PDA

View Full Version : Would you like a S&T of Richard Jefferson for Wilson Chandler?

MoSpur
07-12-2010, 10:05 PM
Supposedly RJ wanted/wants to go back to the NY area and the Knicks are willing to trade Chandler. So would you all like this trade if possible?

DPG21920
07-12-2010, 10:06 PM
Of course.

ChuckD
07-12-2010, 10:09 PM
The Knicks don't want RJ

They already talked to his people during FA, and said they weren't interested.

DAF86
07-12-2010, 10:09 PM
If he can't shoot he doesn't fit the Spurs system.

yavozerb
07-12-2010, 10:14 PM
The guy has had surgeries on his ankles the last 2 off-seasons..no thanks

SenorSpur
07-12-2010, 10:16 PM
It would depend on how fast the Spurs could hook him up with Chip to improve his shooting stroke. :lol

Cane
07-12-2010, 10:17 PM
He did get arrested back in May for marijuana possession. He's also recovering from injuries/surgeries but looks to be cleared to play soon and he is young. IIRC.

Not sure if he's really Spurs material though given the arrest and he doesn't seem as durable, also wonder how he'd handle Pop's coaching. Seems like he's a worse fit than RJ since he's worse from long range, he won't have playoffs experience in the Spurs system or experience period, potential character issues, not as durable and seemingly prone to injury; but Chandler is younger.

Rather have RJ.

slick'81
07-12-2010, 10:17 PM
might as well cant be worse than rj lasts season

timvp
07-12-2010, 10:18 PM
If the Spurs are going with a non-shooter, non-defender at small forward, it might as well be RJ since he has one year under his belt.

DesignatedT
07-12-2010, 10:19 PM
Why wouldnt NY just sign are RJ and keep wilson lol

SenorSpur
07-12-2010, 10:23 PM
The Knicks don't want RJ

They already talked to his people during FA, and said they weren't interested.

I don't know why the Knicks wouldn't want RJ. His offense would certainly help open things up for Amare - and let's face it - playing for D'Antoni, RJ wouldn't have to be saddled with doing more complicated things, like putting out effort on the defensive end. Oops, I just remembered the Knicks have Gallanari. Having RJ would likely hinder Gallanari's progression.

If we import Chandler's defensive capabilities into RJ's body, we'd have a well-rounded player.

That said, I'd probably do the swap. Then start immediately ramping up Chandler's shooting skills over the summer.

DPG21920
07-12-2010, 10:26 PM
Chandler's defense > RJ's.

SenorSpur
07-12-2010, 10:32 PM
As someone who watches the Atlantic division closely I can say that Chandler is a top one on one defender in the league and if he had a shot blocker or two behind him he'd be even better. He can guard positions 1-4 and is effective on pick and roll defense especially. The only worries I would have is the injuries, but I doubt he missed any more than 30 games last year. That's bound to happen with an 82 game season to a lot of younger players. .

Does he have a high injury history?

HarlemHeat37
07-12-2010, 10:33 PM
I'm big on Ill Will's potential, but saying he's a top defender is a massive reach..

He's an inconsistent defender that shows flashes, and he has the potential to be a top defender, he definitely isn't right now..

The Knicks don't want Jefferson..they aren't high on him, and the Knicks fanbase hates Jefferson..

Chandler can't shoot, but he would give the Spurs an ideal SF/PF with some length for small ball, and he still has a lot of potential left..

SenorSpur
07-12-2010, 10:34 PM
I'm big on Ill Will's potential, but saying he's a top defender is a massive reach..

He's an inconsistent defender that shows flashes, and he has the potential to be a top defender, he definitely isn't right now..

The Knicks don't want Jefferson..they aren't high on him, and the Knicks fanbase hates Jefferson..

Chandler can't shoot, but he would give the Spurs an ideal SF/PF with some length for small ball, and he still has a lot of potential left..

Why do Knick fans hate RJ?

After all, this is an organization that has endured Stephon Marbury and Eddy Curry?

DPG21920
07-12-2010, 10:49 PM
I thought this was just theoretical. If so, there is absolutely no argument against it.

Upside: Chandler

Better Defense: Chandler

More energetic: Chandler

Better contract: Chandler

That one sucky year from RJ does not really mean much imo.

tdunk21
07-12-2010, 10:52 PM
RJ had problems with the spurs system....what is the guarantee that chandler will not have any problems with our system??? am not saying Rj is good defender.....am just saying that we need a slasher at SF who can knock down 3's, i see some people in here say that he cant shoot the 3pt shot

DPG21920
07-12-2010, 10:53 PM
There is none, but that extra year of experience does nothing to sway the argument at all. Even if Chandler struggles, he does most things better the Spurs need and he is way cheaper.

DPG21920
07-12-2010, 10:54 PM
If they want to dump Chandler, his salary is right in line with what the Spurs have left over from the MLE. They could very easily trade some non-guaranteed contracts for him instead of signing a FA with that MLE money. If he was a FA, he would pretty easily be the top target.

In fact, they should.

Gee/Jerrels/Malik for Chandler. Spurs probably get all of them back.

Dalamar_the_Dark
07-13-2010, 12:02 AM
Chandler - NO. Eddie House - YES.

Mr Bones
07-13-2010, 12:10 AM
The Spurs easily could've had Chandler/Jeffries for expiring contracts two years ago, which would've saved money, avoided the Jefferson situation, and made them a longer, better team. Oh well.

ChuckD
07-13-2010, 12:33 AM
I don't know why the Knicks wouldn't want RJ. His offense would certainly help open things up for Amare - and let's face it - playing for D'Antoni, RJ wouldn't have to be saddled with doing more complicated things, like putting out effort on the defensive end. Oops, I just remembered the Knicks have Gallanari. Having RJ would likely hinder Gallanari's progression.

If we import Chandler's defensive capabilities into RJ's body, we'd have a well-rounded player.

That said, I'd probably do the swap. Then start immediately ramping up Chandler's shooting skills over the summer.

Well, you know, I don't know why not either. What I do know is that a source in their FO was quoted as saying they had zero interest in RJ during FA. They didn't go into reasons why not

Do you think they want to suddenly give up assets for him when they could have just signed him outright? Doesn't make any sense to me.