PDA

View Full Version : Greg Oden Is The Key

tlongII
07-14-2010, 12:45 AM
http://www.iamatrailblazersfan.com/ArticleDisplay/tabid/120/ItemID/1590/Default.aspx

http://cdn.iamatrailblazersfan.com.s3.amazonaws.com/media/1GregOdenStill.gif

After LeBron James made it clear he was joining forces with Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh in Miami, not only did the Heat instantly became the biggest threat to dethrone the two-time defending champion Lakers, but now has the potential to collect a lot more hardware down the road due to the average age of their three-headed monster being only 26. Only before could such a 'Super Team' be created by arm-chair General Managers in virtual reality, duping the computer into accepting lopsided deals where player ratings reign supreme and factors such as youth, contract, and importance to their respective cities fall by the wayside. But what once was an unreal fantasy has now turned into a harsh reality for the rest of the league.

With arguably three of the top 15 players in the league on the same team, at different positions, it's difficult to find a chink in their armor. There are concerns about chemistry, or a lack thereof. Depth must also be taken into consideration, as it looks like it'll be the Big Three and not much else. Lastly, while the Heat could become a nightmare on the perimeter defensively, there is a lot to be desired on the interior. But this isn't the NCAA Tournament where all it takes is one flawless game from the underdog, reminiscent of Villanova over Georgetown in the 1985 championship game, for David to knock off Goliath. It takes a sustained effort over the course of a seven game series to accomplish that feat.

For all of the Trail Blazers fans out there looking for an '85 Delorean and flux capacitor in hopes of heading back to June 28th, 2007 and convincing Portland management to select Kevin Durant instead of Greg Oden, relax, because the choice is becoming increasingly apparent. While Durant is already living up to the 'scoring assassin' label former GM, Kevin Pritchard dubbed him during his pre-draft workout in Portland and is arguably the more talented player than his 2007 draft counterpart, his skill set, added to the current roster, will not send BlazerManiacs storming down Broadway, hanging from light fixtures or filling up Pioneer Square for a championship rally. While Roy, Durant, and Aldridge would undoubtedly be the greatest trifecta in Blazers history, it wouldn't be enough to overthrow the Heat. To conquer the unconquerable, Portland must possess something, someone which is unattainable by any other franchise.

Insert Greg Oden. Centers have become an endangered species over the course of the last 15 years, with only Yao Ming and Dwight Howard holding the banner for the big man fraternity currently. Agile, athletic human beings of such size and stature simply do not grow on trees, but any team possessing a player of those specifications is automatically catapulted to elite championship contender status. Since 1990, only Jordan's Bulls were able to hoist the Larry O'Brien trophy without a superstar post player, and I don't think the greatest player in the history of the game is walking through the NBA turnstile any time soon. Portland has built a team which compliments Oden's game to a tee. Aldridge is a perfect power forward to play alongside Greg, as he is able to spread the floor with his silky, smooth jump shot. Batum's fantastic, perimeter defense keeps players away from barreling into the big man and is a deadly three-point shooter, just waiting to make the defense pay for doubling down. Finally, Roy is everything a franchise could want in a superstar, willing to do whatever it takes to for greater good of the team, even if it means running the show through G.O. instead of himself.

As it stands, there are only two roadblocks standing in Oden's path of being top dog, the aforementioned Howard and Ming. But only experience can slow Greg down at this point, because not only is he bigger than Dwight (7-0, 285 lbs vs. 6-11, 265 lbs), he actually shows potential for post moves. And while Yao is undoubtedly the most gifted 7 footer offensively, Oden's quickness and natural defensive instincts give him a distinct advantage over Ming. If and I stress if healthy, Greg will become the most talented big in the entire NBA. Taking everything into consideration, Greg has the chance to be a player no one in the NBA can stop, similar to Shaq earlier this millennium. Despite the fact Oden has proven he can play, the one enduring question still remains, "Can he stay healthy?" Given his injured past (only 82 games played in three seasons), building around Greg is a risky venture, but it is one the Trail Blazers must continue to make, because he gives Portland the best shot at winning the first NBA championship since 1977.

Kevin Durant 35
07-14-2010, 12:49 AM
Key to failure?

Jacob1983
07-14-2010, 12:50 AM
Dawn

Mr Bones
07-14-2010, 03:02 AM
I've never seen the obvious more obviously stated. Greg Oden could help the Blazers, but he needs to stay healthy. What a concept.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-14-2010, 03:07 AM
Dear Lord, not this shit again. Someone pink tlong.

Chieflion
07-14-2010, 03:30 AM
Oh, it is from a homer website.

Vertical
07-14-2010, 03:38 AM
Sam Bowie> Greg Oden

lefty
07-14-2010, 09:54 AM
Insert Greg Oden. Centers have become an endangered species

No shit.

Brazil
07-14-2010, 10:12 AM
lol Kevin Durant

MiamiHeat
07-14-2010, 10:37 AM
really?

trying to justify Oden over Durant?

tlongII
07-14-2010, 10:40 AM
really?

trying to justify Oden over Durant?

There is nothing to justify. Oden is a more valuable player to us than Durant could ever be.

lil_penny
07-14-2010, 10:45 AM
Go g.o.!

ffadicted
07-14-2010, 10:47 AM
:lmao

elbamba
07-14-2010, 10:54 AM
If you want to feel good about letting the best scorer in the NBA for the next 10 years walk away go fo it. Oden has not played a full season yet and he might not ever play. Oden has shown nothing but potential, Bynum has done more than Oden.

The mix of Durant, Westbrook and Green will hold down their own with any team in the NBA. After the SPurs I will root for them. Portland was right to get rid of their GM simply for passing up on Durant, who showed that he was a sure thing in college.

tlongII
07-14-2010, 11:14 AM
OKC is good, but nowhere near championship level. We're going for championships.

thedong
07-14-2010, 11:16 AM
Im still a Oden believer, but after this year, if the dude gets hurt again, then tough luck, maybe you should trade him to Phoenix where he can atleast revive his career.

Muser
07-14-2010, 11:18 AM
There is nothing to justify. Oden is a more valuable player to us than Durant could ever be.

True, I mean I don't know of a team who would want the scoring leader on their team.

lefty
07-14-2010, 11:21 AM
"because he gives Portland the best shot at winning the first NBA championship since 1977"

Well, that's something to feel good about

picc84
07-14-2010, 11:53 AM
This door will never get opened.

Halberto
07-14-2010, 12:00 PM
Brandon Roy will be waiting his whole career for Greg Oden to show up

JamStone
07-14-2010, 12:02 PM
That must be one fucked-up bitch of a lock.

The key keeps getting broken when trying to un-lock it.

Ashy Larry
07-14-2010, 12:56 PM
just gotta feel for this dude ...... constantly injured and then when he's healthy enough to play, he puts he pretty good numbers and get hurt again. And they aren't three or four week injuries. We're talking season ending.

If the Blazers are hoping Oden and Roy can carry the franchise with GO's bad feet and knees, Brandon Roy's shoulders and back are the next to go .....

Indazone
07-14-2010, 01:04 PM
:rolleyes:rolleyes:rolleyes:rolleyes:rolleyes

Mr Bones
07-14-2010, 01:48 PM
If anyone asks for a definition of the word "homer," just give them the link for this thread.

Greg Oden
07-14-2010, 01:49 PM
If anyone asks for a definition of the word "homer," just give them the link for this thread.

Which thread? There's more than 1 link about McHale-Splitter putting the Spurs in contention, tbh.

Mr Bones
07-14-2010, 01:55 PM
Which thread? There's more than 1 link about McHale-Splitter putting the Spurs in contention, tbh.

:lol True, but I'm not saying stupid things in those threads. The idea that Durant "would not have helped" Portland is just dumb. The idea that OKC is not in contention for a championship is just dumb. The idea that Oden needs to get healthy is just repetitive and obvious.

lil_penny
07-14-2010, 01:55 PM

Crucify em greg, crucify em! Hang the hopes of splitter to the tree of woe!!

Mr Bones
07-14-2010, 01:58 PM
If Oden tries to nail someone to the tree of woe, he'll probably tear a muscle in his arm doing it. I think he'd be better off hanging around the tree of crossed fingers and humility.

Kevin Durant 35
07-14-2010, 01:59 PM
If Blazers would've drafted Durant they would of been on same level as Lakers and already could of had a championship. While OKC would still be a lottery team lead by westbrook.

Imagine last year Blazers with Durant

Miller/Blake
Roy/Rudy
Durant/Outlaw
Aldridge/ "?"
Camby/Pryzbila

lil_penny
07-14-2010, 02:42 PM
If Oden tries to nail someone to the tree of woe, he'll probably tear a muscle in his arm doing it. I think he'd be better off hanging around the tree of crossed fingers and humility.

:lol

Dr. Gonzo
07-14-2010, 03:01 PM
Kwame Brown >> Oden

Magdalena M
07-14-2010, 04:22 PM
I'm rooting for The Tripod.

Killakobe81
07-14-2010, 04:49 PM
I told yall ...
everyone focusing on Oden's knees but Roy's arent too stable either ...

IronMexican
07-14-2010, 05:02 PM
Someone needs to send tlong to the tree of woe.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
07-14-2010, 06:04 PM
Last summer (my first summer on this site) this is all I remember, Tlong posting about Oden

Magdalena M
07-14-2010, 06:12 PM
Someone needs to send tlong to the tree of woe.

:lol Are you kidding? Trailblazer fans have been living in a treehouse in the tree of woe since Oden was drafted. They have a good view of Durant's spectacular play from up there!

m33p0
07-14-2010, 06:17 PM
What? Greg Oden has a knee?

doobs
07-14-2010, 06:21 PM
Man, if the Blazers had selected Durant . . . I might have had to be a Blazers fan.

Roy
Durant
Aldridge

That's like a mini Miami Thrice, but with a large Longhorns component. Chills.

IronMexican
07-14-2010, 07:26 PM
:lol Are you kidding? Trailblazer fans have been living in a treehouse in the tree of woe since Oden was drafted. They have a good view of Durant's spectacular play from up there!

:lol

tomtom
07-14-2010, 07:28 PM
Eh no point dwelling in the past. At this point I think this is Oden's last chance to prove himself. I still think he can be a vital part of the team if he can just stay healthy...

OC Lakerfan
07-14-2010, 07:50 PM
Lebron's dad the key to your team? Poor Blazers' fans.

Killakobe81
02-21-2012, 02:59 AM
I told yall ...
everyone focusing on Oden's knees but Roy's arent too stable either ...

told ya ... bumped for some research ...