PDA

View Full Version : Official Tony Parker Extension Rumor

spurnash
07-13-2010, 04:53 PM
I am officially beginning my own T. Parker extension rumor....As we have over 100 T. Parker Trade rumors (i must admit i do enjoy them even though i don't believe them)...I thought at least some of you may enjoy this amazing rumor.

Rumor from HoopsME.RU "The signing of T. Splitter for the shockingly low $3.4M starting salary have allowed the Spurs to Re-Negotiate and extend the T. Parker contract and still remain under the cap. Tony's 2010 contract of $13.5M is being rumored to be torn up and replaced by "future cap friendly" 6 year $93M contract which will straight line his annual salary $15.75M per year."

I appologize for not creating a link.....:p:

The irony is 15 minutes after i post this i expect tony parker to be traded for N. Batum, G. Oden and Sam Bowie.

Anonymous Cowherd
07-13-2010, 04:58 PM
that is a BIG contract & salary...

Juanobili
07-13-2010, 05:00 PM
6 year $93M

holy fuck.

spurnash
07-13-2010, 05:06 PM
that is a BIG contract & salary...

I am obviously making this up....but....if we want him i am sure we can sign for that right now no questions asked....on the other hand we could trade him....:lol

Truth is i never expected Tiago to come over for as little as he did, so who knows what RC will get him to sign for.............on the other hand we just signed bonner for 4 and 16 so whooooo knows what RC will get him to sign for..:bang

Brazil
07-13-2010, 05:08 PM
As I already commented I think TP would consider positively something like 80 / 5 y. 6 years is a little surprising unless its a non guaranted year.
Otherwise 15 to 16 M a year is what TP is expected

GSH
07-13-2010, 05:24 PM
Spurnash -

THAT is why you should never try to post anything involving humor, sarcasm, irony, etc. No matter how obvious you make it, at least half the people will take it 100% seriously. My favorite flame wars are when people take sides and bash each over something that the thread creator never dreamed would be taken seriously. Note that coming out and SAYING that you made it up didn't prevent serious discussion of the salary numbers.

Your point is well made. All the talk about Parker being traded amounts to nothing. And with Jefferson re-negotiating his deal, there is every reason to think that we will be able to extend Parker's deal and keep him here. Why not start your own rumor to that effect? It's every bit as valid as most of the sportswriters' speculations.

spurnash
07-13-2010, 05:43 PM
Spurnash -

THAT is why you should never try to post anything involving humor, sarcasm, irony, etc. No matter how obvious you make it, at least half the people will take it 100% seriously. My favorite flame wars are when people take sides and bash each over something that the thread creator never dreamed would be taken seriously. Note that coming out and SAYING that you made it up didn't prevent serious discussion of the salary numbers.

Your point is well made. All the talk about Parker being traded amounts to nothing. And with Jefferson re-negotiating his deal, there is every reason to think that we will be able to extend Parker's deal and keep him here. Why not start your own rumor to that effect? It's every bit as valid as most of the sportswriters' speculations.

Point well taken :toast You are right on target!

Please note though if at any point TP get resigned, i would like to get credit for reporting it here first!!!

ElNono
07-13-2010, 06:10 PM
What's the max the Spurs can offer Tony, and is it possible to do so under the current cap situation?

Muser
07-13-2010, 06:13 PM
Tony is gone after this season IMO.

spurnash
07-13-2010, 06:22 PM
What's the max the Spurs can offer Tony, and is it possible to do so under the current cap situation?

Q#1 - Max contract with over 7 years experience is 16,324,500

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#67

Q #2 - It depends what RJ signs for. If RJ signs for around 6M we have about $2.5M to spend assumming the remaining spots on our 15 man roster gets filled with minimum contracts.

ElNono
07-13-2010, 06:25 PM
Thanks. I personally think the Spurs will offer TP an extension for the max. That said, it's up to Tony to take it. And if the upcoming CBA is anything like it's rumored, I think he might.

SenorSpur
07-13-2010, 06:38 PM
Thanks. I personally think the Spurs will offer TP an extension for the max. That said, it's up to Tony to take it. And if the upcoming CBA is anything like it's rumored, I think he might.

Sets up a nice S&T scenario.

No way the Spurs will try to build around Parker, after Tim and Manu hang it up.

ElNono
07-13-2010, 06:42 PM
Sets up a nice S&T scenario.

No way the Spurs will try to build around Parker, after Tim and Manu hang it up.

I think they will reward him. Much like they did with Malik, even if they had to ship him afterwards.

SenorSpur
07-13-2010, 06:46 PM
I think they will reward him. Much like they did with Malik, even if they had to ship him afterwards.

I wouldn't have an issue with it at all. He's definitely deserving. From a selfish standpoint, I sure would hate to see him go... but I understand.

Blackjack
07-13-2010, 06:48 PM
http://www.suchablog.com/images/tony_parker.jpg

http://www.acuism.org/images/extenze.jpg

Now, there's an extension rumor . . .

spursfan1000
07-13-2010, 06:50 PM
I would hate to see Parker go.

ducks
07-13-2010, 06:51 PM
should be paid between 13-14 million a year and should sign the extension by allstar break is he is playing well and spurs are playing well

Pauleta14
07-13-2010, 08:51 PM
should be paid between 13-14 million a year and should sign the extension by allstar break is he is playing well and spurs are playing well

I wish he would accept that!

I fear he'll want at least 15M/year...

But I like ElNono's idea! at least we would have something valuable to ship to rebuild...

vander
07-13-2010, 08:56 PM
extension should start at 11 mil and decline

TDMVPDPOY
07-13-2010, 08:59 PM
should be around nba minimum

Pauleta14
07-13-2010, 09:00 PM
extension should start at 11 mil and decline

:lol

Thompson
07-13-2010, 09:25 PM
I am officially beginning my own T. Parker extension rumor....As we have over 100 T. Parker Trade rumors (i must admit i do enjoy them even though i don't believe them)...I thought at least some of you may enjoy this amazing rumor.

Good idea actually. Other teams might not want to trade for Parker anyway, fearing it might be a 1 year rental. We lock him in for a few more years and we could increase his trade value.

Extended Parker for Paul, straight up.

coyotes_geek
07-13-2010, 10:02 PM
Q#1 - Max contract with over 7 years experience is 16,324,500

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#67

If we're talking about an extension to Tony's existing contract then the first year of that extension is limited to being no more than a 10.5% raise over the last year of his current contract. (See #52 on Coon's FAQ). In Tony's case that would equate to a 2011-2012 salary of $15.083 mil. (10.5% raise over Tony's 2010-2011 salary of $13.650 mil)

Running those numbers out, the maximum extension the Spurs could offer Tony is 4 years, $69.835 mil.

Q #2 - It depends what RJ signs for. If RJ signs for around 6M we have about $2.5M to spend assumming the remaining spots on our 15 man roster gets filled with minimum contracts.

RJ's contract situation does not affect the Spurs ability to give Tony an extension. Adding future years to an existing contract has no cap impacts on the current year. Obviously though whatever Tony's salary was in the future years would count against that year's cap.

spurnash
07-13-2010, 10:15 PM
q1 - thanks nice catch

q2 - Your right....I was answering the question as if TP and the Spurs re-did their 2010 and added years beyond (that was the hypothetical for the start of the thread)

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-13-2010, 10:20 PM
I really enjoy it when noobs (and Sequ) use the forum like it's their toilet seat. :rolleyes

coyotes_geek
07-13-2010, 10:28 PM
Tony has an interesting decision to make with regards to an extension.

Option #1: Take the biggest contract extension he can get, right now.
Pros:
He would be protected from the uncertainty of what the next cba will look like.
Having an extra $70 mil guaranteed to you is better than not having an extra $70 mil guaranteed to you.

Cons:
The maximum extension he can sign is less than the max.
Signing a 4 year contract means he doesn't hit free agency again until he's 33 and by then the odds that he'll be able to sign another big money contract will have decreased dramatically.
A four year extension keeps him in San Antonio for the post-Duncan era and he might not like being part of a rebuilding situation.

Option #2: Don't sign an extension.
Pros:
He gets the opportunity for someone to offer him a max contract.
He gets flexibility to leave if this year makes it apparent that the Spurs window is definitely closed.

Cons:
CBA uncertainty.
There's a risk of a bad year or injuries costing him a bunch of money.

Option #3: Sign a 1 year extension.
Pros:
His contract would expire the same year Tim's does, thus allowing Tony to see what Tim does before he makes his own decision.
He would be a free agent at age 30 and could sign a 5 year deal that guarantees him big money into his mid 30s.

Cons:
If he is interested in New York, they probably won't have cap room two years from now.
CBA uncertainty.

If I were Tony, I'd probably take Option #3.

eisfeld
07-13-2010, 11:23 PM

Rumor from HoopsME.RU "The signing of T. Splitter for the shockingly low $3.4M starting salary have allowed the Spurs to Re-Negotiate and extend the T. Parker contract and still remain under the cap. Tony's 2010 contract of $13.5M is being rumored to be torn up and replaced by "future cap friendly" 6 year $93M contract which will straight line his annual salary $15.75M per year."

I appologize for not creating a link.....:p:

The irony is 15 minutes after i post this i expect tony parker to be traded for N. Batum, G. Oden and Sam Bowie.

You know which color you have to use when posting something like this ;)