PDA

View Full Version : NBA Rosters

Anonymous Cowherd
07-14-2010, 04:31 PM
To be factored into the discussions of which players to sign/keep in the team/call up/cut:

- rosters cannot be smaller than 13
- rosters cannot be larger than 15
- you cannot have more than 12 'Active' players
- you can switch Active & Inactive players on a game-by-game basis

This would mean if we re-signed RJ & signed another SF, we would have to release/waive one of Gee, Hairston, Temple, Jerrels and Richards, could have the rest on our roster in some capacity, but only 1 would expect to be an 'Active' player.

coyotes_geek
07-14-2010, 04:35 PM
Correct on all counts.

lurker23
07-14-2010, 04:37 PM
All of that is correct.

The Spurs currently have 8 guaranteed contracts: Duncan, Parker, Ginobili, Hill, Blair, McDyess, Splitter, and Bonner.

They also have 4 non-guaranteed contracts: Jerrells, Gee, Hairston, and Temple.

There are two players most assume they will sign soon: Richard Jefferson and draft pick James Anderson.

They may also sign another player with the rest of their MLE and/or LLE, as well as draft pick Ryan Richards.

That's 16 players, and the max is 15. I have a feeling they'll probably carry 13 or 14 to give them more financial and/or roster flexibility.

angelbelow
07-14-2010, 04:38 PM
I think Jerrels is the leading candidate to get waived. But I also don't see all 3 (Gee, Hairston, Temple) sticking with the team unless all 3 make it "crazy" for the FO to not keep.

Anonymous Cowherd
07-14-2010, 04:38 PM
cheers - thought this might be a useful guide for consideration given all the talk of additions & places in the team etc.

Dex
07-14-2010, 04:39 PM
So long Gee and Jerrells.

Anonymous Cowherd
07-14-2010, 04:40 PM
I also had Jerrels as the man to get cut, and then you'd guess Temple gets kept, and there's a tough decision between Gee and Hairston for the last remaining slot.

angelbelow
07-14-2010, 04:42 PM
I also had Jerrels as the man to get cut, and then you'd guess Temple gets kept, and there's a tough decision between Gee and Hairston for the last remaining slot.

I think as of right now, Temple and Hairston are the favorites. But I think they see Hairston above Temple and Gee - perhaps for loyalty reasons. The reason I say this is that Hairston was scratched off the summer league roster (and played well the past 2 summer leagues.) So perhaps they are trying to see if Gee and Temple are on Hairston's level and while the final evaluation being training camp and preseason before they decide to cut one.

lurker23
07-14-2010, 04:43 PM
So long Gee and Jerrells.

I agree that Hairston and Temple seem to have the edge on making the team at the moment, and that the most likely scenario is that the Spurs keep 2 of the 4 non-guaranteed contracts.

Muser
07-14-2010, 04:54 PM
Well Hairston is a lock to stay, if the report the spurs gave him SL off because they are high on him is true. That leaves Temple Gee and Jerrels but it's a no brainer to go with Temple.

That gives you 10 guaranteed, sign RJ/Anderson/MLE player and maybe an LLE player would give you 14 and then sign Richards to a minimum contract and stash him in Austin. That's the offseason complete.

Anonymous Cowherd
07-14-2010, 04:56 PM
I'd keep Gee and save the LLE to have next season

coyotes_geek
07-14-2010, 05:01 PM
The Spurs are going to play the same ping-pong game between San Antonio and Austin with the last few roster spots that they do every year. Guys are going to get signed, cut, re-signed and cut again all season long. It's not like the Spurs are going to just pick a couple guys out of the Hairston/Gee/Temple/Jerrells group and then keep them on the roster for the entire season. In fact the Spurs are probably going to spend the middle portion of the season only carrying 13 guys just to save a few bucks.

So I think they're going to cut Temple and keep Hairston and Gee until they're far enough into the season where they've earned enough money to cover their contract guarantees. Then they'll both get cut. If the Spurs need a PG for a stretch, they'll sign Temple or Jerrells to unguaranteed contract and cut him when they don't need him anymore. Around March, the Spurs will pick their favorite two between Gee/Hairston/Temple/Jerrells/anyone else who caught their eye and carry them on the roster into the playoffs.

AFBlue
07-14-2010, 05:09 PM
I'd keep Gee and save the LLE to have next season

Or they could cut Gee, save the LLE and leave a roster spot open. Gee's SL, training camp and preseason are going to be big.

Temple and Hairston look secure at this point and Jerrells appears to be on the outside looking in.

Quick question: Why hasn't there been any news whatsoever about Ryan Richards? All of us are assuming he'll be signed at some point, but it doesn't seem as if anyone from the Spurs has given an indication one way or the other.

coyotes_geek
07-14-2010, 05:11 PM
Quick question: Why hasn't there been any news whatsoever about Ryan Richards? All of us are assuming he'll be signed at some point, but it doesn't seem as if anyone from the Spurs has given an indication one way or the other.

My guess is that the Spurs are trying to talk Richards into being a draft and stash guy.

lurker23
07-14-2010, 05:15 PM
The Spurs are going to play the same ping-pong game between San Antonio and Austin with the last few roster spots that they do every year. Guys are going to get signed, cut, re-signed and cut again all season long. It's not like the Spurs are going to just pick a couple guys out of the Hairston/Gee/Temple/Jerrells group and then keep them on the roster for the entire season. In fact the Spurs are probably going to spend the middle portion of the season only carrying 13 guys just to save a few bucks.

So I think they're going to cut Temple and keep Hairston and Gee until they're far enough into the season where they've earned enough money to cover their contract guarantees. Then they'll both get cut. If the Spurs need a PG for a stretch, they'll sign Temple or Jerrells to unguaranteed contract and cut him when they don't need him anymore. Around March, the Spurs will pick their favorite two between Gee/Hairston/Temple/Jerrells/anyone else who caught their eye and carry them on the roster into the playoffs.

I'm not sure why, but I get the feeling that this year might be a bit different and they stick with 1-2 of these guys for the entire season. Maybe it's that the Spurs are so thin at the 3, so it makes sense for Hairston to finally get spot minutes, or maybe it's because Hill has been getting so many minutes at the 2, so it makes sense to have a 3rd PG. Either way, I think Hairston and/or Temple have a golden opportunity to actually stick around for 82 games.

The best theory I've heard is that the Spurs are waiting for all their major signings to come through before they make a decision one way or the other about Richards. Key factors include how much (if any) of the MLE they have left, and how close they are to the luxury tax. Both impact the length of Richards' contract and whether they can afford to sign him to an NBA deal this year at all.

Anonymous Cowherd
07-14-2010, 05:18 PM
I definitely think/assume the Spurs are going to make sure to remain under the luxury tax this season.

By my calculations we could sign Anderson, sign Richards to the minimum, have $2.1m to sign a back-up SF, and re-sign RJ on a contract which would start him on $7m - this would keep us just below the luxury tax level

Seventyniner
07-14-2010, 06:15 PM
My guess is that the Spurs are trying to talk Richards into being a draft and stash guy.

That would surprise me. I thought I had heard that Richards said he wanted to be in the US this season, which basically means the Toros.

TD 21
07-14-2010, 07:14 PM
Assuming the Spurs re-sign Jefferson, sign Richards and sign one of Bell, Jones, etc., I would expect, in addition to Jerrells, one of Hairston or Gee to be waived, with the edge going to Hairston in terms of making the team.

If they sign Bell, my guess is the roster looks like this to start the season...

Starters: PF- Duncan, SF- Jefferson, C- McDyess, SG- Bell, PG- Parker

Bench: SG- Ginobili, PG/SG- Hill, C/PF- Splitter, PF- Bonner, PF- Blair, SG- Anderson, SG/PG- Temple

Inactive/D-League: SG/SF- Hairston, PF/C- Richards

If they sign Jones, my guess is the roster looks like this to start the season...

Starters: PF- Duncan, SF- Jefferson, C- McDyess, SG- Hill, PG- Parker

Bench: SG- Ginobili, C/PF- Splitter, PF- Bonner, SF- Jones, PF- Blair, SG- Anderson, SG/PG- Temple

Inactive/D-League: SG/SF- Hairston, PF/C- Richards