PDA

View Full Version : Mavs offering Al Harrington MLE?

stretch
07-13-2010, 02:36 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba/news/story?id=5377055

4th paragraph

that would be nice.

Trainwreck2100
07-13-2010, 02:37 PM
he made his shoes FOR US

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-13-2010, 02:38 PM
chadfordinsider RT @STEIN_LINE_HQ Mavs now trying to sign Al Harrington w/mid-level exception. Harrington, not Shaquille O'Neal, is their No. 1 MLE target

spursfan1000
LOL, things just keep getting worse for the Mavericks.

Zelophehad
Great another jumpshooter who can't score in the paint or create shots for others!! He'll fit right in!!

stretch
07-13-2010, 02:40 PM
Harrington wouldn't be bad to have starting at SF. He can definitely score, which is what the Mavs now need, since they are pretty stacked with interior defense between Haywood and Chandler. Makes sense, because they have very average perimeter defenders, so this way Kidd/Terry doesnt have to spend so much time giving help defense and can sit at home on shooters, and just let Haywood/Chandler take care of the mess.

MavDynasty
07-13-2010, 02:41 PM
Harrington wouldn't be bad to have starting at SF. He can definitely score, which is what the Mavs now need, since they are pretty stacked with interior defense between Haywood and Chandler. Makes sense, because they have very average perimeter defenders, so this way Kidd/Terry doesnt have to spend so much time giving help defense and can sit at home on shooters, and just let Haywood/Chandler take care of the mess.

So you want Butler to start at the 2?

I've heard he is losing weight and working on his outside shooting that way he can play the 2

Zelophehad
07-13-2010, 02:42 PM
Harrington hasn't been able to guard small forwards since his Indiana days.

Trainwreck2100
07-13-2010, 02:45 PM
tLxW3Y1DqI8

Amarelooms
07-13-2010, 02:46 PM
Good move....nice to see the Mavs trying to DO SOMETHING

:elephant

picc84
07-13-2010, 02:53 PM
I like it. Another non-impact player for the Mavs. This summer is going smoother than expected as far as western 'competition'.

dirk4mvp
07-13-2010, 02:54 PM
Harrington wouldn't be bad to have starting at SF.

Except we have Butler.

stretch
07-13-2010, 02:58 PM
So you want Butler to start at the 2?

I've heard he is losing weight and working on his outside shooting that way he can play the 2

just depending on what the mavs decide to do. if they start roddy, obviously Butler goes to 3. but if they decide to not start Roddy, i would rather Butler start at 2, and Harrington start at 3. either way, they would have a guy who can score either at the 3 or 4, and is especially valuable as a backup 4, for when Dirk goes out of the game, they dont lose out nearly as much on the scoring

ElNono
07-13-2010, 02:59 PM
lol more SF...

MavDynasty
07-13-2010, 03:05 PM
tbh i would rather him come off as 6th man because Marions man defense is underrated and harrington cant guard 3's anymore

plus if marion starts to bitch at the beginning of the season its over

JamStone
07-13-2010, 03:05 PM
WTH??

Don't the Mavs know they need a shooting guard? They keep adding centers and forwards.

stretch
07-13-2010, 03:11 PM
tbh i would rather him come off as 6th man because Marions man defense is underrated and harrington cant guard 3's anymore

plus if marion starts to bitch at the beginning of the season its over

Harrington could be a really nice 6th man.

Now they just need to get another SG with some size. I really wish they could get Raja Bell, as he would give them a defender with size, and a deadly 3pt shooter. He would be PERFECT for the starting lineup, to provide a mix of spacing and defense.

Kidd
Bell
Butler
Dirk
Haywood

2nd team

Beaubois
Terry
Marion
Harrington
Chandler

thats a very solid 10-man rotation, as they would have interior defense, perimeter defense, and scoring all balanced through each unit. Then for injury depth, you got Barea (guard), Stevenson (forward), and Mahimini (center).

Not bad at all.

Amarelooms
07-13-2010, 03:16 PM
son we can't add bell...Harrington is the full MLE. If he accepts only way to make changes is via trade

da_suns_fan
07-13-2010, 03:20 PM
Why does Cuban always go for the guys who were good five years ago?

stretch
07-13-2010, 03:21 PM
son we can't add bell...Harrington is the full MLE. If he accepts only way to make changes is via trade

i doubt anyone gives Bell a full MLE. I believe the Mave have a BAE to offer though, so its possible to get him that way, depending on what other teams offer him.

clambake

cuz he can only see the past.

MavDynasty

:bang

stretch
07-13-2010, 03:23 PM

Harrington averaged 18 and 5 last year. I think that still qualifies as pretty good, and it was the 3rd best scoring average of his career. And if you look up his stats averaged per 36 minutes, it was his best scoring average of his career.

Edward
07-13-2010, 03:24 PM
Harrington averaged 18 and 5 last year. I think that still qualifies as pretty good, and it was the 3rd best scoring average of his career. And if you look up his stats averaged per 36 minutes, it was his best scoring average of his career.

lol getting tricked by Dumbtoni's gimmick offense

I-Ball
07-13-2010, 03:25 PM

donnie nelson as mavs gm is marc cubans main advisor with his basketball knowledge coming from youtube highlight videos :bang

stretch
07-13-2010, 03:28 PM
lol getting tricked by Dumbtoni's gimmick offense

No, I understand he was in an uptempo offense with more shots available. Not saying he will average big numbers. But he's not going to be relied upon to be a 1st, 2nd, or even 3rd option, and would probably only be a situational starter, not regularly. He's likely going to be a backup who is to provide scoring relief when Dirk is out. Perfect role for him.

Edward
07-13-2010, 03:29 PM
No, I understand he was in an uptempo offense with more shots available. Not saying he will average big numbers. But he's not going to be relied upon to be a 1st, 2nd, or even 3rd option, and would probably only be a situational starter, not regularly. He's likely going to be a backup who is to provide scoring relief when Dirk is out. Perfect role for him.

A year ago you guys said the same thing about how Marion will play better since he won't be relied on as much. The fact is players like Marion and Harrington take retarded shots no matter how much they're relied on.

da_suns_fan
07-13-2010, 03:30 PM
donnie nelson as mavs gm is marc cubans main advisor with his basketball knowledge coming from youtube highlight videos :bang

Could be worse. At least Hedo Turkoglu isnt your starting PF.

And at least you didnt just sign Josh Childress to a five year deal for over 30 million.

Our new GM/Childress' agent negotiated that one himself.

Edward
07-13-2010, 03:31 PM
Our new GM/Childress' agent negotiated that one himself.

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao Oh god I didn't realize that. I figured he had to get a new agent.

Man About Town
07-13-2010, 03:32 PM
I don't mind Harrington for the bench.

badfish22
07-13-2010, 03:47 PM
WTH??

Don't the Mavs know they need a shooting guard? They keep adding centers and forwards.

crc21209
07-13-2010, 03:48 PM
Just another guy to take shots away from Dirk...:tu

stretch
07-13-2010, 03:58 PM
A year ago you guys said the same thing about how Marion will play better since he won't be relied on as much. The fact is players like Marion and Harrington take retarded shots no matter how much they're relied on.

Marion did a pretty nice job IMO. He wasn't a great scorer, but no one should have expected him to be. He didn't really take a lot of bad shots as you suggest. He mostly played defense, rebounded, and just let the open shots come to him. I was pretty pleased overall with Marion, more than other Mavs fans, because many of them expected him to be scoring more, something I didn't because he's never been great at creating his own offense. Although he has clearly been working on a post game, and at times, was able to get some easy buckets with some nice spin moves and a baby hook.

He was efficent, and typically wasn't ever a burden on the Mavs. Just from time to time he would miss some chippies, but it wasn't too bad.

stretch
07-13-2010, 04:00 PM
Just another guy to take shots away from Dirk...:tu

Not if he's a backup for Dirk. :rolleyes

Edward
07-13-2010, 04:01 PM
He shot 40% in the playoffs.

stretch
07-13-2010, 04:04 PM
He shot 40% in the playoffs.

Neat. But like I said, the Mavs aren't relying on him to score. They rely on him for defense and rebounding. Any scoring from him is just a bonus. And the majority of the team didn't shoot well in the playoffs. It was pretty clear that the rotation was in shambles as Carlisle couldnt figure out the minute distribution, as well as a lack of chemistry with the new players. That will likely improve this year.

Edward
07-13-2010, 04:06 PM
Neat. But like I said, the Mavs aren't relying on him to score. They rely on him for defense and rebounding. Any scoring from him is just a bonus. And the majority of the team didn't shoot well in the playoffs. It was pretty clear that the rotation was in shambles as Carlisle couldnt figure out the minute distribution, as well as a lack of chemistry with the new players. That will likely improve this year.

That didn't stop him from taking retarded shots at key times in the playoffs, exactly what I said he'd do.

Zelophehad
just depending on what the mavs decide to do. if they start roddy, obviously Butler goes to 3. but if they decide to not start Roddy, i would rather Butler start at 2, and Harrington start at 3. either way, they would have a guy who can score either at the 3 or 4, and is especially valuable as a backup 4, for when Dirk goes out of the game, they dont lose out nearly as much on the scoring
Dude, Harrington hasn't been able to guard 3s since his Indiana days. This is such old news, John Hollinger has even heard about it. Where you been?

MavDynasty
That hookshot of his is annoying though, you never know if its going to go in or out. Marion is such an awkward player. His shot, his post moves, everything. Not to mention the way he looks...

HarlemHeat37
07-13-2010, 04:27 PM
Harrington would be a solid addition if he's coming off the bench..he would be perfect in a Jamal Crawford role, as long as Carlisle keeps him on a leash..

He's a huge chucker, so coming off the bench would be fine..he's a very versatile scorer, he has a good inside-outside combination, he can go off for 30 at any time..he won't be able to play with Dirk very much IMO, but he's a great option when the Mavs need an offensive spark..

Findog
07-13-2010, 04:31 PM
There's nothing wrong with Harrington on a second unit.

Zelophehad
07-13-2010, 04:39 PM
There's nothing wrong with Harrington on a second unit.
He's a selfish chucker, imo the last thing we need is another ballstopper. I know D'Antoni has his detractors, but he had constant runins with Harrington about his shot selection.

HarlemHeat37
07-13-2010, 04:43 PM
Harrington doesn't fit in well with coaches like D'Antoni and Don Nelson, they give him too much freedom and their systems have no discipline whatsoever, which is why he's gotten into run-ins with them..

Rick Carlisle isn't a good coach, but at least he puts a leash on players..

Findog
07-13-2010, 04:47 PM
Harrington doesn't fit in well with coaches like D'Antoni and Don Nelson, they give him too much freedom and their systems have no discipline whatsoever, which is why he's gotten into run-ins with them..

Rick Carlisle isn't a good coach, but at least he puts a leash on players..

He coached him in Indiana, no?

BUMP
07-13-2010, 04:49 PM
I like the addition. We have a pretty solid team for next year

HarlemHeat37
07-13-2010, 04:51 PM
He coached him in Indiana, no?

I guess so, I forgot about that..

I would say that's good then..Harrington wasn't a problem on those Indiana teams in the playoffs, and they were a disciplined defensive team..he's better than he was at that time too..

I'm not a fan of his at all, but I think he would be a good addition to the Mavs..a lot of my die-hard Knicks friends have actually said the same thing, that they believe Dallas would be one of the better fits for him..

stretch
07-13-2010, 05:14 PM
That didn't stop him from taking retarded shots at key times in the playoffs, exactly what I said he'd do.

He didn't really take a lot of bad shots. More like he missed some easy ones.

Edward
07-13-2010, 05:15 PM
He didn't really take a lot of bad shots. More like he missed some easy ones.

Maybe wide open jump shots appear to be easy but if Shawn Marion is attempting a shot from more than 5 feet away from the hoop, it's a bad shot.

stretch
07-13-2010, 05:19 PM
Maybe wide open jump shots appear to be easy but if Shawn Marion is attempting a shot from more than 5 feet away from the hoop, it's a bad shot.

The majority of his shots were around 5 feet or closer. Like I said, he missed easy ones mainly.

dirk4mvp
07-13-2010, 05:22 PM
lol hating on former Suns PF Shawn The Matrix Marion when your current PF is Hedo Turkoglu.

stretch
07-13-2010, 05:26 PM
lol hating on former Suns PF Shawn The Matrix Marion when your current PF is Hedo Turkoglu.

:lmao

sribb43
07-13-2010, 05:27 PM
I dont mind Harrington filling Tim Thomas' role but unfortunately he would get paid a shitload more. Your not going to find that type of wing player the mavs need with the MLE so i think Al isnt that bad of a signing....Now the trade for Chandler, thats a different story :bang

Edward
07-13-2010, 05:27 PM

lol trying to change the subject
lol dropping from 50% shooting to 40% shooting once the playoffs start
lol choking faggot
lol denying the fact I was right about him
lol Marion

dirk4mvp
07-13-2010, 05:30 PM
lol upset

Edward
07-13-2010, 05:31 PM
lol owned by the Suns in 2k10

clambake
07-13-2010, 05:31 PM
i forgot all about tim thomas.

where is he?

mavsfan1000
07-13-2010, 07:51 PM
He'll back up Dirk. I doubt he'll play any at the 3.

sefant77
07-13-2010, 08:11 PM
See, if you get a guy like Al Jefferson you dont have to pay a backup PF 5-6 million over some years.

sefant77
07-13-2010, 08:13 PM
He'll back up Dirk. I doubt he'll play any at the 3.

Mavs wanna play 48 minutes the same frontcourt style.

Play the defensive minded shotblocking and rebounding center together with a PF with range until the perimeter.

Dirk/Harrington
Haywood/Chandler

For sure no smallball with Harrington and Dirk together.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-13-2010, 09:13 PM
http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/68131/20100713/dallas_views_tolliver_as_harrington_back_up_plan/

If Harrington fails, they're going after Anthony Tolliver.

DJ Mbenga
07-13-2010, 09:19 PM
lots of role players no stars for mavs