PDA

View Full Version : The Official Bruce Bowen Exposé

timvp
05-16-2005, 07:19 PM
Almost everyone here is a Bruce Bowen fan including me, but his offensive ineptitude has reached dangerous levels. His defense has been great at times, but it's difficult to play 4 on 5 on the offensive end and win.

I'm not sure what the problem is on the offensive end, but whatever it is has ailed him throughout his Spurs career. He's doing a good job of hitting his three-pointers in the playoffs, but he's been horredous from within the arc. His 41.7% shooting from three-point lane in the playoffs is great, but he's hit only 3 of his 21 two-pointers. That is amazingly bad.

I've always said that I want Bowen to score in one of two ways: on corner threes or running the break. Though he's improved his mid-range game in his career, it's not going to work in the playoffs -- and it hasn't. He's never going to upfake a three and make that 18-footer in the playoffs with the defenders swarming around him. He's never going to hit the little five-foot floaters he shoots.

The Nuggets made it a point to take away Bowen from the offense, but the Sonics are leaving him. The scary thing is his stats are the same in each series. In fact, he's shooting even worse against the Sonics.

In the regular season, he averaged a career-high 8.2 points per contest. In the playoffs, it's down to 2.8 points in exactly the same amount of minutes per game. Why is he struggling so bad?

One reason is his shots are down. In the regular season, he averaged 7.3 shots per game, of which 3.1 of them were threes. In the postseason, he's shooting 3.7 shots per game, of which 1.3 are three-pointers. You could think that him missing his two-pointers is no big deal, but he's missed more than any Spurs outside the big three.

It'd be easy to say that the Spurs aren't passing as much as they were in the regular season, but the numbers show that the assists are pretty much in line. In the regular season, the Spurs assisted on 60% of their field goals. In the playoffs, that number only dips to 55%.

The bad news for Bowen and the Spurs is I don't think there is an answer -- other than Bowen to just stop shooting anything other than a three-pointer. In his career as a Spur, he's struggled from within the arc in almost every series.

2002 SEA: 4-12
2002 LAL: 10-24
2003 PHX: 6-16
2003 LAL: 7-17
2003 DAL: 3-16
2003 NJN: 3-16
2004 MEM: 9-18
2004 LAL: 3-16
2005 DEN: 1-9
2005 SEA: 2-12

That's 30.7% on two-pointers in his Spurs playoff career.

Now what is the answer to this riddle? Should Bowen ONLY shoot three-pointers? Should the Spurs run some plays to get him some easy two-point buckets to open up his game? Should the Spurs not play him as much? Does it even matter?

Again, his defense is great but his offense is worrisome.

What do you do?

wildbill2u
05-16-2005, 07:28 PM
You could see his hesitation and fear last year in the playoffs. He simply won't shoot when he has the open three too much of the time. And his attempts to fake the three and go in for a short pull-up jumper are pathetic.

What can you do? Find another SF who'll do both offense and defense adequately and bring him off the bench to cool down a hot shooter. Unfortunately, there's probably nothing that can be done this year other than having Manu or Barry take over the SF spot.

Kori Ellis
05-16-2005, 07:30 PM
Just tell him to shoot 3's or score on the break only. Don't let him try to play his mid-range game in the postseason. As evidenced by LJ's post, it doesn't work.

To get him more open 3's, Tony need to pass to him earlier in the game to get him rolling. When Bruce hits a 3-pointer in the first quarter, things bode well for him and the Spurs.

baseline bum
05-16-2005, 07:31 PM
Trade him for Jamal Crawford and Erick Barkley.

But, we're the Spurs ©

boutons
05-16-2005, 08:04 PM
As well as he shoot 3G's, does anybody else think his shot release is VERY SLOW?

He seems to need 3 seconds to catch it, set his feet, bring the ball down!, decide to shoot, and finally shoot ball.

I think he won't shoot 3G's that faster-releasers would shoot because he knows he needs so much time to release, needing 15 feet between him and defender, WIDE open, before he shoots it, for his "License to Shoot". ie, he could shoot a lot more 3's if he worked on a quicker release, with a hand in his face, AND his confidence, and the teams's support to let them fly.

Compare with the super-quick release of somebody like Ray Allen, or Peja, who need only 2 or 3 feet clear to let it fly.

Remember in the 03 WC semis vs Lakers when Bruce hit 7 3's and essentially destroyed the Lakers by himself? ah, what memories!!

I don't think Bruce's offense is anywhere near the top of Pop's list of priorities, not that Pop is holding his offense back.

So we got 2 starters, Brent and Bruce, who won't shoot to exploit their stregths as 3G shooters. Damn, what head cases!!

texbumTHElife
05-16-2005, 08:11 PM
As well as he shoot 3G's, does anybody else think his shot release is VERY SLOW?

He seems to need 3 seconds to catch it, set his feet, bring the ball down!, decide to shoot, and finally shoot ball.

I think he won't shoot 3G's that faster-releasers would shoot because he knows he needs so much time to release, needing 15 feet between him and defender, WIDE open, before he shoots it, for his "License to Shoot". ie, he could shoot a lot more 3's if he worked on a quicker release, with a hand in his face, AND his confidence, and the teams's support to let them fly.

Compare with the super-quick release of somebody like Ray Allen, or Peja, who need only 2 or 3 feet clear to let it fly.

Remember in the 03 WC semis vs Lakers when Bruce hit 7 3's and essentially destroyed the Lakers by himself? ah, what memories!!

I don't think Bruce's offense is anywhere near the top of Pop's list of priorities, not that Pop is holding his offense back.

So we got 2 starters, Brent and Bruce, who won't shoot to exploit their stregths as 3G shooters. Damn, what head cases!!

Well, uh....... you did just compare Bruce Bowen to Ray Allen and Peja Stojacovic. If that is what you are expecting then no wonder you are dissapointed.

boutons
05-16-2005, 08:15 PM
timvp is asking for improvements, advice, discuss.

If Bruce worked on quicker decision and quicker release, he'd have more shots. (whether he would take them ....?)

I'm not saying he should be the fastest releaseer in the NBA, only faster than he his now.

orhe
05-16-2005, 08:28 PM
bench him... i think manu can handle allen...
i don't want him playing when the team needs to score (sorry bruce fans).
i'd like to see us playing that 3 guard line up again like we did in 03 (sjax and manu plus tp/clax)
i really like bruce and his defense but he is an offensive liability... perhaps barry getting more minutes and TP actually passing him the ball would be better

Kori Ellis
05-16-2005, 08:30 PM
I don't even think the Spurs should consider benching him. Not just his individual D but the whole defensive tone of the team D starts with Bowen. Spurs are not going to turn into a run and gun team that will outshoot teams overnight. If you want to switch up their whole game plan, you have to wait until next year.

Bowen averaged over eight points a game this season -- he just needs to get back to basics, corner three's and running the break. And better ball movement from the guards to help him (and everyone else) get in better offensive rhythm.

gospursgojas
05-16-2005, 09:02 PM
The 04 Lakers, and the 98-02 Blazers should of taught you all that an abundance of offense doesn't always win.

Hows the old saying go.... Defense wins championships

E20
05-16-2005, 09:03 PM
Not much to say about Bruce, his D is stellar and he will fall short on his assignments sometimes. He's offense pretty much stank for his career except that his corner 3 ball is his only reliable offense but, he's trying to develop a mid range game which seems to be affecting his 3pt shot.

PS

^^^^^^
I love your sig!!!!

cherylsteele
05-16-2005, 09:07 PM
Bruce's release looks a whole lot better than Nazr's.....nobody was saying Bruce needed to be benched when we were up 2-0....or after we beat Denver......I guess if Timmy has a a bad couple of games we should bench him too?

You people want you cake and eat it too.

gospursgojas
05-16-2005, 09:09 PM
Bruce's release looks a whole lot better than Nazr's.....nobody was saying Bruce needed to be benched when we were up 2-0....or after we beat Denver......I guess if Timmy has a a bad couple of games we should bench him too?

You people want you cake and eat it too.

Believe it or not some fans on this site would actually call for that.....

1Parker1
05-16-2005, 09:13 PM
For all the energy and confidence Bruce has on Defense, it seems when it comes to offense he has little energy and zero confidence. He's hesitant to take the open shot and shoot more in the playoffs because he doesn't have confidence in himself when it comes to offense as much as he does when it comes to playing defense.

He needs to work on his 3 point shooting this summer. Also, Tony needs to get him involved AND Barry involved more. I think that is why both are in such a shooting slump. If Tony/Pop design more plays that get Barry and Bruce involved in the first quarter of games and give them some easy shots/looks, I think that will instill more confidence in them as the game progresses.

TimVp is right on one account, it tough to match up offensively when you're 4 on 5--or actually 3 on 5 (since Nazr/Rasho aren't exactly great offensively either). That is why when one or two of the "Big Three" have a bad game, Spurs have trouble recovering.

cherylsteele
05-16-2005, 09:17 PM
Believe it or not some fans on this site would actually call for that.....

Wouldn't surprise me in the least. I would start Bowen to get his head in the game defensively for about the first 5-6 minutes and use him in 5-6 min spurts after that.....tell him to disprupt the other teams offensive rhythym....play Devine more in back of Bowen.

I would bring Big Dog in for Timmy.....that way we have a lesser chance of having a shooting slump when Timmy sits for a breather. I would bring in Horry, Rasho, TMass in for situtational times or when we have foul trouble.

I would also like see Pop try a pick-n-roll with Barry and Big Dog and make the "D" pick their poison....it might even help Barry get his confidence back.

orhe
05-16-2005, 09:26 PM
I don't even think the Spurs should consider benching him. Not just his individual D but the whole defensive tone of the team D starts with Bowen. Spurs are not going to turn into a run and gun team that will outshoot teams overnight. If you want to switch up their whole game plan, you have to wait until next year.

Bowen averaged over eight points a game this season -- he just needs to get back to basics, corner three's and running the break. And better ball movement from the guards to help him (and everyone else) get in better offensive rhythm.

ehr sorry not at the start but for some parts of the game...
i'd like to see more barry/manu than bowen/manu but definetely not at the start

TwoHandJam
05-16-2005, 09:39 PM
Bowen's defense can be great but lately he hasn't been consistent on D. When that's not happening, he's a complete and total liability because he doesn't need to be gaurded on offense. We cannot afford to play 4 on 5 in the playoffs. It's just suicide.

With Barry clearly sinking in these playoffs and Devin still on the mend, the lack of an alternative swingman is really hurting us. Now with Robinson seemingly unable to hold his temper in games, I don't know if there's an easy answer to this problem. However, with Bowen playing as badly as he has, I think Pop has to give Brown and Robinson some more burn. We just can't afford to play 4 on 5 anymore.

1Parker1
05-16-2005, 09:42 PM
Why does everyone keep saying we can't play 4 on 5 anymore? It's more like 3 on 5, since our center/s aren't exactly an offensive machine either! Which makes it all the more important that players like Brent Barry and Bruce Bowen hit their open 3's.

jalbre6
05-16-2005, 09:43 PM
...when one or two of the "Big Three" have a bad game, Spurs have trouble recovering.

Yup. Luckily, the odds are with you when three out of your five starters might explode any moment.

ducks
05-16-2005, 10:36 PM
spurs are really playing 3 on 5 if barry is not shotting

barry is expose barry

that is why barry can not start anymore

Spurminator
05-16-2005, 10:47 PM
I liked that he had developed an up-fake and a drive to the basket, because it was helping to throw off defenses that expected him to shoot the three from the corner. They could run full blast and challenge his shot without worrying about him blowing by them. This year they ran the risk of allowing him to get free and disrupt the defense. It's why his assist totals were up.

That said, recently he's become just as predictable with the fake. I now assume that he will drive to the basket and either throw up a mid range shot or pass it off. And if I'm expecting it, I know damn well defenses are expecting it. He needs to shoot more when given the opportunity and force opponents to honor his shot.

Leetonidas
05-16-2005, 10:55 PM
Bruce Bowen is the poor man's Ron Artest. To be honest, I'd rather have Ron.

Rick Von Braun
05-17-2005, 02:39 PM
Trade him for Jamal Crawford and Erick Barkley.

But, we're the Spurs ©
I miss Ghost http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smidepressed.gif

CosmicCowboy
05-17-2005, 02:50 PM
Bowen is still the best perimeter man on man defender in the NBA...unfortunately the Sonics are breaking Allen out on screens and with his quick release it negates Bowens defensive edge...I agree that if Ray Allen is gonna get 30+ anyway coming off screens we might as well have Devin in at the 4 (if he really is healthy) so we can have more offensive threats on the floor and spread the defense...

tlongII
05-17-2005, 02:57 PM
Bruce Bowen is a no talent hack. Now that Allen is getting comfortable with Bowen's butcher-like style he is totally useless in this series.

T Park
id make ray allen work more on the offensive end and wear him out.

Switch off and have Ginobili be guarded by him, that will wear him out.

Robinson and Brown have to get more run I agree.

spur219
The Spurs cannot bench Bowen and this is why. Bruce is the best perimeter defender not only for the Spurs but in the entire league. His defense agressiveness will rub off on the other Spurs players so he is a very big key to the Spurs team. Now I do notice that Bruce Bowen's offensive side hasn't been doing so well but it's because he has been very hesistant and I don't know why. He has passed up several open corner 3 pointers and will instead pump fake and drive baseline only to miss the running jumper.

Bowen needs to let that corner 3 pointer fly and he will hit. If he starts hitting the corner 3's then the Spurs will win because then Tim Duncan will post up on Bruce's side and if Tim Duncan gets doubleteamed well their is Bruce waiting on the corner and Tony or Manu up on the key. If Bruce hits early then the Spurs chances of winning the game is so much higher.

samikeyp
05-17-2005, 02:58 PM
He looks scared to shoot them. He just needs to fire...don't put it on the floor.

Kori Ellis
05-17-2005, 03:04 PM
I miss Ghost http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smidepressed.gif

Don't worry, he'll be back. He's just busy getting ready to get married.

BigVee
05-17-2005, 03:15 PM
I must admit that I too am not a Bruce Bowen fan. I would limit his minutes depending on the situation. I believe you lose MORE offensively with him in the game than you do defensively with him out, especially as a series goes on. When the lane closes down and TP or Manu give the ball up it to Bruce in the corner (happens a lot) thepossession seems to rarely end in a score. I would much rather see Beno, Barry, Big Dog...catching that ball in the corner.

nkdlunch
05-17-2005, 04:51 PM
Bruce Bowen is a no talent hack. Now that Allen is getting comfortable with Bowen's butcher-like style he is totally useless in this series.

Ridiculous post.

Without Bowen the Spurs would be like a young virgin without her chastity belt and thrown into a male penitentiary. Well, maybe not that bad, but we'd be fucked :lol