PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Job Related

Soul_Patch
07-13-2010, 11:10 AM
I have been in my current job for about 3.5 years. Receive yearly raises, good benefits, getting a ton of time off now, etc.

I am always checking job sites and putting resume's out to test the waters, and recently got a call back from a job with Valero doing something similar to what i am doing now. I went through the phone interview and they said they would get back to me about a face to face, if i made the cut.

They called today for the face to face.

Now i'm faced with a decision. Do i really want to leave the absolute cush job that i have now? I work from home..make slightly under what i should make for the type of job i do, but have complete freedom. My management works across the country, i can pretty much come and go as i please, don't have to pay for child care since i work from home, don't have to deal with any office politics. Pretty much run my own show.

Bad sides are it is a contract type job, meaning we are contracted to the government to provide sustainment services for some medical IT systems. That means technically they could whack the project about once a year. Also it is completely un-challenging. Meaning, i feel like at this point, a trained monkey could do this job, definately isnt engaging at all.

Good sides to new place. Would potentially be about a 14k a year pay increase. I assume it would be more challenging, but dont know that for sure.

Bad sides to new job. Work daily at an actual office. Deal with potential shitty boss, or office politics...

What would you do? Am i stupid for even considering leaving my job now??

clambake
07-13-2010, 11:17 AM
they already discussed salary?

TDMVPDPOY
07-13-2010, 11:23 AM
use that as leverage with ur current employer

looks like ur employer is a govt, they can just easily replace you with another low paid intern who can do the job..

i had friends who did what u do, on 24hr round call live support for data base and tech support...lol

Soul_Patch
07-13-2010, 11:27 AM
they already discussed salary?

Not directly, but i told them i would need a certain number to even consider, and they said ok...

clambake
07-13-2010, 11:34 AM
why that number?

how many kids and what age?

maybe you should have waited on salary numbers until after you blew them away in the interview.

clambake
07-13-2010, 11:41 AM
ok, i'll leave you with this:

child care cost
fuel and vehicle maintenance
healthcare
lunch
time away from family
taxes on that increase
paid vacation

is it worth that?

Soul_Patch
07-13-2010, 11:42 AM
"That number" would give me a decent raise + pay for me having to put my son in daycare full time.

Most jobs wont commit to a salary until the job is offered to you. At least that's been my experience. They asked me what i was looking for, and i told them.

Still haven't had an answer to my question though. Would you leave a job like i have currently, for an unknown?

Soul_Patch
07-13-2010, 11:44 AM

child care cost
healthcare
lunch
time away from family
taxes on that increase
paid vacation

is it worth that?

This is good...and no, it probably isnt. I was all pumped at first, but now im kinda gun shy....

Id hate to quit such a good thing. Get there, and i have some tyrant type boss, shitty coworkers, and an overall stressful situation.

My job right now feels like too much of a good thing, and i always worry that cant last, so that's why i always look around to make sure im ready.

I'm also a big time pessimist though...sometimes can be neurotic about it.

The Reckoning
07-13-2010, 11:49 AM
you work at home

home

clambake
07-13-2010, 11:52 AM
i wasn't trying to bring you down.

it just seems like a huge risk and lifestyle change for very little in return.

double that increase would be more appropriate.

Soul_Patch
07-13-2010, 11:57 AM
i wasn't trying to bring you down.

it just seems like a huge risk and lifestyle change for very little in return.

double that increase would be more appropriate.

Not bringing me down, you make a good point. This is what my wife was saying too.

We just got news this week about our project potentially growing quite a bit in the next year so, chances are my roles may grow too.

I think i may call and let the lady at Valero down. Still going to mull it over for a day or two.

clambake
07-13-2010, 12:01 PM
Not bringing me down, you make a good point. This is what my wife was saying too.

We just got news this week about our project potentially growing quite a bit in the next year so, chances are my roles may grow too.

I think i may call and let the lady at Valero down. Still going to mull it over for a day or two.

listen....it never hurts to talk to potential employers.....unless they insist on talking to your current employer.

keep in mind that your current project growing could mean having to work from an office.

talk to the lady. keep your options open.

bigzak25
07-13-2010, 02:00 PM
I have been in my current job for about 3.5 years. Receive yearly raises, good benefits, getting a ton of time off now, etc.

I am always checking job sites and putting resume's out to test the waters, and recently got a call back from a job with Valero doing something similar to what i am doing now. I went through the phone interview and they said they would get back to me about a face to face, if i made the cut.

They called today for the face to face.

Now i'm faced with a decision. Do i really want to leave the absolute cush job that i have now? I work from home..make slightly under what i should make for the type of job i do, but have complete freedom. My management works across the country, i can pretty much come and go as i please, don't have to pay for child care since i work from home, don't have to deal with any office politics. Pretty much run my own show.

Bad sides are it is a contract type job, meaning we are contracted to the government to provide sustainment services for some medical IT systems. That means technically they could whack the project about once a year. Also it is completely un-challenging. Meaning, i feel like at this point, a trained monkey could do this job, definately isnt engaging at all.

Good sides to new place. Would potentially be about a 14k a year pay increase. I assume it would be more challenging, but dont know that for sure.

Bad sides to new job. Work daily at an actual office. Deal with potential shitty boss, or office politics...

What would you do? Am i stupid for even considering leaving my job now??

In my opinion, if you have a job that provides for your family which also allows you to be a stay at home Dad, then you are already set. If the work isn't challenging, that's okay, cuz it gives you more time to spend with your kiddo.

As long as the writing on the wall says your job should be around for a while, then no need to hurry and jump to the next rock. stick to your rock, as it seems very beneficial to you and your family at the present time.

Goodluck! :tu

Soul_Patch
07-13-2010, 02:03 PM
In my opinion, if you have a job that provides for your family which also allows you to be a stay at home Dad, then you are already set. If the work isn't challenging, that's okay, cuz it gives you more time to spend with your kiddo.

As long as the writing on the wall says your job should be around for a while, then no need to hurry and jump to the next rock. stick to your rock, as it seems very beneficial to you and your family at the present time.

Goodluck! :tu

thanks, very good points.

JoeChalupa
07-13-2010, 02:06 PM
I"m with Bigzaks on this one.

ashbeeigh
07-13-2010, 02:25 PM
Employment is always a risk. You win some you lose some. Taking the second interview doesn't always mean you're going to get the job. By the second round they've probably narrowed the field down, but that doesn't mean you have it either. Just think of it as good experience and some networking as well. You met more people in your field and if shit hits the fan with your cushy job you always have some people to contact.

Blake
07-13-2010, 02:55 PM

child care cost
healthcare
lunch
time away from family
taxes on that increase
paid vacation

is it worth that?

$14k * estimated 15% for tax etc = $2100

round up to $12k (being generous) = $1k net extra per month

cheap child daycare = $25 per day, $125 per week, = $500 a month.

Guess at $4 a day in gas: $20 per week, $80 per month

assuming healthcare costs will be the same, from what you have provided, to me it looks like you will be netting an extra $420 a month or $105 per week.

Unless you are desperate for the money, I'd say no.

Drachen
07-13-2010, 03:01 PM
$14k * estimated 15% for tax etc = $2100

round up to $12k (being generous) = $1k net extra per month

cheap child daycare = $25 per day, $125 per week, = $500 a month.

Guess at $4 a day in gas: $20 per week, $80 per month

assuming healthcare costs will be the same, from what you have provided, to me it looks like you will be netting an extra $420 a month or $105 per week.

Unless you are desperate for the money, I'd say no.

Daycare costs are tax deductible (up to 5k), plus (and maybe you know how old his kid is), 500 is a little high for anything outside of a 1 year old or so. However, I do agree that a) he should go to the second interview because what does it hurt? and B) unless it is an OUTSTANDING offer, then he should probably stay put.

Blake
07-13-2010, 03:21 PM
Daycare costs are tax deductible (up to 5k),

true.

everyone's different about it, but me personally, I would still feel the month to month hit, even though I know I would be getting some of it back at tax time.

plus (and maybe you know how old his kid is), 500 is a little high for anything outside of a 1 year old or so.

From what I've seen myself, the price depends on the side of town.

If he were to put the kid in daycare around the I-10 Valero area, even above the age of 1 up to 12, maybe others know differently, but I consistently see signs for $25 a day. He might find something for $400 a month......so give him an extra $25 a week I guess.

Drachen
07-13-2010, 04:07 PM
true.

everyone's different about it, but me personally, I would still feel the month to month hit, even though I know I would be getting some of it back at tax time.

From what I've seen myself, the price depends on the side of town.

If he were to put the kid in daycare around the I-10 Valero area, even above the age of 1 up to 12, maybe others know differently, but I consistently see signs for $25 a day. He might find something for $400 a month......so give him an extra $25 a week I guess.

I did say a "little" high (i.e. not REALLY high). I pay about 111 a week (including a 7% discount for paying by the month though) over near USAA. The price varies depending on age, for example, I am going to get a slight decrease because my daughter will turn 3 at the end of the month. Newborns are like 620 a month (just to give some perspective).

You are correct about the monthly hit (unless you adjust your exemptions), I have a Dependant care account though, so I never see the money and am reimbursed by the account so it is almost the opposite (it feels like I get extra money).

Soul_Patch
07-13-2010, 04:15 PM
I think im most likely going to go to the second interview, if for nothing else, to hone my interviewing skills, that can never hurt.

I cant recall what we paid for daycare in the past, but i think i figured it out with the ammount of raise - cost of full time daycare to equal abotu to about a 800ish a month raise. Nothing to sneeze at, but id be giving up alot for it. That is not factoring in gas, lunches, etc...

I do like the fact that i can finally go into a job interview and not be desperate. I can sort of set the pace, so to speak. Will be a different experience im sure.

For instance on the call today, she asked me to bring some examples of my "programming reports". Nothing in the job description, or the initial interview mentioned any programming...I told her, sorry i dont know what a programming report is....she didnt know either...haha..

So i said, ok, how about i bring you some exaples of my current work, and you can take from it what you will...where as, if i was desperate and unemployed id say, "programming reports, sure thing!" and then scramble to figure out wtf they were talking about later.

leemajors
07-13-2010, 04:16 PM
Daycare costs are tax deductible (up to 5k), plus (and maybe you know how old his kid is), 500 is a little high for anything outside of a 1 year old or so. However, I do agree that a) he should go to the second interview because what does it hurt? and B) unless it is an OUTSTANDING offer, then he should probably stay put.

Do you have children? $500 a month for 2-3 days a week (at a place that doesn't stink of piss and shit) is a steal. Guess San Antonio is different.

Blake
07-13-2010, 04:19 PM
I have a Dependant care account though, so I never see the money and am reimbursed by the account so it is almost the opposite (it feels like I get extra money).

good thing to know for future reference. :tu

luckily my daughter has grandma pick her up after school.

clambake
07-13-2010, 04:31 PM
I think im most likely going to go to the second interview, if for nothing else, to hone my interviewing skills, that can never hurt.

I cant recall what we paid for daycare in the past, but i think i figured it out with the ammount of raise - cost of full time daycare to equal abotu to about a 800ish a month raise. Nothing to sneeze at, but id be giving up alot for it. That is not factoring in gas, lunches, etc...

I do like the fact that i can finally go into a job interview and not be desperate. I can sort of set the pace, so to speak. Will be a different experience im sure.

For instance on the call today, she asked me to bring some examples of my "programming reports". Nothing in the job description, or the initial interview mentioned any programming...I told her, sorry i dont know what a programming report is....she didnt know either...haha..

So i said, ok, how about i bring you some exaples of my current work, and you can take from it what you will...where as, if i was desperate and unemployed id say, "programming reports, sure thing!" and then scramble to figure out wtf they were talking about later.

yeah, just bring her some print out and put an A- on it with red pen.

A-....cuz you don't want to be too cocky!

Soul_Patch
07-13-2010, 04:59 PM
yeah, just bring her some print out and put an A- on it with red pen.

A-....cuz you don't want to be too cocky!

lol.... :hat

Drachen
07-13-2010, 05:24 PM
Do you have children? $500 a month for 2-3 days a week (at a place that doesn't stink of piss and shit) is a steal. Guess San Antonio is different.

Yes, I have a daughter, almost 3. This place has 3 playgrounds (so the big kids aren't pushing the smaller kids around), a pool (for kids 3 and up with free swim lessons), Other "pay" activities (like a ballet school comes and does lessons for $60 for a two month class), a set and scheduled lesson plan, and a 1 teacher to 7 (or 8, cant remember)kid ratio. I feel like I hit the jackpot, because she was in a daycare which cost about $120 more which had none of those things (other than one playground).

clambake
07-15-2010, 11:45 AM
well?

Soul_Patch
07-15-2010, 02:07 PM
I decided not to go for a couple of reasons.

1. I realized that work reimbursed me for some education expenses last year, that if i left now, i would have to pay back 100%

2. I took a small 401k loan last year to pay off one of my wife's high interest credit cards. if i left now, i would owe back the balance immediately.

Both wouldn't be that big of a deal, but it was enough to send me to the...wtf am i thinking this isn't worth it, category.

bigzak25
07-15-2010, 05:17 PM
Well done Soul Patch!

I just cashed out my 401K...I'm reeeech beeech! j/k :lol

tsb2000
07-15-2010, 05:38 PM
if you'll need full time day care for your child, the new job's offer goes down about $10k. I used to have a job where my boss lived in a different part of the country. I quit that job for what I thought was better money. Turns out money isn't everything- it isn't even close. I left the new job after 5 weeks and have been trying to get a job like the old one ever since.

Schedule autonomy and nobody over your shoulder is about priceless, IMO. My advice? Stay where you are. :)