PDA

View Full Version : The Texas Triad

ohmwrecker
07-15-2010, 11:37 AM
Texas Trio moves on after Miami Thrice, maintaining patient approach

http://probasketballnews.com/story/?storyid=1085

How does the Spurs' off season stack up to their state rivals? Is the Texas triangle still as intimidating for opposing teams as it used to be? How do you see the conference standings shaking down? Does the Mavericks moves make them better than last year? Are the Spurs still the top dog?

tmtcsc
07-15-2010, 12:32 PM
Your avatar is hilarious. Looks like Hellboy. I know he's a well respected singer but his name escapes me.

ohmwrecker
07-15-2010, 12:32 PM
Tom Waits

ohmwrecker
07-15-2010, 02:35 PM
I guess I should have started another "Trade Tony Parker" thread.

ohmwrecker
07-15-2010, 05:48 PM
Just a few of the brilliant threads that are getting views over this one:

Can Chris Paul for Parker be done? (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159008), No one has talked about it.... (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158955), Jalen Rose thinks Parker will be a Knick one way or another by next season, (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158821)eeaarly 2010-2011 predictions (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158920) And my favorite . . . Poll: Blake Griffin vs. Tiago Splitter (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158999)

I hate you all.

Trimble87
07-15-2010, 06:56 PM
I know Dallas fans are lining up to jump off a cliff after the uneventful offseason... but I like what they did this summer. I think Haywood and Chandler playing center for them will be a huge upgrade over what Dirk has had to work with before. Butler is still going to be a great scorer and Roddy B. will continue to improve. If J-Kidd and Marion can keep up at least a solid level of play the Mavericks should be in contention for a top 3 seed.

Houston is a huge question mark. Will yao stay healthy, will Ariza play up to the contract he was given, will aaron brooks continue to play at a high level. And even if all those things happen... will it work out chemistry wise? Ariza and Martin havent had to play with Yao yet... no idea how it will mesh.

It's still too early to tell with us... Spurs signed splitter and got a good shooter in Anderson. If we resign jefferson and sign one more sf who can defend/shoot then we will obviously be a better team then last year. Blair and Hill are going to continue to progress and Parker should (hopefully) return to an elite pg. The biggest question mark for us is going to be health. Can Tim/Manu/Tony stay healthy for a full season and more importantly be healthy and rested for the playoffs. I expect us to be a top 5 seed again this year with over 50 wins. But none of that matters if we're not ready come April.

Best case scenario for the Spurs: Splitter comes in and makes an immediate impact, showing quickly he can start in the NBA and working his way up to starting center. TP stays healthy and returns to being an elite, 20+ppg and 6apg, pg. Duncan and Manu stay healthy and are at 100% come April. RJ gets his head out of his ass and learns to play with our team. And the roleplayers benfit from a stable rotation and clearly defined roles... If all those things go right then we can certainly win the west and try our luck against the Miami Cheats... of course this is the real world so its not going to go perfectly. Its goig to take a lot of hard work and good leadership, both from Pop and our veteran players. The drive for five imho is still alive.

The texas triangle is still a bitch, and other teams aren't going to enjoy their stay here.

TIMMYD!
07-15-2010, 07:29 PM
Mavs are ahead of us now, very deep, great size and D up front......they can even play dirk at the 3 now if the want. Post D should be great this year. They add a scorer in the draft.

I give Cuban credit, he isnt afraid of making a splash, wish we would do the same.

Houston should be at least as good as us......They get Yao back, Have upgraded the bench and SG spots........I like what they have if they keep Scola and stay healthy all year.

We signed Splitter which was great.......Had a great draft but we are very small still up front, have NO small forward, have become a weaker shooting team and a weaker post defending team....If we want to win next year we need to find a way to deal TP for more talent at the 3 and 5.....or find a way to use RJ in a sign and trade that can help those areas.

What?

FeZZy
07-15-2010, 07:36 PM
haha wow...

Ginobili2Duncan
07-15-2010, 09:45 PM
How can anyone tink the Mavs are better than the Spurs after they just spanked them in the first round? They added Chandler(excellent post defender when healthy), but their biggest weakness is they don't have an elite perimeter player. Butler has showed he wasn't the answer last year, old undersized SG's age badly and Terry is no exception, and Marion on the permiter isn't a mismatch on offense.

Josh Howard, Devin Harris, young Jason Terry, Jerry Stackhouse and Nowitzki all thrived in isolations.Their biggest strength against the Spurs in the past was their ability to attack whatever mismatch presented itself. Now the only player who can attack the Spurs consistently is Nowitzki. Unless the Mavs add a second tier star on the perimeter they can expect the same result as last year.

TD 21
07-15-2010, 09:53 PM
How can anyone tink the Mavs are better than the Spurs after they just spanked them in the first round? They added Chandler(excellent post defender when healthy), but their biggest weakness is they don't have an elite perimeter player. Butler has showed he wasn't the answer last year, old undersized SG's age badly and Terry is no exception, and Marion on the permiter isn't a mismatch on offense.

Josh Howard, Devin Harris, young Jason Terry, Jerry Stackhouse and Nowitzki all thrived in isolations.Their biggest strength against the Spurs in the past was their ability to attack whatever mismatch presented itself. Now the only player who can attack the Spurs consistently is Nowitzki. Unless the Mavs add a second tier star on the perimeter they can expect the same result as last year.

Excellent post. I knew the spanking the Spurs gave them would instantly be forgotten by many pundits when they ranked teams in the West going into next season. The Mavs are constantly overrated for some reason. Everything about them is, from Nowitzki to all of their additions, etc.

At their core they're still flawed and until they fix that, they're not going anywhere. I don't care how good people think Nowitzki is, he's not the type of star who can carry a team to a championship. He needs a perimeter player who can be the go to guy and unfortunately for the Mavs, it's highly unlikely that they'll be able to acquire that while he's still at or near his peak.