PDA

View Full Version : How to circumvent the current salary cap

SomeCallMeTim
07-12-2010, 06:37 PM
I could be wrong here. Correct me if I am.

From what I understand, taking on a FA on a one-year deal then gives that team Bird rights.

Therefore, to circumvent the cap, teams could ostensibly sign star players to one year, below-market deals. MLE, LLE, etc. Would work even with teams over the cap.

Then once the team has Bird rights, those players could be signed to max extensions. I guess I'm not entirely clear they'd have those Bird rights after a one-year deal but I think they do.

This would require:

a) a team willing to spend absolute gobs of cash because team payroll would easily exceed $100M and then luxury tax would be huge

b) a little "wink-wink" understanding between team and player that they'll get extended. hard to imagine that wouldn't already be assumed for a guy like Melo or Paul -- what team is not going to sign them to a max extension if they'll take it?

c) league approval -- they could call shenanigans

I think step c might be the hardest one -- would Stern nix something like that?

Sure seems permissible under the current CBA... just like what LeBron and Bosh did was wholly OK -- no monkey business needed.

Edward
07-12-2010, 06:41 PM
A player needs to be on a team for 3 full seasons, or be acquired by the team via trade before the team has bird rights.

So if a player was willing to take a 3 year discount at the MLE or LLE, then yeah, this loophole would work, but not very many players are gonna take that discount for 3 years of their prime.

SomeCallMeTim
07-12-2010, 06:59 PM
A player needs to be on a team for 3 full seasons, or be acquired by the team via trade before the team has bird rights.

So if a player was willing to take a 3 year discount at the MLE or LLE, then yeah, this loophole would work, but not very many players are gonna take that discount for 3 years of their prime.

Yeah. Injury risk too great, too. Couldn't see it happening. I still think the NBA's CBA is pretty good. Wonder if they'll totally nuke it at the next bargaining talks.

Edward
07-12-2010, 07:00 PM
I think there needs to be a hard salary cap and partially guaranteed deals. Spending is out of control, and the NFL CBA is by far the best.

MiamiHeat
07-12-2010, 07:07 PM
Lakers salary right now is about 90 million.

They'd be the first team to suffer