PDA

View Full Version : Midsummer Western Conference Rankings

jgome21
07-15-2010, 03:36 PM
www.thehasbeenssports.com (http://www.thehasbeenssports.com)

Check It!

stretch
07-15-2010, 03:38 PM
interesting. their top 4 for the west is the same as my top 4 for the west. someone over there definitely knows shit about basketball.

Ashy Larry
07-15-2010, 03:44 PM
With the array of moves that have been made so far this offseason, I thought it was appropriate to post what I thought to be the best 8 teams from each conference. Today, we’ll begin with the Western Conference. Some big names have moved away from the West (Boozer, Stoudemire to name 2), while guys like David Lee have decided to take their services westward. So, without further adieu, I give you my rankings for the Western Conference:

1.) Los Angeles Lakers – How can you not have them at number 1? With the addition of Steve Blake, the Lakers got even better. Also, they resigned Derek Fisher, who is vital to the Lakers in more ways than one, and appear to be heading towards resigning Shannon Brown. Kobe’s a year older, but has that slowed him down up to this point? Not hardly. And with this being Phil Jackson’s supposed “last year” of coaching, I know the Lakers will want to send him out on a high note. I guess if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. And I’m not moving these guys from the top slot.

2.) Dallas Mavericks – Resign Dirk. Check. Resign Brendan Haywood. Check. Get rid of Erick Dampier and find a suitable replacement. Check. The Mavs seemed to do everything they wanted to do this off-season and more. By moving Dampier, they picked up Tyson Chandler, a guy that will be a major boost defensively and someone, I think, that will fit the Mavericks system better than what Dampier did (which shouldn’t be too hard). With a starting 5 of Kidd, Butler, Marion, Nowitzki and Haywood, this team is primed for a major playoff run.

3.) Oklahoma City Thunder – This team is just scary. They have the strongest young core in all of basketball (my apologies to Portland, folks) and are only going to get better from here. Also, acquiring Cole Aldrich during the draft was an absolute coup for this team, I believe. Sam Presti has built a foundation that few saw coming this soon. I still think OKC could use another playmaker to play alongside Durant and Westbrook, but I think they are still good enough to hold down the number 3 spot right now.

4.) Denver Nuggets – Denver is an interesting team for me. On paper, they can compete with anybody. However, games are never played on paper. You have to think that knowing George Karl is going to be back on the bench will help with team morale, but there has always been something with this team that has told me they are never serious threats to win the West; perhaps they’re an enigma. The addition of Al Harrington will add a major scoring punch for these guys, but with the Carmelo Anthony contract situation, times in Nuggetland are somewhat uneasy. Still yet, this team is a good one. They should contend.

5.) Houston Rockets – A curveball? Hardly. The Rockets were 42-40 and contending for the 8th and final playoff spot late into the season without Yao Ming last year. Now that the big man is finally healthy again, look for the Rockets to be a force. And look for a full year of Kevin Martin to be a major boost for this team. The Rockets still need a back-up center to help Yao (Brad Miller, anyone?), and, obviously, resigning Luis Scola is priority numero uno, but a starting 5 of Brooks, Martin, Ariza, Scola and Yao is one of the best in basketball, and if guys like Chase Budinger, Kyle Lowry and Jordan Hill can continue to improve, this ranking might be doing Houston an injustice. Also, look for rookie Patrick Patterson to get his minutes this year. Make no mistake, the Rockets drafted him thinking he would play this year. He will.

6.) San Antonio Spurs – I hate when I hear people say that the Spurs are getting older. Not necessarily because it’s not true, but because you can never count these guys out. I’ve seen it done too many times. I believe Richard Jefferson opting out was a true blessing for this team (even though there is a chance he resigns for less money), and getting James Anderson in the first round of this year’s draft was an absolute steal. He is going to be a good one. I’m a little hazy with the point guard situation; I’m not sure if this is Tony Parker’s squad anymore with the emergence of George Hill. Anyway you slice it, this team is still going to be competitive, even if Manu Ginobili and Tim Duncan are a year older. And watch out for Tiago Splitter; this could go down as the steal of the off-season. You heard it here first.

7.) Portland Trailblazers – There is so much talent on this squad, but it’s almost like they don’t know how to harness it into having success. Portland has all the makings of an elite squad: a PG who can dish and score (Andre Miller), a star who knows how to put the ball in the hoop and can take over when the game’s on the line (Brandon Roy), and a defensive-guru that can alter a game in a second (Marcus Camby). Is that the makings of a championship team? I suppose not, but you have to figure with some of the key cogs that the Trailblazers have, they should be a lot better than what they have been the last 2-3 seasons. You round out the above 3 players with LaMarcus Aldridge, Greg Oden, Nicolas Batum and the newly-signed Wesley Matthews, and I don’t see how this team doesn’t win 50 games again. Of course, just a couple of seasons ago, everyone was talking about how by this time, they could possibly be the best team in the West. Funny how things work out, isn’t it?

8.) Utah Jazz - The Jazz round out the top 8, though some may argue they should be higher. I don’t believe so. I understand picking up Al Jefferson and Raja Bell was big, and it was, but I think losing a guy like Carlos Boozer is critical. He was an incredibly vital piece to why the Jazz were so good and losing him to Chicago is a huge blow. Ironically, they lost another key piece, Kyle Korver, to Chicago as well. I think Gordon Hayward can slide right in and be as good, perhaps better, than what Korver provided last year, but losing both of those guys wilts any chance, I think, of this team being a major contender.

Just missed the cut: Phoenix Suns, Memphis Grizzlies, Sacramento Kings

dirk4mvp
07-15-2010, 03:45 PM
The Grizzlies will own the 8th seed. If Portland is injured, they will snag the 7th seed and knock the Mavs out in the 1st round.

jag
07-15-2010, 03:48 PM
And watch out for Tiago Splitter; this could go down as the steal of the off-season. You heard it here first

Whoa...this guy must have some kind of inside scoop

Muser
07-15-2010, 03:51 PM
"I’m not sure if this is Tony Parker’s squad anymore with the emergence of George Hill."

Somebody obviously didn't watch the Phoenix series then.

Giuseppe
07-15-2010, 06:43 PM
Somebody obviously didn't watch the Phoenix series then.

Although the scent is persistent.