find a Shooter who has greater size than that's great but options are very limited. Our best 3 pt shooter is Bonner who spurstalkers seem to never want to see the floor (understandably) and after that its manu and george who both shoot under 40%. Spurs have to sign a guy who can come in and shoot the 3 ball, it is a complete necessity for us. If Bell can provide that than I am fine with the signing. We have to get guys who can shoot.

ChuckD
07-12-2010, 07:42 PM
If Spurs add another wing with the remainder of the MLE, I think that will be the off-season.

I don't see them adding more than one wing because of how high they are on Anderson and Hairston.

Don't buy your Hairston jersey just yet. Having watched this front office in action for 20+ years, "We know what we have in Malik" isn't necessarily a positive statement.

siraulo23
07-12-2010, 07:42 PM
rasual butler, josh howard !!!

ChuckD
07-12-2010, 07:45 PM
Fact is the Spurs need shooters. If they can find a Shooter who has greater size than that's great but options are very limited. Our best 3 pt shooter is Bonner who spurstalkers seem to never want to see the floor (understandably) and after that its manu and george who both shoot under 40%. Spurs have to sign a guy who can come in and shoot the 3 ball, it is a complete necessity for us. If Bell can provide that than I am fine with the signing. We have to get guys who can shoot.

His career mark is 41%, and it's not on just a few attempts. He's a volume shooter from long. He has 6 seasons shooting > 40% from downtown.

lurker23
07-12-2010, 07:48 PM
DonHarris4WOAI

NBA Source: Splitter contract is for 10.9 million over 3 years. 3.4,3.6,3.9 million per. Great buy. Leaves Spurs room to pursue Raja Bell.

TD 21
07-12-2010, 07:50 PM
Hairston may not be on the team, but at this point I think it's safe to say he'd have to play himself off the team in training camp/preseason.

The fact that he's not in summer league is a clear indication that they view him as someone that they not only expect to make the team, but contend for rotation minutes.

If the Spurs can't sign Bell, then I'd imagine they'd turn their attention to Jones. Assuming either one were signed, Hairston/Gee would likely be competing for one spot in training camp/preseason. At this writing, I'd give Hairston the edge.

Obviously, this is getting well ahead of ourselves, but if I had to guess the playoff rotation (assuming Bell were signed), it would be...

Starters: PF- McDyess, SF- Jefferson, C- Duncan, SG- Bell, PG- Parker

Bench: SG- Ginobili, PG/SG- Hill, C/PF- Splitter, PF- Bonner

Regular season, I imagine Blair and Anderson will both play regularly.

Spurs Brazil
07-12-2010, 07:50 PM
DonHarris4WOAI

NBA Source: Splitter contract is for 10.9 million over 3 years. 3.4,3.6,3.9 million per. Great buy. Leaves Spurs room to pursue Raja Bell.

Do you think he really has a source or he read on Wojo twitter?

lurker23
07-12-2010, 07:53 PM
Do you think he really has a source or he read on Wojo twitter?

Couldn't tell you. For what it's worth, McDonald hasn't heard anything, though obviously the speculation about Bell is rampant.

----

JMcDonald_SAEN

My guess would be Raja. But just a guess. @Stang_08 JMcDonald_SAEN u think spurs can sign Matt Barnes with what's left?

DJB
07-12-2010, 07:59 PM
Uh...if they are going after Bell they might as well just resign The Centerpiece for the minimum.

Raja Bell > The Centerpiece x1000

HankChinaski
07-12-2010, 08:05 PM
I'm still liking Barnes over this guy. But I wouldn't mind seeing the man on the spurs team. In a spurs lineup (starting or secondary) Bell would fill a hole in several categories the spurs depth wasn't receiving from the previous season roster.

Barnes on the otherhand is just seems like that competitive defender that actually looks pissed when he gets scored on by elite players he guards who becomes more aggressive on the defensive end the longer he plays them. I would love that type of intensity from a player that could be on the spurs team.

Now what I've been reading here and other random places online is that Barnes alledgedly isn't getting heavy interest from Free Agency. Waiting out further could allow the spurs to get lucky and get him in on the cheap.

Now consider the chance of using the remainder of the MLE to get Bell plus pulling in Barnes with the majority of the LLE then using which ever exception has money left to sign Richards to his rooke scale contract and you have a amazing off season considering how much money has been flying around the league.

ElNono
07-12-2010, 08:08 PM
Now what I've been reading here and other random places online is that Barnes alledgedly isn't getting heavy interest from Free Agency.

You don't wonder why?

ChumpDumper
07-12-2010, 08:14 PM
Get someone taller.

Cane
07-12-2010, 08:15 PM
The real question is, if he's a Spurs will they ring a bell after every 3 point shot he makes?

HankChinaski
07-12-2010, 08:16 PM
You don't wonder why?

yeah I've read he burns bridges where ever he has gone with his respective teams. I don't see how waiting on him and the F.O. just went straight up with him with no bs about what they want and expect from him how if he signed then he wouldn't be someone you could reel in.

ElNono
07-12-2010, 08:17 PM
The real question is, if he's a Spurs will they ring a bell after every 3 point shot he makes?

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/askville/137733_12008891_mywrite/bell.jpg

HankChinaski
Get someone taller.

Yeah, I agree with you there. But considering the options left out in Free Agency. Who do you feel confident about bringing in that has the potential of this guy?

DPG21920
The more I think about this, the more I don't like it. The Spurs are in a damn tough spot with regards to a SF.

Spursmania
07-12-2010, 08:18 PM
http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/askville/137733_12008891_mywrite/bell.jpg

I'd be the ringing that bell for Raja.:p:

ChumpDumper
07-12-2010, 08:22 PM
Yeah, I agree with you there. But considering the options left out in Free Agency. Who do you feel confident about bringing in that has the potential of this guy?I kind of think that Hairston might be able to bring just what Bell does given that chance. Duplication of that would be fine, but having someone taller would be better.

I don't actually have much confidence in most of the available players. There is a gamble factor in almost every choice.

Bruno
07-12-2010, 08:22 PM
After looking more closely at who is available, Bell would be quite high on my wish list. There isn't a lot of quality true SF available.

Josh Howard would be my first choice but it's far from sure he woudl accept a starting salary of $2.4M.

After Howard, I would go with Rasual Butler. Bell would be just after Butler.

ChumpDumper
07-12-2010, 08:24 PM
Mason S&T for Howard.

You have my blessing.

kbrury
07-12-2010, 08:28 PM
After looking more closely at who is available, Bell would be quite high on my wish list. There isn't a lot of quality true SF available.

Josh Howard would be my first choice but it's far from sure he woudl accept a starting salary of $2.4M.

After Howard, I would go with Rasual Butler. Bell would be just after Butler.

I like Butler a lot and I would take him over Bell as well. Kinda quiet when it comes to Butler though I thought a lot of teams would express interest.

HankChinaski
07-12-2010, 08:31 PM
I kind of think that Hairston might be able to bring just what Bell does given that chance. Duplication of that would be fine, but having someone taller would be better.

I don't actually have much confidence in most of the available players. There is a gamble factor in almost every choice.

I like Hairston. I can see where you're going with him in regards to defensive potential. He does have to ability to hit open jumpers, just needs to show us in nba games.

But my overall thought is depth at SF. With Hairston in there at SF you are still fairly thin at the 3. Barring injuries it wouldn't hurt to have some quality with the MLE brought in for insurance.

I don't want to see the spurs with a vet min contract player like Bogans to have to play heavy minutes due to a lack of CONSISTENT depth at the wing.

Hairston was good playing defense with the team last year, but he was just a void on offense in regards to passing up jump shots/clanking them. He shined at moments on the offense end reading the defense and sliding in for easy buckets. I like to see him improve that jumper IN GAME and that will certainly offer him lots of minutes in the rotation.

HankChinaski
07-12-2010, 08:34 PM
I forgot about Rasual Butler. He would be another solid consideration of the MLE.

mingus
07-12-2010, 08:35 PM
i hope it's not Matt Barnes. bad, bad 3-point shooter, he just shot a lot list year. James Jones and Bell would be first on my last.

HarlemHeat37
07-12-2010, 08:37 PM
Rasual Butler is probably the best available option for the Spurs, if I had to pick from the list..

Above average defender due to his length and balance, pretty good overall team defender..he's a good shooter, but inconsistent and has questionable shot selection..overall, he's the best option from those available IMO..he's not that good, but not a great list to pick from..

silverblk mystix
07-12-2010, 08:50 PM
isn't raja bell from the same place as TD?

Maybe Timmy can close the deal...

Danny.Zhu
07-12-2010, 09:01 PM
I like Bell, except his punch on Kobe's throat. (Altough I don't like Kobe.)

SenorSpur
07-12-2010, 09:25 PM
i hope it's not Matt Barnes. bad, bad 3-point shooter, he just shot a lot list year. James Jones and Bell would be first on my last.

Barnes could arguably the best defender left of the bunch. He's got a nasty streak that makes him a fierce competitor on both ends of the floor. Remember he can and has defended Dirk, straight up, on his own - with success.

xtremesteven33
07-12-2010, 09:27 PM
Raja Bell is tough as hell and is a team player. He plays to win and isnt afraid to get down and dirty....we need some of that...

dbestpro
07-12-2010, 09:30 PM
Orlando signed Richardson so Barnes is even more available than before.

xtremesteven33
07-12-2010, 09:32 PM
Matt Barnes....eh.....

Mel_13
07-12-2010, 09:32 PM
Three straight summers that Barnes' team did not want him back.

Mugen
07-12-2010, 09:33 PM
1. Bell
2. Barnes
3. Butler

In that order. Bell gets the nod over barnes bc of his 3pt shooting but id be happy with either one.

Ill take butler as a consolation prize but the spurs need somebody thats a little on edge.

HarlemHeat37
07-12-2010, 09:47 PM
As somebody that watched almost every Magic game this season..

-He's an above average individual defender, mostly due to his length, but he definitely isn't as good as some people here make him out to be..
-He's tough, extremely intense and works very hard..
-He's pretty much guaranteed to outproduce his contract, since he's always underpaid..
-He's extremely inconsistent at shooting the ball from anywhere on the floor..
-He complained about minutes in the playoffs..
-He talks a lot and has reportedly gotten into rifts with teammates/management..

It could really go either way..I don't think the Spurs would go after a guy like him though..

doobs
07-12-2010, 09:52 PM
It would be pretty sweet if the Spurs got Bell and Barnes/Butler. Those guys could start alongside Parker, Duncan, and Splitter, which would allow Manu, RJ, and McDyess to come off the bench. Manu and McDyess seem to prefer that kind of role and RJ seems to play MUCH better when he's on the court at the same time as Manu. (And don't forget how well Blair plays with Manu.) Solid 2nd unit, IMO.

SenorSpur
07-12-2010, 09:52 PM
As somebody that watched almost every Magic game this season..

-He's an above average individual defender, mostly due to his length, but he definitely isn't as good as some people here make him out to be..
-He's tough, extremely intense and works very hard..
-He's pretty much guaranteed to outproduce his contract, since he's always underpaid..
-He's extremely inconsistent at shooting the ball from anywhere on the floor..
-He complained about minutes in the playoffs..
-He talks a lot and has reportedly gotten into rifts with teammates/management..

It could really go either way..I don't think the Spurs would go after a guy like him though..

I respect your take on him. Perhaps that would explain why the Spurs have passed over him before. That said, perhaps Bell or Butler would be better fits.

buttsR4rebounding
07-12-2010, 10:12 PM
He's worth just as much as bell in my opinion. Maybe even less since he has the character issues and is coming off a couple of bad injury seasons.

:lmao Thanks, Yogi...

MmP
07-12-2010, 10:14 PM
I'd sooo love to have Bell here. The work he did in 07 against us and Manu was fantastic, I really envy it.

Lebowski Brickowski
07-12-2010, 10:53 PM
wtf? Bell is a guard, no? 6'5''? 33 years old?

Can we get a SF, please, or is RJ going to regain his lateral speed and defensive IQ now that "Pop has been working him out"?

Barnes is 6'6'' or 6'7'', quick, fast, and tough, with crazy long arms and can hound much taller and shorter players. Is younger than Bell and less injured.

And, for all I care, can STFU on the Spurs and not be a bad citizen.

SenorSpur
07-12-2010, 11:00 PM
It appears that Barnes will be available after all:

According to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports, Quentin Richardson has agreed to a multi-year deal with the Magic.

If that's the case, it could mean that Matt Barnes, a free agent this summer, will not return to the team.

The same could be said for J.J. Redick, who currently has signed an offer sheet to play for the Bulls next season. The Magic are currently deciding whether to match the offer on the restricted free agent or not.

Richardson was also a member of the Heat last season, so that's one less guy the team could have tried to bring back on the cheap.

Solid D
07-12-2010, 11:05 PM
For what it's worth, there are two players that have done an excellent job defending Dirk Nowitzki in the playoffs over the past few seasons. Matt Barnes and Udonis Haslem.

Manu-of-steel
07-12-2010, 11:12 PM
isn't raja bell from the same place as TD?

Maybe Timmy can close the deal...

They are both from the Virgin islands.

Manu-of-steel
07-12-2010, 11:20 PM
I'd love Bell in a spurs uniform. A no-nonsense defender and also a shooter who can provide space for TD and Blair to operate inside. The addition of three point shooters in our team would give our low post players more room to operate.

ChuckD
07-13-2010, 12:20 AM
wtf? Bell is a guard, no? 6'5''? 33 years old?

Can we get a SF, please, or is RJ going to regain his lateral speed and defensive IQ now that "Pop has been working him out"?

Barnes is 6'6'' or 6'7'', quick, fast, and tough, with crazy long arms and can hound much taller and shorter players. Is younger than Bell and less injured.

And, for all I care, can STFU on the Spurs and not be a bad citizen.

Bell's been injured one time: last year. Barnes D is over rated. He can be overpowered by the same types that take our guards into the paint and punish them, and his 3 point shooting is WORSE than Jefferson's. He's also a fucking headcase who barks at his coaches for taking him out of the game, and his playoff performance was reminiscent of Matt Bonner, a total disappearing act. Stop imagining him to be what he isn't.

Stop obsessing about size. Bell is the best wing available on the market for fractional MLE from a shooting and defense standpoint.

edit: Oh, Jesus fuck yeah, Let's bring in the 33% career 3G% Barnes and kick the 41% career 3G% Bell to the curb. That would make a lot of sense.

SenorSpur
07-13-2010, 12:27 AM
The Spurs need a SF - not a SG.

Bell STILL is a very good player, but not the defensive demon he once was. Plus, he's older and has been injured throughout most of last year. I'd be ok with the Bell signing, but I'd rather the Spurs go after a longer player like Barnes or Chandler.

Sisk
07-13-2010, 12:29 AM

I think people are overlooking how much of a thug Barnes is.

TJastal
07-13-2010, 12:31 AM
I'd take Matt Barnes in a heartbeat. Plug him in as the starting 3 he'd be perfect.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-13-2010, 12:36 AM

Yep, not like they never had a guy like Stephen Jackson before...

ChuckD
07-13-2010, 12:38 AM
I'd take Matt Barnes in a heartbeat. Plug him in as the starting 3 he'd be perfect.

Yeah, like he was for Orlando last year. They were so happy with his Bonner-esque playoff disappearing act they went and signed QRich. :lol

Mugen
07-13-2010, 12:38 AM

Ron Artest is crazy as a mofo and he just won a title.

bruce bowen was pretty thuggish on the court.

its exactly what this team has been missing since bruce left.

TJastal
07-13-2010, 12:40 AM
ron artest is crazy as a mofo and he just won a title.

Bruce bowen was pretty thuggish on the court.

Its exactly what this team has been missing since bruce left.

ex-fucking-actly

TD 21
07-13-2010, 12:42 AM
I don't get the Butler obsession on this board. He's not nearly as good a three point shooter as he's made out to be (career 36.3% shooter) and he's never been a noted defender. Sure, he's long, but he's not all that athletic. I'd say there's a good chance that Anderson is at least comparable to, if not better than Butler immediately.

Butler has become overrated in the past two seasons because he played for teams with awful wings, so that meant he primarily started and played more minutes than a player of his caliber ideally should, therefore leading to his numbers being inflated.

I get the argument for Bell, Jones and to an extent even Barnes, but not Butler. Nothing against him, he just makes no sense for this team with Anderson in the fold.

ChuckD
07-13-2010, 12:44 AM
Yep, not like they never had a guy like Stephen Jackson before...

Steven Jackson could shoot in the clutch. All Barnes can do is Houdini his way out of the playoffs. :lol

Ginobili2Duncan
07-13-2010, 12:45 AM

I don't think he is a thug, but he is definitely a headcase. For the money that the Spurs have left he is the Spurs best option at SF.

TJastal
07-13-2010, 12:49 AM
Yeah, like he was for Orlando last year. They were so happy with his Bonner-esque playoff disappearing act they went and signed QRich. :lol

Hmm.. Barnes' playoff averages exceeded his regular season's from a quick glance at the numbers. Anyway, QRich isn't replacing Barnes, he's taking JJ Redick's spot (who's heading to CHI)

Magic will get to resigning Barnes soon, which is why I think the spurs should jump at the chance now.

TJastal
07-13-2010, 12:50 AM
Steven Jackson could shoot in the clutch. All Barnes can do is Houdini his way out of the playoffs. :lol

Did Barnes rape your sister or something?

G-Dawgg
07-13-2010, 12:54 AM

Bell STILL is a very good player, but not the defensive demon he once was. Plus, he's older and has been injured throughout most of last year. I'd be ok with the Bell signing, but I'd rather the Spurs go after a longer player like Barnes or Chandler.

Exactly.

TJastal
07-13-2010, 12:58 AM
Yep the spurs need someone at least 6'7" with good size. Raja Bell is a Bogans' size or smaller.

Josh Howard, Wilson Chandler, Matt Barnes, McGrady (risky, but if can't find anything else..)

All would fit the bill of being 6'7" or bigger (Barnes is 6'9" and would be the best choice IMO.)

siraulo23
07-13-2010, 01:01 AM
Barnes is inconsistent in shooting the 3, he shouldn't be the spurs FO's first option

as for bell,noo, we need a SF

TD 21
07-13-2010, 01:08 AM
I've been saying the Spurs need more size long before it was popular opinion and they're still not overly big, but with Splitter signed and once Jefferson is officially signed, they'll be big enough. They still don't have a 3/4 tweener, but this notion that they need a 6-7 SF to compete for a championship is a myth.

The Celtics played 6-4 T. Allen as their backup SF (and SG), the Lakers frequently played 6-6 Bryant as their backup SF, the Magic played 6-6 Pietrus as their backup SF, the Nuggets primarily played 6-5 Afflalo or 6-6 Smith as their backup SF, etc. All of these players are natural SG's. Not one is the size of a true SF, yet they were all successful teams to varying degrees and the size or lack thereof of their backup SF was not an impediment.

Basically, you need one legit sized SF (Jefferson fits the bill), but you can get away with Bell or even Hairston (size-wise) playing backup SF. The big thing is, can whoever it is filling this role play above average individual defense and shoot the three at a high percentage, not whether the guy is 6-7 225 or 6-5 220.

mingus
07-13-2010, 01:11 AM

yeah, it's def. not an easy choice. but i like Bell.

Bell +
-good perimiter defender.
-can hit the three consistently.
-leadership. i remember him being, along with Nash, a vocal leader in the huddles. i thought this was missing last year with Bowen not on the floor.

the three ball is really important. so is perimiter defense but i'm not sure the seperation b/w Barnes and Bell in that respect is big enough to pass over Bell and the other things he brings.

DesignatedT
07-13-2010, 01:11 AM
I've been saying the Spurs need more size long before it was popular opinion and they're still not overly big, but with Splitter signed and once Jefferson is officially signed, they'll be big enough. They still don't have a 3/4 tweener, but this notion that they need a 6-7 SF to compete for a championship is a myth.

The Celtics just played 6-4 T. Allen as their backup SF (and SG), the Lakers frequently played 6-6 Bryant as their backup SF, the Magic played 6-6 Pietrus as their backup SF, the Nuggets primarily played 6-5 Afflalo or 6-6 Smith as their backup SF, etc. All of these players are natural SG's. Not one is the size of a true SF, yet they were all successful team to varying degrees.

Basically, you need one legit sized SF (Jefferson fits the bill), but you can get away with Bell or even Hairston (size-wise) playing backup SF. The big thing is, can whoever it is filling this role play above average individual defense and shoot the three at a high percentage, not whether the guy is 6-7 225 or 6-5 220.

Agreed. I think shooting should be the main priority for the next signing. a 6'7 or 6'8 wing player who shoots 25% from 3 pt land is going to be no help here. We have to find guys who can shoot the 3 ball. It killed us this year and it will next year unless we can find some guys who can shoot the ball. If Raja can provide that, than I am all for bringing him in.

DesignatedT
07-13-2010, 01:13 AM
Butler and Barnes both shoot around 32% from 3 point land. That is a big problem for us. James Jones could easily be the best fit IMO, but his defense lacks compared to both bell and barnes.

crc21209
07-13-2010, 01:15 AM
If I had it my way it would go like this:

1. Bell/Barnes (hard to pick between the two, especially since we dont know exactly what Raja could bring to the table now..)

2. Rasual Butler

3. James Jones

rmt
07-13-2010, 01:19 AM
Does anyone think that Bell might not want to come to the Spurs given their history with the Suns? It must be hard to go play with players who were once your mortal enemies.

I agree that he'd be the best option because of his 3pt%.

DesignatedT
07-13-2010, 01:22 AM
Does anyone think that Bell might not want to come to the Spurs given their history with the Suns? It must be hard to go play with players who were once your mortal enemies.

Bell spent some time here back in like 2000 when he first got out of college. I think he has a pretty good relationship with coach pop.

Mugen
07-13-2010, 01:22 AM
in terms of team needs....

Defense > 3 point shooting.

we have guys that can get hot from outside(manu, hill, hopefully Anderson, and even bonner)

But we don't have a legit perimeter defender worth shit right now. i

i dont really think Butler helps us that much in that regard.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-13-2010, 01:24 AM

The Celtics played 6-4 T. Allen as their backup SF (and SG), the Lakers frequently played 6-6 Bryant as their backup SF, the Magic played 6-6 Pietrus as their backup SF, the Nuggets primarily played 6-5 Afflalo or 6-6 Smith as their backup SF, etc. All of these players are natural SG's. Not one is the size of a true SF, yet they were all successful teams to varying degrees and the size or lack thereof of their backup SF was not an impediment.

The big thing is they all had big men who could block shots watching their back.

That will work as long as the front office is committed to Tim and Tiago in crunch time.

If we're going to have candy ass Matt Bonner out there, your plan doesn't work.

TD 21
07-13-2010, 01:27 AM

Yeah, that's crossed my mind.

As I said earlier, I don't get the sense that he wants to come to the Spurs, which means they'll probably have to sell him on it. But he seems like an intelligent guy and it appears he doesn't hold grudges (apparently Bryant has text him a bunch of times to join the Lakers), so I don't think he'll automatically dismiss the Spurs.

The Spurs can not only easily offer more money than the Lakers or Heat, but they can offer the possibility of starting and (unlikely as it may seem) maybe even finishing some games, in addition to contending for a championship.

siraulo23
07-13-2010, 01:27 AM
Butler and Barnes both shoot around 32% from 3 point land. That is a big problem for us. James Jones could easily be the best fit IMO, but his defense lacks compared to both bell and barnes.

butler shot 39% in new orleans the year before, he would get more open looks with the spurs than with the clippers

DesignatedT
07-13-2010, 01:29 AM
in terms of team needs....

Defense > 3 point shooting.

we have guys that can get hot from outside(manu, hill, hopefully Anderson, and even bonner)

But we don't have a legit perimeter defender worth shit right now. i

i dont really think Butler helps us that much in that regard.

Defense and 3 pt shooting are both a huge necessity. Bell brings both defensive intensity and a consistent 3 ball, shooting a 40% clip for his career. He may be a bit undersized for the 3 but could still be the best option.

Barnes is definitely more of a SF with his size and also plays good defense. His shooting won't help though.

Butler sucks.

Obstructed_View
07-13-2010, 01:31 AM

The Spurs needed that in the past because they rarely had a genuine 4 or 5 on the floor aside from Duncan. Bowen covered for a multitude of sins, all of which were exposed when he was on the floor and compounded when he retired.

Obstructed_View
07-13-2010, 01:33 AM
Yeah, that's crossed my mind.

As I said earlier, I don't get the sense that he wants to come to the Spurs, which means they'll probably have to sell him on it. But he seems like an intelligent guy and it appears he doesn't hold grudges (apparently Bryant has text him a bunch of times to join the Lakers), so I don't think he'll automatically dismiss the Spurs.

The Spurs can not only easily offer more money than the Lakers or Heat, but they can offer the possibility of starting and (unlikely as it may seem) maybe even finishing some games, in addition to contending for a championship.

Didn't Raja get his start with the Spurs? I have a feeling that still means something. I'd imagine the only reason the Spurs would be down on his list is because there are other contenders inquiring about him.

EricB
07-13-2010, 01:37 AM
Roster spot between Bell and Dial.

Dial won out on RC's recommendation.

Pop wanted Bell.

angelbelow
07-13-2010, 01:38 AM
Looking at the FA left.. Bell probably is the best choice.. Although Im not convinced he can still be effective on defensive. He should still be a good shooter though.. but all in all, hes probably one of the better options.

Obstructed_View
07-13-2010, 01:41 AM

Pop wanted Bell.

Yeah I only remembered that Pop did him a solid by inviting him to camp just so he could showcase for other teams. Maybe I'm not remembering it right.

tuncaboylu
07-13-2010, 01:41 AM
Everyone is talking about Barnes, but that guy is very bad behind the arc. We need a sharpshooter, maybe James Jones is a better fit.

angelbelow
07-13-2010, 01:45 AM
Aren't Bell and Nash best buds? I say if all things are equal, he would probably return to Phx.

Btw is there any news on who Bell is interested in?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-13-2010, 01:49 AM

Finally, someone has made this point well! Well done, sir! I totally agree. :toast

I would add that Manu helps things out because he's a very good rebounder for his size - he rebounds like a SF. And having great rebounding bigs like Tim and Grizzly around means that we don't need our SF to be a rebounding beast, we just need him to do an average job. Hell, Bruce wasn't a good rebounder, and he was our SF for most of this decade! :lol

Blackjack
07-13-2010, 01:52 AM
Yeah I only remembered that Pop did him a solid by inviting him to camp just so he could showcase for other teams. Maybe I'm not remembering it right.

Pop actually got the ear of Larry Brown and helped Raja to land in Philly to get his start, IIRC. He just felt Raja got caught in a numbers game and he would've loved to have been able to keep him.

Pop and the Spurs really have been pretty good about sending out the good Karma when it comes to players and coaches -- whether it's just being honest with someone or giving a down-on-their-luck coach an opportunity to work or feel a part of something. Maybe help with getting their foot in the door.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
The biq question here is has age and injury caused Bell to lose a step? If not, and he can still be an elite perimeter defender, sign him up! If he has lost a step, pass. It's a roll of the dice. I'd give it a whirl on the basis that I think Bell's the kinda guy who would retire if he couldn't bring an NBA-level game to the court.

EricB

I think Pop recommended him to Mr Larry Brown with the Sixers in 2001, Bell catches on does great in the playoffs, then becomes a commodity

Dro210
07-13-2010, 01:54 AM

Pop wanted Bell.

but Dial could dunk! :lol

interesting story tho, didn't know that one.

Obstructed_View
07-13-2010, 02:00 AM
Do the Spurs really need a vet at that position? I'd almost like to see Pop forced to develop the kids on the roster without a Finley/Bogans style safety net.

Blackjack
07-13-2010, 02:10 AM
I'm thinking the same way. I, for whatever reason, started thinking it was a good idea to go after T-Mac with whatever the Spurs had the other day. But the more I think about it, the more I feel the Spurs just need to go with the youth and upside. They need that hunger and youthful exuberance surrounding their vets. They just need a new energy in the locker room and on the court.

You don't really get that with the tried and true. Give me the young fella's for now. If they need to make a trade close to the deadline or at some point, fine. Go target someone and get what you want/need. I wouldn't hate Howard, Bell, Butler or someone of that ilk, but I'm just becoming more and more receptive to living with Malik, Temple and maybe Gee -- I just don't see anything out there that's appreciably better or going to make the Spurs appreciably better, sans a trade.

kaji157
07-13-2010, 02:13 AM
I really like Bell. Yes, he can be a bust and we could end up fucking around while Pop plays him even when he is sucking and he doesn´t play Hairston enough.
But i think that off all the players available, he is the one that fits what the usual SF has always been for the Spurs, defense first able to knock down the jumper kind of player.
And i am quite sure he will outplay the centerpiece on the first week of the regular season.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-13-2010, 02:14 AM
Do the Spurs really need a vet at that position? I'd almost like to see Pop forced to develop the kids on the roster without a Finley/Bogans style safety net.

That is an intriguing prospect, but I think we need one more vet.

TP/Hill/Temple
Manu/Anderson/Hill
Bell/Hairston/Gee

would be about the right mix I think.

Everyone is assuming we will re-sign RJ, but unless they know something more than I do I doubt we will. All of my posts have been under the assumption that RJ is gone. If RJ is re-signed, I'm with you, we don't need another vet. Are you assuming RJ will come back?

murpjf88
07-13-2010, 02:15 AM
Can you believe the miami heat are looking into RJ.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-13-2010, 02:17 AM

Let them take him! He wouldn't help that team at all. They need shooters.

rmt
07-13-2010, 02:19 AM
Pop actually got the ear of Larry Brown and helped Raja to land in Philly to get his start, IIRC. He just felt Raja got caught in a numbers game and he would've loved to have been able to keep him.

Pop and the Spurs really have been pretty good about sending out the good Karma when it comes to players and coaches -- whether it's just being honest with someone or giving a down-on-their-luck coach an opportunity to work or feel a part of something. Maybe help with getting their foot in the door.

Well, I don't feel as if Larry Brown has returned the favor (to Pop) with regards to recommending Jackie Butler (who the Spurs got rid of by dangling Scola as bait). Larry Brown also made a lot of use out of Ratliff after getting him from the Spurs for nothing.

murpjf88
07-13-2010, 02:20 AM
Let them take him! He wouldn't help that team at all. They need shooters.

Here's the link. Its from July 7th. He's not taking a minimum contract to play with the Heat.

http://www.projectspurs.com/2010-articles/july/free-agency-rumor-roundup.html

Blackjack
07-13-2010, 02:22 AM
Well, I don't feel as if Larry Brown has returned the favor (to Pop) with regards to recommending Jackie Butler (who the Spurs got rid of by dangling Scola as bait). Larry Brown also made a lot of use out of Ratliff after getting him from the Spurs for nothing.

I said they've been good about sending it out, not that they always receive it; but they've received their fair share and have 4 titles to show for it.

TDMVPDPOY
07-13-2010, 02:24 AM
if larry brown is serious about returning a favor

trade us either wallace or jax
for rj, bonner, centerpiece....

MaNu4Tres
07-13-2010, 02:30 AM
Are you assuming RJ will come back?

Jefferson will most likely resign within the next couple of days.

rmt
07-13-2010, 02:34 AM
So Bell thinks of himself as a SG if he wants to go to DAL (already has Marion & Butler), Heat (Lebron) or ORL (VC) not as a SF as Spurs fan would. He's not coming to SA then.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-13-2010, 02:34 AM
Jefferson will most likely resign within the next couple of days.

Where is that information coming from? Not doubting you, just wondering.

I had sorta hoped we'd move in a different direction. RJ was not a good fit last year, and I don't think it was because he didn't know the system.

MaNu4Tres
07-13-2010, 02:41 AM
Where is that information coming from? Not doubting you, just wondering.

From the same source who said Splitter will be signing early this week.

Ticket760

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-13-2010, 02:51 AM
From the same source who said Splitter will be signing early this week.

Ticket760

Bugger.

In that case, I don't think we need another player, although Pop will probably sign another vet for insurance. Bell, Butler, whoever will do. I just hope at least one of Hairston and Gee gets some significant time. I'm pretty sure Temple will get some burn at backup PG.

rmt
07-13-2010, 02:55 AM
Regarding sticking with the young guys instead of getting vets, does anyone think that Popovich would/should play the young 'uns in the playoffs? What seemed like such a great bench in the RS didn't pan out in the playoffs. Pop rode the vets and didn't even play Blair much (and Blair did get substantial time in the RS). Just remembering how Boston looked in the playoffs compared to how they played in the RS.

EricB
07-13-2010, 02:57 AM

Neither one anticipated Jackie Butler completely giving up and stoping caring for basketball.

Jackie Butler was very very talented and very good. he just stopped caring.

bigdog
07-13-2010, 03:10 AM
I'd rather have Matt Barnes.

Bruno
07-13-2010, 04:11 AM
Bell isn't a sexy pick but he will be very solid.

We all want size, youth and athleticism. Bell is old, small and unathletic.

Saying that, a role player in Spurs system needs to do two things: hitting open 3's and playing good defense. Bell is one of the best shooter in the league and even if he is old and small to defend SFs, he should still be decent on the defensive end.

The problem with Bell is that he seems not really interested in playing for Spurs. I can see him going to Miami to get a ring. A 2 years min contract is $2.75M for him. It isn't that low.

MaNu4Tres
07-13-2010, 04:23 AM
For what it's worth, there are two players that have done an excellent job defending Dirk Nowitzki in the playoffs over the past few seasons. Matt Barnes and Udonis Haslem.

Antonio McDyess?

buttsR4rebounding
07-13-2010, 06:06 AM

Unless they put LeBoozer at point he would be a very expensive back up 3.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-13-2010, 06:14 AM
Antonio McDyess?

Spot on. He was superb on Dirk in the first round.

We need a lockdown perimeter defender in the Bowen mould (as has been said repeatedly above), not a Dirk-stopper.

TJastal
07-13-2010, 06:38 AM
I'd much prefer Hairston to Bell. He's younger, 500X more athletic, plays much bigger than Bell and I think Malik has the tools to be a great defensive player and he showed in last year's summer league he can hit a 3 ball. I don't know why dumbass Popovich brought in the "centerpiece" last year which denied this kid his opportunity to shine. Bringing in Raja Bell would be essentially the same as bringing in Keith Bogans last year and would net similar results.

ChuckD
07-13-2010, 07:20 AM
I'd much prefer Hairston to Bell. He's younger, 500X more athletic, plays much bigger than Bell and I think Malik has the tools to be a great defensive player and he showed in last year's summer league he can hit a 3 ball. I don't know why dumbass Popovich brought in the "centerpiece" last year which denied this kid his opportunity to shine. Bringing in Raja Bell would be essentially the same as bringing in Keith Bogans last year and would net similar results.

If Hairston could shoot the NBA 3 ball, we wouldn't even be having this discussion. The fact is, in an offense that presents opportunities every time down the floor for spaced shooters, in 62 games he's 2-12 from beyoind the arc. He's both not taking and not hitting the shot. RJ showed us what other teams will do to that kind of a player in a playoff series: they isolate him and force him to be the shooter. Not a pretty sight.

Muser
07-13-2010, 07:26 AM
Erm no, Bell is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Bogans. Bell would be perfect as our perimeter defender, and he would provide good 3 point shooting which everbody was complaining about last year.

ChuckD
07-13-2010, 07:29 AM
Did Barnes rape your sister or something?

No, he's just not that fucking good.

TJastal
07-13-2010, 07:54 AM
If Hairston could shoot the NBA 3 ball, we wouldn't even be having this discussion. The fact is, in an offense that presents opportunities every time down the floor for spaced shooters, in 62 games he's 2-12 from beyoind the arc. He's both not taking and not hitting the shot. RJ showed us what other teams will do to that kind of a player in a playoff series: they isolate him and force him to be the shooter. Not a pretty sight.

His summer league 3pt% was much higher IIRC he was at least 35% if not close to 40%. His offensive numbers proved he can become a decent scorer if given the opportunity.

I'm not saying I know for sure he can precisely translate these numbers to the nba, but I know 12 shot attempts in 60+ games of mostly garbage time isn't a reliable indicator of anything.

TJastal
07-13-2010, 08:05 AM
http://network.yardbarker.com/nba/article_external/Raja_Bell_Dallas_Have_Mutual_Interest/2852554

Sorry but the spurs aren't even in Raja Bell's top 3 of choices. This is stupid to even discuss.

Be glad.

Obstructed_View
07-13-2010, 08:28 AM
That is an intriguing prospect, but I think we need one more vet.

TP/Hill/Temple
Manu/Anderson/Hill
Bell/Hairston/Gee

would be about the right mix I think.

Everyone is assuming we will re-sign RJ, but unless they know something more than I do I doubt we will. All of my posts have been under the assumption that RJ is gone. If RJ is re-signed, I'm with you, we don't need another vet. Are you assuming RJ will come back?

Yes, I'm assuming RJ will be here. If not, then of course the veteran 3 becomes more of a priority. What I'm not excited about is RJ and Bogans redux sucking up all the minutes.

ohmwrecker
07-13-2010, 08:54 AM
Pass on Bell.

Kindergarten Cop
07-13-2010, 08:56 AM
http://network.yardbarker.com/nba/article_external/Raja_Bell_Dallas_Have_Mutual_Interest/2852554

Sorry but the spurs aren't even in Raja Bell's top 3 of choices. This is stupid to even discuss.

Be glad.

FTR, that statement was made when everyone assumed that the Spurs would only have the LLE/minimum contracts to offer. Perhaps things have changed now that the Spurs can offer more and now that Orlando has signed Richardson.

jiggy_55
07-13-2010, 08:59 AM
STEIN_LINE_HQ

Sources: Kobe and Raja Bell will meet face-to-face this week in LA as Kobe continues to recruit his old nemesis in free agency. Link soon

http://twitter.com/STEIN_LINE_HQ/status/18438672458

jiggy_55
07-13-2010, 09:00 AM
I don't think were going for another undersized sg/sf who is quite old. Would rather see someone like Barnes or Butler who are big and can play sf and small ball pf.
Josh Howard would be amazing if he's healthy, he had season ending surgery didn't he?

montgod
07-13-2010, 09:02 AM
STEIN_LINE_HQ

Sources: Kobe and Raja Bell will meet face-to-face this week in LA as Kobe continues to recruit his old nemesis in free agency. Link soon

I just saw this. The only benefit for him would be more minutes with the Spurs vs. LA imo.

ElNono
07-13-2010, 09:02 AM
STEIN_LINE_HQ

They got Artest already... WTF?

TJastal
07-13-2010, 09:04 AM

And Shannon Brown too. I can't see where Bell fits in and the guy hates Bryant with a passion.

TJastal
07-13-2010, 09:07 AM
I don't think were going for another undersized sg/sf who is quite old. Would rather see someone like Barnes or Butler who are big and can play sf and small ball pf.
Josh Howard would be amazing if he's healthy, he had season ending surgery didn't he?

Howard=potential head case. He'd probably grouse about $$$$ and minutes all year long.

I'd much prefer Matt Barnes, he's tough as nails, doesn't complain about his role/minutes, and can defend and shoot 3's at an adequate %

ohmwrecker
07-13-2010, 09:07 AM
Shannon Brown is a FA and not likely to return.

jiggy_55
07-13-2010, 09:08 AM
STEIN_LINE_HQ

Continuation:

STEIN_LINE_HQ

Lakers still have $1.8M left of their MLE and Raja is guy Kobe wants. The longtime rivals have already talked a lot by phone and text

http://twitter.com/STEIN_LINE_HQ/status/18438861958

sa_butta
07-13-2010, 09:09 AM
I am also one who would rather have Matt Barnes, I think he would bring some much needed fire to the team.

ohmwrecker
Ronnie Brewer!

jiggy_55
Howard=potential head case. He'd probably grouse about $$$$ and minutes all year long.

I'd much prefer Matt Barnes, he's tough as nails, doesn't complain about his role/minutes, and can defend and shoot 3's at an adequate %

Agreed. Simply put though, Howard is much more talented. If it's possible to have him than I would go for him.

But I would love Barnes or Butler. We still don't know what's going on with RJ.

montgod
07-13-2010, 09:13 AM
Agreed. Simply put though, Howard is much more talented. If it's possible to have him than I would go for him.

But I would love Barnes or Butler. We still don't know what's going on with RJ.

Well if we are trying for headcases who might be cheaper due to recent injury, why not enter Al Harrington in the mix?

jiggy_55
07-13-2010, 09:23 AM
Well if we are trying for headcases who might be cheaper due to recent injury, why not enter Al Harrington in the mix?

Al Harrington will no way go for such little value. And I'm unaware of any significant injuries that he's suffered, he played most of last season. Howard had season ending surgery towards the end of the year, and he had lots of trouble with his ankle with Dallas.

Thomas82
07-13-2010, 09:30 AM
I have a suggestion that nobody is talking about: The Spurs should give Cleveland a call and see if they can get Danny Green. That was who I wanted the Spurs to draft last year, especially since nobody expected us to be able to get Dejuan Blair. He is being wasted in Cleveland.

tdunk21
07-13-2010, 09:32 AM

kobe is trying to get the people who can potentially stop kobe from scoring or atleast give him problems on the offensive end...first artest, then bell...am sure lakers also considered barnes and tony allen

jiggy_55
07-13-2010, 09:48 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=5375672

Another post from Stein about Bell and his meeting with Kobe, mentions Spurs interest.

Stein: "NBA front-office sources say that Bell continues to draw interest from a variety of playoff teams, such as Miami, Dallas and San Antonio. One source said signing with the Heat has essentially been ruled out because of Miami's financial constraints after signing LeBron James, Chris Bosh and Mike Miller to flank the re-signed Dwyane Wade and Udonis Haslem. But the Suns are also weighing the prospect of trying to bring Bell back."

Xylus
07-13-2010, 10:05 AM
I'd give my right arm to have Raja Bell back. One of my favorite Suns players of all time.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-13-2010, 10:25 AM

Another post from Stein about Bell and his meeting with Kobe, mentions Spurs interest.

Stein: "NBA front-office sources say that Bell continues to draw interest from a variety of playoff teams, such as Miami, Dallas and San Antonio. One source said signing with the Heat has essentially been ruled out because of Miami's financial constraints after signing LeBron James, Chris Bosh and Mike Miller to flank the re-signed Dwyane Wade and Udonis Haslem. But the Suns are also weighing the prospect of trying to bring Bell back."

If Miami's out due to financial constraints, you have to like our chances over LA as wel...

Cane
07-13-2010, 10:30 AM
If Miami's out due to financial constraints, you have to like our chances over LA as wel...

Tiago and no state income tax ftw.

rmt
07-13-2010, 10:34 AM
LA has a much better chance at a ring, though. I'm sure both LAL and Spurs are equally hated so it's even there.

Why doesn't Duncan get on the phone and talk to his fellow countryman.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2010, 10:35 AM

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2010, 10:35 AM
Starters
2 Ginobili
3 Jefferson

Bench
2 Bell
2/3 Anderson
3 ?

Bell would be a Kersey/Elie type addition to this Spurs team. They need some vet hardasses to complement the Big 3. In addition, they need to improve the perimeter D. The Spurs have won four championships thanks to this model.

Right now on the wings the Spurs have Ginobili, a rookie, and various borderline D-league players. Hopefully they are able to bring back Jefferson at this point, primarily because the drop off between him and the next reasonable available player is great. Sure, I'd like a gamble on a Josh Howard, but that's more wishful thinking than anything. But the Spurs need vets who are hungry for a ring and who will play hard and execute in the supporting cast. Bell fits the mold.

DesignatedT
07-13-2010, 10:36 AM
If Kobe and the defending champs want him, He has got to be doing something right. lets hope we can lure him here somehow.

DesignatedT
07-13-2010, 10:41 AM
Spurs need to try and sign this guy. I mean I love Temple and Hairston and our young prospects but our these really the guys who are going to step up next to tim duncan and win us a championship? It's a question you really need to think about. I would rather have "the old vet" that everyone seems to hate, but has proven over and over again that is what won us championships. sign this guy up.

mikeb2016
07-13-2010, 11:04 AM
With the consensus argument being Bell vs. Barnes and Butler as a solid 3rd contender, why only hardly a mention for Ronnie Brewer? Granted he does not have a great (or good, or even okay) outside shot, but how good was Bruce Bowen's shot when he arrived in SA? I am not saying Brewer is the defender that Bowen was, but he has the ability to get there. He has the size and athleticism to play the SF position the way we seem to want, and he would actually possess something that very few wings coming to the Spurs have had (in a while, at least)...potential. I grant that he needs to improve his shot to be a viable offensive weapon in the Spurs system, but have him shoot 1000 3's a day from the corner with Chip Engelland, and he just might develop a shooter's touch.

I am not saying I know for a fact that he's the missing puzzle piece, but is there a reason that he is getting so little love here?

urunobili
07-13-2010, 11:07 AM
Kobe recruiting is a fucking beast... :depressed

sa_butta
07-13-2010, 11:12 AM
http://www.projectspurs.com/2010-articles/july/spurs-remain-interested-in-bell.html

jag
07-13-2010, 11:35 AM
The love for Raja bell is strange. He was really showing signs of slowing down in 2007 and Phoenix fans were ready to see him go. As a "defensive stopper" he's lost a lot of lateral quickness. He's pretty much just a physical hard nosed defender without the quickness to keep up...sounds like someone the Spurs had last year. And im not sure how anyone could objectively call Raja Bell a great 3-point shooter. He's an up-n-down kind of outside shooter. His 3-point shooting is definitely not something you're going to count on going into a playoff series.

I'm no Bogans fan, but for anyone that thinks getting Bell is some kind of upgrade, you're going to be disappointed.

MaNu4Tres
07-13-2010, 11:59 AM
As a "defensive stopper" he's lost a lot of lateral quickness. He's pretty much just a physical hard nosed defender without the quickness to keep up...sounds like someone the Spurs had last year. And im not sure how anyone could objectively call Raja Bell a great 3-point shooter. He's an up-n-down kind of outside shooter. His 3-point shooting is definitely not something you're going to count on going into a playoff series.

I'm no Bogans fan, but for anyone that thinks getting Bell is some kind of upgrade, you're going to be disappointed.

I wouldn't say he's lost a lot of lateral quickness. He may have lost a small step, but he still would be our best perimeter defender out of our known commodities in Manu, Jefferson and Hill.

And Bell is 79-164 (48%) from the distance in his past 4 postseasons.

(Also: since 2004-2005 season Bell has shot above 40% from 3 every year.)

So his 3-point shooting is definitely something you can count on.

Man In Black
07-13-2010, 12:07 PM
And im not sure how anyone could objectively call Raja Bell a great 3-point shooter. He's an up-n-down kind of outside shooter. His 3-point shooting is definitely not something you're going to count on going into a playoff series.

Bogans, for his entire career, has never shot over 40% from the 3 point line and has never been an ALL-NBA Defensive 1st Team Player. I like that Bell doesn't mind taking shots. Some of last year's Spurs outside perimeter players had their gonads shrivel up if an outside jumper was needed. Bell...ALL-GONAD team. Anyone that has the gumption to clothesline Kobe, and today, has Kobe calling him despite that, is PIMP. Raja Bell, USVI's best is waiting for another Croixan to join him.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2010, 12:17 PM
Bogans, for his entire career, has never shot over 40% from the 3 point line and has never been an ALL-NBA Defensive 1st Team Player. I like that Bell doesn't mind taking shots. Some of last year's Spurs outside perimeter players had their gonads shrivel up if an outside jumper was needed. Bell...ALL-GONAD team. Anyone that has the gumption to clothesline Kobe, and today, has Kobe calling him despite that, is PIMP. Raja Bell, USVI's best is waiting for another Croixan to join him.

The Spurs need someone like that in their perimeter rotation.

I know, Malik Hairston is going to be that. Right.

Man In Black
07-13-2010, 12:30 PM
What Bowen brought to the Spurs was every bit as essential during their run of titles and Finals appearances, particularly to coach Gregg Popovich, as the playmaking and scoring of Tony Parker, the creativity of Manu Ginobili and the fundamental wonderfulness of Tim Duncan. He was the starch in their black-and-silver shorts, the guy assigned to thwart the other team's most potent scorer and the San Antonio player who invariably became the lightning rod of abuse and invective for fans of 29 other teams.
Sufferers such as Kobe Bryant, Ray Allen, Steve Nash and Nowitzki directed our attention to Bowen's feet (allegedly stepping underneath jump shooters), legs (kicking into his man) and knees (aimed at quadriceps and groins), but I'll always remember his hands flailing around and about the ball-handler like the NHL's Sean Avery pestering Martin Brodeur or, as Phil Jackson said, Edward Scissorhands.
Dirty? At times it sure looked that way -- and Bowen was too good an athlete to pass those moments off as being clumsy. But he was tough, consistent and almost Eddie Haskell-like in his placid expressions through the most physical encounters. And like a single spoonful of castor oil, a little went a long way -- the idea of being guarded by Bowen seemed as distasteful to many NBA stars as the actual experience of it, given his reputation for making an opponent work. That alone made Bowen and the Spurs more effective.
Bowen was named to the All-Defensive team in each of his first eight full NBA seasons. He was runner-up three times for Defensive Player of the Year, though he never won the award that's worthy of being named after him. That doesn't really matter -- what matters is that teams determined to chase a championship feel compelled these days to find a "Bruce Bowen-type" of guy: a clingy, even irritating defender who, for long stretches or whole nights, can negate a dangerous weapon from the other guys' arsenal. Now, from Raja Bell to James Posey, from Trevor Ariza to Jamario Moon, every alleged contender needs someone like Bowen if it expects to be taken seriously.
Some of the players are slightly different in size or build (Matt Barnes, Reggie Evans, Mickael Pietrus). Some, such as Tayshaun Prince, Shane Battier, Ron Artest, Ariza and DeShawn Stevenson, have other skills or attributes at their disposal, occasionally luring them away from Bowen-type duty. But then, Bowen himself never was just a defender, frequently stepping into the corners for a key three-point shot. What they all share at their best, though, is a defense-first focus that the NBA as a whole seems to welcome only in limited quantities, no more than one or two per roster, while coaches, purists and home-team fans welcome them wherever they can find them. Because Bowen reminded us we should.
Summing up his career in his retirement session with reporters, Bowen said: "I hope my legacy would be as someone that never was satisfied with just being where they were."
His legacy goes well beyond that. From inside the offensive man's jersey and head, all the way to "-type" status.

There is no better "Bruce Bowen-Type player" than Raja Bell for the Spurs.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/steve_aschburner/09/04/bowen/index.html

dbestpro
07-13-2010, 12:36 PM
Raja is old.
Barnes is as smart as RJ.
Butler lacks fundamental defensive skills.
Shaq is old, slow and large.
McGrady is too much of a gamble and needs volume shots.
Jones remains the most likely player. An under the radar player who can shoot, has good size and plays adequate defense.

rmt
07-13-2010, 12:40 PM
Gives me chills - reading that. Oh, what memories!

jag
07-13-2010, 12:45 PM

Bell is tough, but he's not going to have the quickness to stay with 2-guards or quick SFs. Everyone knows he's tough but that's one of Bogan's strengths as well. It's not 2005-2006 anymore, and no one has seen the guy play in a year. He'll be 34 once the season starts and i don't see him being the defensive presence he once was. Overall, i think Matt Barnes brings more to the table than Bell. Barnes definitely has his detractors though.

ohmwrecker
07-13-2010, 12:49 PM
Jones remains the most likely player. An under the radar player who can shoot, has good size and plays adequate defense.

Adequate defense isn't going to cut it.

TDMVPDPOY
07-13-2010, 12:51 PM
we need barnes, he will hardened the fck up where most of our players lack

HarlemHeat37
07-13-2010, 12:58 PM
Raja Bell has seen a massive decline in his defense since 2007, it isn't debatable IMO..he's still an above average defender if he's getting 15 minutes or so a game, but not more IMO..

He's obviously an upgrade over Centerpiece, but my mom probably would be too..

Spurs are still lacking heavily in athleticism..they don't have any players with great athleticism or lateral quickness right now..

The Spurs are a long shot to win a title anyways, bringing in one of these minimum caliber vets doesn't change that..if they're going to take a risk, which they are doing either way, I'd much rather go with Hairston/Anderson/Temple..

With the lack of handchecking in today's league, it's tough for these old guys to survive on the defensive end..the Spurs need to go in the direction of speed and athleticism on the wing to make up for the slow speed inside..

MaNu4Tres
07-13-2010, 12:58 PM
Overall, i think Matt Barnes brings more to the table than Bell. Barnes definitely has his detractors though.

Barnes has spent 3 off-seasons trying out for the Spurs in free agent camps and has yet to stick. For whatever reason, Popovich isn't high on the guy.

You can pretty much forget about Barnes.

TJastal
07-13-2010, 01:16 PM
Raja Bell has seen a massive decline in his defense since 2007, it isn't debatable IMO..he's still an above average defender if he's getting 15 minutes or so a game, but not more IMO..

Spurs are still lacking heavily in athleticism..they don't have any players with great athleticism or lateral quickness right now..

The Spurs are a long shot to win a title anyways, bringing in one of these minimum caliber vets doesn't change that..if they're going to take a risk, which they are doing either way, I'd much rather go with Hairston/Anderson/Temple..

With the lack of handchecking in today's league, it's tough for these old guys to survive on the defensive end..the Spurs need to go in the direction of speed and athleticism on the wing to make up for the slow speed inside..

+1

Raja Bell would be nothing more than an expensive spot up 6'6" shooter, something which the spurs already have in Garret Temple.

And I would bet Temple's lateral quickness on defense at this point is better than Bell and Temple can additionally handle the ball and get to the rack much better than Bell. Bell adds virtually no athleticism either, something Hairston can provide in abundance.

It really makes little sense for the spurs to sign Bell. This isn't 2007 anymore.

ElNono
07-13-2010, 01:17 PM

None of those kids are surviving ref calls though, especially in the playoffs. A vet already knows what they can get away with, and against who (I'm talking refs here, not just players). They know much better tendencies, and simply have a much more experience being out there.

I like Hairston/Anderson/Temple to develop and make them part of the future, but right now, if we're really aiming at number 5, it's not going to be those guys (except if the vet is glaringly bad, such as the centerpiece).

jag
07-13-2010, 01:18 PM
I wouldn't say he's lost a lot of lateral quickness. He may have lost a small step, but he still would be our best perimeter defender out of our known commodities in Manu, Jefferson and Hill.

And Bell is 79-164 (48%) from the distance in his past 4 postseasons.

(Also: since 2004-2005 season Bell has shot above 40% from 3 every year.)

So his 3-point shooting is definitely something you can count on.

Raja put up those numbers as a member of the Suns. No other team in the league offered the amount of wide open looks that D'Antoni's offense did. Shawn Marion looked like a competent outside shooter in that offense.

Since leaving the Suns Bell has been just under 40% from 3-point range. The Spurs are no longer a low post oriented offense so i dont think it's accurate to assume Bell would see a big jump in 3-point efficiency with the Spurs. I think it's more accurate to assume the 34 year old would continue seeing a decline in numbers.

This was always the problem with Bell. He was never an athletic player. He relied on physicality to cause perimeter players problems. If you watched how easily Ginobili drove past him throughout the 2008 series, it's not easy to be optimistic about his perimeter defense.

I'm by no means part of the Hairston for president crew, but I'd rather have Hairston guarding opposing SFs than Bell. Hairston at least has the athletic ability to make up for the defensive footwork he's still in the process of developing.

ElNono
07-13-2010, 01:20 PM
Also, there's not going to be a magic 8 ball here. We either are going to play solid defense as a team, with all the components playing at a certain level of defense, or we're not going to make it. It basically doesn't matter if Bell/Hairston/Anderson/Temple do a good job on Kobe, if the weak link is Matt Bonner checking Gasol or Bynum.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-13-2010, 01:26 PM
JaG is right, Raja is more or less done and wouldn't help San Antonio. His body was not built to play 35+ MPG, the 3 seasons he did that for D'antoni put too much tread on his tires for him to ever be anything close to a useful rotation player again. The only reason a team should sign him is as the 11th or 12th man to get spot minutes, he should not be getting consistent minutes anymore.

jag
07-13-2010, 01:27 PM
Also, there's not going to be a magic 8 ball here. We either are going to play solid defense as a team, with all the components playing at a certain level of defense, or we're not going to make it. It basically doesn't matter if Bell/Hairston/Anderson/Temple do a good job on Kobe, if the weak link is Matt Bonner checking Gasol or Bynum.

Not sure why people are still complaining about Bonner. Bonner, when given spot minutes to spread the floor, is quite effective. The Spurs didn't have many other options last season so they were forced to go with Bonner. He shit the bed in the PO, but the Spurs are no longer forced to go with him if he's missing from outside.

ElNono
07-13-2010, 01:31 PM
Not sure why people are still complaining about Bonner. Bonner, when given spot minutes to spread the floor, is quite effective. The Spurs didn't have many other options last season so they were forced to go with Bonner. He shit the bed in the PO, but the Spurs are no longer forced to go with him if he's missing from outside.

I was talking about his defense, not his offense. People like to talk only about one side of the floor when it comes to Matt. It's as if it's automatic that he's gonna suck on the other end. Which is my point. You can bring whatever top perimeter defender or not, but if you're giving up layups to the big man, then it doesn't really matter.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2010, 01:33 PM
Splitter joining and the emergence of Blair will limit Bonner's minutes.

I can see an average per game minutes distribution at the 4 & 5 spots of:

Duncan 30
Splitter 30
Blair 15
McDyess 12
Bonner 9

ElNono
07-13-2010, 01:35 PM
Splitter joining and the emergence of Blair will limit Bonner's minutes.

I can see an average per game minutes distribution at the 4 & 5 spots of:

Duncan 30
Splitter 30
Blair 15
McDyess 12
Bonner 9

I'm with you. That said, you'll have to excuse me if I'm skeptic about Blair getting more playing time than Matt and Dice. I want it to be the case, but I don't think it will be.

MaNu4Tres
07-13-2010, 01:35 PM
JaG is right, Raja is more or less done and wouldn't help San Antonio. His body was not built to play 35+ MPG.

Spurs have Ginobili, Jefferson, Hill, Anderson, Hairston all at the 2 and 3. They don't need Bell to play 35 minutes a night.

All Spurs need is 20 minutes a night out of him.

That is more than capable.

jag
07-13-2010, 01:36 PM
I was talking about his defense, not his offense. People like to talk only about one side of the floor when it comes to Matt. It's as if it's automatic that he's gonna suck on the other end. Which is my point. You can bring whatever top perimeter defender or not, but if you're giving up layups to the big man, then it doesn't really matter.

Again, when i say the Spurs aren't forced to go with him, that obviously applies to both ends of the floor. Matt hustles, has good footwork and plays fundamental D. He struggles when he's forced to guard highly athletic players - Marion with Dallas, Amare with the Suns - and the Spurs couldn't play McDyess 40 min and were many times forced to go with Bonner. This shouldn't be the issue any more. His defense isn't changing, so if he's hitting from the outside he's a great asset. If he's not, the Spurs don't have to give him minutes, especially if he's facing unfavorable defensive matchups.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-13-2010, 01:37 PM
Spurs have Ginobili, Jefferson, Hill, Anderson, Hairston all at the 2 and 3. They don't need Bell to play 35 minutes a night.

All Spurs need is 20 minutes a night out of him.

That is more than capable.

:lmao way to take a sentence out of context.

Any team relying on Bell to play 20 MPG would be a team with major problems.

MaNu4Tres
07-13-2010, 01:43 PM
:lmao way to take a sentence out of context.

Any team relying on Bell to play 20 MPG would be a team with major problems.

Yet Lakers want to sign him for roughly the same role...

ElNono
07-13-2010, 01:44 PM
Again, when i say the Spurs aren't forced to go with him, that obviously applies to both ends of the floor. Matt hustles, has good footwork and plays fundamental D. He struggles when he's forces to guard highly athletic players - Marion with Dallas, Amare with the Suns - the Spurs couldn't play McDyess 40 min and were many times forced to go with Bonner. This shouldn't be the issue any more. His defense isn't changing, so if he's hitting from the outside he's a great asset. If he's not, the Spurs don't have to give him minutes, especially if he's facing unfavorable defensive matchups.

"Give the ball to whoever Bonner is guarding"... should tell you all you need to know about his defense. Career 4 rebounds per game? That's Matty! A lot of players hustle, that doesn't mean they're talented or should be getting minutes over more talented players. As Marcus said, there's always hope that he won't see the floor due to the other bigs being more talented and evolving into better players. But when you're actually hoping a player is not going to see the floor, what does that tell you about that player?

And as I told Marcus, you're going to have to excuse my skepticism. If he was getting 20 mpg last season, and now he was re-signed with a raise nonetheless, I don't really see his minutes going down. I certainly hope to be wrong about that.

Man In Black
07-13-2010, 01:48 PM
None of those kids are surviving ref calls though, especially in the playoffs. A vet already knows what they can get away with, and against who (I'm talking refs here, not just players). They know much better tendencies, and simply have a much more experience being out there.

I like Hairston/Anderson/Temple to develop and make them part of the future, but right now, if we're really aiming at number 5, it's not going to be those guys (except if the vet is glaringly bad, such as the centerpiece).

Agreed...all of that athleticism won't mean shit since the refs control the flow of the game. With Bell comes a modicum of respect and an understanding that he's going to play physical and get the levity needed for the Spurs to leave him on an island. All of HAT combined don't carry the cachet that Bell has. It sucks I know, but going into the playoffs, I am much more comfortable knowing that there is a Bowen-type player who will be allowed to play that type of D, even if it's not as formidable as it once was. It worked for Artest, I'm thinking it could work that way for Bell as well.

jag
07-13-2010, 01:49 PM
Yet Lakers want to sign him for roughly the same role...

As their premier perimeter defensive stopper? No, that's not the role he would play in LA. He'd ride the bench and guard the opposing team's second unit SG or SF. If the Spurs want a guy to guard second unit SG/SF then they already have one with Hairston. If you think Hairston has questionable handles, then you're going to lose your mind watching Bell try to dribble in the half-court. Hairston can create offense and run the fast break...Bell can't do either.

IF the Spurs sign RJ, they will have no need for Bell...not for anything over the vet min, anyway. If he takes the vet min, cool, sign him up.

ElNono
07-13-2010, 01:52 PM
IF the Spurs sign RJ, they will have no need for Bell...not for anything over the vet min, anyway. If he takes the vet min, cool, sign him up.

How you figure that? It's not like RJ was closing games for us... Hill was, because he was allegedly the better defender and shooter...

Man In Black
07-13-2010, 01:54 PM
Do any of those HAT guys have enough game that the refs will let them play it?

MaNu4Tres
07-13-2010, 01:55 PM
As their premier perimeter defensive stopper? No, that's not the role he would play in LA. He'd ride the bench and guard the opposing team's second unit SG or SF. .

Bell would play roughly 20 minutes a night in both situations. Essentially the same role, yes.

jag
07-13-2010, 02:04 PM
Bell would play roughly 20 minutes a night in both situations. Essentially the same role, yes.

I wouldn't say he's lost a lot of lateral quickness. He may have lost a small step, but he still would be our best perimeter defender.

With the lakers he would be the 3rd or 4th best perimeter defender. With the Spurs you would consider him the best perimeter defender. You think those two players have the same roles on their respective teams?

TJastal
07-13-2010, 02:07 PM
As their premier perimeter defensive stopper? No, that's not the role he would play in LA. He'd ride the bench and guard the opposing team's second unit SG or SF. If the Spurs want a guy to guard second unit SG/SF then they already have one with Hairston. If you think Hairston has questionable handles, then you're going to lose your mind watching Bell try to dribble in the half-court. Hairston can create offense and run the fast break...Bell can't do either.

Raja Bell will karate-chop his opponents into ribbons!! He doesn't need lateral quickness he'll just chop them like as they blow by him!! And the refs will let him go Bruce Lee on his opponents because, like, he's Raja Bell n shit

jag
07-13-2010, 02:09 PM
Raja Bell will karate-chop his opponents into ribbons!! He doesn't need lateral quickness he'll just chop them like as they blow by him!! And the refs will let him go Bruce Lee on his opponents because, like, he's Raja Bell n shit

The referees apparently have some kind of weird respect for the guy that i've yet to see.

MaNu4Tres
07-13-2010, 02:14 PM
With the lakers he would be the 3rd or 4th best perimeter defender. With the Spurs you would consider him the best perimeter defender. You think those two players have the same roles on their respective teams?

Artest is better used against bigger wings, who have to change their gears off the dribble and use their girth to create shots from the post.

Bell would be used against smaller wings that are quicker off the dribble, relieving Bryant of the duty 20 minutes a night.

Even though Bell would be the Spurs' best perimeter defender, that doesn't mean Bell will have to play 35 minutes a night on the best offensive player. That wouldn't be his role.

His role would be to provide perimeter defense and 3 point shooting in 20 minutes a night, same as it would with the Lakers.

Where he ranks defensively on his own team is irrelevant.

jag
07-13-2010, 02:24 PM
Artest is better used against bigger wings, who have to change their gears off the dribble and use their girth to create shots from the post.

Bell would be used against smaller wings that are quicker off the dribble, relieving Bryant of the duty 20 minutes a night.

I'm not sure what it's going to take to convince you that you don't want Raja guarding small, quick guards and/or wings. If Suns fan can't convince you, and if watching him during the 2008 playoffs didn't convince you, then i guess you can keep your 2003-2006 opinion on the guy.

Even though Bell would be the Spurs' best perimeter defender, that doesn't mean Bell will have to play 35 minutes a night on the best offensive player. That wouldn't be his role.

So why not just use Hairston, who's younger, quicker, more athletic and has a better offensive game? Where's the appeal in having a supposed "defensive stopper" if he isn't going to be used to stop anyone?

Roger Mason and Michael Finley disagree.

TJastal
07-13-2010, 02:28 PM

His role would be to provide perimeter defense and 3 point shooting in 20 minutes a night, same as it would with the Lakers.

Why don't we just actually play Garret Temple since he's the same size as Bell, with similar skillset, and is virtually almost on the roster already and will be cheaper?

MaNu4Tres
07-13-2010, 02:32 PM
:lol

Please where in my post did I say, I rather have Bell than Hairston.

or Hairston is a scrub...

All I'm arguing is Bell would have the same role on the Spurs and the Lakers.

jag
07-13-2010, 02:43 PM
:lol

Please where in my post did I say, I rather have Bell than Hairston.

or Hairston is a scrub...

Please, where in my post did i accuse you of saying that? I offered Hairston as an alternative for that role because he's a better option.

All I'm arguing is Bell would have the same role on the Spurs and the Lakers.

So he can use his quickness and foot speed to slow those guys down. k

MaNu4Tres
07-13-2010, 02:48 PM
So he can use his quickness and foot speed to slow those guys down. k

He's not Bruce Bowen, but Raja Bell is similar in his work ethic and with his build.

If Bowen can do it for 32 minutes a night at the age of 34, surely Bell can for 20 minutes a night. Which is why the Lakers are after him.

ElNono
07-13-2010, 02:48 PM

The referees apparently have some kind of weird respect for the guy that i've yet to see.

Reputation calls or non-calls don't exist on the NBA anymore?

:rolleyes

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2010, 02:49 PM
Hairston is the second coming, but concluding that the Spurs screwed up with Mahinmi is absurd. The conventional wisdom on this board is amusing.

Man In Black
07-13-2010, 02:52 PM
So why not just use Hairston, who's younger, quicker, more athletic and has a better offensive game? Where's the appeal in having a supposed "defensive stopper" if he isn't going to be used to stop anyone?

Now, from Raja Bell to James Posey, from Trevor Ariza to Jamario Moon, every alleged contender needs someone like Bowen if it expects to be taken seriously.

So if you use HAT(Hairston, Anderson, Temple) could any of those guys be players that can be taken seriously?

NBA front-office sources say that Bell continues to draw interest from a variety of playoff teams, such as Miami, Dallas and San Antonio. One source said signing with the Heat has essentially been ruled out because of Miami's financial constraints after signing LeBron James, Chris Bosh and Mike Miller to flank the re-signed Dwyane Wade and Udonis Haslem. But the Suns are also weighing the prospect of trying to bring Bell back.

Bryant, though, has not abandoned his pursuit and continues to press Bell to join the Lakers, who have only $1.8 million of their mid-level exception left to offer Bell next season after signing Steve Blake.

One source close to the situation said memories of Bell's takedown, which earned him a suspension for Game 6 of the series -- the Suns, down 3-2, won the game at Staples Center without him -- are actually one reason why Bryant sees Bell as such an ideal teammate. The premise? Anyone with the gumption to hit Bryant that hard is someone he wants on his team.

Again...None of those HAT guys have that kind of respect. Perceived Ref respect, granted...but Kobe's respect? Documented!

jag
07-13-2010, 02:57 PM
He's not Bruce Bowen, but Raja Bell is similar in his work ethic and with his build.

If Bowen can do it for 32 minutes a night at the age of 34, surely Bell can for 20 minutes a night. Which is why the Lakers are after him.

Bowen and Bell played different styles of defense. Too many people are grasping for another Bruce Bowen "type" of guy. I'd love to have Bruce back too, but i'm not going to place his label on a guy that you can declare has Bruce-like qualities. I don't care what kind of tough mindset Raja has, he doesn't have the physical ability to be a perimeter stopper anymore. If the Spurs go into a playoff series and i hear that Manu is going to be matched up against Raja i'm going to be very excited.

MaNu4Tres
07-13-2010, 02:57 PM
People should just forget Bell, he obviously just turned 44 years old and can't move anymore. What do Mitch Kupchick, Phil Jackson, Greg Popovich, R.C Buford, Pat Riley know anyway?

MaNu4Tres
07-13-2010, 02:58 PM
What else is out there in free agency for 2.4 million that is Bowen-like then Jag?

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2010, 03:02 PM
So Bell might not be a 35 mpg starter, but rather a 15 mpg reserve who can come in, play aggressive D, and knock down a couple momentum shifting 3s. I'll take that, instead of Roger "Money" Mase or whatever remaining dogshit the Spurs would have instead on the bench.

bigzak25
07-13-2010, 03:03 PM

Co-signed.

I wanted our Spurs to trade RJ to Golden State for Maggette and Raja last year...even though Raja wouldn't have played and would have had to be re-signed anyway. I'm sure Golden State wanted nothing to do with it though. :lol

Getting a well rested Bell who should be ready to play ball and eager to win a ring would be awesome. And he's another vet for the rookie to learn from.

I hope it happens.

jag
07-13-2010, 03:04 PM
Reputation calls or non-calls don't exist on the NBA anymore?

:rolleyes

It doesn't matter if bell is unable to keep up with quality SG's and SF's. He's going to get reputation calls. Ok bro

Hairston is the second coming, but concluding that the Spurs screwed up with Mahinmi is absurd. The conventional wisdom on this board is amusing.

Try not to clump me into the group of morons that wanted RJ gone and Hairston to start at SF. I think Hairston is better than Raja Bell...that's not saying much. I think the Spurs put too much work into Mahinmi to let him go the way they did...but that has nothing to do with this so i'm not sure why it's relevant.