PDA

View Full Version : BP Stops Oil Leak…

Sportcamper
07-15-2010, 03:55 PM
BP Stops Oil Leak…

All of that whining & complaining, Congressional hearings over nothing!

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/07/15/gulf.oil.disaster/index.html?hpt=C1

Wild Cobra
07-15-2010, 03:59 PM
Let's hope it is stopped. Nothing is certain yet.

admiralsnackbar
07-15-2010, 04:02 PM
Hope the OP is right, but let's give it 3 weeks. BP needs investors to think the leak is fixed right now.

Wild Cobra
07-15-2010, 04:04 PM
Hope the OP is right, but let's give it 3 weeks. BP needs investors to think the leak is fixed right now.
But Obama will bail them out like he did the bank investors, right?

CosmicCowboy
07-15-2010, 04:05 PM
We really won't know till tomorrow. It could still be leaking sub-surface.

MannyIsGod
07-15-2010, 04:12 PM
We really won't know till tomorrow. It could still be leaking sub-surface.

From what I gather thats the biggest fear. If it is then they need to end this test as soon as they see it is leaking there so to prevent the entire thing from collapsing in upon itself.

CosmicCowboy
07-15-2010, 04:22 PM
From what I gather thats the biggest fear. If it is then they need to end this test as soon as they see it is leaking there so to prevent the entire thing from collapsing in upon itself.

I'm sure they will. The good news is that even if they can't just turn it off they will at least have a positive seal and can recover 100% of the oil until the relief wells come in. Assuming, of course, they don't have to leave the site for a hurricane.

boutons_deux
07-15-2010, 04:43 PM
"can recover 100% of the oil"

one long-time oil guy said BP may not want to recover all oil, since fines are based on qty of oil. If some oil is captured, but some is not, then BP scumbag lawyers can always argue down the amt for the fine.

Capturing all the oil now makes it accurately countable, all the way back to the original blowout.

BP will always have its own interest ($$$) as its overwhelming priority, not the interests of the Gulf or the Gulf shore residents. There no way to be too cynical about these and any corporate assholes, they're all guilty until proven innocent.

Winehole23
07-15-2010, 05:56 PM
BP Stops Oil Leak…

All of that whining & complainingis legit.

Congressional hearings over nothing!
Bullshit. Eleven people died.Tens of millions of gallons spilled isn't nothing.

(Part of) US fisheries in the Gulf of Mexico and not a few people who depend on them, are fucked for the foreseeable future.

There will be Congresional hearings, and they won't be over nothing. Capping the well doesn't restore the status quo ante, as you seem to have suggested, Campershell.

Spurminator
07-15-2010, 06:07 PM
:lol I think Camper got you, WH.

DMX7
07-15-2010, 06:59 PM
This whole oil spill never happened. Problem solved.

DarrinS
07-15-2010, 07:30 PM
Oil is evil. Oh well, I think I'll drive down and check my mailbox.

LnGrrrR
07-15-2010, 07:55 PM

Oil only does good things in every way. I poured some in my bowl of Wheaties today and I feel fine.

LnGrrrR
07-15-2010, 07:56 PM
Delicious!

lil'mo
07-15-2010, 08:02 PM
is legit.

Bullshit. Eleven people died.Tens of millions of gallons spilled isn't nothing.

(Part of) US fisheries in the Gulf of Mexico and not a few people who depend on them, are fucked for the foreseeable future.

There will be Congresional hearings, and they won't be over nothing. Capping the well doesn't restore the status quo ante, as you seem to have suggested, Campershell.

10 o'clock in the morning? I just figured she was a raging alcoholic!

DMX7
07-15-2010, 08:05 PM

Wow, talk about a simpleton response.

Winehole23
07-16-2010, 01:44 AM
:lol I think Camper got you, WH.Sure, why not? Maybe I got bored.

It's been pretty dull around here lately.

boutons_deux
07-16-2010, 04:49 AM
Now BP starts spewing lawyers and lobbyists, more toxic than any amount of oil.

admiralsnackbar
07-16-2010, 05:28 AM
Delicious!

Not to mention a terrific aid for weight-loss! :eyebrows

Sportcamper
07-16-2010, 09:25 AM
BP said that they were very sorry…BP capped the well…Lets move on…

Cry Havoc
07-16-2010, 10:18 AM
Wow, talk about a simpleton response.

You must be new here.

Wild Cobra
07-16-2010, 11:22 AM
Now BP starts spewing lawyers and lobbyists, more toxic than any amount of oil.
Can't be anything like all the red ink spewing out of DC.

boutons_deux
07-16-2010, 01:33 PM
WC, parroting the totally hypocritical scare mongering about DEM deficits. Azzhole Kyl exposed you lying fuckers, and McConnell confirmed the entire Repug party agrees with Kyl.

back to oil, and how white corporate "persons" escape punishment, while a couple oz mj gets black/brown kids jail time and a police record

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-10548872

MannyIsGod
07-16-2010, 02:49 PM
So is the cap holding?

Nbadan
07-16-2010, 02:59 PM
Yes, for now, but there are (so far) unsubstantiated rumors circulating that there may be large leaks, possibly subsurface leaks that the MSM, BP and the govt. know about and are not disclosing...

Winehole23
07-16-2010, 02:59 PM
(don't wanna jinx it. Nuff said.)

MannyIsGod
07-16-2010, 03:22 PM
Either way, this cap won't be a permanent fix, right? They'll open the valves in order to start capturing the oil again or they'll try for another top kill, right?

I'm not going to start buying into conspiracy theories until I have proof.

Spurminator
07-16-2010, 03:23 PM
Either way, this cap won't be a permanent fix, right?

Only if they can figure out a way to open up an underwater amusement park around it.

CosmicCowboy
07-16-2010, 03:28 PM
Either way, this cap won't be a permanent fix, right? They'll open the valves in order to start capturing the oil again or they'll try for another top kill, right?

I have read that after tests are complete they will tie into the top of the new valve and open it and start capturing the oil again, but this time with a tight fitting cap. Depending on the test results, if a hurricane comes in they will close the valve when they leave for safety (assuming everything tests fine) and reopen it when they come back. If the tests prove that the casing is damaged and leaking they will still have to leave if a hurricane comes, but they will just leave the valve open and let the oil blow till they come back.

Nbadan
07-16-2010, 03:29 PM

They are planning on capping the well, using cement fed through one of the relief wells to permanently cap that well...

CosmicCowboy
07-16-2010, 03:40 PM
Thats assuming relief well #1 or relief well #2 can actually intersect the bore squarely and actually make a clean penetration. Thats a huge "IF". That will require accuracy measured in a few inches and at those debts +/- five feet is considered extremely accurate. It's gonna take some luck.

boutons_deux
07-16-2010, 04:32 PM
BP Launches Effort To Control Scientific Research Of Oil Disaster

Foreign oil giant BP is on a spending spree, buying Gulf Coast scientists for its private contractor army. Scientists from Louisiana State University, Mississippi State University and Texas A&M have “signed contracts with BP to work on their behalf in the Natural Resources Damage Assessment (NRDA) process” that determines how much ecological damage the Gulf of Mexico region is suffering from BP’s toxic black tide. The contract, the Mobile Press-Register has learned, “prohibits the scientists from publishing their research, sharing it with other scientists or speaking about the data that they collect for at least the next three years.”

http://thinkprogress.org/2010/07/16/bp-closed-research/

==========

BP going into full Exxon fuck-the-victims/save-our-money mode.

Trainwreck2100
07-16-2010, 04:38 PM
Thats assuming relief well #1 or relief well #2 can actually intersect the bore squarely and actually make a clean penetration. Thats a huge "IF". That will require accuracy measured in a few inches and at those debts +/- five feet is considered extremely accurate. It's gonna take some luck.

depths

boutons_deux
07-16-2010, 04:49 PM
they say they have some kind of magnetic instrument to guide the relief hole to the first well pipe

CosmicCowboy
07-16-2010, 04:50 PM
depths

typo

I'm quite proficient at spelling

Trainwreck2100
07-16-2010, 04:55 PM
typo

I'm quite proficient at spelling

spelling's not the problem, it is proofreading. Also that's an impossible typo

CosmicCowboy
07-16-2010, 05:00 PM
spelling's not the problem, it is proofreading. Also that's an impossible typo

whatever makes you feel better dude. I know how to spell. Actually my eyes are going a little and I'm trying to get by with those drug store glasses. My screen is just a hair fuzzy at this distance and I didn't catch it. Can't believe you've spent two friggen posts on a mis-spelled word.

Trainwreck2100
07-16-2010, 05:16 PM
whatever makes you feel better dude. I know how to spell. Actually my eyes are going a little and I'm trying to get by with those drug store glasses. My screen is just a hair fuzzy at this distance and I didn't catch it. Can't believe you've spent two friggen posts on a mis-spelled word.

whether or not it's misspelled is debatable

CosmicCowboy
07-16-2010, 05:17 PM
whether or not it's misspelled is debatable

3 :lmao

Trainwreck2100
07-16-2010, 05:19 PM
3 :lmao

to misspell a word like you did when you said "mis-speled"l is a misspelled word

when you use debt instead of depth you're spelling debt correctly so it's not misspelled. You're just using the wrong word.

CosmicCowboy
07-16-2010, 05:28 PM
to misspell a word like you did when you said "mis-speled"l is a misspelled word

when you use debt instead of depth you're spelling debt correctly so it's not misspelled. You're just using the wrong word.

4:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

Trainwreck2100
07-16-2010, 05:33 PM
4:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

no wonder nobody likes you, you're a dick

CosmicCowboy
07-16-2010, 05:34 PM
5 :lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

Trainwreck2100
07-16-2010, 05:35 PM
5 :lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

5? that had nothing to do with a misspelled word. Do you even know what you are :lmao about?

CosmicCowboy
07-16-2010, 05:36 PM
:lmao

OK

http://www.forumspile.com/Win-Retard_Prize.jpg

SnakeBoy
07-16-2010, 05:47 PM
It's pretty funny hearing Obama talk about this. When it was bad news he always said "BP..." now it's "We...".

CosmicCowboy
07-16-2010, 05:50 PM
Yep. "We" got the oil stopped. See Ya. I'm going to Maine on Vacation. Y'alls beaches are...nasty!

Trainwreck2100
07-16-2010, 05:56 PM
:lmao

OK

http://www.forumspile.com/Win-Retard_Prize.jpg

nice edit i liked the "get a life" response you made better tbh

CosmicCowboy
07-16-2010, 06:02 PM
Both replies essentially said the same thing. The second was just a little more subtle.

Wild Cobra
07-17-2010, 11:14 AM

one long-time oil guy said BP may not want to recover all oil, since fines are based on qty of oil. If some oil is captured, but some is not, then BP scumbag lawyers can always argue down the amt for the fine.

Capturing all the oil now makes it accurately countable, all the way back to the original blowout.

BP will always have its own interest ($$$) as its overwhelming priority, not the interests of the Gulf or the Gulf shore residents. There no way to be too cynical about these and any corporate assholes, they're all guilty until proven innocent.
I think you're being too cynical here. Maybe a little less than normal however. Personally, I don't think your suspicion will be correct. If any continues to leak, it will be harder on the company and investors than being shrouded in mystery. At least I don't find this hypothesis as unrealistic compared to most you have.

Wild Cobra
07-17-2010, 11:20 AM
How do they do that anyway?

Do they use some kind of sonic triangulation?

CosmicCowboy
07-17-2010, 11:39 AM
How do they do that anyway?

Do they use some kind of sonic triangulation?

I honestly don't know. I can't imagine it being GPS based. but the fact that they think they can do it just amazes me.

Wild Cobra
07-17-2010, 11:44 AM
I honestly don't know. I can't imagine it being GPS based. but the fact that they think they can do it just amazes me.
GPS would be flat out impossible at those depth. My best guess is that they use what would be like a passive sonar, listening at three or more points around the hole. For accuracy, the listen to a pulse signal from the drill. Triangulation is then done by time differential of when the receiver sites hear the pulse.

This is how 911 location works for non-GPS cell phones.

CosmicCowboy
07-17-2010, 11:51 AM
Interesting link. Still doesn't say how they locate it. Maybe magnetometers.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/2010/06/relief-wells-will-work-experts-say-but-will-take-time-trial-and-error.html

CosmicCowboy
07-17-2010, 12:37 PM
Here's a clip from another article that discusses it a little more. Still doesn't explain how the directional sensors work.

The company appears to be making progress. Spokesman Graham MacEwen said Friday that the first relief well has now reached 12,090 feet below the floor of the rig, 5,000 feet from the sea floor.

BP interrupted drilling last week to install a blowout preventer, the safety device that's supposed to seal a well in an emergency, but which failed to do so on the main well.

The second relief well, MacEwen said, is 8,650 feet below the floor of the rig.

The relief wells start about a half mile from the original site and try to meet the original at a diagonal.

Drilling a well involves using a pipe that unfolds section by section like an antenna, only upside down.

With each section, the company drills and then pulls out the pipe and puts in casings to form the sides of the well.

Drills are equipped with directional sensors that do three-dimensional surveys to help workers see where the drill bit is and what it's encountering, while metal detectors help guide it toward the metal in the original well.

Once the drills intersect with the original well, typically just above or below where the problem occurred, cement is pumped in to seal it.

Dave Rensink, president-elect of the American Association of Petroleum Geologists, said that drilling a relief well is not that different from drilling a regular well, except that the target is much smaller.

"The only problem is really finding it, " Rensink said of the original well. "You're trying to intersect the well bore, which is about a foot wide, with another well bore, which is about a foot wide. The probability of finding it the first time ... is probably pretty low."

When the company drills into the well casing but misses the right spot, it will need to set a cement plug.

As BP tries to meet the original well, it will need to have plenty of mud on hand, because when the drill actually connects, the mud from the relief well will have a tendency to get sucked into the lower pressure of the original well, and drillers could lose control of the relief well.

"That clearly is a risk. They need to be very specifically prepared when they penetrate the existing well bore, " Rensink said. "You want to make sure you're not creating a problem in your relief well that's the same problem as on your existing well."

CosmicCowboy
07-17-2010, 12:53 PM
Another link that explains the drill positioning a little better...pretty advanced technology. Some pretty smart engineers figured this stuff out.

http://www.energyindustryphotos.com/how_oil_and_gas_wells_are_drille.htm

boutons_deux
07-17-2010, 02:08 PM
"pretty smart engineers figured this stuff out"

oilco can afford the best minds, like Wall St can suck up the best talent.

MannyIsGod
07-18-2010, 09:41 PM
-- Testing of BP well integrity "detected seep a distance from the well" in the Gulf of Mexico, Ret. Adm. Thad Allen says.

MannyIsGod
07-18-2010, 09:52 PM

I'm going back to this because they now want to turn this test into a full time shut off of the well and this is the only plausible reason I can think they would want to do that.

Its obvious that if there are seeps then this is not the way to go but I think BP will try their ass off to push this through. Instead of simply reopening the vales in the cap they're saying they'd have to remove it which would lead to 3 days of oil spilling into the gulf.

Its such a crock of shit.

bigzak25
07-19-2010, 02:13 AM
BP Launches Effort To Control Scientific Research Of Oil Disaster

Foreign oil giant BP is on a spending spree, buying Gulf Coast scientists for its private contractor army. Scientists from Louisiana State University, Mississippi State University and Texas A&M have “signed contracts with BP to work on their behalf in the Natural Resources Damage Assessment (NRDA) process” that determines how much ecological damage the Gulf of Mexico region is suffering from BP’s toxic black tide. The contract, the Mobile Press-Register has learned, “prohibits the scientists from publishing their research, sharing it with other scientists or speaking about the data that they collect for at least the next three years.”

http://thinkprogress.org/2010/07/16/bp-closed-research/

==========

BP going into full Exxon fuck-the-victims/save-our-money mode.

The prohibition is ridiculous and I'm sure our President sees the obvious conflicts of interest here. I hope he tears into them and demands full transparency. This is government data, the People's data...not corporate data. No more keeping secrets from the people to serve corporate interests please.

CU0m6Rxm9vU

boutons_deux
07-19-2010, 04:45 AM
BP shares fall sharply on new seepage fears

Shares in BP have fallen sharply on the London stock market amid fears oil may again be leaking in the Gulf of Mexico.

At one point in London trading, BP was down 5%, before standing 2.42% behind.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-10682402

CosmicCowboy
07-19-2010, 08:37 AM
I'm appalled that they are even considering leaving it capped if they are getting subterranean blowout. It may be showing as a "seep" at the ocean floor but it could be eroding the structural stability of the whole wellhead/blowout preventer etc. The friction of the surrounding seabed against the well bore is what holds everything up. Wash it out on one side and the whole thing could topple over.

boutons_deux
07-19-2010, 08:40 AM
"subterranean blowout"

That's probably too strong at this point, but yes, the oil eroding the supporting sand is clearly what Thad is worried about.

TeyshaBlue
07-19-2010, 09:42 AM
I generally dont put much truck into conspiracy theories other than for their sheer entertainment values....and I'm not suggesting one now. It aint a conspiracy if it's just one guy lying. This oil well blowout has had all manner of scare stories associated with it but few, if any, have had any credible backing. We may be getting some now.

Read the blog post then click the link and listen to the interview. Kunstler is seen by some as an alarmist but he's never gone completely Chicken Little and he characterizes Simmons as a straight shooter. Simmons has a serious and "clean" rep as an industry expert. You will have to decide for yourselves.

Am I being paranoid or am I being paranoid enough?

http://kunstler.com/blog/2010/07/what-if-hes-right.html

CosmicCowboy
07-19-2010, 10:08 AM
While you have your tinfoil hat on you can read this one too...

http://www.helium.com/items/1882339-doomsday-how-bp-gulf-disaster-may-have-triggered-a-world-killing-event

Sportcamper
07-19-2010, 10:16 AM
Anyone else think its great that Joe The Plumber designed the cap that stopped the leak…BP had no idea what they were doing...

boutons_deux
07-19-2010, 10:21 AM
I don't think the methane concentration would be enough and widespread enough to cause a general conflagration reaching to the shore, incinerating people. But it would make a good disaster movie.

After an initial maybe huge flare, it would be mostly limited to the surface where it was bubbling/spewing up, like the Ixtoc blowout. Billions of tons methane into the upper atmoshpere would make coal burning CO2 look like a mild burp. Even the deniers here would be convinced the resulting global warming was anthropogenic (but they'd never be man enough to admit they've been wrong all along.)

There have been reports of the leaks of oil a mile away from the drilling hole, going back many weeks. If the earth farts billions of oil into the Gulf, then

"Houston (and Miami, and Brownsville), We Have a Problem."

DC, (Dems and certainly not the business-friendly Repugs), will never, can never, stand up to the corps and capitalists raping the people and the earth.

Americans is fucked, and unfuckable. Repent, ye Sinners, The End Is Nigh.

TeyshaBlue
07-19-2010, 10:50 AM
I don't think the methane concentration would be enough and widespread enough to cause a general conflagration reaching to the shore, incinerating people. But it would make a good disaster movie.

After an initial maybe huge flare, it would be mostly limited to the surface where it was bubbling/spewing up, like the Ixtoc blowout. Billions of tons methane into the upper atmoshpere would make coal burning CO2 look like a mild burp. Even the deniers here would be convinced the resulting global warming was anthropogenic (but they'd never be man enough to admit they've been wrong all along.)

There have been reports of the leaks of oil a mile away from the drilling hole, going back many weeks. If the earth farts billions of oil into the Gulf, then

"Houston (and Miami, and Brownsville), We Have a Problem."

DC, (Dems and certainly not the business-friendly Repugs), will never, can never, stand up to the corps and capitalists raping the people and the earth.

Americans is fucked, and unfuckable. Repent, ye Sinners, The End Is Nigh.

I don't think it's the risk of explosion, per se, that is the issue with the methane. If true, the mere existence of such a phenomena is pretty alarming.

I posted the Kunstler article because he's got a little cred...he gets excited sometimes, but never into full bore conspiracy-nutville.

TeyshaBlue
07-19-2010, 10:50 AM
While you have your tinfoil hat on you can read this one too...

http://www.helium.com/items/1882339-doomsday-how-bp-gulf-disaster-may-have-triggered-a-world-killing-event

Kunstler ain't exactly a member of the tinfoil hat gang.

CosmicCowboy
07-19-2010, 11:07 AM
Matt Simmons is also short at least 10,000 shares of BP stock so he has a financial interest in trashing BP.

TeyshaBlue
07-19-2010, 11:15 AM
Matt Simmons is also short at least 10,000 shares of BP stock so he has a financial interest in trashing BP.

I saw that too...not sure what to make of it yet.

boutons_deux
07-19-2010, 11:22 AM
"Kunstler article because he's got a little cred."

but he says he doesn't know how/if to believe Simmons.

Simmons shorting BP and then spewing BP-caused catastrophes?

come on, rich people never do that.

btw, if you're nice, I'll introduce you to Fabulous Farbrice running Goldman's Abacus fund. :)

TeyshaBlue
07-19-2010, 11:30 AM
"Kunstler article because he's got a little cred."

but he says he doesn't know how/if to believe Simmons.

Simmons shorting BP and then spewing BP-caused catastrophes?

come on, rich people never do that.

btw, if you're nice, I'll introduce you to Fabulous Farbrice running Goldman's Abacus fund. :)

:lol:lol

boutons_deux
07-19-2010, 10:19 PM
BP weighs ‘static kill’ operation to permanently seal still-leaking well

By Agence France-Presse
Monday, July 19th, 2010 -- 9:58 pm

BP weighs static kill operation to permanently seal still leaking wellBP floated a new option Monday to plug the Gulf of Mexico oil leak and end the economic and environmental disaster sooner than expected.

The "static kill" operation would involve pumping heavy drilling fluids known as mud through the blowout preventer valve system that sits on top of the well and then injecting cement to seal it.

Similar to the "top kill" operation that failed in May, BP believes it will now work because the oil and gas in the runaway well is sealed already by its containment cap so the mud won't need to be forced down so hard"

http://rawstory.com/rs/2010/0719/bp-weighs-static-kill-operation-permanently-seal-stillleaking/

Wild Cobra
07-20-2010, 08:11 AM
Don't they have to complete one of the bypass wells first?

CosmicCowboy
07-20-2010, 09:11 AM
I still think the government/BP are lying to us and know they have subterranean problems with the casing. They want to try to push the oil/methane back down below the leak. TECHNICALLY they might be able to do it but the problem is that if oil/methane has been blowing out the side since last Thursday @ 6000psi it's probably hollowed out a hell of a hole by now. Considering the "seep" as they are calling it is showing up 2 miles from the site thats a lot of void to fill.

Wild Cobra
07-20-2010, 09:16 AM
Considering the "seep" as they are calling it is showing up 2 miles from the site thats a lot of void to fill.
If that is the case, would it be safe to assume this is something that would have happened anyway, and BP simply hastened the wound in the earth?

CosmicCowboy
07-20-2010, 09:24 AM
If that is the case, would it be safe to assume this is something that would have happened anyway, and BP simply hastened the wound in the earth?

Fluid under pressure will take the path of least resistance. Theoretically if all the pressure was relieving out the top and being pumped to tankers the oil/methane wouldn't be squirting out the side of the casing. I think they are hoping the leak is small enough that they can force mud past the leak and then get a cement plug below it to hold.

MannyIsGod
07-20-2010, 11:47 AM
If the seep is 2 miles away then its probably a naturally occurring seep right?

I fucking hate BP.

CosmicCowboy
07-20-2010, 12:02 PM
Not necessarily. Remember this shit is under 6000psi. It can shoot out in the rock strata and run for miles till it finds a break to escape up and out.

boutons_deux
07-20-2010, 12:55 PM
The relief wells are not required to plug up the main hole once it's capped.

The relief wells are required to pullout the flowing oil/reduce the pressure in the unplugged main hole.

The danger of the "static kill" is that pumping plugging stuff into the hole may pop a leak in the main pipe, and worse, well below the surface.

CosmicCowboy
07-20-2010, 12:57 PM
The relief wells are not required to plug up the main hole once it's capped.

The relief wells are required to pullout the flowing oil/reduce the pressure in the unplugged main hole.

The danger of the "static kill" is that pumping plugging stuff into the hole may pop a leak in the main pipe, and worse, well below the surface.

You are wrong. The relief wells are to plug the existing well at the bottom. They will drill into the side of the casing and then inject mud/cement to plug it.

Wild Cobra
07-20-2010, 01:14 PM
You are wrong. The relief wells are to plug the existing well at the bottom. They will drill into the side of the casing and then inject mud/cement to plug it.
From my understanding of physics, that makes perfect sense.

TDMVPDPOY
07-20-2010, 04:20 PM
u guys read this yet?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/breaking-news/bp-to-sell-assets-for-806bn/story-e6frf7ko-1225894829955

BP PLC says it is selling several major assets to Apache Corp for $US7 billion ($8.06 billion) to help pay the costs from the Gulf of Mexico oil spill.

The proceeds will go towards a $US20 billion ($23.04 billion) fund to help pay cleanup costs and damages from the spill.

BP said in June that it planned to shed as much as $US10 billion ($11.52 billion) in assets over the next 12 months.

The sale doesn't include BP's stake in Prudhoe Bay, countering published reports that said a deal for the Alaska field was in the works.

lol why not declare bankrupt :D

CosmicCowboy
07-21-2010, 06:17 PM
Wow. is there a news blackout or something? The ONLY article I could find was about it being hard for the offshore skimmers to find anything to skim...

What happened with the other leak that was a couple of miles from the BP site...last I heard on the news last night was the Government spokesman saying "we decided that leak was from ANOTHER well" and nobody even questioned him on it...WTF? We've got oil /gas leaking through the sea floor and they won't talk about it? WTF is going on?

I'm really not into conspiracy theories normally but something stinks about this one...

Wild Cobra
07-21-2010, 06:41 PM
Yep, looks like the WH doesn't have this disaster to milk any longer...

ChumpDumper
07-21-2010, 08:27 PM
Wow. is there a news blackout or something? The ONLY article I could find was about it being hard for the offshore skimmers to find anything to skim...

What happened with the other leak that was a couple of miles from the BP site...last I heard on the news last night was the Government spokesman saying "we decided that leak was from ANOTHER well" and nobody even questioned him on it...WTF? We've got oil /gas leaking through the sea floor and they won't talk about it? WTF is going on?

I'm really not into conspiracy theories normally but something stinks about this one...Who knows if that place was seeping before?

Is the pressure still holding?

MannyIsGod
07-21-2010, 08:36 PM

They won't have to do this if the static kill works.

LnGrrrR
07-21-2010, 08:58 PM
Yep, looks like the WH doesn't have this disaster to milk any longer...

Because if there's one thing the WH wanted, it's keeping an ecological disaster going as long as possible...

Ignignokt
07-21-2010, 10:03 PM
Because if there's one thing the WH wanted, it's keeping an ecological disaster going as long as possible...

Seems stupid in hindsight right? So why try to milk political capital out of the disaster by demonizing the oil industry as a whole and trying to preach cap n trade?

Winehole23
07-22-2010, 03:53 AM
Yep, looks like the WH doesn't have this disaster to milk any longer...You think this is over? :depressed

Wild Cobra
07-22-2010, 12:44 PM
As Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel once said, "You never want a serious crisis to go to waste."

Wild Cobra
07-22-2010, 12:45 PM
Seems stupid in hindsight right? So why try to milk political capital out of the disaster by demonizing the oil industry as a whole and trying to preach cap n trade?
As Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel once said, "You never want a serious crisis to go to waste."

Wild Cobra
07-22-2010, 12:46 PM
You think this is over? :depressed
Just making fun of Rahm Emanuel. I'll bet he hopes it's not over.

Winehole23
07-22-2010, 12:51 PM
How droll. (Ahem.)

boutons_deux
07-22-2010, 01:09 PM
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT03/refresh/AL0310W5_NL+gif/145913W5_NL_sm.gif

TeyshaBlue
07-22-2010, 01:13 PM
Shit, meet fan.

Wild Cobra
07-22-2010, 01:16 PM
Shit, meet fan.
I doubt it.

Max sustained winds of 35...

TeyshaBlue
07-22-2010, 01:20 PM
I doubt it.

Max sustained winds of 35...

It's 3 days away and lots of warm water between.

boutons_deux
07-22-2010, 01:35 PM
Come on, WC, you know Magic Negro is rooting for this storm to go Level 5 hurricane, so he can keep milking the oil spill news cycle.

MannyIsGod
07-22-2010, 02:35 PM
Come on, WC, you know Magic Negro is rooting for this storm to go Level 5 hurricane, so he can keep milking the oil spill news cycle.

:lol

boutons_deux
07-24-2010, 10:14 AM
Researchers Confirm Subsea Gulf Oil Plumes Are From BP Well

http://www.truth-out.org/researchers-confirm-subsea-gulf-oil-plumes-are-from-bp-well61662?print

TE
07-24-2010, 12:26 PM
These idiots took forever to fix this situation. No sense in even announcing that such thing has been fixed now with all the destruction already perforated.

CosmicCowboy
07-24-2010, 01:11 PM
Researchers Confirm Subsea Gulf Oil Plumes Are From BP Well

http://www.truth-out.org/researchers-confirm-subsea-gulf-oil-plumes-are-from-bp-well61662?print

Hell we knew it was there.

At least I did.

The real test will come this fall winter when the water temperatures at the surface drop and the denser cold water starts sinking and displacing the water below it. Will those plumes surface then?

boutons_deux
07-24-2010, 01:13 PM
I don't think the Gulf surface water ever gets colder, denser, even in Jan/Feb, than the always cold bottom water.

boutons_deux
07-25-2010, 03:23 AM
BP fails to put money in promised escrow account.

"BP PLC has failed to deposit any money into the $20 billion fund it promised to create"

http://thinkprogress.org/2010/07/24/bp-fails-to-put-money-in-promised-escrow-account/

BP lawyers are probably saying there's no legal basis for being "shaken down". BigOil is probaby priming Fox and the rest of the hate media megaphone to spew their lies and defend poor little, victimized white BP being screwed by the dangerous Magic Negro.

Wild Cobra
07-25-2010, 10:00 AM

Yes I know. He could then also say the bush administration didn't rebuild the levies right.

boutons_deux
07-25-2010, 11:47 AM
"didn't rebuild the levies right"

the domestic incompetence and devastation of the Army Corps of Engineers spans decades.