PDA

View Full Version : Manu´s news (in spanish)

yagozev
07-13-2010, 06:48 AM
Today appeared a new article on Manu in the newspaper La Nación. The title
is "I feel guilty for not going to the World Cup"! :rolleyes

http://www.canchallena.com/1284194

Enjoy! :toast

yagozev
07-13-2010, 06:55 AM
In this one, Manu talks about the LeBron decision:

http://www.canchallena.com/1284195-la-nba-pases-dolares-contratos

He's happy with the Heat's 3 stars, because with only one ball they are less dangerous than each one of them in differents teams! :lol

ElNono
07-13-2010, 07:12 AM
I'll translate

urunobili
07-13-2010, 07:38 AM
great interview :tu

jermaine
07-13-2010, 07:44 AM
In this one, Manu talks about the LeBron decision:

http://www.canchallena.com/1284195-la-nba-pases-dolares-contratos

He's happy with the Heat's 3 stars, because with only one ball they are less dangerous than each one of them in differents teams! :lol

Dammmm good point! We winning it all this year man! Trading parker or not we winning! I'm not saying that I really believe it in my heart!

ElNono
07-13-2010, 08:16 AM
First one:

"I feel guilty not going to the World Championship"

In his return to the country after signing a new contract and become a father of twins, Manu Ginóbili said "It hurts me to leave the team with one less option", but he acknowledged that Argentina can still win in Turkey.
by Miguel Romano, LA NACIÓN

This time he didn't arrive from San Antonio with an extra ring in his finger, but you still can notice he's happy, satisfied. And it's not just because of the pleasure of returning to his home country and his home city: It's because at this time, the Ginobili family are not just two, but four. In this return trip to Argentina Manu brought with him the most sought after title, father, one that he was anxious to have a for a while now. And he transmits that, in his gestures, in the expressions on his face. "The twins didn't sleep in the first three hours of the flight, so we've been walking them through the aisles, trying not to bother the rest of the passengers. But everything is fine, we're happy, they're already 8 months old", says without attempting to hide his smile while telling some anecdote in his new role as a father.

While Many, his wife, Dante and Nicola, his heirs, rest in a hotel room in the Hotel Panamericano in Buenos Aires, the new dad jumps from one seat to another between microphones, contract signatures and photo sessions.

- Does it crosses your mind the possibility of repenting and say "I'm going to the Worlds"?

Yes, I get that thought. And it's hard to think I'm not going to play in Turkey. I tell myself: "I'm crazy! I can't miss it!" Not going gives me a weird feeling. I feel guilty of not going. I think about Luis, Chapu, Fabri, Carlitos, Pablo and it hurts to leave them with one less option, but physically I need not to be in the national team. Regardless, when the ball goes up in the air I'm going to want to die, it's going to be really hard.

- What do you do when you feel like going to Turkey?

I think about how long it took and how hard it was to make the decision. And I need to respond with the head, thinking about the future, and not with the heart.

- Did you talk to your teammates, did you tell them you're sorry?

No, no. The ones that are in the NBA know everything. Before making a decision I was always in contact with them telling them it was going to be complicated, that I couldn't make it, that the twins were about to arrive, that I really needed the rest. They knew about the entire process. But I did tell them: "I'm not retiring. You can count on me for 2011 and 2012".

- Was there support for your decision?

Yes, completely. They understand and know my situation. They know it can happen to any of them tomorrow. We know each other a lot and so we know what everyone is thinking or what's going on.

- Don't you feel privileged that you can pick which tournament to play in the NT? I'm asking because Gaby Fernandez or Colo Wolkowyski said a while back that they couldn't play because of family reasons and they were never called up again.

I'm not sure this is the same case. I always been in contact with Oveja (coach hernanfez), even many months ago, keeping him up to date about my situation. And after so many years on the team, I think I deserve some consideration. Same with Fabri Oberto or if Pepe Sanchez would like to come back. One deserves, I think, some degree of respect.

- Do you think the Worlds title is closer than ever?

Well, it's hard to tell. In Japan 2006 we also were close… This is a great opportunity, all the teams have an absence or two, although I think Spain is a step above Argentina. Instead, team USA is in a delicate situation. With most of the roster that won the Olympics missing, they have notoriously less potential. We need more depth in our bench, that's why I think Spain is the clear cut favorite.

- Luis Scola said Argentina can win the Worlds

I believe it too. It's one game. We can beat anybody even if the rival looks stronger on paper.

- What are the arguments that sustain that optimism?

Talent, the better understanding of FIBA basketball than team USA, group chemistry, the experience of having played the last four semifinals of Worlds and Olympic Games. Only Argentina and Spain have players that know each other for a long time. There are other teams that are candidates, like Serbia, France, Lithuania, but they don't have that chemistry.

- What does it mean to have Pancho Jasen back in the team?

Pancho is very necessary. He has a lot of experience, he has 10 or 11 years playing at a top level in Spain, he knows the other teams better than anybody and he's a great backup to Chapu.

- Isn't it too much for you to be 3 months without playing?

No, I'm going to take advantage of it, do some weightlifting, get strong, work on my jump, things I didn't do other times and that every NBA player does before starting the preseason with the team. And it will be the last time I realistically have time to do it. The next two times I'll be with the NT.

- Are you going to Turkey as a fan?

No, if I go I can't train the way I want to do it.

- Are you going to visit the team during training while they're in the country?

Yeah, I told everyone and Oveja that I'll stop by and say hi. I don't know if in Salta, Santa Fe or when they come to Buenos Aires.

- If the US does not win the Worlds, they'll have to come to Mar del Plata next year to play the olympic qualifier, which only grants two seats for London 2012. Who are you going to root for in Turkey?

Argentina first, obviously, and the US second (laughs). If they don't qualify directly, they'll come with everything they have to Mar del Plata, with all the stars and so there will only be one spot for the rest of the teams to fight for. And it won't be easy. Regardless, I'm really happy this tournament will be played in this country. It will be the first time since Neuquen 2001 that we would be playing in the country.

Thinking about Mar del Plata might actually work as motivation for Manu Ginobili that will be suffering and watching when his teammates and friends look for the title they're missing, and that it was within reach two times already.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I would have loved to experience that pressure and that adrenaline that was in the South Africa World Cup", says Emanuel Ginobili, big time sports consumer by TV and definitely caught by soccer in the last few weeks.

"In the final, when I saw the Spanish and Holland players walking on the field, I wanted to be in the skin of the players. With millions and millions of people expectant. Must be such an unique feeling! I imagined getting to the dressing room, the coach's talk, and those 15 seconds before going to the pitch when you talk to your teammates and motivate everyone… Yeah, sure, I experienced the world cup as a sport person and I would have loved to be competing there, although I'm terrible at soccer and it's not even my favorite sport".

When we asked to compare it with basketball, the response was automatic: "It's a lot more unpredictable. In basketball, the favorite normally goes all the way to the final, in soccer it's not like that. A goal in the first two minutes changes everything. If Casillas didn't stop that Robben ball, Holland could have been easily champions. Look at team USA, a goal in the last minute put them atop their group and if they didn't score they would have been eliminated. Basketball is a little more logical."

What he didn't wan to opine about was the Argentina's soccer NT: "No, I'm not going to do it. I don't like it when people that don't know much about basketball opine about it, so I'm not going to analyze the NT, since I don't know anything about soccer. That said, I didn't miss a single game".

siraulo23
07-13-2010, 08:30 AM
Thanks for the translation ElNono!

yagozev
07-13-2010, 08:38 AM
Nono grosso!!! :king

Yo vivo en Neuquén, vos dónde estás? Saludos... Daniel

ElNono
07-13-2010, 08:44 AM
Second:

The NBA: Trades, dollars, contracts

The player from Bahia Blanca analyzed the news from Miami and the Spur's new acquisitions

"I would have never put together a show like LeBron James", says, smiling, Manu Ginobili. "I didn't think it was proper to play with the feelings of people like that, but I do acknowledge that a player with the popularity he has can do anything he wants, and produce incredible ratings, that were even bigger than any NBA game with exception of the Finals", he added with regards to the announcement that the ex-Cleveland player made last thursday when he communicated he was going to sign with Miami to play with Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh.

"I'm happy that they'll all play together", he surprised everyone. "And if Chris Paul goes there even better. Can you imagine all those stars together and with only one ball they won't be as dangerous as everyone in their own franchises. That said, they'll be a great team, even more if they add some role players and LeBron accepts to be more of a generator of offense than a finisher".

About the Spurs, he said he was surprised about Richard Jefferson opting out: "But I think he could be back. I think he decided to opt out to negotiate a longer term deal. There's a period of uncertainty looming on the NBA. It's possible that there could be a lockout in the future while owners and players discuss the next CBA". He also displayed satisfaction with the addition of Tiago Splitter, but he cautioned: "he's going to have to learn how to guard Howard, Gasol or Amare. Everything is going to be new. In Europe he didn't face players so athletic or strong. The first season is always to adjust: learn the new rules, your rivals, learn the system".

He was also happy about Bonner coming back and said it's very unlikely that Tony Parker would leave. "It was a rumor, I heard it, but I don't think he's going anywhere. Tony is in his last season contractually and maybe the Spurs, fearing of losing him, would prefer to trade him now, but who's going to come in his place?. Unless they trade him for Kobe Bryant. And I don't think Kobe is coming over? I don't know. All these negotiations have a lot of financial chess and you never know".

And after so much movement in the NBA market, with contracts that are well above his recent extension with San Antonio ($39m/3 years), Manu is not worried: "I always knew that i could get more money, but I had to wait until the end of June to be a free agent and see what would happen. I didn't consider it necessary because they gave me what I asked for. I wanted to stay in San Antonio. I wanted to be at peace."

"After almost 5 years of frustrations it looks like the stadium in Bahia Blanca will be built. I dream of seeing it complete and playing in it. I don't care what name it carries, if it's Alberto Pedro Cabrera, I think it's great", said Manu Ginobili

One more tidbit: "That Kobe is not going to the Worlds will make team USA weaker, and the project fades even more if the rest are also not going. You could see it coming. They wouldn't be able to play 8 years all together. Besides, for them the Olympics is more attractive than the Worlds. Regardless, the team that's going will have good chances because of their talent and technique".

ElNono
07-13-2010, 08:45 AM
Nono grosso!!! :king

Yo vivo en Neuquén, vos dónde estás? Saludos... Daniel

En Nueva Jersey. Saluditos a los neuquinos!

hater
07-13-2010, 09:30 AM
LOL Argentina

Spurs Brazil
07-13-2010, 01:12 PM
Thanks ElNono

Stringer_Bell
07-13-2010, 01:24 PM
Manu is such a competitor, this Summer will re-energize him and the new guys will learn a lot from him. GUNZ UP!!!!!

Solid D
07-13-2010, 01:25 PM
"The twins didn't sleep in the first three hours of the flight, so we've been walking them through the aisles, trying not to bother the rest of the passengers. But everything is fine, we're happy, they're already 8 months old", says without attempting to hide his smile while telling some anecdote in his new role as a father.

8 weeks old. :)