PDA

View Full Version : Coppell mayor and kid found dead

Viva Las Espuelas
07-15-2010, 09:34 AM
I can't understand stories like this. How can a parent do this to their own flesh and blood? I just don't understand.

COPPELL — The Dallas County Medical Examiner's office has ruled that the mayor of an upscale Dallas suburb killed herself and that her 19-year-old daughter's death was a homicide.

The city manager discovered the bodies of Mayor Jayne Peters, 55, and her 19-year-old daughter Corinne on Thursday evening after Peters failed to appear at a scheduled Council meeting.

There were no signs of forced entry at the Peters residence in the 700 block of Greenway Drive,Luck_The_Fakers_ but police said there was a suicide note taped to the front door along with a key, warning about what would be found inside.

The medical examiner's office said Wednesday that Mayor Peters shot herself in the head. Her daughter, Corinne, 19, also died of a gunshot wound to the head. The medical examiner's office ruled Corinne's death a homicide.

Three additional suicide notes were found inside the home, including instructions on how to care for the family's dogs.

Jayne Peters served as mayor of Coppell for the past year. Her daughter had just graduated from Coppell High School and was bound for the University of Texas at Austin.

Friends and neighbors are in shock and are leaving behind notes, flowers and candles at the Peters' house, where they have lived for the past 17 years.

"Dear Jayne and Corinne, Please know that you are loved! No matter what happened I know that God is with you and giving you comfort," said one note.

A neighbor said it was just last week, Corinne was babysitting her two girls, and was excited about going to UT this fall.

"Say prayers for them, their family, friends, anybody who touched their lives because they were amazing people. I loved Corinne and my girls did,"Luck_The_Fakers_said neighbor Diane Ianni.

"We've known Jayne, gosh, since kindergarten," said friend Bob Tamura. "She served the community so many years, helping people. I wish I was there to help her."

Jayne Peters reportedly always reached out to new neighbors and was the one to organize the annual Halloween party.

Corinne Peters was a member of the Class of 2010 at Coppell High School. She was a member of the drill team and was always on the go, off to some sort of dance class.

There was no indication of anything wrong at the house, although one neighbor said last week when Corinne was babysitting, she did seem upset she had to cancel two different orientations to college because her mother was sick. Corinne did not elaborate on her mother's illness.

Logan said the mayor’s council colleagues were stunned when police told them of the discovery. She said the mayor had shown no signs of personal turmoil.

“I would say it was a complete state of shock for everyone,” she said.

"It's going to be a void that's hard to fill, if it can even be filled at all. She was Coppell. She was not just a figurehead, she was a part of this community, this community meant everything to her."

People are leaving flowers on the steps of the Coppell Town Center.

Jayne Peters succeeded Doug Stover as mayor last year after no one challenged her bid for the seat.

Peters, who has served on the Coppell City Council since 1998, was a contract software developer.

Her husband, Donald Peters, 58, died in January 2008 from cancer.

Mayor Pro Tem Bob Mahalik will serve as mayor in the interim.
Dallas Morning News contributed to this report.

Viva Las Espuelas
07-15-2010, 09:36 AM
Oops. Sorry for the wall of text. I just copy-pasted it and I'm on my phone. I guess this is where a kickstand wouldve been helpful.

xellos88330
07-15-2010, 09:39 AM
There were no signs of forced entry at the Peters residence in the 700 block of Greenway Drive,Luck_The_Fakers_ but police said there was a suicide note taped to the front door along with a key, warning about what would be found inside.

:lmao

Viva Las Espuelas
07-15-2010, 09:55 AM
:lol and why does that happen?

mrsmaalox
07-15-2010, 10:16 AM
I can't understand stories like this. How can a parent do this to their own flesh and blood? I just don't understand.

What makes anyone capable of any kind of murder? In most cases they can do it because they are not rational. Maybe a result of some kind of psychotic episode----there may be an underlying organic cause or they just "snap". It's terrible; very,very sad :(

Viva Las Espuelas
07-15-2010, 10:43 AM
What makes anyone capable of any kind of murder? In most cases they can do it because they are not rational. Maybe a result of some kind of psychotic episode----there may be an underlying organic cause or they just "snap". It's terrible; very,very sad :(

Well yes, how can anyone murder anybody? I understand that, but there's no bond between a murderer and its' random victim. No connection. Nothing like a bond between a parent and their kids. I know this is a crazy world we live in and have no hopes of having a world in complete harmony but this is just sick and sad.

Dear Parents of SpursTalk,
If you're feeling a little off and want to kill yourself, then please just shoot yourself in the face and don't bring anyone with you in your brief moment of stupidity. Leave them a note if you wish but just leave them be. Thank you.

Kermit
07-15-2010, 10:48 AM
I think it's safe to say that the Mayor was sick in the head and didn't want to face the empty nest. Damn. This is way beyond sad. She was supposed to be at Texas this week for orientation.

Whisky Dog
07-15-2010, 10:50 AM
Most murders occur with people who know each other and have a personal connection. The acts of random murder aren't very common.

marini martini
07-15-2010, 10:51 AM
Shit, I want to shoot my family every other day, but I don't!:toast

Viva Las Espuelas
07-15-2010, 10:54 AM

Thank you. :toast

mrsmaalox
07-15-2010, 10:57 AM
Well yes, how can anyone murder anybody? I understand that, but there's no bond between a murderer and its' random victim. No connection. Nothing like a bond between a parent and their kids. I know this is a crazy world we live in and have no hopes of having a world in complete harmony but this is just sick and sad.

Dear Parents of SpursTalk,
If you're feeling a little off and want to kill yourself, then please just shoot yourself in the face and don't bring anyone with you in your brief moment of stupidity. Leave them a note if you wish but just leave them be. Thank you.

Exactly, it is sick. Very sick.

I'm sure your note will be a huge help. Providing it is read by rational posters ;)

mrsmaalox
07-15-2010, 11:00 AM

Honey, as hard as you may try to hide it.....you are in control of your faculties :lol