PDA

View Full Version : Dallas gets Tyson Chandler

Shifty
07-13-2010, 01:44 PM
Woj is reporting via twitter that league sources say the Mavs have acquired Tyson Chandler and Alex Ajinca from Charlotte while sending Dampier, Carrolla and Najera.

I haven't seen Chandler play since the 08 series against the Spurs but if he is healthy this is a great deal for the Mavs. If he is not healthy then is still a good thing basically trading Chandler for Dampier.

DesignatedT
07-13-2010, 01:46 PM
:lmao al jefferson to tyson chandler

jimo2305
07-13-2010, 01:47 PM
aww they got rid of ericka? :(

CubanMustGo
07-13-2010, 01:48 PM
They unloaded a boatload of crap, that's for sure. The only team Najera ever plays well against is us.

Bruno
07-13-2010, 02:11 PM
So all the buzz around Dampier's contract was just for that?

It remains me Portland and Raef LaFrentz.

Dr. Gonzo
07-13-2010, 02:13 PM
Apparently Damp is going to get cut.

spursfan1000
07-13-2010, 02:18 PM
Chandler is injury prone, it's crazy they went from AL jeff to Chandler :lmao

Zelophehad
07-13-2010, 02:23 PM
My franchise=

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

Bruno
07-13-2010, 02:24 PM
The idea for Mavs would be to get some capspace in 2011 but I don't really see how it could works. Mavs should have made the trade for Jefferson.

rayray2k8
07-13-2010, 02:26 PM
So wait, the mavs get chandler and 'cats cut dampier with the possibility of him going back? Doesn't sound that bad of a deal.

lurker23
07-13-2010, 02:26 PM
The idea for Mavs would be to get some capspace in 2011 but I don't really see how it could works. Mavs should have made the trade for Jefferson.

Mavs got outbid for Jefferson by the Jazz. I have a feeling they didn't want to give up 2 first rounders.

HarlemHeat37
07-13-2010, 02:27 PM
Damn, what a sad move for Dallas, considering the other options and possibilities for the DUST chip..

A deal for Al Jefferson would have gave them a legit chance to battle LA in a 7 game series..instead, they get a guy that gives them what Haywood already gives them, except he gets hurt every other game..

I guess they must be confident in getting somebody in free agency in the next few off-seasons..

BadOne
07-13-2010, 02:27 PM
Chandler could fare well with JKidd. When he had CP3, he was a good player. But yes...if he can't shake the injury bug, then its a wash.

Cane
07-13-2010, 02:28 PM
Imo they're either getting ready for more trades this summer, some kind of huge trade in February, or they'll let it expire and try to grab another premier FA.....wonder if they'll try to go after Tony Parker, that'd be a nightmare :lol

Texas_Ranger
07-13-2010, 02:37 PM
Tyson Chandler without Paul is a bad player.

K-State Spur
07-13-2010, 02:41 PM
Imo they're either getting ready for more trades this summer, some kind of huge trade in February, or they'll let it expire and try to grab another premier FA.....wonder if they'll try to go after Tony Parker, that'd be a nightmare :lol

That was the big chip for a huge trade. Chandler is still an expiring - but nowhere near as attractive to other teams because its guaranteed.

They might get Al Harrington, but it would appear that Chandler was their big play.

MavDynasty
07-13-2010, 03:20 PM
Passing on Al Jefferson to get Tyson muthafuckin Chandler is pathetic and a very stupid dumbass move. I guess the plus to this trade is 29 mill in expiring but Dirks prime is running out...

sa_butta
07-13-2010, 03:23 PM
I have to agree with you there....
I think he was better with the hornets than with the Bulls.
Didnt he get injured alot too??

ChumpDumper
07-13-2010, 03:23 PM
If Damp goes back to Dallas, Ian is going to be buried on the bench forever -- but I guess some other team will pay him.

toki9
07-13-2010, 03:24 PM
So the Mavs now have Haywood, Chandler, Dampier (I assume he'll go back to Dallas after getting cut?) and Mahinmi at the 5?

TJastal
Passing on Al Jefferson to get Tyson muthafuckin Chandler is pathetic and a very stupid dumbass move. I guess the plus to this trade is 29 mill in expiring but Dirks prime is running out...

Chandler is alot better than your giving him credit for. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised once you see him in action. Much better than Dampier and even better than Haywood, IMO.

crc21209
:lol At going from Al Jefferson to Tyson Chandler...

SenorSpur
07-13-2010, 03:25 PM
Damn, what a sad move for Dallas, considering the other options and possibilities for the DUST chip..

A deal for Al Jefferson would have gave them a legit chance to battle LA in a 7 game series..instead, they get a guy that gives them what Haywood already gives them, except he gets hurt every other game..

I guess they must be confident in getting somebody in free agency in the next few off-seasons..

After Utah "swooped in" on the Jefferson deal, the Mavs brass started getting antsy knowing that the "Erick Dampier" trade chip has an expiration date. It seems they were holding that chip for, as they described, a "Pau Gasol"-type trade. With possibilities of such a deal dwindling, they used it on Tyson Chandler.

However, this trade allowed them to ship out a couple of "bad" contracts (Matt Carroll & Eduardo Najera), thereby allowing Cuban some nominal luxury tax savings.

dbestpro
07-13-2010, 03:28 PM
I smell discontent brewing in Dallas. Chandler nor Haywood will be happy coming off the bench. Both are rhythm bigs that need floor time to get into the flow of the game.

Spurs Brazil
07-13-2010, 03:30 PM
So, Ian chances of getting playing time are better now since Chandler plays only 20-25 games if that. He always injured

Texas_Ranger
07-13-2010, 03:31 PM
I have to agree with you there....
I think he was better with the hornets than with the Bulls.
Didnt he get injured alot too??

Yea he was a better player with the Hornets. Paul made him a really good player and Chandler had made a lot of alley oops and easy buckets cause of him. 3 years ago he even averaged 12 point and 12 rebounds. But in the last two seasons he played just 96 games in the regular season cause of injuries.

Obstructed_View
07-13-2010, 03:32 PM
If Damp goes back to Dallas, Ian is going to be buried on the bench forever -- but I guess some other team will pay him.

Yeah I'm sure Ian's thinking the same thing. If Damp goes back to Dallas, what are the chances of the NBA closing that loophole for good? Has anyone manipulated that rule more brazenly than Dallas has?

EricB
07-13-2010, 03:32 PM
:lol Tyson Chandler

MaNu4Tres
07-13-2010, 03:34 PM
Not sure where Mahinmi fits now in Dallas.

Spurminator
07-13-2010, 03:34 PM
You can say Chandler is not as good as adding Jefferson, but this is no doubt a net gain for the Mavs, and they were already looking pretty strong coming into the season.

coyotes_geek
07-13-2010, 03:36 PM
So, Ian chances of getting playing time are better now since Chandler plays only 20-25 games if that. He always injured

Actually Ian's chances get much worse. In addition to Chandler, the mavs also got another center in Alexis Ajinca who has up to 3 years left on his rookie scale contract.

If Ian hasn't already signed a contract, his offer from the mavs very well could get yanked all together.

toki9
07-13-2010, 03:38 PM
Actually Ian's chances get much worse. In addition to Chandler, the mavs also got another center in Alexis Ajinca who has up to 3 years left on his rookie scale contract.

If Ian hasn't already signed a contract, his offer from the mavs very well could get yanked all together.

That's crazy. Is Dallas pulling a Kahn at the 5? They got Haywood, Chandler, Dampier, Ajinca, Mahinmi?

EricB
07-13-2010, 03:38 PM
You can say Chandler is not as good as adding Jefferson, but this is no doubt a net gain for the Mavs, and they were already looking pretty strong coming into the season.

Adding a center that never plays and is horrible on offense !?!

SenorSpur
07-13-2010, 03:42 PM

Ajinca is more of a slim-jim than Ian is. I don't believe he's even 230 lbs. At best, Ian is the 3rd center, which means he'll probably be in street clothes - again. Carlisle is not unlike most coaches - he favors veterans over rookies and unproven players. Unless Ian has a bangup summer league and busts some serious ass in training camp, I wouldn't expect Ian to get any more time with the Mavs than he did with the Spurs.

coyotes_geek
07-13-2010, 03:54 PM
Ajinca is more of a slim-jim than Ian is. I don't believe he's even 230 lbs. At best, Ian is the 3rd center, which means he'll probably be in street clothes - again. Carlisle is not unlike most coaches - he favors veterans over rookies and unproven players. Unless Ian has a bangup summer league and busts some serious ass in training camp, I wouldn't expect Ian to get any more time with the Mavs than he did with the Spurs.

Ian's fate depends on whether Ajinca was included in the deal just as roster fodder to make salaries match, or whether he was included in the deal because Dallas has some interest in him as a player. If it's the latter, then there's really no reason for the mavs to have Ian on their roster.

Spurminator
07-13-2010, 04:09 PM
Adding a center that never plays and is horrible on offense !?!

They don't need him on offense except as a garbage man.

We'll see about his health. But they still have Haywood, so if Chandler works out that's a pretty good duo at the 5.

tuncaboylu
07-13-2010, 04:15 PM
I watched Ajnca on summer league and that guy seems like a beast, his body improved a lot. He can be the x-factor of this meaningless trade next year(in 2011-2012 season).

alchemist
07-13-2010, 04:16 PM
Don't the Mavs have some guy named Jason Kidd? I expect those alley-oops Chris Paul would get him to be back now.

BlairForceDejuan
07-13-2010, 04:18 PM
Seriously. Kidd can get 20 alley-oops a game w/ Tyson just as Paul did.

Cane
07-13-2010, 04:21 PM
Don't the Mavs have some guy named Jason Kidd? I expect those alley-oops Chris Paul would get him to be back now.

I can see that happening if they put Kidd on the bench which I think he said he's willing to do. Otherwise if Kidd is starting he's going to be feeding the long term deal center, Haywood.

ChumpDumper
07-13-2010, 04:21 PM
I watched Ajnca on summer league and that guy seems like a beast, his body improved a lot. He can be the x-factor of this meaningless trade next year(in 2011-2012 season).He's a better blocker than Ian but much worse on offense from what I remember. I can see those two fighting for minutes, but Bruno would know more.

alchemist
07-13-2010, 04:33 PM
I can see that happening if they put Kidd on the bench which I think he said he's willing to do. Otherwise if Kidd is starting he's going to be feeding the long term deal center, Haywood.
Who knows, I see Tyson getting used a bit more than just a 2nd big off the bench....hopefully for our teams sake they don't make much use of him.

Bruno
07-13-2010, 04:39 PM
Ajinça has tons of upside but he is still very raw and hasn't the best attitude. Last summer, French NT coach decided to pick Ian over him.

And even if Ian beat out Ajinça, what happens in Dallas isn't a good news for him. At the 5, he shouldn't get a lot of minutes behind Haywood and Chandler. At the 4, Mavs should go with Dirk and Al Harrington or Marion backing him up. It doesn't look good for Ian. It sucks that he hasn't been able to find a better situation.

BTW, I don't have a clue what Mavs are doing. I thought that they do this trade to create some cap-space in 2011 but they decided to eat it by trying to sign Harrington to a MLE multiyear deal. I don't get it.

ChumpDumper
07-13-2010, 04:41 PM
Ian should have signed with the Wolves.

dbestpro
07-13-2010, 04:43 PM
BTW, I don't have a clue what Mavs are doing. I thought that they do this trade to create some cap-space in 2011 but they decided to eat it by trying to sign Harrington to a MLE multiyear deal. I don't get it.

That is because you are thinking like a Spur. You have to think like a Mav. You need to drink a gallon of bourban and spin around five times and the trade will begin to make sense.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-13-2010, 04:46 PM
Ian should have signed with the Wolves.

:tu

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-13-2010, 04:46 PM
And Ian > Ajinca.

Stamm32089
07-13-2010, 05:20 PM
Mavs got outbid for Jefferson by the Jazz. I have a feeling they didn't want to give up 2 first rounders.

Exactly. What's the point in giving up Damp's contract, 2 first round picks and possibly Roddy for Al Jefferson? The price was just way too high.

BTW, I don't know if this has already been mentioned, but the Mavs also just got a $6.8 million traded player exception. We basically now have 2 MLE's to work with which will help out a lot more than you think.

Stamm32089
07-13-2010, 05:23 PM
That's crazy. Is Dallas pulling a Kahn at the 5? They got Haywood, Chandler, Dampier, Ajinca, Mahinmi?

Ummmm we just traded Damp and I doubt Ajinca makes the team.

TD 21
07-13-2010, 05:34 PM
Mahinmi is not going to play once again. Haywood/Chandler will platoon at C, Nowitzki will play most of the minutes at PF and if they sign Harrington, he'll get the leftovers. Even if they don't, I'm sure they'll pursue another PF and Marion can play some there as well. Mahinmi is going to be the fifth big and Ajinca the sixth big (inactive).

Funny, the Mavs fan Stein has been building up Dampier's contract for over a year I believe, acting like it was some major trump card that would land the Mavs a legit second star and vault them onto near equal terms with the Lakers. So much for that.

I get it, they now have three seven-footers to match-up with the Lakers. Too bad they're probably not going to get a chance to face them, though. They're still not good enough, still too flawed at the core to be serious contenders.

Once again, Cuban is repeating the same mistakes of the past. Loading up on overpaid role players, stacking them one on top of the other and hoping that it covers up for the glaring deficiencies on his team, all while overlooking important things, such as chemistry, role definition, etc. This guy treats reality like it's a video game.

DPG21920
07-13-2010, 05:35 PM
I can see Damp going to the Heat.

DPG21920
07-13-2010, 05:37 PM
Also, I don't think this was a move for 2011, although that is an option. I think they made this move to buy themselves more time for a better player they like to shake loose at the trade deadline. They received a lot of expiring contracts and will probably try to use that at the deadline.

SpurCharger
07-13-2010, 05:45 PM
I think If Chandler Stays Healthy, This Will Be A Huge Pick Up For the Mavs.... Al Jefferson is definately A Better Offensive Player.... But Chandler Is By Far the better Defender and rebounder of the 2..... I think dallas Has Enough guys who can Score.... I gotta say this is a Good pickup by the mavs..... I hate to give them credit.... but good pick up Mavs..... Oh And By The Way.... Splitter>Chandler

Muser
07-13-2010, 05:52 PM

You can say this about every below average 5, but I agree that would be a good deal for both him and Miami.

Danny.Zhu
07-13-2010, 08:53 PM
Mavs just wanted to do a favor for Miami...

tmtcsc
07-13-2010, 09:10 PM
Why is Ian even mentioned in here anymore ? He never played to his potential, was injury prone and flat out sucked. He couldn't stay on the court because when he wasn't injured he was fouling someone.

I wished it had worked out too but it didn't and now he's going to be some other teams project.

Done.

Thompson
07-13-2010, 09:30 PM

Exactly, I would laugh my butt off if that happened. It'd be hilarious if he takes Cuban's millions and heads to the Miami Heat.

ChuckD
07-13-2010, 09:34 PM
Ummmm we just traded Damp and I doubt Ajinca makes the team.

I think the supposition is that Damp returns, as Dallas trade pieces often do, and Ajinca is on a guaranteed 1st round rookie contract, so he's probably going to make the team.

Findog
07-13-2010, 11:09 PM
Damp isn't coming back. There aren't going to be any minutes available for him.

mavsfan1000
06-16-2011, 11:59 PM
:lmao al jefferson to tyson chandler
bump

DirkDoesWork
06-17-2011, 12:01 AM
Great bump, tbh

Leetonidas
06-17-2011, 12:10 AM
lol even mavfan was mad about this at first

Findog
06-17-2011, 12:30 AM
This is an epic, epic thread.

Findog
06-17-2011, 12:30 AM
Some of the Spurs fans called it as a great pickup for us. Props to them. I was skeptical about Chandler because of how injury-prone he was.

History will show that it was a huge blessing in disguise for us to miss out on Al Jefferson.

mavsfan1000
06-17-2011, 12:32 AM
Some of the Spurs fans called it as a great pickup for us. Props to them. I was skeptical about Chandler because of how injury-prone he was.

History will show that it was a huge blessing in disguise for us to miss out on Al Jefferson.
It was a risk willing to take. Unless he has a chronic injury like Peja, you can never count out the possibility of him getting healthy. Chandler healthy=NBA F:lolcked

endrity
06-17-2011, 11:10 AM
A lot of fail for Mavkrew here. I'll take it anytime though if it means more titles.

Cuppycake Gumdrop
06-17-2011, 11:25 AM
I think If Chandler Stays Healthy, This Will Be A Huge Pick Up For the Mavs.... Al Jefferson is definately A Better Offensive Player.... But Chandler Is By Far the better Defender and rebounder of the 2..... I think dallas Has Enough guys who can Score.... I gotta say this is a Good pickup by the mavs..... I hate to give them credit....but good pick up Mavs.....

I gotta say, this started off as a surprisingly solid take from a GNSF........

Oh And By The Way.... Splitter>Chandler

.........and then that happened.

SenorSpur
06-17-2011, 11:33 AM
I think If Chandler Stays Healthy, This Will Be A Huge Pick Up For the Mavs.... Al Jefferson is definately A Better Offensive Player.... But Chandler Is By Far the better Defender and rebounder of the 2..... I think dallas Has Enough guys who can Score.... I gotta say this is a Good pickup by the mavs..... I hate to give them credit.... but good pick up Mavs..... Oh And By The Way.... Splitter>Chandler

Prophetic even.

THIS was the move that changed both the mindset and the fortunes of the Dallas Mavericks. This guy became an instant lockerroom leader, defensive presence and soul of the Mavs. He was exactly what they needed.

TJastal
06-17-2011, 11:34 AM

Epic fail

Ghazi
06-17-2011, 03:13 PM
Mahinmi is not going to play once again. Haywood/Chandler will platoon at C, Nowitzki will play most of the minutes at PF and if they sign Harrington, he'll get the leftovers. Even if they don't, I'm sure they'll pursue another PF and Marion can play some there as well. Mahinmi is going to be the fifth big and Ajinca the sixth big (inactive).

Funny, the Mavs fan Stein has been building up Dampier's contract for over a year I believe, acting like it was some major trump card that would land the Mavs a legit second star and vault them onto near equal terms with the Lakers. So much for that.

I get it, they now have three seven-footers to match-up with the Lakers. Too bad they're probably not going to get a chance to face them, though. They're still not good enough, still too flawed at the core to be serious contenders.

Once again, Cuban is repeating the same mistakes of the past. Loading up on overpaid role players, stacking them one on top of the other and hoping that it covers up for the glaring deficiencies on his team, all while overlooking important things, such as chemistry, role definition, etc. This guy treats reality like it's a video game.

:lol :lol :lol

DesignatedT
06-17-2011, 03:21 PM
4 rings faggots.

lefty
06-17-2011, 03:37 PM
Also, I don't think this was a move for 2011, although that is an option. I think they made this move to buy themselves more time for a better player they like to shake loose at the trade deadline. They received a lot of expiring contracts and will probably try to use that at the deadline.

:lol

I think If Chandler Stays Healthy, This Will Be A Huge Pick Up For the Mavs.... Al Jefferson is definately A Better Offensive Player.... But Chandler Is By Far the better Defender and rebounder of the 2..... I think dallas Has Enough guys who can Score.... I gotta say this is a Good pickup by the mavs..... I hate to give them credit.... but good pick up Mavs.....
:tu

Mavs just wanted to do a favor for Miami...

Exactly, I would laugh my butt off if that happened. It'd be hilarious if he takes Cuban's millions and heads to the Miami Heat.

ElNono
06-17-2011, 04:10 PM
ElNono surprisingly absent from this thread...

Greg Oden
06-17-2011, 04:15 PM
One of the biggest cases of _____ wrong about X in ST history, tbh.

Blake
06-17-2011, 04:44 PM
I gotta say, this started off as a surprisingly solid take from a GNSF........

.........and then that happened.

:lmao