PDA

View Full Version : Beavis and Butthead to return???

Cant_Be_Faded
07-14-2010, 09:34 PM
Not sure what to think about this. Especially the music video aspect.

http://www.buddytv.com/articles/king-of-the-hill/beavis-and-butt-head-back-on-m-37578.aspx

It's official: We can add Beavis and Butt-head to the list of resurrected TV cartoon comedies, alongside the recently revived Futurama and Family Guy.

The news that MTV and Mike Judge are planning all-new adventures for our two favorite stupid slackers is exciting, because the show was awesome, but also surprising, given that B and B got canceled all the way back in 1997.

Why the revival, 13 years, a King of the Hill, one Office Space and an Extract later? If the New York Post is to be believed, the sheer quality of Judge's Beavis and Butt-head work, and the promise of nostalgia-ratings (and it IS a promise, at least from me), aren't the only reasons MTV is bringing the high-school anti-heroes back to life. The move is also a means of returning to the network's roots:

"The return of Beavis and Butt-head will be a backdoor means for MTV to return to showing music videos -- something the network was founded upon but abandoned in the last decade to make room for popular reality shows like Laguna Beach, The Hills and Jersey Shore."

Music? On the Music Television Network? No. WAY!

Neither MTV nor Judge is spilling much about the new Beavis and Butt-head episodes, but we do know this: When B and B return, the metal-loving goons will still be in high school, but instead of lampooning 90's pop culture and bands, they'll "lob their snarky comments at more current targets like Lady Gaga."

Does that mean they'll trade in their Metallica and AC/DC t-shirts for a couple of more topical logos? We hope not. We want a revival, not a total revamping. You better not be a bunch of bungholes about this, MTV.

A little taste of the way things used to be:

lil'mo
07-14-2010, 09:36 PM
oh dude, my chode would straight up explode :smchode

Cant_Be_Faded
07-14-2010, 09:38 PM
Still...beavis and butthead watching Lady Gaga and Black Eyes Peas and Drake videos?

For every video they made fun of they played a good one....and the pool of good ones is incredibly thin.

CuckingFunt
07-14-2010, 09:39 PM
Awesome if they do it right, heartbreaking if they don't. Half the fun of the old episodes was the use of obscure videos, but I have a hard time believing MTV would let them do that these days.

baseline bum
07-14-2010, 10:19 PM
Awesome if they do it right, heartbreaking if they don't. Half the fun of the old episodes was the use of obscure videos, but I have a hard time believing MTV would let them do that these days.

:lol @ the video where they said hey, that's the guy from all my uncle's movies! when Ron Jeremy was in it or the Carmen Electra video they watched. No way they could do the show without those. They need to make an episode where they almost score with Lolita & Tanqueray too.

Spursfan092120
07-14-2010, 10:47 PM
One of the best episodes...lol

UOejUGb5QDU

Spursfan092120
07-14-2010, 10:57 PM
Another report...looking like it's real..

'Beavis and Butt-head" -- the show that celebrated the slacker way of life and helped make MTV (http://www.nypost.com/t/MTV)into a network that did more than just play music videos -- is coming back.
The move to resurrect the hugely popular 1990s animated anti-heroes has been rumored for several days. But yesterday, sources at MTV confirmed that a new batch of "Beavis and Butt-head" episodes are in the works.
The new series would keep Beavis and Butt-head in their perpetual high-school state, but it would be updated so that the pals -- who obsessively watch music videos on a battered TV set -- could lob their snarky comments at more current targets like Lady Gaga.

http://www.nypost.com/rw/nypost/2010/07/14/entertainment/photos_stories/beavis_butthead--300x300.jpg
SCORE!: MTV is going back into the "Beavis and Butt-head" business with the first new episodes in 13 years.

The show's minimalist animated style is also expected to remain intact.
The return of "Beavis and Butt-head" will be a backdoor means for MTV to return to showing music videos -- something the network was founded upon but abandoned in the last decade to make room for popular reality shows like "Laguna Beach," "The Hills" and "Jersey Shore."
"Beavis and Butt-head," which premiered in 1993, began as an animated short called "Frog Baseball," which aired on MTV's "Liquid Television."
The basic plotline revolved around two shorts-wearing, spectacularly immature teenage pals whose banter was delivered against the backbeat of their constant idiotic laughter.
Series creator Mike Judge, who's also creating the new episodes, voiced both characters.
The guys worked at a fast-food joint and were always out to "score" with "chicks" when they weren't sitting on a ratty couch watching music videos.
Beavis, the blond half, usually wore a Metallica (http://www.nypost.com/t/Metallica)T-shirt and would morph into his crazed, gibberish-spewing alter-ego, "Cornholio," when he ingested too much sugar.
Butt-head was the "cooler" of the two. He usually wore an AC/DC (http://www.nypost.com/t/AC/DC)T-shirt and often picked on Beavis in much the same way Moe would slap around Curly, Larry and Shemp on "The Three Stooges."
The duo was so successful they were spun off into a 1996 big-screen movie, "Beavis and Butt-head Do America" and a marketing juggernaut of T-shirts and character trinkets.
A recurring character on the show, high-school classmate Daria (whom they called "Diarrhea"), eventually got her own MTV series.
After MTV canceled "Beavis and Butt-head" in 1997, Judge went on to create "King of the Hill" for Fox.
He also wrote the cult-classic movie comedy "Office Space" and last year's big-screen movie "Extract."
MTV officials had no comment yesterday.
Judge is "not commenting at this time," his publicist said.

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/tv/they_re_back_PZVN8lcKHQYVIYx3xAJRtM

Stringer_Bell
07-14-2010, 11:16 PM
This could be an epic show of genius or display of crap-titude. Imagine B&B criticizing generic shitty music like all the popular emo/dance/rap...but also expose some obscure music that turns out to be amazing. It could save a generation of kids that at this point, on their current path, will grow up to throw this entire country away for Twilight, Miley Cyrus, and more shitty 80s film remakes.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-14-2010, 11:28 PM
I don't see Mike Judge letting his greatest most timeless creation go to shit, but then again...we're talking MTV post 1999 here.

BruceBowenFan
07-15-2010, 12:08 AM
I cannot wait, I really hope they don't change their tshirts.

mavsfan1000
07-15-2010, 12:42 AM
Stick with the formula that made it work. Metal shirts and hopefully it isn't that much different vocally or in the creativity.

baseline bum
07-15-2010, 01:07 AM
I don't see Mike Judge letting his greatest most timeless creation go to shit, but then again...we're talking MTV post 1999 here.

1999? MTV, aside from Beavis & Butthead, went to hell about 1992.

Jacob1983
07-15-2010, 02:48 AM
Music videos on MTV? WTF?

howbouthemspurs
07-15-2010, 03:00 AM
I think it will be awesome!!!

CuckingFunt
07-15-2010, 08:53 AM
1999? MTV, aside from Beavis & Butthead, went to hell about 1992.

I'll give them credit for being watchable for a bit longer than that. Maybe not good, but watchable.

The first few seasons of "The Real World," before its contrivances became so painfully obvious, were legitimately interesting/entertaining. Liquid Television was unique and generally worth watching. And for a few years, they actually managed to balance music and non-music programming in an okay way.

About 1994-95, shortly before they launched MTV2, was when it really became unbearable. With the exception of 1997, when they were first trying to fight the backlash from not playing music. I remember they aired a block of two or three hours of MTV2 every afternoon (a moment of silence for MTV2's original format of commercial-free, 24/7, genre mixing, and obscure music videos), a show called "12 Angry Viewers" that was specifically aimed at getting otherwise unknown videos into heavy rotation, and "MTV Live," which had a solid few months of being a good show with good information before Carson Daly showed up and it started to morph into TRL.

The start of the Carson Daly years is what signaled the end of me watching MTV with any regularity. VJs who were unattractive but actually knew music were almost wholesale replaced by pretty dumbasses, and you just knew what was coming.

Headset Vince
07-15-2010, 08:59 AM
I'm waitin' for a role in the movie version which you know damn well is comin'

tlongII
07-15-2010, 09:22 AM
eh hehehehehehehehehehehe eh hehehehehehehehehe

ididnotnothat
07-15-2010, 09:27 AM
More proof that new ideas are slim and far between.

xellos88330
07-15-2010, 09:48 AM
I never watch MTV. I feel like my brain is decomposing every time I even hear about the channel.

Drachen
07-15-2010, 09:51 AM

Yeah, do you think Edie Brickell and the new bohemians would even catch a whiff of air time in today's MTV? (huh huh, "Deep")

Meanwhile, there better be some GWAR! Oh and the shirts must stay the same. This just made my day, I have already texted this to a few people.

Drachen
07-15-2010, 09:55 AM
I'll give them credit for being watchable for a bit longer than that. Maybe not good, but watchable.

The first few seasons of "The Real World," before its contrivances became so painfully obvious, were legitimately interesting/entertaining. Liquid Television was unique and generally worth watching. And for a few years, they actually managed to balance music and non-music programming in an okay way.

About 1994-95, shortly before they launched MTV2, was when it really became unbearable. With the exception of 1997, when they were first trying to fight the backlash from not playing music. I remember they aired a block of two or three hours of MTV2 every afternoon (a moment of silence for MTV2's original format of commercial-free, 24/7, genre mixing, and obscure music videos), a show called "12 Angry Viewers" that was specifically aimed at getting otherwise unknown videos into heavy rotation, and "MTV Live," which had a solid few months of being a good show with good information before Carson Daly showed up and it started to morph into TRL.

The start of the Carson Daly years is what signaled the end of me watching MTV with any regularity. VJs who were unattractive but actually knew music were almost wholesale replaced by pretty dumbasses, and you just knew what was coming.

Duff was hot!

baseline bum
07-15-2010, 02:02 PM

MTV was dead to me once Yo MTV Raps got relegated to one day a week and Fab 5 Freddy was sent packing in favor of boring Ed Lover & fatass Dr. Dre. Then a couple of years later they just pulled the plug completely and replaced it with some fucked up R&B show that only played one of two rap videos an hour. Thankfully BET stepped to the plate with Rap City.

MsMcGillyCutty
07-15-2010, 02:09 PM
I'm waitin' for a role in the movie version which you know damn well is comin'

:lol

Cant_Be_Faded
07-15-2010, 08:49 PM

Awesome recall there. yeah I was wrong about 1999, I meant around this era. Carson Daly/TRL was the shark-jumping for the network if there ever was one. I enjoyed 12 angry viewers, especially when Vanilla Ice went ape shit when they destroyed his video.

CuckingFunt
07-15-2010, 09:02 PM
I enjoyed 12 angry viewers, especially when Vanilla Ice went ape shit when they destroyed his video.

That was different. That was a special in which Jon Stewart, Janeane Garofalo, Chris Kattan, and Dennis Leary made snarky comments about 25 videos considered lame enough to be taken out of MTV's rotation forever. Aired in 1999, I think, and was absolutely hilarious. It occurs to me I actually still have this on VHS somewhere, even though I no longer own a VCR.

12 Angry Viewers was hosted by Jancee Dunn and had people off the street (? - can't remember where they came from, but they were nobodies) voting on obscure/unknown videos to determine which one would get thrown into heavy rotation.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-15-2010, 09:06 PM
That was different. That was a special in which Jon Stewart, Janeane Garofalo, Chris Kattan, and Dennis Leary made snarky comments about 25 videos considered lame enough to be taken out of MTV's rotation forever. Aired in 1999, I think, and was absolutely hilarious. It occurs to me I actually still have this on VHS somewhere, even though I no longer own a VCR.

12 Angry Viewers was hosted by Jancee Dunn and had people off the street (? - can't remember where they came from, but they were nobodies) voting on obscure/unknown videos to determine which one would get thrown into heavy rotation.

Damn owned again. Yeah youre right once more. I liked both. LOL @ early black-haired nubile mtv Jon Stewart

CuckingFunt
07-15-2010, 09:07 PM
Jon Stewart was both hilarious and adorable on MTV.

Still is, so not a huge surprise, but especially then.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-15-2010, 09:23 PM
I know but he always seemed to try too hard back then

like you could tell he knew he had to be on his A game to make his bread

ididnotnothat
07-15-2010, 09:25 PM

As intellectual as you seem to be you also seem to like some stupid stuff as well.

CuckingFunt
07-15-2010, 09:30 PM
As intellectual as you seem to be you also seem to like some stupid stuff as well.

Life would be pretty boring if you couldn't have fun with the dumb stuff.

jimo2305
07-15-2010, 09:39 PM
i honestly think this is a bad idea..

create a spinoff.. do not tarnish the legendary series..

it died a great death.. don't bring it back on to this poor excuse of an MTV channel nowadays..

Cant_Be_Faded
07-15-2010, 09:44 PM
create a spinoff.. do not tarnish the legendary series..

So you want them to revive Daria?

BTW I thought the "death" of b&b sucked ass and was totally rushed and forced. A fucking highlight reel for a final episode? It was weak sauce man.

The best part of the final episode was the "reruns" on their tv throughout the clips, and the actual new footage at the end when McDicker gets a heart attack.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-15-2010, 11:18 PM
I thought about this more and its a bad idea with the music video format.

They had an entire 80's pool of songs to make fun of, and divided early 90's with non sequitur and worship.

If they include music videos now, logically they will just scoff only but it won't work. They used to go ape shit over good shit like Snoop, GWAR, Pantera.

Problem also is they don't make real music videos anymore. The entire function of the music video has changed.

They used to watch that Rolling Stones video where they are giant sized crushing building, and Beavis would talk about people making him bigger, then shrinking him and keeping his dick the same size. They went on about this the whole video.

How does shit like this work when Drake is showing his degrassi face the entire video?

They're gonna have to dig into un-seen videos we have never heard of to make this work.

mavs>spurs2
07-15-2010, 11:25 PM
I thought about this more and its a bad idea with the music video format.

They had an entire 80's pool of songs to make fun of, and divided early 90's with non sequitur and worship.

If they include music videos now, logically they will just scoff only but it won't work. They used to go ape shit over good shit like Snoop, GWAR, Pantera.

Problem also is they don't make real music videos anymore. The entire function of the music video has changed.

They used to watch that Rolling Stones video where they are giant sized crushing building, and Beavis would talk about people making him bigger, then shrinking him and keeping his dick the same size. They went on about this the whole video.

How does shit like this work when Drake is showing his degrassi face the entire video?

They're gonna have to dig into un-seen videos we have never heard of to make this work.

Damn you're putting way too much thought into this

phyzik
07-16-2010, 02:13 AM
Great.... Just when my friends finally stopped comparing me to Beavis. :lol

I AM THE GREAT CORNHOLIO!!!! :lmao

CubanSucks
07-16-2010, 04:57 AM

I love Beavis and Butthead but...

King of the Hill > Beavis and Butthead

Spursfan092120
07-16-2010, 02:05 PM
I love Beavis and Butthead but...

King of the Hill > Beavis and Butthead
http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/strollerderby/2008/11/01-07/psycho_l.jpg

bostonguy
07-16-2010, 02:17 PM
I get tired of the constant music videos. 1 per episode if anything should be the limit. It gets very irritating and takes the direction of the episode off track.

Drachen
07-16-2010, 04:02 PM
I think the music videos were the best part of the show.

CubanSucks
07-16-2010, 05:17 PM
http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/strollerderby/2008/11/01-07/psycho_l.jpg

You can't argue differently?

crc21209
07-16-2010, 11:59 PM
Fuck yeah!!!! :tu. One of my favorite shows of all-time when I was growing up...