PDA

View Full Version : Best Thing That Could Have Happened To Splitter

Solid D
07-15-2010, 09:58 PM
http://www.realgm.com/images/nba/4.2/profiles/photos/2006/Scola_Luis_hou.jpg

5 years, $47M

Solid D
07-15-2010, 10:04 PM
Scola signing AFTER Splitter signed was good timing for the Spurs.

Luis pulls in a sweet contract and, now, his ex teammate Tiago should be driven to show up big-time.

Blackjack
07-15-2010, 10:05 PM
LScola4

A Rockets for the next 5 years... Couldnt be more happy ...
about 3 hours ago via UberTwitter

tiagosplitter

Grande Luifa!
about 1 hour ago via Twitter for iPhone

And that's why you sign for less to get 3 years . . .

Cane
07-15-2010, 10:17 PM
Going to be fun to see Tiago go up against international talent like Scola and Varejao.

Solid D
07-15-2010, 10:27 PM
The 47 karat carrot for Splitter.

http://goldencarrot.com.au/product_images/uploaded_images/Dangling%20Golden%20Carrot.jpg

Nathan Explosion
07-15-2010, 10:54 PM
Luis pulls in a sweet contract and, now, his ex teammate Tiago should be driven to show up big-time.

The Argentina-Brazil rivalry wasn't enough? Scola is almost making Gino money.

Solid D
07-15-2010, 10:59 PM
The Argentina-Brazil rivalry wasn't enough? Scola is almost making Gino money.

Yeah, it's a friendly rivalry for those two. They tweet each other all the time.

DAF86
07-15-2010, 11:02 PM
Yeah, it's a friendly rivalry for those two. They tweet each other all the time.

We could have had both :depressed

HarlemHeat37
07-15-2010, 11:06 PM
Scola always comes off like he really wants to be a Spur, TBH..

timvp
07-15-2010, 11:13 PM
My meltdown in the Scola trade thread is one of my prouder moments. I remember Solid D having to hit the gym shortly after the trade to burn off some anger :lol

I still can't imagine what the Spurs were thinking when they made that trade. W. T. F.

ElNono
07-15-2010, 11:20 PM
lol Jackie Butler :lol

slick'81
07-15-2010, 11:21 PM
lol matt bonner

MmP
07-15-2010, 11:33 PM
I curse everyday that Scola is not with us. Man that guy is skilled... :(

TMTTRIO
07-15-2010, 11:38 PM
Well it looks like Manu's already been hanging out with him and celebrating with Scola tonight :lol.

http://c0013424.cdn1.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/x2_1f6631d

Juanobili
07-15-2010, 11:44 PM
I remember when they brought Oberto, I don't remember which news station it was but they said something like "He's not Luis Scola, but he might just be as good!"

haha

MI21
07-15-2010, 11:53 PM
My meltdown in the Scola trade thread is one of my prouder moments. I remember Solid D having to hit the gym shortly after the trade to burn off some anger :lol

I still can't imagine what the Spurs were thinking when they made that trade. W. T. F.

:(

I also didn't hate Jackie Butler, thought he had a little something. Double WTF for me.

What ever happened to Jackie, anyway?

Ice009
07-16-2010, 12:11 AM

I also didn't hate Jackie Butler, thought he had a little something. Double WTF for me.

I think someone said he retired.

baseline bum
07-16-2010, 12:11 AM

Link? :lol

Goddamn, that made me mad as fuck to follow Scola for 5 years, watch every Argentina game, and then fuck, he's salary dumped. If I was a millionaire I'd hire Tyson to go give Dennis Lindsey the worst cockpunch in recorded history.

Kindergarten Cop
07-16-2010, 12:13 AM

He got his ring and rode off into the sunset. :lol

jag
07-16-2010, 01:22 AM
Well it looks like Manu's already been hanging out with him and celebrating with Scola tonight :lol.

http://c0013424.cdn1.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/x2_1f6631d

Wow...if you didn't know Manu and Scola and you saw them out at a bar like that, you'd never guess they're worth $47 mil+

timvp
07-16-2010, 01:37 AM
Link? :lol

Goddamn, that made me mad as fuck to follow Scola for 5 years, watch every Argentina game, and then fuck, he's salary dumped. If I was a millionaire I'd hire Tyson to go give Dennis Lindsey the worst cockpunch in recorded history.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73757

Beware, it's a painful read.

admiralsnackbar
07-16-2010, 01:44 AM
Jackie tried to catch on for another contract while still being paid by the rockets for a couple more years. He made the Bobcats summer league roster a couple years ago but didn't play a game for some odd reason. And now he is completely off the map. Hasn't played overseas or even made the news. It's a shame too. I personally think that Jackie was the most talented offensive player on the low block the Spurs have picked up in the past 10 years. Too bad he didn't give a damn. The Oberto/Butler comparison just goes to show that hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

A modest NBA contract would be able to motivate even the laziest of players (Olowakandi, anyone?). Butler must have had more problems than just motivation.

Fpoonsie
07-16-2010, 01:49 AM

:rollin

Pretty sure timvp (and the rest of bold Spurfan) scared off chachi (the op).

And to think, Kori even welcomed him to the board...

Man In Black
07-16-2010, 01:51 AM
A modest NBA contract SHOULD be able to motivate even the laziest of players (Olowakandi, anyone?). Butler must have had more problems than just motivation.

He stands in a long line of could've been bigs if they just worked at it.

Chris Washburn
Stanley Roberts
Michael Suckmywokandi
Thomas Hamilton
Jerome James
Jackie Butler
Eddy Curry

I guess these guys felt that what got them to that point, would get them even further. The world doesn't work that way, if you don't work at it, then you get left behind. There is always someone willing to take your spot, if you let them.

Blackjack
07-16-2010, 01:58 AM
To The Freaking Rockets At Least Trade Them To The East This Is Going To Be The Worst Trade In Spurs History Omg Shoot Me Now

That was rather premeditated. I mean, That Takes Effort And Concentration To Capitalize Like That.

CoNtRollED ChAOs

Bruno
07-16-2010, 02:26 AM
$47M :rollin

I'm glad Spurs aren't the team that will pay him that much money.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-16-2010, 02:36 AM

The Spurs just got owned by the Rockets spy aka Dennis Lindsey. His girly last name should have been a clue.

:rollin

Hooks
07-16-2010, 02:39 AM
fucken spanoulis, I bet KBP was happy as hell

baseline bum
07-16-2010, 02:41 AM

Scola isn't slow. Yao and Butler are centers.

When Scola is average 17 and 5 and Butler proves to be a solid backup center, don't look at me.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/luis_scola/

Luis Scola #4
Forward-Center

2009-10 Statistics
PPG 16.2
RPG 8.60
APG 2.1
EFF +18.78

:depressed

admiralsnackbar
07-16-2010, 02:47 AM
He stands in a long line of could've been bigs if they just worked at it.

Chris Washburn
Stanley Roberts
Michael Suckmywokandi
Thomas Hamilton
Jerome James
Jackie Butler
Eddy Curry

I guess these guys felt that what got them to that point, would get them even further. The world doesn't work that way, if you don't work at it, then you get left behind. There is always someone willing to take your spot, if you let them.

Difference is, all those guys still had careers. Butler just Bobby Fishered.

baseline bum
07-16-2010, 02:53 AM
Fucking bitch... Scola traded for motherfucking Nando de Culo. Why the fuck did Holt have to be a cheap fuck when the team was capable of winning titles and then decide to taunt us by opening his pocketbook once the team was fucking done? :pctoss

EricB
07-16-2010, 03:04 AM
I still am missing how it was Lindsey's fault.

ffcommish
07-16-2010, 03:11 AM
Dug up some gold from our good friend Russ in the Scola trade discussion:

Three guys with unproven NBA talent were traded for each other. This trade is a big nothing.

The positives and negatives of Scola and Butler are strikingly similar.

Plus Side:

Size
Shooting touch
Offense

Minus Side:

Quickness
Defensive potential
Attitude?

Both of the big guys go against the template the Spurs have set up for Duncan's side men.

None of these three will likely ever contribute significantly to an NBA team. (If any ever does, my money is on the Greek guy.)

Once the above is common knowledge, on down the road, the big reaction will be long since forgotten. We just got nothin else to discuss. :wakeup

Well this cool headed fellow certainly hit the nail on the head here. Scola just signed for $47m and the now defunct Jackie Butler has Bermuda Triangled but yeah, they're about even.

People get talent evals wrong all the time so the Butler = Scola take was just a wrong blindfolded guess. What I don't get is why he went out of his way to say his money was on the Greek guy of the 3 players. The Greek guy who in no uncertain terms said he was never coming to the US again and basically cried that he wanted to go home to his mom? That's the guy you put your money on?

Well when you're right, you're right.

This big reaction has loooong since been forgotten.

baseline bum
07-16-2010, 03:18 AM
I can't believe this. 5 years of anticipation. 5 years of thinking the Spurs made a great second round steal. 5 years of thinking the team pulled a fast one on the rest of the league. Watching this guy light up the world in the 2004 Olympics, and knowing the Spurs had his rights. Watching him destroy Jermaine O'Neal and Elton Brand in the World Championships. Continually hearing we had the best player in Euroleague. 5 years of not being able to contain my excitement at seeing this guy in the black and silver.... all that gone in a second, to save Peter Holt $1.5 million in a season where he had the deepest of deep playoff runs to line his pocket. I'm disgusted. I cannot believe the Spurs gave up a guy who will most likely be a solid rotation player, maybe even a good starter, for nothing. A freaking big man on top of that.... and then another big man on top of that.

:pctoss

ffcommish
07-16-2010, 03:22 AM
Spurs could have saved 3 million just by not signing Bonner. No need to trade Scola. Bonner never resigns in 2010. Franchise probably nets another trophy.

alchemist
07-16-2010, 03:43 AM
Bonner resigning makes this that much worse.:depressed

taps
07-16-2010, 03:48 AM
great Scola Thread!! Just starts off with a picture of Luis and a contract number.. The rest took care of itself

diego
07-16-2010, 09:20 AM
$47M :rollin

I'm glad Spurs aren't the team that will pay him that much money.

yeah, it was much better to have RJ last year, or to have dyess + bonner the next 3.

scola was a perfect fit to be the big 3's 4th wheel. considering this summer, and what scola gives (low post scoring, some jump shooting, rebounding, hustle, and durability) I'd say the rockets got a good deal. he's barely over scrubs like gooden or amir johnson

diego
07-16-2010, 09:27 AM
and though I agree with Solid D that splitter should see scola's new contract as motivation, it also cuts both ways- if he struggles to adapt he might collapse under the pressure to replicate scola's success. scola has set the bar for how splitter's stats should translate to the NBA.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-16-2010, 09:45 AM

But we got to keep Matt Bonner.... [/Pop, R.C.]

BG_Spurs_Fan
07-16-2010, 09:49 AM
But we got to keep Matt Bonner.... [/Holt, R.C.]

There, fixed it for ya.

wildbill2u
07-16-2010, 09:50 AM

I think Tim Duncan may have had something to do with it. Duncan has always fought moving to the 5, even as he has slowed with age. Whether it was ego or he didn't want to compete there doesn't matter.

Therefore the endless parade of not quite good enough big men (Rasho, Elson, Nasr, Bonner, Dice, etc.) Oberto was clearly the best of all of them and he still had his limitations.

Therefore Scola would have been a permanent backup to Tim at the 4. Scola was too good and too pricey to be content in that role here. Perhaps they should have signed and traded him later to get a better deal, but it's clear that Scola is a great 4 for Houston. I get to watch him all the time since I live here and he plays with heart, skill and smarts. He's worth every penny of his new contract.

If Tim had been content to move permanently to the 5, we would have had a much better front line over these years.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-16-2010, 09:50 AM
This is like dumping Jessica Alba because she won't swallow and going home with Roseanne Barr.

I hate our front office.

Kermit
07-16-2010, 09:54 AM
What the fuck happened to Whottt?

kaji157
07-16-2010, 10:01 AM
and though I agree with Solid D that splitter should see scola's new contract as motivation, it also cuts both ways- if he struggles to adapt he might collapse under the pressure to replicate scola's success. scola has set the bar for how splitter's stats should translate to the NBA.

I donīt think so, as Scola was widely considered a better player in Europe, while Splitter succeded in Europe this last two years it wasnīt untill Scola left that he was given the go, and Scola succeeded in Europe in years with great big men, while now the discussion is between Splitter and Pekovic and then there are some young prospects but none real bigmen out there.

Splitter has always played on the shadow of Scola and once he was gone, he just tried to make an impact with what heīve got. I hope he continues that trend over here.

I think Splitterīs will make a fair impact, if you take into account that Scolaīs stats on his last year in the ACB were 17 ppg and 7.1 rebound, these ultimatelly translated into 10 ppg and 6 rpg in his first season and topped 16.2 and 8.6 rebounds in his last season barring some adjustments and minutes increase. Splitter on the other hand is coming to the NBA with and ABC average of 15 ppg and 6.7 rpg we can basically expect a first season around 9.5 ppg and 5.5 rpg if Pop lets him play.

Mr. Body
07-16-2010, 10:18 AM

It still makes me want to throw up. I still vividly recall seeing the headline Scola had been traded, opening up the article to read... and... and then... finding out he was used to dump a very small amount of salary.

kaji157
07-16-2010, 10:30 AM
It was a cheap move by the owner and as usual we fans are the ones that got away with nothing.

Solid D
07-16-2010, 03:17 PM

I really don't think our bewilderment about this trade has faded much...has it?

Although I have moved on, I know my disdain for what happened is still there...like an unpleasant scar. Worst trade the Spurs have ever made.

baseline bum
07-16-2010, 03:55 PM
I really don't think our bewilderment about this trade has faded much...has it?

Although I have moved on, I know my disdain for what happened is still there...like an unpleasant scar. Worst trade the Spurs have ever made.

Yes, it was the worst trade then, and looks much much worse with hindsight. A couple of the other really bad Spurs trades like Rodman for Perdue and Gervin for Greenwood were things that had to be done for personal issues, so I can't put them above Scola. The only thing that comes close IMO was Brickowski for Pressey.

MmP
07-16-2010, 06:57 PM
The reason:
a. Spurs thought he'd never adapt to a good role with Duncan playing the same position.

and

b. They weren't planning on sign him, so they just let him go in order to let Luis play in the NBA.

The story goes that Scola arrive to a Rockets team with Francis, T-Mac, Lowry and other ballhogs/shooters and did a pretty good first season. This shows his intelligence on the court.

mystargtr34
07-16-2010, 07:38 PM
Too painful to read...i bitched alot in that thread.

superbigtime
07-16-2010, 10:22 PM
So fucking stupid.