PDA

View Full Version : Game Thoughts: Spurs vs. Hawks - SL Game 2

timvp
07-15-2010, 12:37 PM
Another summer league game. Another win. Another injury. The Spurs beat the Hawks 89-84 but James Gist was forced to leave the game due to a wrist injury. Gist joins James Anderson, DeJuan Blair and Garrett Temple as sidelined Spurs.

On the court, the Spurs led by as many as 23 points before the Hawks made a run to make it a close contest in the fourth quarter. Thanks to timely shooting down the stretch, namely by Curtis Jerrells, San Antonio was able to hold onto the win.

To build the lead, the Spurs had good ball movement, attacked the rim and forced turnovers via a swarming defense. However, in the second half, the trouble began once the offensive sets got stagnant and the players got selfish.

Alonzo Gee
33:51 minutes, 24 points, 4 rebounds, 4 steals, 3 turnovers
8-for-13 from the field, 0-for-1 on three-pointers, 8-for-11 at the line
For much of the first half and the third quarter, Alonzo Gee was the best player on the court. He relentlessly took the ball to the basket to show off his extreme athleticism and body control. Gee's effort on defense was effective against the Hawks, especially early. Compared to the first game of summer league, he played a much more team-oriented game and didn't force things nearly as much. That said, Gee still has a lot of areas to work on. Firstly, his offense was entirely based in the paint. He needs to show more of a perimeter game to make it on the Spurs. Defensively, he needs to continue to learn how to be aggressive without gambling too much. Late in the game, he wasn't getting the ball much on the offensive end and it seemed to affect his intensity on the defensive end -- not good. All in all, Gee took a step in the right direction but there's still room for improvement.

James Gist
17:15 minutes, 10 points, 5 rebounds, 2 steals, 1 block, 3 turnovers
2-for-5 from the floor, 0-for-1 on three-pointers, 6-for-6 at the line
James Gist has really given very good effort so far in Las Vegas. In fact, he got injured tumbling to the ground after hustling back on defense and attempting to block a shot. Before getting hurt, Gist continued a familiar pattern. When he tried to play as a perimeter-oriented power forward, he struggled. He doesn't look comfortable taking outside jumpers, dribbling to the basket or passing from the high post. When Gist plays in the paint, his production spikes -- mostly due to being able to use his athleticism to finish around the rim. How should Gist balance taking advantage of his strengths while proving his weaknesses are improving rapidly enough to warrant an NBA contract? That's the riddle Gist must solve.

Curtis Jerrells
29:57 minutes, 20 points, 4 assists, 2 rebounds, 4 steals, 4 turnovers
7-for-12 from the floor, 1-for-3 on three-pointers, 5-for-8 at the line
Curtis Jerrells showed strength in many areas. First of all, his defense against Jeff Teague was outstanding. He helped force Teague, who may start at point guard for the Hawks this season, into nine turnovers. Jerrells finished very well in the lane and continues to can open jumpers. In the first two games, he's made 11-of-18 shots from the field. Despite the positives, Jerrells' transition to point guard is oftentimes an ugly sight. He's not a natural passer and plays with an uneven rhythm. Especially in the fourth quarter, Jerrells was so focused on looking for his own shots that he ruined the fluidity of the offense.

Gary Neal
35:08 minutes, 16 points, 3 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals, 2 turnovers
6-for-15 from the field, 3-for-7 on three-pointers, 1-for-2 at the line
After playing well in limited minutes in the first game, Gary Neal had a opportunity to shine against Atlanta. He started at shooting guard and led the Spurs in minutes. Neal's outside shooting was again his strongest attribute, although he missed a number of open looks in the second half. He made a few good passes and competed on the defensive end. Unfortunately, his athleticism on both ends was underwhelming. Neal doesn't get much elevation and has slow feet for his size. That said, his ability to score the ball continues to make him an interesting prospect.

Darryl Watkins
25:08 minutes, 5 points, 5 rebounds, 2 steal, 2 turnovers
1-for-2 from the field, 3-for-4 at the line
A couple years ago, Darryl Watkins was close to making the team. Since that time, Watkins must not have stayed in shape because his play is much less impressive. He doesn't move or jump nearly as well anymore. He went from being a defensive presence to a borderline defensive liability. Hopefully he improves as the summer league progresses as he gets in better shape.

Tyler Wilkerson
24:23 minutes, 7 points, 7 rebounds, 1 block, 2 turnovers
2-for-7 from the field, 3-for-4 at the line
Tyler Wilkerson is a lot like Gist. He can do good things around the rim but is a disaster when attempting to play as a stretch four. He has no chance to make the NBA without a consistent jumper -- and he doesn't appear to have one.

Eric Dawson
11:07 minutes, 1 rebound, 1 steal, 2 turnovers
Decent size. Decent athleticism. Not enough skill to be much more than a role player in the NBA D-League.

Michael Cuffee
11: 01 minutes, 2 points
1-for-5 from the field, 0-for-1 on three-pointers
I fail to see what the Spurs saw in him to even put him on the summer league team. Perhaps they wanted an eighth man for the Toros.

Squeaky Johnson
10:03 minutes, 5 points, 1 assist, 2 steals
1-for-3 from the field, 0-for-1 on three-pointers, 3-for-5 at the line
Squeaky Johnson is a less talented cross between Avery Johnson and Lil' Wayne. But since he's the only real point guard left standing on this team, it's a breath of fresh air when he comes into the game. The ball movement improves dramatically and the sets run much more smoothly.

callo1
07-15-2010, 12:41 PM
More turnovers in those stat lines then a Pastry shop...there all Spurs material...sign them!!

TIMMYD!
07-15-2010, 12:41 PM
Squeaky Johnson
10:03 minutes, 5 points, 1 assist, 2 steals
1-for-3 from the field, 0-for-1 on three-pointers, 3-for-5 at the line
Squeaky Johnson is a less talented cross between Avery Johnson and Lil' Wayne. But since he's the only real point guard left standing on this team, it's a breath of fresh air when he comes into the game. The ball movement improves dramatically and the sets run much more smoothly.

:lol

ohmwrecker
07-15-2010, 12:42 PM
Could you analyze Li'l Wayne's basketball skills? Conversely, how about AJ's skills as an MC?

will_spurs
07-15-2010, 12:46 PM
Box 6 of ESPN's Daily Dime is about Jerrells shutting down John Teague in summer league.

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-100715/daily-dime

Also... do you think Gee will make it to the final roster, or is it unlikely?

DPG21920
07-15-2010, 12:54 PM
Pretty good summary IMHO tbh. Gee was a very dominant physical player live. Like you said, he kept going to that same well over and over. Even though he appears to be an elite finisher, I amnot sure it will translate at the NBA level.

I am not sure that the one thing he excels at is so good that it makes him an NBA player. IMO adding a jump shot would be great, but if he could add very good defense to his things he does well he could be a Tony Allen type.

lefty
07-15-2010, 12:57 PM
So wait.....

All the youngsters are injured?

WTF

biziofromdowntown
07-15-2010, 01:00 PM
Are Gist project do not play today?

DPG21920
07-15-2010, 01:06 PM
Gist looked bad, but you never know. Blair was barely moving. All he did during warm ups was shoot flat footed 12 ft shots. Only very limited movement.

Bruno
07-15-2010, 01:11 PM
I really liked Gee in this game. He showed a lot of qualities that makes him a very intriguing prospect. I understand now why Spurs made a big financial effort to steal him from Wizards. He is a keeper.

wildbill2u
07-15-2010, 01:14 PM
Gee reminds me of another Spur who came into the league without a reliable outside shot but was a good finisher in the paint...but Gee is maybe more athletic and a better rebounder.

Who was that Spur?

Quasar
07-15-2010, 01:28 PM
Tony???

mookie2001
07-15-2010, 01:37 PM
Gist is a very very average player, I don't see him an NBA player. Ever

Jerrells has come along nicely, I wasn't his biggest fan, he is an undersized combo guard with average speed and just a jumper on offense, but he can move around well and he's really improved his ball handling

spursfaninla
07-15-2010, 01:47 PM
Gee reminds me of another Spur who came into the league without a reliable outside shot but was a good finisher in the paint...but Gee is maybe more athletic and a better rebounder.

Who was that Spur?

Tony Parker?

Darkwaters
07-15-2010, 02:17 PM

Who was that Spur?

James White!

?

Blackjack
07-15-2010, 02:29 PM

Who was that Spur?

http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/charles_smith.jpg

Charles "Spider" Smith?

DPG21920
07-15-2010, 02:46 PM
Gary "The Train" Neal?

beachwood
07-15-2010, 03:30 PM
Good analysis.

When Squeaky checked into the game, I thought we had signed Lil Wayne.

Gee looks good. I hope he sticks on the team somehow. He's very active and has a knack for scoring. He seems like a tricky player.

Gist kinda disappointed me again. Doesn't seem like he's improved at all since last year. But maybe I let the ST hype get to me and I'm expecting too much. He put up some pretty weak sauce on the offensive end a few times and had his shot blocked repeatedly. He seems to be trying though and gives effort.

Obstructed_View
07-15-2010, 04:16 PM
Gary "The Train" Neal?

The Caboose?

Manu-of-steel
07-15-2010, 09:39 PM
LOL at all the answers to "that spur"!