PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else think this has been a craptastic offseason?

DazedAndConfused
07-14-2010, 09:39 PM
What was supposed to be the biggest off season in the history NBA has been kind of a dud to me.

It would have been FAR more exciting to see Lebron join the Bulls or the Knicks and another contender to the mix in the EC.

I dunno, I feel like all the hype has been short-lived.

baseline bum
07-14-2010, 09:45 PM
What was supposed to be the biggest off season in the history NBA has been kind of a dud to me.

It would have been FAR more exciting to see Lebron join the Bulls or the Knicks and another contender to the mix in the EC.

LeBron joining the Heat didn't add another contender to the mix in the EC? :sleep

eyeh8u
07-14-2010, 10:59 PM
scared lakerfan

DazedAndConfused
07-14-2010, 11:13 PM
I dunno, I was expecting more from the Big 3 free agents. They all just signed at once to the same fucking time. Pretty anti-climactic if you ask me.

SomeCallMeTim
07-14-2010, 11:23 PM

You've gotta be kidding me. This has been a historic offseason, unprecedented. Pretty exciting and interesting IMO.

From a competitive balance standpoint, would've been better for LeBron to head elsewhere, but we're about to witness the biggest chemistry/talent experiment in NBA history.

A_Duke
07-15-2010, 09:15 AM
This has easily the most memorable off season I have witnessed. What other offseason can you think of that trumps this one? KG and Ray Allen to Boston? Shaq to LA? Seriously, the world can't wait to see what this juggernaught of a team can do.
:lobt:

hater
07-15-2010, 09:32 AM
because Lakers didn't get a top player through collusion again?

picc84
07-15-2010, 09:32 AM
On the contrary, its been the most entertaining offseason in years. If not for Lebron-gate this summer would have been very boring sports-wise.

picc84
07-15-2010, 09:37 AM
because Lakers didn't get a top player through collusion again?

We do that during the regular season. The offseason is reserved for watching you squirm after we hoist another trophy.

07-15-2010, 02:53 PM
um anti-climatic would be all three stars re-signing with their respective teams. this is the exact opposite. i predict this is the start of a new NBA era. new teams, new contenders, the young teams (chicago and thunder) finally reaching top four status in their conferences. pistons long faded away, with duncan and the spurs not far behind. they are replaced by a brief moment of boston/laker dominance.

then of course the 2010 free agency shakeup of teams. lots of changes and some teams (heat, maybe bulls) transformed instantly to top playoff contenders while other perennial powers like the suns fade just a little bit more. others, like the mavs and spurs are struggling to plug the large number of holes in their sinking ships. this will be the start of the heat era with the lakers as the only remaining credible challenger. only question mark remains are the magic, who are like the 2006 mavs of the east. they are loaded with talent, still relatively young, but can't seem to pull it together.

Basketballgirl25
07-15-2010, 04:52 PM
well, if was exciting till after Lebron said where he was going then it just got lame as heck, but then again Lebron was the only one I want to find out where he was going once that's over nothing interesting at all and life to move on

Darrin
07-15-2010, 08:09 PM
I think this offseason has been plenty exciting. We've seen Kevin Durant commit to the Oklahoma City Thunder. He's destined to be the best player Oklahoma has ever seen. We've had a collection of talent emerge in Miami that may be unprecedented. We've had the debate over whether free agents should have enough power to position themselves to be on some kind of super team. The show isn't over as Udonis Haslem and Mike Miller have signed on the dotted line. The Heat have 3 draft picks, and six other players on the roster. They still have 4-5 guys to fill out their roster. This will be the test of Pat Riley as he puts the pieces around these big guys to see if they can win a Championship next season.

Chicago has gotten stronger by signing Carlos Boozer, JJ Redick, Kyle Korver, and currently are targeting Josh Howard. And Utah turned right around and traded nothing to Minnesota for Al Jefferson to replace Boozer. Boston kept themselves intact and added an aging Jermaine O'Neal to replace Rasheed Wallace. Dallas made headlines overspending to keep Brendan Haywood and trading for Tyson Chandler. The Lakers have finally hired a Derek Fisher replacement in Steve Blake, although Fisher flirted with Miami before going back to the Lakers.

We've watched a great crop of rookies (John Wall, Evan Turner, Derrick Favors, Wesley Johnson and Demarcus Cousins) go to quality teams that could make vast improvements next season. Cousins will be in a frontcourt with Jason Thompson and Samuel Dalembert giving the Kings size and let's not forget the reigning Rookie of the Year, Tyreke Evans.

Minnesota is especially interesting to me. Many people believe that David Kahn has done a bad job. I don't think he has.

Kevin Love / Darko Milicic
Michael Beasley
Wesley Johnson / Corey Brewer
Martell Webster
Johnny Flynn / Luke Ridnour

Martell Webster and Jerome Beasley (for all his flaws) are proven commodities in the NBA. He removed the cap hit of Al Jefferson, who really did nothing for them in his two seasons in Minnesota. He brought in Wesley Johnson, a more athletic and talented Tayshaun Prince. They could get Ricky Rubio this summer or next. They just added Luke Ridnour. This team is young, cap-friendly, and if everything breaks their way, could be like the Oklahoma City Thunder of two years ago.

New Jersey has fizzled, signing a bunch of role players.

After years of flirting with the possibility of losing him, the Phoenix Suns finally got rid of Amar'e Stoudemire. They got Anthony Randolph, Kelenna Azubuike, and Andrew Rautins to play alongside Stoudemire in New York. Not a bad offseason, but not a great one for the Knicks. The Suns probably got a younger Grant Hill in Hedo Turkoglu.

Milwaukee is a sleeper team, too.

They added Corey Maggette, Drew Gooden, and Chris Douglas-Roberts to the returning Andrew Bogut, Brandon Jennings, Michael Redd, Ersan Illaysova, Mbah a Muote, and Carlos Delfino. This team is fastly becoming one of my favorite mid-level teams in the East.

The Spurs brought over Tiago Splitter. Denver strengthened their frontcourt with Shelden Williams and Al Harrington.

Go back and look at the names moved, the shifts in team powers in each Conference, and the potential shifts (Oklahoma City, Boston, and Atlanta) that didn't happen. Miami and Chicago were 41-win teams a year ago. In a couple of weeks they went to the top of the Conference and look to stay there for awhile. The Knicks might sniff the postseason. The Bucks strengthened themselves and the young teams surrounding the top-picks in this year's draft look to be competitive.

It's all set up for one hell of a season. Why are you complaining?

TE
07-15-2010, 08:51 PM
I think this offseason has been plenty exciting. We've seen Kevin Durant commit to the Oklahoma City Thunder. He's destined to be the best player Oklahoma has ever seen. We've had a collection of talent emerge in Miami that may be unprecedented. We've had the debate over whether free agents should have enough power to position themselves to be on some kind of super team. The show isn't over as Udonis Haslem and Mike Miller have signed on the dotted line. The Heat have 3 draft picks, and six other players on the roster. They still have 4-5 guys to fill out their roster. This will be the test of Pat Riley as he puts the pieces around these big guys to see if they can win a Championship next season.

Chicago has gotten stronger by signing Carlos Boozer, JJ Redick, Kyle Korver, and currently are targeting Josh Howard. And Utah turned right around and traded nothing to Minnesota for Al Jefferson to replace Boozer. Boston kept themselves intact and added an aging Jermaine O'Neal to replace Rasheed Wallace. Dallas made headlines overspending to keep Brendan Haywood and trading for Tyson Chandler. The Lakers have finally hired a Derek Fisher replacement in Steve Blake, although Fisher flirted with Miami before going back to the Lakers.

We've watched a great crop of rookies (John Wall, Evan Turner, Derrick Favors, Wesley Johnson and Demarcus Cousins) go to quality teams that could make vast improvements next season. Cousins will be in a frontcourt with Jason Thompson and Samuel Dalembert giving the Kings size and let's not forget the reigning Rookie of the Year, Tyreke Evans.

Minnesota is especially interesting to me. Many people believe that David Kahn has done a bad job. I don't think he has.

Kevin Love / Darko Milicic
Michael Beasley
Wesley Johnson / Corey Brewer
Martell Webster
Johnny Flynn / Luke Ridnour

Martell Webster and Jerome Beasley (for all his flaws) are proven commodities in the NBA. He removed the cap hit of Al Jefferson, who really did nothing for them in his two seasons in Minnesota. He brought in Wesley Johnson, a more athletic and talented Tayshaun Prince. They could get Ricky Rubio this summer or next. They just added Luke Ridnour. This team is young, cap-friendly, and if everything breaks their way, could be like the Oklahoma City Thunder of two years ago.

New Jersey has fizzled, signing a bunch of role players.

After years of flirting with the possibility of losing him, the Phoenix Suns finally got rid of Amar'e Stoudemire. They got Anthony Randolph, Kelenna Azubuike, and Andrew Rautins to play alongside Stoudemire in New York. Not a bad offseason, but not a great one for the Knicks. The Suns probably got a younger Grant Hill in Hedo Turkoglu.

Milwaukee is a sleeper team, too.

They added Corey Maggette, Drew Gooden, and Chris Douglas-Roberts to the returning Andrew Bogut, Brandon Jennings, Michael Redd, Ersan Illaysova, Mbah a Muote, and Carlos Delfino. This team is fastly becoming one of my favorite mid-level teams in the East.

The Spurs brought over Tiago Splitter. Denver strengthened their frontcourt with Shelden Williams and Al Harrington.

Go back and look at the names moved, the shifts in team powers in each Conference, and the potential shifts (Oklahoma City, Boston, and Atlanta) that didn't happen. Miami and Chicago were 41-win teams a year ago. In a couple of weeks they went to the top of the Conference and look to stay there for awhile. The Knicks might sniff the postseason. The Bucks strengthened themselves and the young teams surrounding the top-picks in this year's draft look to be competitive.

It's all set up for one hell of a season. Why are you complaining?

:toast

Mike-in-brazil
07-16-2010, 09:34 AM
We do that during the regular season. The offseason is reserved for watching you squirm after we hoist another trophy.

* hard chuckle*

Sportcamper
07-16-2010, 09:39 AM
This was the biggest free agent extravaganza in the history of the NBA…

Bosh, LeBron, team up with Miami…
Shannon Brown signs with the Lakers…

How can anyone call this a let down…