PDA

View Full Version : Jazz Sign Raja Bell

TD 21
07-14-2010, 08:19 PM
Breaking news: Stein reports Bell is not going to meet with Bryant after all, because the Jazz have signed him for 3 years/$10 million.

ace3g
07-14-2010, 08:26 PM
STEIN_LINE_HQ

Just filed to ESPN.com: Raja Bell will not be meeting with Kobe Bryant after all ... because Bell has been snapped up Utah

STEIN_LINE_HQ

Sources say Jazz put hard press on Bell -- who has played for Jerry Sloan before -- and offered three-year deal worth nearly $10 million

ace3g
07-14-2010, 08:26 PM
2 minutes after that on twitter, lol

JMcDonald_SAEN

Word is Spurs, Lakers, Bulls after Raja Bell. James Jones considered fallback for #spurs only if Bell falls through.

DJ Mbenga
07-14-2010, 08:28 PM
Breaking news: Stein reports Bell is not going to meet with Bryant after all, because the Jazz have signed him for 3 years/$10 million.

looks like that is an offer

HarlemHeat37
07-14-2010, 08:28 PM
Good for Bell if he doesn't go to the Lakers..I don't really care if he comes here, and I don't care if he went there from a basketball-perspective, but it would be sad if he went to LA after Kobe embarrassed him..

ElNono
07-14-2010, 08:29 PM
STEIN_LINE_HQ

Sources say Jazz put hard press on Bell -- who has played for Jerry Sloan before -- and offered three-year deal worth nearly $10 million

With 8% increases, we can match that kind of money, right?

EDIT: Nevermind, we can't.

Ginnoobbllee
07-14-2010, 08:29 PM
Damn Jazz. Always a thorn in our side. Can only hope it's not true.
:bang

SenorSpur
07-14-2010, 08:30 PM
I'm sort of glad Bell went elsewhere. The Spurs need more length and a legit backup SF. Bell is not that. He's a SG.

I guess this puts down the possibility of Ronnie Brewer heading back to the Jazz. If only he were a better shooter.

ace3g
07-14-2010, 08:30 PM
I'm glad, I don't want Bell, I know it is getting repetitive, but I'm tired of these 6'5 players

ElNono
07-14-2010, 08:35 PM
Created the James Jones thread already... :lol

DJ Mbenga
looks like its a done deal. money over rings.

HarlemHeat37
Technically, it's Portland's fault, as usual :lol..

If they didn't overpay Matthews..

slick'81
07-14-2010, 08:36 PM
no way he was gonna play with kobe

mavsfan1000
07-14-2010, 08:36 PM
Karma is a bitch Kobe.

DesignatedT
07-14-2010, 08:39 PM
So he signed or they just offered?

slick'81
07-14-2010, 08:39 PM
so bell and mcgrady look to be gone now what do the spurs do

ace3g
07-14-2010, 08:41 PM
espn

Sources: Raja Bell spurns Los Angeles Lakers, headed to Utah Jazz - http://es.pn/dyKTPb

timvp
07-14-2010, 08:41 PM
Bell was really the last player on the market who fit well and was worth the full amount the Spurs have left under the MLE. As it turns out, the Spurs didn't have enough money for Bell, either.

Now it's down to James Jones, Rasual Butler or Matt Barnes.

angelbelow
07-14-2010, 08:42 PM
Lol would be hilarious for portland if they still matched matthrews.

Bruno
07-14-2010, 08:45 PM
Lol would be hilarious for portland if they still matched matthrews.

They can't since they need the full MLE to match him and they spend a part of it on Bell.

Matthews is a Blazer.

ohmwrecker
07-14-2010, 08:46 PM

I vote Butler.

angelbelow
07-14-2010, 08:47 PM
They can't since they need the full MLE to match him and they spend a part of it on Bell.

Matthews is a Blazer.

Ohh icic. For some reason I assumed they had bird rights.

yavozerb
07-14-2010, 08:47 PM
Bell was really the last player on the market who fit well and was worth the full amount the Spurs have left under the MLE. As it turns out, the Spurs didn't have enough money for Bell, either.

:bang,its almost down to bogans time...

slick'81
07-14-2010, 08:48 PM
:bang,its almost down to bogans time...

dear god no bonner was enough bogans would take some meds to dull the pain

Spursmania
07-14-2010, 08:49 PM
:bang

I knew it-Damn...

DazedAndConfused
07-14-2010, 08:53 PM
Wow stupid move for Utah but they have to do something I guess.

ace3g
07-14-2010, 08:57 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski WojYahooNBA

Agent for Wesley Matthews, Lance Young, tells Y!: "Kevin O'Connor told me that if (Bell) passes the physical, they won't match on Wesley."

ohmwrecker
07-14-2010, 09:00 PM
Not so fast, Miami.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NBA&id=473&line=137911&spln=1

SenorSpur
07-14-2010, 09:00 PM

Amen.

Since you brought that up, isn't this like the 3rd straight offseason that Portland has targeted a Jazz player with an expensive offer sheet? I guess they're trying to take down the division rival by stealing players guerilla-warfare style. :lol

ace3g
07-14-2010, 09:02 PM
Marc Stein STEIN_LINE_HQ

Sources say Raja Bell also had firm two-year offer from Chicago worth more than $8 million, but Jazz trumped Bulls, Lakers, etc. Link on way

SenorSpur
07-14-2010, 09:03 PM
Marc Stein STEIN_LINE_HQ

Sources say Raja Bell also had firm two-year offer from Chicago worth more than $8 million, but Jazz trumped Bulls, Lakers, etc. Link on way

Payback to the Bulls for signing Korver away from the Jazz.

timvp
07-14-2010, 09:04 PM
I wonder if the Spurs ever were really interested in Bell. We never heard Bell mention the Spurs and there hasn't been proof that the Spurs offered Bell a contract.

Bell to the Spurs might have been born off of Yahoo's speculation.

Danny.Zhu
07-14-2010, 09:06 PM

I hate Portland...

HarlemHeat37
07-14-2010, 09:07 PM
I wonder if the Spurs ever were really interested in Bell. We never heard Bell mention the Spurs and there hasn't been proof that the Spurs offered Bell a contract.

Well, it's what always happens with the Spurs, isn't it?..

It'll probably be Barnes or Butler, since nobody expects it:lol..

ohmwrecker
07-14-2010, 09:07 PM

It was mentioned on local SA news according to AirAlamo.

tomtom
07-14-2010, 09:08 PM
I'll welcome Matthews with open arms. We may be overpaying him but he looks legit

tdunk21
07-14-2010, 09:09 PM
damn utah......

ElNono
07-14-2010, 09:09 PM

I'm even wondering if the Spurs are interested in Jones at all.

McDonald has been getting fed with silly info from the FO all week long.

Maybe we're targeting Butler behind the smoke and mirrors?

ohmwrecker
07-14-2010, 09:14 PM
Maybe we're targeting Butler behind the smoke and mirrors?

I hope so. I think Jones is held together with tongue depressors and rubber bands.

ace3g
07-14-2010, 09:15 PM
SA Express got it from Woj at Yahoo

TD 21
07-14-2010, 09:18 PM

I think they were. As you and I both know, he was the best fit available, so why would they not have been? Plus, we know they've liked him for years and were interested in him as recently as last season.

It'll probably be Barnes, since nobody expects it:lol..

Barnes just doesn't seem like Spurs material. But he is tough and he plays with an edge, which this team could use. Also, his options are dwindling by the day. Apparently, he contacted the Warriors and even they said they weren't interested.

He's clearly not going to get the payday he hoped for/thought he would. If a potential contender like the Spurs offered him the remaining $2.365 million dollars remaining from their mid-level exception, I'd be surprised if he turned it down.

Since the Spurs can't get 3 and D in one now, which will they prioritize? That's what this comes down to. That and does Pop want to deal with a guy like Barnes and do they see him as Spurs material. If it's 3, it's Jones (who's also more Spurs material than Barnes); if it's D, it's Barnes.

I don't like Barnes as a fit, but to be fair, the Spurs have Anderson to play the role Jones would (at least offensively), but they don't have anyone to play the role Barnes would defensively, unless they think Hairston could be that guy. But with them clearly targeting another wing, it's clear they don't think that, because one more wing addition and Hairston will be hard pressed to make the active roster.

toki9
07-14-2010, 09:22 PM

It'll probably be Barnes or Butler, since nobody expects it:lol..

I thought Barnes said a few years back that he didn't want to be in San Antonio...anybody else remember this? In any case, not so sure about the guy...he seems like a bit of knucklehead...

HarlemHeat37
07-14-2010, 09:22 PM
Barnes just doesn't seem like Spurs material. But he is tough and he plays with an edge, which this team could use. Also, his options are dwindling by the day. Apparently, he contacted the Warriors and even they said they weren't interested.

He's clearly not going to get the payday he hoped for/thought he would. If a potential contender like the Spurs offered him the remaining $2.365 million dollars remaining from their mid-level exception, I'd be surprised if he turned it down.

Since the Spurs can't get 3 and D in one now, which will they prioritize? That's what this comes down to. That and does Pop want to deal with a guy like Barnes and do they see him as Spurs material. If it's 3, it's Jones (who's also more Spurs material than Barnes); if it's D, it's Barnes.

I don't like Barnes as a fit, but to be fair, the Spurs have Anderson to play the role Jones would (at least offensively), but they don't have anyone to play the role Barnes would defensively, unless they think Hairston could be that guy. But with them clearly targeting another wing, it's clear they don't think that, because one more wing addition and Hairston will be hard pressed to make the active roster.

I tend to agree, but none of us know for sure if the Spurs are even actually targeting anybody..this happens every off-season, where the Spurs are rumored to be going after everybody..

If they sign somebody, I would agree that they don't have that much confidence in Hairston and Gee, or Pop is trying to play it safe with a veteran, as he always does..

HarlemHeat37
07-14-2010, 09:23 PM
I don't actually believe Barnes will be a Spur, I was just saying it's usually the guy you don't expect..

I would be shocked if Barnes is a Spur, he doesn't fit at all from a character standpoint..

MaNu4Tres
07-14-2010, 09:31 PM
Barnes won't be a Spur.

It will likely be Jones. IMO

gospursgojas
07-14-2010, 09:32 PM
Man are we gonna get anyone new this season?

gospursgojas
07-14-2010, 09:32 PM
Im ok with James Jones

bigdog
07-14-2010, 09:34 PM
On to the next one. Get Jones, Butler, or Barnes.

TD 21
07-14-2010, 09:34 PM
The thing with Jones is he'd be essentially a duplicate of Anderson. I know he's a proven three point shooter at this level, longer and more versatile defensively, but he's not the type of defender you put on the Bryant's and Wade's of the world. Also, he doesn't fit with getting younger and more athletic. Granted, Bell wouldn't have either, but he'd have filled a role. With Jones, the Spurs might already have his role filled with Anderson and he might already be better than Jones.

They've got a decision to make. Sign Jones and sure, they'll be a longer team with better three point shooting, but they won't be all that more athletic (at least in the rotation) and they won't have anyone to guard explosive wing scorers. But if they forgo signing Jones, they'll be counting solely on young, unproven players to fill this role and unfortunately, both can do one but not the other (meaning Anderson = 3; Hairston = D).

manu the best
07-14-2010, 09:35 PM
.. fuck .. i wanted bell to come to san antonio ..

HarlemHeat37
07-14-2010, 09:36 PM
I understand signing Raja Bell for his experience, but getting a guy like James Jones for his experience doesn't really make any sense..

I'd rather just stick with what the Spurs have over Jones..

arodz
07-14-2010, 09:43 PM
Bell goes to Utah? Well, good luck with that.

http://the-bandys.net/jayme/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/stupid_bush.jpg

MaNu4Tres
07-14-2010, 09:46 PM
Barnes has had plenty of opportunities to join the Spurs in free agent workouts in San Antonio over the past 8 seasons.

Word is Popovich is not high on Barnes or his character, which makes sense with how many times the Spurs have passed on him. Which makes me believe Barnes is a far-fetched scenario.

That being said Jones is the likely choice.

Although, if Spurs are set on adding another wing and if Jones is their best option via free agency, I'd call Portland and see what it would take to pry the expendable Rudy Fernandez away. Is he a defensive monster? Of course not. But he is the better player.

TD 21
07-14-2010, 09:57 PM
I understand signing Raja Bell for his experience, but getting a guy like James Jones for his experience doesn't really make any sense..

Same. I'd like to have a guy like Jones for insurances purposes more than anything, but I imagine he's not signing with the Spurs nor would the Spurs sign him to be the 12th man/inactive and to wait and see how Anderson and Hairston are playing. If he signs, he's probably the 9th or 10th man instantly, which means he's in the rotation and they're on the outs.

Because the Spurs can pay him more and offer him a greater role most likely, he'd probably sign with the Spurs over re-signing with the Heat, but in the event he re-signs with the Heat, the Spurs might just give up on adding another wing. No sense in adding one just for the sake of it. Clearly, they need specifics and if they can obtain both of those specifics in one player, great, but if not, it doesn't make sense to bury Anderson and Hairston for a minimal veteran.

ducks
07-14-2010, 10:00 PM
Barnes has had plenty of opportunities to join the Spurs in free agent workouts in San Antonio over the past 8 seasons.

Word is Popovich is not high on Barnes or his character, which makes sense with how many times the Spurs have passed on him. Which makes me believe Barnes is a far-fetched scenario.

That being said Jones is the likely choice.

Although, if Spurs are set on adding another wing and if Jones is their best option via free agency, I'd call Portland and see what it would take to pry the expendable Rudy Fernandez away. Is he a defensive monster? Of course not. But he is the better player.

pop had a run in with his agent

dbestpro
07-14-2010, 10:08 PM
Bell is long on years and short on size for the small forward slot for the Spurs. I liked the Bell of the past, but I do not feel he would have been a good fit this time around.

Solid D
07-14-2010, 10:16 PM
http://static.flickr.com/54/150599120_6a482af1e7_m.jpg

8FOR!3
07-14-2010, 10:22 PM
Good, I didn't want him because of his lack of size and it's good to see LA didn't get him, so no worries here. It looks like we're getting James Jones though. I'd rather see Rasual Butler, hell I'd much rather see Matt Barnes but let's be honest...who would've complained about a 6'8 small forward who can shoot the three and isn't considered necessarily a liability on defense last year? Exactly.

Baseline
07-14-2010, 10:25 PM
LA talk radio has been spewing all day long that Bryant was going to tell Bell to come to LA, like it was a done deal, and that guys always do what Bryant says.

The truth is, ain't nobody likes K. Bryant but Laker fans.

The man's wife doesn't even like him.

baseline bum
07-14-2010, 10:27 PM
Crap. So now the best case scenario is seeing Dick guarding Kobe? I would bitch about matching up with LeBron and Wade too, but unless the big one hits SoCal while the Thunder are in town, the Spurs won't have to worry about those mismatches anyway.

toki9
07-14-2010, 10:37 PM
pop had a run in with his agent

What was the story?

Nathan89
07-14-2010, 11:00 PM

Stick with what we have are you serious. What we have is not even going to make us competitive. We need Jones for his size and his three point shot. I hope that I never see anyone like Hairston,Bogans, and Udoka in a spurs jersey ever again. Some how the spurs attract the worst shooter in the league year after year and here you wanting us to stick with it. Why are we going to stick with players that we know do not help us. I hate when I see defenders giving spurs sorry shooters 12ft space and they still cant do anything.

Russ
07-14-2010, 11:22 PM
dear god no bonner was enough bogans would take some meds to dull the pain

Question for the salary experts -- does Bonner's new contract reduce the amount of money the Spurs can offer to FAs?

I have no problem with Bonner taking a roster spot -- he could be a useful situational player.

But if his contract cuts in to the Spurs' ability to get other players . . . :wow

EricB
07-14-2010, 11:26 PM
:lol at sticking with what we have. Yeah Malik Hairston is NBA starting small forward material.

Thompson
07-14-2010, 11:29 PM
Re-sign Jefferson and get Brewer (have him work with Chip for the rest of the summer to fix his screwed up shooting mechanics).

AFBlue
07-14-2010, 11:30 PM
Question for the salary experts -- does Bonner's new contract reduce the amount of money the Spurs can offer to FAs?

I have no problem with Bonner taking a roster spot -- he could be a useful situational player.

But if his contract cuts in to the Spurs' ability to get other players . . . :wow

No...Spurs held his bird rights and thus did not have to dip into their MLE to re-sign Bonner.

AFBlue
07-14-2010, 11:31 PM
Re-sign Jefferson and get Brewer (have him work with Chip for the rest of the summer to fix his screwed up shooting mechanics).

No way Brewer signs for $2.4M. He's going to get a legit offer before long.

Sisk
07-14-2010, 11:31 PM
looks like its a done deal. money over rings.

HarlemHeat37
07-14-2010, 11:36 PM
:lol at sticking with what we have. Yeah Malik Hairston is NBA starting small forward material.

Are you saying Butler or James Jones are starter material?..

bigdog
07-14-2010, 11:38 PM
Are you saying Butler or James Jones are starter material?..

Both of those guys can defend decently(Hairston does too), but they are way better shooters than Hairston, so IMO, they are more starting quality than Hairston will ever be (unless he shows any sign of a jumpshot.)

Obstructed_View
07-14-2010, 11:41 PM

You're saying Keith Bogans was? How is Hairston not an upgrade from that? :lol

Spursfanfromafar
07-14-2010, 11:42 PM
Wrong thread. But how bad is Devean George? I didn't see him in Timvp's list of SFs, even under those "scraping the barrel". Is he that run down and useless? His stats for the GSW weren't totally bad last year, weren't they? Decent FG and 3FG%. Not bad perhaps for a minimum contract?

bigdog
07-14-2010, 11:43 PM
Wrong thread. But how bad is Devean George? I didn't see him in Timvp's list of SFs, even under those "scraping the barrel". Is he that run down and useless? His stats for the GSW weren't totally bad last year, weren't they? Decent FG and 3FG%. Not bad perhaps for a minimum contract?

George can't defend to save his life. He can still shoot(somewhat), but he is slower than he already was when he was in his "prime".

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-15-2010, 12:12 AM
So when do the trade rumors start - Bonner for Bell?

crc21209
07-15-2010, 12:34 AM
Well if I had a choice it would be:

1. Brewer
2. J. Jones
3. Butler
4. Barnes

In that order....

TJastal
07-15-2010, 12:54 AM
I'm not buying this "specialist" argument. For a starter I'd much prefer an all around talented player like Matt Barnes. We'd get a good defender, rebounder, ball handler, slasher, and finisher who can run the break and score in a variety of ways. Plus he's a "tough guy" who doesn't back down from opponents, no matter who they are. Hard to believe some fickle spurs fans are calling this being a "headcase" and "shithead".

And let's not forget Barnes shot almost 35% from long range just 2 years ago for PHO which isn't too bad. If he can duplicate that he'd be good enough in that dept.

Barnes also is very versatile. He can defend 2's, 3's, & 4's. I don't know how versatile James Jones is defensively but from the comments on this thread it doesn't sound like it.

I would be willing to bet if the spurs picked up Matt Barnes 99.9% of the people bitching about him on this forum would suddenly run out and purchase Matt Barnes' jearsy's. :D

Nathan89
07-15-2010, 12:58 AM
We do not need a all around sf, we just need one that can defend and shoot threes. Unfortunately, we cant get that.

tuncaboylu
07-15-2010, 01:10 AM
Bring James Jones before another team catching up. Time is running.

And the dudes who want Brewer. Do you really think that we can play with a SF who shoots %25 3 pointer? He's a terrible shooter and we need a guy who can shoot 3 from corners.

chrisrod2008
07-15-2010, 09:49 AM
Jazz Land Raja Bell On $10M Deal (http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/68160/20100714/jazz_land_raja_bell_on_$10m_deal/)

So much for that..........

Jul 14, 2010 10:15 PM EST
http://www.realgm.com/images/nba/4.2/profiles/photos/2006/Bell_Raja_cha.jpg Raja Bell has agreed to a three-year, $10 million deal with the Jazz.
The Lakers and Bulls were also interested in Bell.