lol dead

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?id=5375561

MiamiHeat
07-13-2010, 09:02 AM
nah brah, thats fucked up

Rest in Peace

sa_butta
07-13-2010, 09:06 AM
I didn't really like the guy, but its still sad... I guess one of his sons will take over and still buy Championships in NY.

Edward
07-13-2010, 09:10 AM
Yeah George was actually a good business man (just a royal prick) who put himself in a position where he had a bottomless pit of money to spend on NY.

Hank Steinbrenner is just a fat faggot who didn't work for shit yet thinks he's accomplished a bunch. Tony Kornheiser once said about him, "he was born on 3rd base and thinks he hit a triple" which is completely true.

TheNextGen
07-13-2010, 09:52 AM
Rip

dbreiden83080
07-13-2010, 10:23 AM
RIP George

True legendary figure of the game..

TacoCabanaFajitas
07-13-2010, 11:00 AM
Not cool man, any man that places winning above $$$ in sports is a loss.

Trainwreck2100
07-13-2010, 11:43 AM
yankees are fucked cause hank is an idiot

Udokafan05
07-13-2010, 11:53 AM
RIP George. Great owner who turned a $10 million dollar purchase into $1.6 billion.

Trainwreck2100
07-13-2010, 11:55 AM
boo title change

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-13-2010, 11:57 AM
lol Edward pinked

Edward
07-13-2010, 11:58 AM
lol butthurt mmgay/Yankees fan complaining about the thread title

dbreiden83080
07-13-2010, 01:02 PM
lol butthurt mmgay/Yankees fan complaining about the thread title

i didn't say anything fuck-stick..

You can't even show respect to a man that had a heart attack and died..

Edward
07-13-2010, 01:08 PM
i didn't say anything fuck-stick..

You can't even show respect to a man that had a heart attack and died..

What do you want me to do? Put on some spandex and role around with his dead body?

lol mmgay

dbreiden83080
07-13-2010, 01:09 PM
What do you want me to do? Put on some spandex and role around with his dead body?

lol mmgay

How about RIP George Steinbrenner

Oh wait that got changed for you because you're a complete dip-shit..

dbreiden83080
07-13-2010, 01:12 PM
ESPN has a long well done article up going through the Steinbrenner years..

"One hundred years from now, when sports historians yet unborn convene to vote upon the most influential figures in the history of baseball, right there near the top of the list -- among the Black Sox and Babe Ruth, Jackie Robinson and Kenesaw Mountain Landis, Barry Bonds and Marvin Miller -- will be the Ohio shipping tycoon who descended on the game with the all-embracing warmth of the Hindenburg. And surely they will note, among George Steinbrenner's more memorable legacies, the solemn vow he made after he and his partners bought the New York Yankees from CBS for $8.7 million."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=nack_bill&id=3212872

Edward
07-13-2010, 01:17 PM
I got so butthurt you didn't write RIP Steinbrenner (:cry) I went to Kori to cry about it :cry:cry:cry:cry:cry

dbreiden83080
07-13-2010, 01:23 PM
ANAHEIM, Calif. -- The reporters would wait and wait, hoping to receive just one word from The Boss. He was older then, lacking the same bombast that trademarked his rise in the 1970s into arguably the most interesting owner in American sports.

But at the turn of the century, he was still George M. Steinbrenner III. So reporters waited for him outside the old Yankee Stadium.

In the tabloid world of New York sports, nothing sold better than a Steinbrenner roar. From calling Dave Winfield "Mr. May" to hiring and firing Billy Martin five times to apologizing for a lost World Series, Steinbrenner was unlike any other owner. His words were sharp, a message embedded in every syllable.

Even in the early part of the 2000s, he was a separate beat unto himself, so reporters stood for The Wait. It would be right outside the press gate at the old Yankee Stadium, where Steinbrenner's town car would park. Steinbrenner, with an elderly gait, would walk in as reporters would shout questions at him.

It was like a scene out of a movie, where reporters are presented as caricatures. But when you are covering someone as bombastic as Steinbrenner, the big quote was tabloid gold and the wait was worth it.

"George, George, what do you think of A-Rod's struggles?"

"George, George, what about the Yankees not hitting?"

"George, George, is Torre's job in jeopardy?"

Joe Torre, of course, had four championship rings when these questions were being asked. He was taking the Yankees to the playoffs every season, but if they were off to a slow start, there was no telling what Steinbrenner would say or do.

In an interview, Steinbrenner defined his priorities by saying, "Breathing first, winning next."

Even though he has now passed, Steinbrenner's imprint is still left on the Yankees. Just last week, with the best record in baseball and three All-Star starters, GM Brian Cashman nearly traded for one of the best pitchers in baseball, Cliff Lee.

There were questions about if the Yankees were fulfilling a "need." They were. It was the Steinbrenner "need" to win -- at any cost.

That is why reporters waited for him. He needed to win, and the back pages needed him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/newyork/mlb/news/story?id=5376415

Greg Oden
07-13-2010, 01:24 PM
spur/yankee fan is ironic as shit.

Edward
07-13-2010, 01:33 PM
lol Spurs/Yankees/mmgay fan

bostonguy
07-13-2010, 01:40 PM
It is sad that he died. I understand why people hated him as an owner. He had his flaws but I would kill to have that guy running my team. A competitive owner who is willing to spend to keep bringing titles.

Even with him gone, Yanks will still be fine. They have cash to spend, are in a major market, and have that rich tradition.

lefty
07-13-2010, 01:52 PM
He was good

He could take a small market team and turn it into a money making machine

Plus, he has donated $$$$$ to charities

dbreiden83080
07-13-2010, 01:58 PM
Plus, he has donated $$$$$ to charities

A ton of money to charity.. Something not many knew since he kept most of it pretty quiet..

JMarkJohns
07-13-2010, 02:00 PM
lol Cleveland, since his ownership group was rebuffed in their attempts to purchase the Indians before he turned his sights to the Yankees.

lefty
07-13-2010, 02:50 PM
lol Cleveland, since his ownership group was rebuffed in their attempts to purchase the Indians before he turned his sights to the Yankees.
Yep

And I believe he almost bought the Texas Rangers

Trainwreck2100
07-13-2010, 02:56 PM
A ton of money to charity.. Something not many knew since he kept most of it pretty quiet..

What? He did it for the kids? Well i guess he wasn't a superdipshit that held baseball back.

Spursfan092120
07-13-2010, 08:43 PM
RIP George.

Betsy
07-13-2010, 09:23 PM
RIP George

True legendary figure of the game..

I also say RIP butttttttttt he was not a legenary figure of the game because he did not play the game, he only had the money to buy a baseball team. He was the owner of my team I always wanted to win. YANKEES

dbreiden83080
07-14-2010, 12:59 AM
Well i guess he wasn't a superdipshit that held baseball back.

Held baseball back from what??

Greedy fuckin owners that pocketed his money in luxory tax??

A cap would change nothing in baseball

The top teams would spend to the limit and everyone else would still play it cheap..

All it would do is lower player salaries, something the union would never let happen..

symple19
07-14-2010, 01:28 PM
I'm glad he's dead

ducks
07-14-2010, 02:59 PM
yankees are fucked cause hank is an idiot

sad he is dead
but you are right
his sons are stupid

JamStone
07-14-2010, 05:29 PM
Sucks for his family and friends and for the Yankees organization.

I wouldn't necessarily say it's sad. When a man lives to 80 and had a lot of success and wealth, assuming his personal life wasn't horrible, I don't think it's sad except for those close to him, family and friends. Death isn't always a said thing. It's inevitable. A lot of people don't have the chance to live that type of life or live to be 80 years old.

And while people want to be nice in the wake of his passing, I don't think he was good for baseball. I think his mentality and approach to over-spending hurt baseball as much as it helped bring back the Yankees. He helped kill the small market teams. He helped kill fairness and parity. You can call him a visionary and a man who cared more about winning than anything else and those might be positive things about him. But everything he was about did not necessarily help the game of baseball. He also hurt baseball.

ducks
07-14-2010, 09:56 PM
should be a hard cap in baseball

dallaskd
07-14-2010, 11:31 PM
no disrespect, but why is it a must that we say "RIP" every time someone dies..

Veterinarian
07-15-2010, 12:58 AM

Why do you call yourself MMA King, when you're a twerpy little wigger who would get stomped by Macaulay Culkin?

Edward
07-15-2010, 06:16 AM

Well, the original title of the thread was "lol George Steinbrenner" but then your little spandex buddy who's a Spurs/Yankees/mmgay fan got really offended by me making fun of someone he's never met and never will meet (lol dead), so he complained to timvp and had the title changed.

Mel_13
07-15-2010, 06:17 AM
should be a hard cap in baseball

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2009/09/06/alg_score_david_wright.jpg

Edward
07-15-2010, 06:18 AM
btw if dallaskd is mmgay king does that make dbreiden the mmgay queen?

BlairForceDejuan
07-15-2010, 06:31 PM
His sons just saved an estimated $500 MILLION dollars in estate taxes because their father died in 2010 and not 2011.