PDA

View Full Version : Richard Jefferson Remains Unemployed

hater
07-15-2010, 01:47 PM
Richard Jefferson Turns Down Spurs' $15.2 Million, Remains Unemployed
http://www.nesn.com/2010/07/richard-jefferson-turns-down-spurs-152-million-still-remains-unemployed.html

by Evans Clinchy on Jul 15, 2010 10:24:20 AM
Generally, when you’ve got a $15.2 million check sitting on the table in front of you, you snatch it up.

Generally. Unless you’re downright insane.

Or if you’re Richard Jefferson. :bang

Jefferson shocked the world late in the afternoon on June 30, announcing just hours before the July 1 start of free agency that he’d be opting out of the final year of his contract with the San Antonio Spurs. After a lackluster season that saw Jefferson’s scoring drop off considerably and the Spurs swept in the second round of the West playoffs, Jefferson decided to turn his back on the team for which he’d played so disappointingly last season.

To say the least, it was a counterintuitive move. Looking at the final season of a six-year, $78 million contract extension he’d signed long ago back with the New Jersey Nets, it looked like a no-brainer for Jefferson to sign on the dotted line and indicate that, yes, he was sticking around. He’d just averaged 12.3 points, 4.4 rebounds and 2.0 assists in his first and only season with the Spurs -- statistically, the worst season he’d had since he was a 21-year-old rookie eight years ago -- and he had no reason to walk away. His stock was at an all-time low.

Yet, he opted out. He was just two years removed from his time with the Nets, who shipped him off to Milwaukee in June 2008 for Yi Jianlian and Bobby Simmons, and one year removed from the Bucks, who dealt him to San Antonio last summer. He’d been with three different teams in three years and done nothing impressive with any of them. Who was he to say no to $15.2 million?

It was a bizarre move, to be sure. But in the end, it probably meant nothing. Jefferson is now nearing a return to San Antonio, and one can only imagine he’ll make less than the eight-figure windfall he was originally due.

Did he really, legitimately want out of San Antonio, thinking he could find a better contract or a better basketball situation elsewhere? Was he looking to rework his contract, facing the uncertainty of next year’s collective bargaining meetings and looking for long-term security now? Or was Jefferson simply trying to make a statement, that he’s still a power player in this league, and he didn’t want to be taken for granted anymore?

Who knows? But whatever Jefferson’s motives, it appears that he and the Spurs are on the verge of figuring things out.

So now what?

The Spurs have a rapidly closing window in their quest to win another NBA championship. Tim Duncan turned 34 in April -- he’s now a 13-year veteran, with 977 NBA games and 35,577 minutes, not even counting playoffs, on his odometer. Manu Ginobili is still a big shot-maker, but he’s about to turn 33 and he’s not the same athlete he once was.

Those guys won three championship rings together between 2003 and 2007. If they want to win another with Jefferson in the mix, they’d better get it done soon.

It’s unclear how Jefferson fits into San Antonio’s plans. Year 1 didn’t exactly go smoothly -- the Spurs had trouble sharing the ball, the defense didn’t gel and Jefferson ended up leading the team in minutes while a number of his teammates were dogged by fatigue and minor injuries.

Jefferson was supposed to be the final piece of the puzzle. But instead of putting the Spurs over the top, he just made a mess.

Jefferson likely has a pay cut to look forward to. The Spurs are declining. No one really wins in this deal -- except the rest of the Western Conference.

hater
07-15-2010, 01:48 PM
fuck jefferson close the book on that one RC

Ditty
07-15-2010, 01:55 PM
i dont get it didnt he already turn this deal down, did they offer him the same contract and declined or 15.2 for 2 years or something?

sananspursfan21
07-15-2010, 01:57 PM
The Spurs are declining. No one really wins in this deal -- except the rest of the Western Conference.

i hate how he words that. i think the spurs are doing good with rebuilding while it's still duncan's team. they're getting young again with hill, blair, splitter, even jefferson if he can get his head into it. i'm optimistic about the spurs future. i think they're in more position to possibly win a championship this year than '08 or '09.

this dude obviously hates the spurs to say that

07-15-2010, 01:58 PM
spurs should just cut ties with jefferson. try very hard for a s&t but if they can't find one, then just don't sign him. anything more than $7 million a year is overpriced and jefferson will not perceive it to be a fair deal, which results in him playing more dispirited than ever.

right now, i guess the spurs and jefferson could work out a one year deal of $8-9 million (or the max amount that won't put the spurs over the luxury tax, whichever is less) for jefferson to improve his stock and for the spurs to have a handy expiring contract that could be useful later and won't tie them down in the future.

E-RockWill
07-15-2010, 01:59 PM
Yes, the $15.2 million the article is referring to is what he would get if he didn't opt out.
This does not say anything new about RJ & the Spurs.

rjv
07-15-2010, 02:01 PM
jefferson would have been a 19 points per game if he had taken the same amount of shots he had when in milwaukee.

it may be that the 12 points per is all we are going to get from him and if someone can find another 3 who can do that and play better D for us then i am all ears.

LongtimeSpursFan
07-15-2010, 02:02 PM
Move along...nothing to see. In the end I fully expect the Spurs and Jefferson to work out a deal that is beneficial to both parties. Just waiting for other pieces to get on board before his deal is announced.

coyotes_geek
07-15-2010, 02:03 PM
I'm guessing the Spurs have an offer on the table for RJ that beats the MLE, but before RJ signs it he wants to see if anyone with capspace is willing to beat it. In the end though, he'll re-sign with the Spurs.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-15-2010, 02:07 PM
Misleading thread title. 15.2 million is what he would have got if he hadn't opted out. This makes it sound like he just turned down a new deal with them. Please edit.

FalleNxWiZarDx
07-15-2010, 02:07 PM
blessing in disguise

Indazone
07-15-2010, 02:15 PM
aka Latrell Spreewell "I got family to feed" :lmao

FalleNxWiZarDx
07-15-2010, 02:21 PM
aka Latrell Spreewell "I got family to feed" :lmao

alot of players turn down offers.....

this is not even close son... not funny

Spurs Brazil
07-15-2010, 02:22 PM
misleading thread title. 15.2 million is what he would have got if he hadn't opted out. This makes it sound like he just turned down a new deal with them. Please edit.

+1

DPG21920
07-15-2010, 02:43 PM
Why would the spurs beat the mle when it looks like he won't even get that?

Muser
07-15-2010, 02:50 PM
Shitty thread title.

Mel_13
07-15-2010, 02:54 PM
Bonzi Jefferson

ohmwrecker
07-15-2010, 02:55 PM
Misleading thread title. 15.2 million is what he would have got if he hadn't opted out. This makes it sound like he just turned down a new deal with them. Please edit.

I didn't really find it that confusing AND it's linked to an article that explains the title.

Bender
07-15-2010, 02:56 PM
Shitty thread title.
yes it is, but it's also the actual title of the article being quoted.

Fabbs
07-15-2010, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by hater
by Evans Clinchy on Jul 15, 2010
The Spurs are declining. No one really wins in this deal -- except the rest of the Western Conference.

i hate how he words that. i think the spurs are doing good with rebuilding while it's still duncan's team. they're getting young again with hill, blair, splitter, even jefferson if he can get his head into it. i'm optimistic about the spurs future. i think they're in more position to possibly win a championship this year than '08 or '09.

this dude obviously hates the spurs to say that
"In this deal", Beavil.
He's spot on, no one except West Conf opponents benefitted from the Jefferson fiasco.

TFloss32
07-15-2010, 03:00 PM
I didn't really find it that confusing AND it's linked to an article that explains the title.

It is confusing and misleading. When you open it up and look at the date (7/15) it looks as if he turned down a $15 milli deal very recently (or even today). This is old news anyway and should be edited or deleted altogether.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-15-2010, 03:18 PM

If I see an article dated 7/15, I assume that means he turned down their offer today.

This is basically reporting on something that happened last month with a by line of today.

MannyIsGod
07-15-2010, 03:22 PM
Did you guys suffer heart palpitations in the 15 seconds of confusion?

to21
07-15-2010, 03:23 PM
:lol

G-Dawgg
07-15-2010, 03:33 PM
jefferson would have been a 19 points per game if he had taken the same amount of shots he had when in milwaukee.

it may be that the 12 points per is all we are going to get from him and if someone can find another 3 who can do that and play better D for us then i am all ears.

Finally somebody that understands...

spurs_2108
07-15-2010, 05:20 PM
misleading title!!! what the hell? I thought he was just offered this and turned it down.

MaNu4Tres
07-15-2010, 05:28 PM
I guess it's ok to have 10 of the same threads a day.

Nice work hater :tu

ohmwrecker
07-15-2010, 05:30 PM
http://highwaytrafficsupply.com/images/regulatory_signs.html/W9-12.jpg

ohmwrecker
07-15-2010, 05:33 PM
So . . . let me get this straight. Those of you who are confused, assumed the thread title meant that the Spurs offered Jefferson that exact amount of money that he opted out of and Jefferson turned it down again?

Behrooz24
07-15-2010, 05:39 PM
So . . . let me get this straight. Those of you who are confused, assumed the thread title meant that the Spurs offered Jefferson that exact amount of money that he opted out of and Jefferson turned it down again?

Well if you're just skimming the thread titles you would assume that he rejected an offer since the thread is new.

elitist prick http://smiliesftw.com/x/jerkit.gif (http://smiliesftw.com)

Obstructed_View
07-15-2010, 05:53 PM

So...let me get this straight: Someone wrote an article with no new information, rehashes something that happened two weeks ago, but changes the term "opt out" to "turns down" in the title and you don't find that the least bit curious, and instead ridicule people that suggest that it's misleading?

ohmwrecker
07-15-2010, 09:32 PM
So...let me get this straight: Someone wrote an article with no new information, rehashes something that happened two weeks ago, but changes the term "opt out" to "turns down" in the title and you don't find that the least bit curious, and instead ridicule people that suggest that it's misleading?

Yeah, that about covers it. Even if you were "misled" by the title of the thread, it should have been evident after opening it exactly what the article was in referencing. Also, the fact that not one article published since Jefferson opted out has provided any new information should be a good indication that this one had followed suit.
I didn't start the thread and I'm not defending posting the article, but I am also not whining and moaning about the information, or lack thereof, contained. When 90% of the threads posted on this board are speculative in nature, I don't understand why this one is any worse than the majority.
Take a look at the most popular threads today and it is pretty clear that most of them are just typical time wasting, theoretical, off season fodder. I don't see what is so "elitist" about pointing out the hypocrisy in singling out this one in particular.

Now that OP has changed the thread title, this argument is irrelevant.

50 cent
07-15-2010, 10:21 PM
You guys are fucking retarded if you thought for 1 second that the Spurs re-offered RJ 15.2 million.

MmP
07-15-2010, 10:21 PM
That final sentece there is brutal for us. I think that If we could get a good stopper, a good three point threat we are right there. This offseason seemed to be wild and turned to be one of the most boring.

Flux451
07-15-2010, 10:47 PM
Is he taking less to give back to Spurs for a big free agent (of what remains).

HarlemHeat37
07-15-2010, 10:49 PM
I don't think he's going to take less by choice:lol..

I'm assuming the Spurs had a wink-wink deal and there's a hold up, or Jefferson opted out, thinking some shitty team will give him a long-term deal..

Agloco
07-15-2010, 10:53 PM
RJ's straight ballin. No need to worry about him.

http://buehehe.org/2006-07-28/pimp_my_ride.jpg

Man In Black
07-16-2010, 12:53 AM
This is BS. Observe

The Spurs have a rapidly closing window in their quest to win another NBA championship. Tim Duncan turned 34 in April -- he’s now a 13-year veteran, with 977 NBA games and 35,577 minutes, not even counting playoffs, on his odometer. Manu Ginobili is still a big shot-maker, but he’s about to turn 33 and he’s not the same athlete he once was.
With but a few tweaks, it could possibly look like this:

The Lakersrs have kept their window open their quest to attempt a 2nd 3-peat. Kobe Bryant turns 32 in August -- he’s now a 14-year veteran, with 1021 NBA games and 37,384 minutes, not even counting playoffs, on his odometer. Ron Artest is still a good defender, but he’s about to turn 32 and he’s not the same athlete he once was. But, with the heist of Heisler and the Grizzlies of Pau Gasol, and a steady yet unspectacular cast, the Lakers look like they might get that 2nd 3 peat. Unless the Spurs can respond with their own Spanish(actually Brazilian) MVP player in Tiago Splitter.
Perception ain't always the truth, it just seems like it.

ffcommish
07-16-2010, 03:27 AM
This is BS. Observe

With but a few tweaks, it could possibly look like this:

Perception ain't always the truth, it just seems like it.

Be careful MIB, ESPN is very protective about their trade secrets.