PDA

View Full Version : Starting center next year

tuncaboylu
07-14-2010, 08:53 AM
If we assume that we've concluded or big man movement this year, who do you think be our start center?

There are 4 options:
Bonner, McDyess, Blair and Splitter.

I hope that Bonner won't start next year(enough is enough i think), but I'm not sure also Gregg will pick the inexperienced NBA players as starter. So it eleminates Blair and Splitter too. I guess, McDyess will start next year.

coyotes_geek
07-14-2010, 08:55 AM
For game 1, Dyess.
For game 82, Splitter.

Agloco
07-14-2010, 08:57 AM
For game 1, Dyess.
For game 82, Splitter.

This. And in between? That's anyone's guess, but bet on Bonner being the starter for at least 10 games.

tdunk21
07-14-2010, 08:59 AM
For game 1, Dyess.
For game 82, Splitter.

this

BG_Spurs_Fan
07-14-2010, 09:00 AM
Don't care who starts the first 50 games but I'd love to see the rotation set early so that only one of them, whoever it is, would start for the last 32 games and the playoffs.

slick'81
07-14-2010, 09:11 AM
bonner better not be starting shit

lotr1trekkie
07-14-2010, 09:21 AM
Dice will start with Tim. Tiago will come in for Tim with Blair. Depending on matchups Bonner will come in. A lot depends on how much production we get from Anderson. He's playing a position that doesn't need a lot of uptime to learn. Shoot and defend. If we get Bell, his job will be simpler.

DPG21920
07-14-2010, 09:23 AM
Duncan.

mountainballer
07-14-2010, 09:23 AM
Duncan. as usual.

K-State Spur
07-14-2010, 09:26 AM
As much as I didn't want to see Bonner back, reports of Pop's love for Bonner have been greatly exaggerated.

Despite the potential that some here saw in Ian - it's not like Bonner has had to contend for PT with a stellar group the past 2 years.

He'll play in situations where we need shooters (sink or swim) and when the injury bug bites the rest of the rotation.

I don't expect him to see 10+ min PT otherwise.

sa_butta
07-14-2010, 09:27 AM
I thought Duncan was our starting PF or 4 spot??

I would say Dice will start the season and if Splitter proves himself on the court then he may take over the roll.

SpursChampsIII
07-14-2010, 09:27 AM
I don't think Splitter starts from day one, but he will likely get more minutes than Dice, Blair, and Bonner.

elbamba
07-14-2010, 09:29 AM
I have a feeling Dice will not be on the team by the end of the year. my guess is that Pop starts him for a while and the Spurs work up a trade. Splitter will be the starting center come playoff time. Spurs have to win now and unless he is a total bust he needs to be thrown into the frying pan.

Penya
07-14-2010, 09:31 AM
Oct- McDyess
Nov- McDyess
Dec- Bonner
Jan -> June? - Splitter

coyotes_geek
07-14-2010, 09:32 AM
I have a feeling Dice will not be on the team by the end of the year. my guess is that Pop starts him for a while and the Spurs work up a trade. Splitter will be the starting center come playoff time. Spurs have to win now and unless he is a total bust he needs to be thrown into the frying pan.

It makes no sense for the Spurs to want to trade Dyess. Considering how Dyess is likely to just retire if he gets traded to some crappy team, he's got no trade value whatsoever.

fyatuk
07-14-2010, 09:37 AM
I'll say that Blair and Splitter will split the starting (With Bonner and McDyess a couple starts each) depending on matchups. McDyess wants to come off the bench and plays better in that role, so I think Pop will try to keep him there if possible, and especially while trying to limit his minutes.

If Blair shows an improved jump shot and steadier defense against taller players, he'll start most of the games.

tmtcsc
07-14-2010, 09:47 AM
Splitter - 5
Duncan - 4
Jefferson - 3
Ginobili - 2
Parker - 1

Bench Rotation:

5 - Dice
4 - Blair
3 - Hairston / Bonner (?)
2 - Anderson
1 - Hill

The rotations will be mixed but I think those 10 players will see the most court time. Of course, if we get Bell or Jones, that changes things.

jiggy_55
07-14-2010, 09:52 AM
Probably Pop starts off with Dyess. However, I hope he gives all 82 to Splitter and Duncan at the 5 and 4 (health permitting obviously, and Duncan will be rested some nights). It makes no sense otherwise, these guys need to know how to play together and Splitter needs to get minutes to get used to the NBA so why not push him through from Game 1 of the regular season and keep him there. He's our biggest and most skilled big man after Duncan, no reason to not start him. He's not a rookie in the normal sense either, he's highly talented, experienced and should be good from the get go.

SpurCharger
07-14-2010, 09:56 AM
Richard Jefferson

Brazil
07-14-2010, 10:05 AM
Richard Jefferson

:lmao

finally a realistic pick

Drachen
07-14-2010, 10:11 AM
He's not a rookie in the normal sense either, he's highly talented, experienced and should be good from the get go.

It would be great if he won ROY.

Brazil
07-14-2010, 10:13 AM

if Splitter is ROY and the roster is healthy 5th here we come

Drachen
07-14-2010, 10:16 AM
if Splitter is ROY and the roster is healthy 5th here we come

Even if he is on the top 5 ballots of the voters, this would be cool.

jiggy_55
07-14-2010, 10:21 AM

Not possible lol. He'd need 30+ minutes, and he'd need to be simply outstanding. Won't happen in SA. ROY will be between Wall and Griffin imo.

coyotes_geek
07-14-2010, 10:24 AM

It would, but he doesn't have a chance. There's too many other guys who are going to have the opportunity to put up big numbers because they'll be playing for bad teams. If Blake Griffin is healthy he stands a good chance of putting up 20 & 10 for a Clipper team that has nothing better to do than to give Griffin as many minutes as possible.

urunobili
07-14-2010, 10:25 AM
Splitter - 5
Duncan - 4
Jefferson - 3
Ginobili - 2
Parker - 1

Bench Rotation:

5 - Dice
4 - Blair
3 - Hairston / Bonner (?)
2 - Anderson
1 - Hill

:drool:

coyotes_geek
07-14-2010, 10:28 AM
Not possible lol. He'd need 30+ minutes, and he'd need to be simply outstanding. Won't happen in SA. ROY will be between Wall and Griffin imo.

I'd also toss Derrick Favors in there. With Brook Lopez drawing a lot of attention he should be able to put up big numbers for the Nets.

Brazil
07-14-2010, 10:37 AM
It would, but he doesn't have a chance. There's too many other guys who are going to have the opportunity to put up big numbers because they'll be playing for bad teams. If Blake Griffin is healthy he stands a good chance of putting up 20 & 10 for a Clipper team that has nothing better to do than to give Griffin as many minutes as possible.

technically Griffin can be ROY ? I think he will be considered sophomore

spursfaninla
07-14-2010, 10:39 AM
Duncan will be our center practically speaking.

Who will be our PF is the question.

AFBlue
07-14-2010, 10:39 AM

Didn't play any minutes last season, so he's still a rook. Same thing applied to Oden...only he was never in contention after his injury in the second year.

coyotes_geek
07-14-2010, 10:42 AM

As I understand it, he can.

AFBlue
07-14-2010, 10:45 AM
Who cares? The fact that we don't have to assume it's Matt Bonner is good enough for me. There is one obvious choice and that's McDyess, but if Blair has really improved his perimeter game then I think he can vie for it (as PF w/ Duncan at C). And the defensive appeal of having two 7-footers on the floor to start out the game is undeniable.

Either way, the Spurs are better off now than they were at this time last year and it feels good.

TheSpurglar
07-14-2010, 10:48 AM
I'm hoping Splitter is just plain good enough to make this conversation pointless. If he can force Pop to shuffle Dice over to the bench this team will be much better off. I'd like to see Dice and Blair come off the bench for Splitter and Duncan, and see Bonner get very limited minutes at the 4 and 3 whenever necessary.

Borosai
07-14-2010, 10:49 AM
Duncan.

gospursgojas
07-14-2010, 10:52 AM
Who are we kidding of course its gonna be BONNER

buttsR4rebounding
07-14-2010, 10:57 AM
Shaq...

rascal
07-14-2010, 11:06 AM
It makes no sense for the Spurs to want to trade Dyess. Considering how Dyess is likely to just retire if he gets traded to some crappy team, he's got no trade value whatsoever.

If he has no trade value then he is not good enough to be starting. And Bonner should not be starting either so that leaves Splitter. It is sink or swim with Splitter.

If Splitter isn't starting quality the spurs aren't going anywhere anyways.

AFBlue
07-14-2010, 11:11 AM
I'm hoping Splitter is just plain good enough to make this conversation pointless. If he can force Pop to shuffle Dice over to the bench this team will be much better off. I'd like to see Dice and Blair come off the bench for Splitter and Duncan, and see Bonner get very limited minutes at the 4 and 3 whenever necessary.

No matter how they work it, I'd like the Spurs to avoid putting Blair out there with anyone other than Duncan or Splitter. He's an undersized PF, and putting him out there with Dice, or God forbid, Bonner would only compound the issue.

coyotes_geek
07-14-2010, 11:13 AM
If he has no trade value then he is not good enough to be starting.

Good enough to start and having trade value are two different things. Sometimes they line up, sometimes they don't. Take Bruce Bowen for example. He was good enough to start for us, but never really had much trade value. Erick Dampier is another good example. He was good enough to start for the mavs, but had no trade value until his contract became unguaranteed.

And Bonner should not be starting either so that leaves Splitter. It is sink or swim with Splitter.

I fully expect Splitter to be starting by year's end.

No doubt.

ploto
07-14-2010, 11:16 AM
I hope Pop starts Splitter from Day 1. Blair is definitely an off-the-bench energy guy and Dice did next to nothing until late in the season.

AFBlue
07-14-2010, 11:16 AM
If he has no trade value then he is not good enough to be starting. And Bonner should not be starting either so that leaves Splitter. It is sink or swim with Splitter.

Dice isn't bringing back value in return because of the money remaining on his contract, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have value to the Spurs. He's a solid, potentially very good complimentary piece on a contending team. The Spurs FO likely doesn't want to get rid of him (at this point) because all it would bring back is salary cap relief.

And, you forgot about Blair as a potential starter.

AFBlue
07-14-2010, 11:18 AM

Oh and "starting quality" does not equal "starter" in Spurs system (read: Manu). Just because Splitter doesn't start alongside Duncan, doesn't mean he isn't the second best option they have on the frontline.

rascal
07-14-2010, 11:20 AM
Oh and "starting quality" does not equal "starter" in Spurs system (read: Manu). Just because Splitter doesn't start alongside Duncan, doesn't mean he isn't the second best option they have on the frontline.

Then who cares who starts. It doesn't matter. What matters is who will be getting the most minutes.

AFBlue
07-14-2010, 11:20 AM
Then who cares who starts. It doesn't matter. What matters is who will be getting the most minutes.

Said as much in my second post in this thread.

rascal
07-14-2010, 11:24 AM
Dice isn't bringing back value in return because of the money remaining on his contract, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have value to the Spurs. He's a solid, potentially very good complimentary piece on a contending team. The Spurs FO likely doesn't want to get rid of him (at this point) because all it would bring back is salary cap relief.

And, you forgot about Blair as a potential starter.

Dyess is finished as a player getting starter minutes on a contender. Bonner was never a good option to get the minutes he has gotten and blair is not a center so that leaves Splitter. I expect Splitter to get the majority of starts at center this year.

TheSpurglar
07-14-2010, 11:30 AM
No matter how they work it, I'd like the Spurs to avoid putting Blair out there with anyone other than Duncan or Splitter. He's an undersized PF, and putting him out there with Dice, or God forbid, Bonner would only compound the issue.

I didn't mean that I want to see Dice and Blair play extended minutes together, just that I'd like to see Dice and Blair come off the bench. To my mind, Blair should be getting a lot more minutes than Dice. I feel like both Dice and Duncan should have their minutes monitored this year, but especially Dice. I'm hoping for a lot of Duncan/Splitter, Splitter/Blair and Duncan/Blair this year, with only a smattering of Dice thrown in for good measure. It all depends on Splitter.

rascal
07-14-2010, 11:32 AM
Splitter should be starting and getting the bulk of the minutes at center from day 1 . No need to baby this guy.

Other rookies will be starting. With the other weak starting options the spurs have, Splitter should be the logical choice to be the starter.. The spurs success hinges on this guy being good so throw him into the action from day 1.

8FOR!3
07-14-2010, 11:42 AM
Anybody but Blair, 6'7 centers don't work. Dice isn't a center either though...

Brazil
07-14-2010, 11:45 AM
Didn't play any minutes last season, so he's still a rook. Same thing applied to Oden...only he was never in contention after his injury in the second year.

ok thanks

AFBlue
07-14-2010, 11:52 AM
Dyess is finished as a player getting starter minutes on a contender. Bonner was never a good option to get the minutes he has gotten and blair is not a center so that leaves Splitter. I expect Splitter to get the majority of starts at center this year.

Dice is not finished. He plays very physical post defense and has experience with the pick-n-roll, pick-n-pop game. He's not the jumping jack he used to be, but there is definitely some utility left in his game that the Spurs can use effectively.

You're right about Blair, he's a PF...but that won't stop the Spurs from playing him at "Center" alongside Duncan as the "PF". The important thing to note is how Blair develops his perimeter game. If he's a low-block guy only, then it hurts his chances of playing alongside Duncan for long stretches. But, if he can show a consistent elbow or baseline jumper, it makes him a nice compliment to Duncan.

AFBlue
07-14-2010, 11:55 AM
I didn't mean that I want to see Dice and Blair play extended minutes together, just that I'd like to see Dice and Blair come off the bench. To my mind, Blair should be getting a lot more minutes than Dice. I feel like both Dice and Duncan should have their minutes monitored this year, but especially Dice. I'm hoping for a lot of Duncan/Splitter, Splitter/Blair and Duncan/Blair this year, with only a smattering of Dice thrown in for good measure. It all depends on Splitter.

My reply wasn't based on any implication you made or didn't make. It was a seperate statement. I do think that starting Splitter increases the chances that you'll see more minutes of a rotation without either Splitter or Duncan on the floor, but I do think there are ways around that.

Nathan89
07-14-2010, 11:57 AM
No matter how good splitter is he needs to come off the bench. The spurs always need either duncan or splitter on the court for size. The rotations work better this way.

Starting: C-Duncan, PF-Mcdice
Backup: C-Splitter, PF-Bonner or Blair dependent on match-up

8FOR!3
07-14-2010, 12:03 PM
C Splitter/Bonner
PF Duncan/McDyess/Blair

You can have Duncan play center some though, it's not like you have to give Bonner a lot of minutes with that rotation.

CosmicCowboy
07-14-2010, 12:12 PM
If we assume that we've concluded or big man movement this year, who do you think be our start center?

There are 4 options:
Bonner, McDyess, Blair and Splitter.

I hope that Bonner won't start next year(enough is enough i think), but I'm not sure also Gregg will pick the inexperienced NBA players as starter. So it eleminates Blair and Splitter too. I guess, McDyess will start next year.

Tim Duncan

AFBlue
07-14-2010, 12:29 PM
No matter how good splitter is he needs to come off the bench. The spurs always need either duncan or splitter on the court for size. The rotations work better this way.

Starting: C-Duncan, PF-Mcdice
Backup: C-Splitter, PF-Bonner or Blair dependent on match-up

Just because they start alongside one another doesn't mean either can't be on the court most of the time. Spurs are used to bringing Manu off the bench for Parker as an early sub. Same could be applied to the frontcourt...Blair comes off the bench for Duncan as an early sub.

Nathan89
07-14-2010, 12:51 PM
Just because they start alongside one another doesn't mean either can't be on the court most of the time. Spurs are used to bringing Manu off the bench for Parker as an early sub. Same could be applied to the frontcourt...Blair comes off the bench for Duncan as an early sub.

The rotation works better with splitter coming off the bench. Just because he does not start doesnt mean he never going to play with td.

1stQ-duncan-dice start
6:00left1stQ-dice benched-splitter in
3:00left1stQ-duncan benched- blair in

I bet this is how the start of the game is going to look like. To me it just makes much more sense.

AFBlue
07-14-2010, 12:56 PM
The rotation works better with splitter coming off the bench. Just because he does not start doesnt mean he never going to play with td.

1stQ-duncan-dice start
6:00left1stQ-dice benched-splitter in
3:00left1stQ-duncan benched- blair in

I bet this is how the start of the game is going to look like. To me it just makes much more sense.

Makes sense to me too...I was just saying that it would be possible for Splitter to start alongside Duncan and still not have long periods of time where neither was on the court.

Like I said to begin with, however they want to work out the starting situation is fine with me. I'm just glad the Spurs have more options than ever before.

anakha
07-14-2010, 01:20 PM
Unless Blair develops a midrange J, I don't know if playing him and Duncan together for extended minutes makes sense offensively.

I'd actually like to see a bit of Blair and Splitter together, since Splitter seems to have a decent high-post game, and Blair would still have some size behind him on defense.

coyotes_geek
07-14-2010, 01:21 PM
Unless Blair develops a midrange J, I don't know if playing him and Duncan together for extended minutes makes sense offensively.

I'd actually like to see a bit of Blair and Splitter together, since Splitter seems to have a decent high-post game, and Blair would still have some size behind him on defense.

Agreed. Blair's best fit on this team is to sub in for Tim, not to play alongside him.

AFBlue
07-14-2010, 01:24 PM

This has pretty much been the focus of Blair's entire off-season. He supposedly showed up to the practice facility less than a week after the Spurs were eliminated to start working with Chip and the other assistants.

Whether or not the off-season efforts will translate to in-game success is yet to be seen, but the Spurs have clearly identified it as a key to him getting more minutes in the system.

Solid D
07-14-2010, 01:24 PM
I have another question. Will the Spurs have a center that can draw a double team next year?

coyotes_geek
07-14-2010, 01:26 PM
I have another question. Will the Spurs have a center that can draw a double team next year?

If you're asking about one other than Duncan, no.

Solid D
07-14-2010, 01:29 PM
If you're asking about one other than Duncan, no.

I'm wondering about anyone, including Duncan. :depressed

coyotes_geek
07-14-2010, 01:31 PM

Ouch.

Not saying you don't have a point, but still, ouch..........

AFBlue
07-14-2010, 01:39 PM

He won't be an automatic double-team, but if Duncan gets rolling early I could definitely see opposing teams employ the double-team.

nickdaquick
07-14-2010, 02:01 PM
If it's not Tiago then we're in trouble.

Mr Bones
07-14-2010, 02:09 PM

Sadly, I agree. If Tiago is only good for 20 mpg and not worthy of starting, I don't think that's enough for the Spurs to contend for a championship.

AFBlue
07-14-2010, 02:38 PM

Sadly, I agree. If Tiago is only good for 20 mpg and not worthy of starting, I don't think that's enough for the Spurs to contend for a championship.

Since when has it become a pre-requisite for a starting-calibur player to start for the Spurs?. Manu Ginobili didn't start a lot of games, but that says nothing about whether or not he was "worthy".

If the Spurs decide Tiago is best alongside TD at the start of the game, then they'll go that way. But, if they decide to start Dice or Blair and bring in Splitter off the bench, it doesn't mean the Spurs are in trouble.

I would like to see Splitter's minutes up above 20 though.

doobs
07-14-2010, 03:11 PM
Call the positions whatever you like, but the Spurs generally have one big who plays close to the basket and one who plays closer to the perimeter.

CTB (close to basket): Duncan/Blair
CTP (close to perimeter): McDyess/Bonner [McDyess with his midrange jumper, Bonner with his 3pt shooting]

Generally speaking, Duncan and Blair shouldn't be on the floor at the same time. Ditto for McDyess and Bonner.

It remains to be seen whether Splitter can play both. I think he probably can, which makes him a really versatile and useful piece to the rotation. He'll play high and closer to the perimeter when he's playing with Duncan or Blair. He'll play low and close to the basket when he's playing with McDyess or Bonner.

angelbelow
07-14-2010, 03:14 PM
Just start Splitter right away. He needs to learn asap. By playing Bonner/Dice were the same team we are last year who wont be good enough. So we have nothing to lose by starting Splitter right away.. in fact, the faster splitter clicks the better chance we have to win.

doobs
07-14-2010, 03:14 PM
So the question is, who starts alongside Duncan?

Probably McDyess at first, then Splitter. Not Blair. Sometimes Bonner.

Spurs Brazil
07-14-2010, 03:17 PM
Start Tiago and TD with Blair and Dice off the bench

sabar
07-14-2010, 03:20 PM
For what its worth, the paper said that Splitter will be playing behind Duncan and not with him. That seems the most likely scenario anyways, with Dice starting.

Splitter should get the job from day one, but we all know that is not how this team works.

smrattler
07-14-2010, 05:28 PM
For what its worth, the paper said that Splitter will be playing behind Duncan and not with him. That seems the most likely scenario anyways, with Dice starting.

Splitter should get the job from day one, but we all know that is not how this team works.

Well, he also needs time to adjust to the NBA rules and stuff. No reason to shove him out there from the tip-off of his first game. I think watching the game get started from the bench let's you visualize what you would do out there if you were in the starting person's shoes. Then you jump out there and do it. I don't know, that's just me.

But as for the team, it takes most veterans, smart ones with lots of NBA time in NBA systems, usually a good year before feeling comfortable out there. A rookie foreign guy to the U.S. needs time to adjust to rules, new environment, and a whole lot more. I think it's a little much to ask him to start.

bigdog
07-14-2010, 05:31 PM
People, Tiago is not a force on offense whatsoever, therefore, he will not command a double team. The only big that the Spurs have that will draw double teams is Duncan, and even now teams are starting to shy away from that.
Some of you think Splitter is some amazing offensive talent. Most of his points come from weird shots and layups. No one is going to double team him.