lefty
07-15-2010, 02:37 PM
Sun Eruption That May Have Spawned Zombie Satellite Identified

Module body

Wed Jul 14, 11:58 AM

by Zoe Macintosh
SPACE.com Staff Writer
Wed Jul 14, 8:15 am ET

Scientists have identified a massive eruption from the sun in April that reached all the way to Earth and may be responsible for knocking out a satellite, creating a so-called "zombie satellite." :spless:

The huge explosion of plasma and magnetic energy, called as a coronal mass ejection (CME), occurred on April 3 and was observed by NASA's sun-watching STEREO spacecraft, according to the U.S. Naval Research Laboratory (NRL). The laboratory released new images of the solar storm last week.

The solar storm (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/space/sc_space/storytext/suneruptionthatmayhavespawnedzombiesatelliteidenti fied/36895168/SIG=12bbkkvpp/*http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/active-sun-solar-storms-100609.html) appears to have disabled the Intelsat communications satellite Galaxy 15 (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/space/sc_space/storytext/suneruptionthatmayhavespawnedzombiesatelliteidenti fied/36895168/SIG=121r72vd4/*http://www.space.com/news/zombiesat-galaxy15-update-100707.html), NRL officials said. Galaxy 15 lost contact with its ground controllers on April 5 and has been drifting around Earth ever since.

Solar storms are known to put satellites at risk. The charged particles in a storm can short out electrical equipment.

The observations suggest the coronal mass ejection flung material away from the sun at a phenomenal 1,000 kilometers per second. The solar eruption was moving at 2.2 million mph (3.6 million kph) while it was still close to the sun on April 3. It then slowed down to about 700 kilometers per second (1.5 million mph or 2.5 million kph) when it reached Earth on April 5.

There is an odd twist to the Galaxy 15 satellite failure. While the satellite has stopped communicating with its ground control center, its C-band telecommunications payload (which provided broadcast services to customers) is stuck on, earning it the "zombie satellite" (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/space/sc_space/storytext/suneruptionthatmayhavespawnedzombiesatelliteidenti fied/36895168/SIG=12k8t8b1j/*http://www.space.com/news/out-of-control-satellite-threatens-others-sn-100503.html) nickname.

Coronal mass ejections (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/space/sc_space/storytext/suneruptionthatmayhavespawnedzombiesatelliteidenti fied/36895168/SIG=12oba5md1/*http://www.space.com/php/multimedia/imagegallery/igviewer.php?imgid=145&gid=10&index=0), or CMEs, are powerful eruptions of plasma and magnetic energy from the sun's outer atmosphere, or corona," NRL officials wrote in the July 7 statement. "When these sudden outbursts are directed toward Earth, they can have both breathtakingly beautiful and potentially damaging effects." [Amazing new sun photos.]

The study of the April 3 coronal mass ejection event was performed using NASA's Solar Terrestrial Relations Observatory (STEREO), a set of twin spacecraft on opposite sides of Earth that continuously watch the sun in what produces a stereo view, due to the wide separate of the probes in space.

The unique lateral views provided by STEREO were ideal for studying the kinematics and morphology of the developing event, said Russell Howard, the STEREO mission's principal investigator at the Naval Research Laboratory.

Three-dimensional reconstruction of the evolving cloud of electrified gas showed its form to be a crescent-shaped "flux rope" with a shock wave driven in front.

Prior awareness that the coronal mass ejection was headed straight for Earth came from the NRL-developed coronagraph aboard the SOHO solar observatory, which is located at a spot between the Earth and sun. That Large Angle Coronograph-Spectrograph (LASCO) instrument on SOHO observed a "halo" around the sun formed by the expanding and approaching solar eruption, NRL officials said.

Meanwhile, the now-aimless electronic signal from Galaxy 15 has forced other communications satellites to conduct evasive maneuvers from time to time to avoid signal interference. But the chances of the Galaxy 15 spacecraft hitting another satellite are so remote, they are non-existent, Intelsat officials have said. This month, Galaxy 15 will be flying near two other Intelsat satellites (Galaxy 13 and Galaxy 14).

www.yahoo.com (http://www.yahoo.com)

bigzak25
07-15-2010, 05:03 PM
If you wish to prepare, simply choose to truly live by the following.

May God Bless Us. :toast

‘“You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.” This is the greatest and first commandment. And a second is like it: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.’
—Matthew 22:34-40

LnGrrrR
07-15-2010, 05:21 PM
I'm going to prepare by thinking this will be another in a long line of failed "End of the World" predictions.

clambake
07-15-2010, 05:45 PM

‘“You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.” This is the greatest and first commandment. And a second is like it: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.’

did you carve up angel luv and eat her?

bigzak25
07-15-2010, 07:08 PM
go bake your clams...:lol

lil'mo
07-15-2010, 07:14 PM
CME's happen all the time, lefty. There are plenty of other reasons to believe 2012 is going down. But cme's are pussy shit.

Bigzak... Take your bible passages and shove them up your ass. Thanks.

bigzak25
07-15-2010, 07:18 PM
Now what good would they do there smart guy?

lil'mo
07-15-2010, 07:20 PM
They'd probably help to loosen and soften your stool you fuckin psycho

bigzak25
07-15-2010, 07:21 PM
As for 2012, I've heard everything from the galactic alignment and the super massive black hole at the center of our galaxy causing some major chaos, to the return of the dwarf star, aka planet x causing some major trouble for us.

I don't know about that stuff.

Maybe the scientists and most knowledgeable on this site can give their two cents.

bigzak25
07-15-2010, 07:23 PM
They'd probably help to lossen and soften your stool you fuckin psycho

me a psycho?

I'm not the one worshiping a cow lil buddy. :toast

lil'mo
07-15-2010, 07:27 PM
me a psycho?

I'm not the one worshiping a cow lil buddy. :toast

am I exhibiting bovine worship? I am a cow but I am agnostic.

bigzak25
07-15-2010, 07:28 PM
And I am closer to gnostic. Good to make your acquaintance my friend.

bigzak25
07-15-2010, 07:31 PM
I prefer True Christian though. :tu

lil'mo
07-15-2010, 07:31 PM
God has saved you once again

bigzak25
07-15-2010, 07:32 PM
God has saved you once again

qft. :toast

lil'mo
07-15-2010, 07:35 PM
God high. Put down the pipe, son.

BlackSwordsMan
07-15-2010, 08:06 PM
Zombies!!!!!

bigzak25
07-16-2010, 12:13 AM
God high. Put down the pipe, son.

Actually, putting the marijuana pipe is what I did. Marijuana was quite the deterrent to my spiritual awakening.

When you ask me to come down from my 'God high', do you not realize that you are asking me to turn my back on true love?

That is more representative of something a psycho would do.

Is that something you would be willing to do?

What do you love with all your heart? Are you willing to turn you back on it?

Neither am I.

I'd much rather live forever as a servant of God then live a sleepwalkers life of self-servitude.

I am free as a bird for the first time in my life. And Lord knows, by the Grace of God...I cannot and will not change. :toast

CkTQUtx818w

phyzik
07-16-2010, 12:22 AM
Im looking forward to this shit....

Will get rid of alot of idiots on this planet...

Not looking forward to the aftermath....

Alot more idiots will be born believing it was some gods will....

I only hope enough rational people survive to tell them why it really happened.

Viva Las Espuelas
07-16-2010, 12:25 AM
What did happen to angel luv? Haven't seen her in a while.

bigzak25
07-16-2010, 12:27 AM
The aftermath is the best part.

Do not worry, those that are chosen will be the cream of the crop, so to speak.

Dr. Gonzo
07-16-2010, 12:30 AM
:ttiwwp:

phyzik
07-16-2010, 12:38 AM
The aftermath is the best part.

Do not worry, those that are chosen will be the cream of the crop, so to speak.

I can easily see "true believers" standing out in the open accepting the "judgement of God". :lol

Lets see how true their faith is when the "Rapture" comes. They will be hiding in holes just like sane people would. :lmao

bigzak25
07-16-2010, 12:44 AM
I will hide in no hole my friend. Like I said, I am a true Christian. God's will be done.

Currently, if it was to hit the fan and the Earth as we know it is coming to an end, which it will eventually, I'm just not sure when, then I am thinking either a boat with my family, ala Noah and his Arc, or just standing on top of Enchanted Rock.

ALWAYS bet on BLACK
07-16-2010, 04:52 AM
:married:

Good Day.

:whine

Better Night.

:lmao
Her reaction.

:toast
The simple solution.

:sleep
The result.

-ClingingMars

symple19
07-16-2010, 06:51 AM

Take your ridiculous bible verses and shove em' up your ass

lefty
07-16-2010, 08:35 AM
CME's happen all the time, lefty. There are plenty of other reasons to believe 2012 is going down. But cme's are pussy shit.

Bigzak... Take your bible passages and shove them up your ass. Thanks.
Pheeeew :p:

JoeChalupa
07-16-2010, 09:20 AM
Interesting.

RandomGuy
07-16-2010, 09:48 AM
As for 2012, I've heard everything from the galactic alignment and the super massive black hole at the center of our galaxy causing some major chaos, to the return of the dwarf star, aka planet x causing some major trouble for us.

I don't know about that stuff.

Maybe the scientists and most knowledgeable on this site can give their two cents.

http://www.trephination.net/gallery/macros/bs.jpg

2012 will come and go with little fanfare.

The big hulabaloo is that one mayan calandar discovered at one archeological site ends in 2012, a year where there is a particular alignment.

Other mayan calandars extended quite beyond this time, and modern mayan decendents hold no such "world will end" beliefs.

The "end of the world" schtick is a constant theme, with various methods of ending touted or presented. Rapture, rogue planets, etc, all of which have varying degrees of scientific basis.

There is no scientific basis that I have seen putting 2012 as anything other than yet another orbit of our planet around our star, one of billions of such orbits.

There exist some provable, scientifically based existential threats, Gamma-ray bursts, asteroids, comets, etc, but these have always existed. They are however, very very very improbable events. If we were really concerned we could (and should) start getting out into our solar system in a big way. This would effectively eliminate the threats posed by asteroids and comets.

That's about it.

thispego
07-16-2010, 10:41 AM
Everybody stop digging your underground shelters! Randomguy says it's cool and 2012 is nothing to worry about! :rolleyes

bigzak25
07-16-2010, 01:19 PM
Take your ridiculous bible verses and shove em' up your ass

What is ridiculous about it?

And why are you interested in requesting that I shove things up my behind. Seems rather odd.

RandomGuy
07-16-2010, 01:24 PM
Everybody stop digging your underground shelters! Randomguy says it's cool and 2012 is nothing to worry about! :rolleyes

By all means keep digging shelters if it makes you happy.

I put in my two cents, as the OP asked for.

bigzak25
07-16-2010, 02:05 PM
http://www.trephination.net/gallery/macros/bs.jpg

2012 will come and go with little fanfare.

The big hulabaloo is that one mayan calandar discovered at one archeological site ends in 2012, a year where there is a particular alignment.

Other mayan calandars extended quite beyond this time, and modern mayan decendents hold no such "world will end" beliefs.

The "end of the world" schtick is a constant theme, with various methods of ending touted or presented. Rapture, rogue planets, etc, all of which have varying degrees of scientific basis.

There is no scientific basis that I have seen putting 2012 as anything other than yet another orbit of our planet around our star, one of billions of such orbits.

There exist some provable, scientifically based existential threats, Gamma-ray bursts, asteroids, comets, etc, but these have always existed. They are however, very very very improbable events. If we were really concerned we could (and should) start getting out into our solar system in a big way. This would effectively eliminate the threats posed by asteroids and comets.

That's about it.

You admit to the alignment. You admit some of the speculation has varying degrees of scientific basis. But your conclusion is that because YOU haven't seen any evidence, then it must all be BS.

Well Sir, unless you are a NASA scientist with top secret clearance posting on Spurstalk, then I might not assume your are correct if that's okay.

The evidence may be there and it's just not being shared with the world. I'm far from a conspiracy theorist, BUT, it just makes sense, that IF such evidence of a 'dooms day' event was on the horizon, that it would be kept top secret until the last possible moment. The governments responsibility would be to maintain the species, select the top medical and scientific people that are age appropriate to have children. Releasing any evidence and thusly, spreading mass panic would serve no cause.

So what I am asking for is that the knowledgeable on this site to give their ideas and speculation as to how the alignment with the massive black hole could impact the earth. Would these solar flares just be the beginning of a heatwave like we've never seen before?

Nbadan
07-16-2010, 07:33 PM
I agree with Random Guy, 2012 is the beginning of the age of enlightenment.. the Mayan calendar will simply start again....what's really killing us is we are poisoning our environment....the Gulf Oil leak alone has altered the ecological food chain...extinction? it's right in front of you....

thispego
07-16-2010, 07:58 PM
2012 will, at the very least, be the end of the world as we know it. NWO?

sabar
07-17-2010, 01:35 AM
My calendar ends at 2011.

Wild Cobra
07-17-2010, 11:49 AM
OMG....

Mine does too!

JoeChalupa
07-18-2010, 04:00 PM
I watched 2012 this morning and I didn't think it was that bad of a movie. It kept my attention during the whole time.

4>0rings
07-18-2010, 06:37 PM
I watched 2012 this morning and I didn't think it was that bad of a movie. It kept my attention during the whole time.
I kept thinking, it's over now.. oh wait. Now it's over... no... ok..

lefty
07-18-2010, 08:20 PM
:lol