PDA

View Full Version : A Summer League Prospect Driven To Honor His Mother-Alonzo Gee

DesignatedT
07-14-2010, 11:09 AM
Nice read by Ken Rodriguez. Lets you know a little more about Gee.

A Summer League Prospect Driven To Honor His Mother

Alonzo Gee is seated on a bench after a vigorous scrimmage, heart pounding, body sweating, a smile creasing his face as talks about the love of his life.

Darlene, his mother.

Darlene Gee is the single parent who raised him on small wages in Riviera
Beach, Fla. The nurturing soul who fed him and two older siblings while she fought rectal cancer. The devoted saint who took the kids to church while she underwent chemotherapy. The motivating force who lifted his spirits when he went undrafted out of the University of Alabama.

"She’s a beautiful person," Alonzo says.

Darlene is a 55-year-old cancer survivor, a nurse technician who is working to become an RN. Her youngest is a 23-year-old shooting guard, a promising scorer who hopes to impress on the Spurs’ Summer League team in Las Vegas.

"I’m a momma’s boy," Alonzo says, and he’s proud of it.

Momma taught Alonzo good manners and the virtue of hard work. She taught him to avoid trouble, eliminate distractions and focus on school and basketball.

"I can hear her right now," Alonzo says, pointing to a voice inside his head. "‘Stay focused. No matter what.’"
Keep Reading (http://www.nba.com/spurs/features/100714_rodriguez.html)

http://www.nba.com/spurs/features/100714_rodriguez.html

Hope he does well.

lefty
07-14-2010, 11:15 AM
Duncan228, is that you?

xellos88330
07-14-2010, 11:19 AM
Duncan228, is that you?

:lmao I was thinking that same thing!

DesignatedT
07-14-2010, 11:20 AM
:lol

My Fault
07-14-2010, 12:57 PM
Wow what a great story. Hope he does good and makes the team. :tu

tdunk21
07-14-2010, 01:12 PM
good story.....

SenorSpur
07-14-2010, 01:14 PM
Wonderful story. Sure sounds like a good kid. Hope he makes his dream a reality - and hope it's with the Spurs.

will_spurs
07-14-2010, 01:17 PM
Am I the only one who finds it kind of superfluous (and more) to let us know exactly what kind of cancer his mother had? As if surviving any cancer at all wasn't enough...

Anyway, good luck to him! Maybe a team will spot him at the SL, otherwise he might join the Toros? Not sure what's in his future really... doesn't feel like he's going to make it to the Spurs roster this year.

MoSpur
07-14-2010, 01:37 PM
That's a really good story. I like reading stuff like that. Sounds like a well grounded guy. Hope he stays that way. I hope he makes it in the NBA. He sounds deserving. I haven't seen too much of him except for a few highlights, but who knows. Maybe he'll make it with the Spurs. He looks strong.

spursdotcom
07-14-2010, 04:09 PM

:toast