PDA

View Full Version : Anyone not have cable, dish or direct tv?

JoeChalupa
07-16-2010, 08:32 AM
I've been thinking about doing it and just watching what I want online. Hulu, netflix, etc.
Anyone doing that now?

Bender
07-16-2010, 09:15 AM
I doubt it.

I have cable - time warner. but I hate them and was thinking about changing to Dish.

I hate watching tv on my computer.

on the other hand, about all I use my TV for is watching Netflix rentals.

lebomb
07-16-2010, 09:16 AM
Ive had time warner, and dish.............they sucked compared to AT&T.

Dish went out all the time when there was a storm............AT&T doesnt. That was a huge thing for me.

Bender
07-16-2010, 09:18 AM
ok, I guess I don't want to change to Dish then.

Spurminator
07-16-2010, 10:11 AM
I've been thinking about doing it and just watching what I want online. Hulu, netflix, etc.
Anyone doing that now?

I guess it's not a bad idea as long as you don't need to see you shows the day they air. But if you watch a lot of sports this could be a problem.

tlongII
07-16-2010, 10:25 AM
DirecTV baby! Love it!

desflood
07-16-2010, 10:46 AM
We don't have any of it - we do Netflix and Hulu online. It's actually not bad at all.

to21
07-16-2010, 10:49 AM
directv baby! Love it!+1

Bender
07-16-2010, 10:53 AM
so why does Dish say that they are #1 in customer service satisfaction, and say that Direct TV gets an F rating from comsumer reports?

yeah, I know, its a Dish ad, but still they can't blatantly lie about Direct TV.

Udokafan05
07-16-2010, 10:56 AM
DirecTV is great, and they give a lot of free stuff. I also have netflix and its great. Just get both. Can't beat DirecTV sports package.

JoeChalupa
07-16-2010, 11:15 AM
We don't have any of it - we do Netflix and Hulu online. It's actually not bad at all.

There was a link in facebook about this and there were hundreds of responses saying they had dropped cable, dish, or direct all together and use hulu or netflix. I don't really follow any shows and I can get my fix of top chef and other shows on their websites. Yeah, I may not be able to watch them right away but heck I always watch movies months after they are released via red box or online. I figure if I can cut another bill right not do it. I mentioned it and the wife and kids weren't too thrilled about it.

ashbeeigh
07-16-2010, 11:20 AM
I just worry about watching the Spurs when they're on FSW. Or do you get that with the little thingy converter?

Shelly
07-16-2010, 11:25 AM
Isn't Hulu going to subscription based now?

JoeChalupa
07-16-2010, 11:26 AM
I may be watching the Spurs on the radio.

JoeChalupa
07-16-2010, 11:26 AM
Isn't Hulu going to subscription based now?

D'OH!! I think you may be right.

Bender
07-16-2010, 11:27 AM
I mentioned it and the wife and kids weren't too thrilled about it.
since when are wife & kids ever happy?

JoeChalupa
07-16-2010, 11:30 AM
since when are wife & kids ever happy?

:lol School is getting ready to start back up so they won't be watching much tv at all anyhow. I can watch Tiger on espn3.com too.

ploto
07-16-2010, 11:48 AM
I did not have any for about 7 years and this was before you could watch shows on the internet. My kid was young and I mostly watched PBS. Nowdays, a lot of network programming is even on the networks' site eventually. When my kid starts college, I may cancel it.

Frenzy
07-16-2010, 12:01 PM
Spurs games is the reason why I got it. Stay with in summer cause well I dunno..

MannyIsGod
07-16-2010, 12:10 PM
Don't have anything. We have a cable modem and i've hooked up the cable to the TV to get free QAM HD channels so I still get local channels through that but thats nothing I wouldn't get without an OTA antenna.

Sports aren't a problem I just stream them online.

DMX7
07-16-2010, 12:22 PM
Hulu charges for most content now.

bigzak25
07-16-2010, 01:23 PM
Don't have anything. We have a cable modem and i've hooked up the cable to the TV to get free QAM HD channels so I still get local channels through that but thats nothing I wouldn't get without an OTA antenna.

Sports aren't a problem I just stream them online.

I was thinking of going from directv to att, but this seems like a very interesting and cost savings option. I'll look into it as I have no idea what QAM is.

Thanks man! :tu

Viva Las Espuelas
07-16-2010, 02:15 PM
Ive had time warner, and dish.............they sucked compared to AT&T

Word. I'm very happy with uverse. Very very happy. A little bumpy at first but that's when hey were first implementing it in our area. The Hub, the router for everything, is a beast and is pretty easy to set up a network in your home/apt.

PuttPutt
07-16-2010, 02:15 PM
I suspended my Directv account a month ago (testing life without it). It has been a big change not being able to watch all the crap that's on TV. I do miss the sports part of having cable or directv. I've been streaming all live sports - world cup, mls, ufc, & what not. Or I just go to my buddy's house. I bought a digital antenna for regular tv & it pretty much sucks. Mainly because I'm in a valley. So, I pretty much only get a few channels. Although, when I get them it's clear. Netflix has been huge. I get 3 movies at a time & then stream from my ps3 or wii. It's a definate adjustment, but it saves money.

RoddyBukkake
07-16-2010, 03:06 PM
if you want to do it to save money just get a slingbox and have a friend rent an extra set top box for you and you can stream all of his channels to your house for free http://www.slingbox.com/go/slingbox-solo

JoeChalupa
07-16-2010, 03:26 PM
I suspended my Directv account a month ago (testing life without it). It has been a big change not being able to watch all the crap that's on TV. I do miss the sports part of having cable or directv. I've been streaming all live sports - world cup, mls, ufc, & what not. Or I just go to my buddy's house. I bought a digital antenna for regular tv & it pretty much sucks. Mainly because I'm in a valley. So, I pretty much only get a few channels. Although, when I get them it's clear. Netflix has been huge. I get 3 movies at a time & then stream from my ps3 or wii. It's a definate adjustment, but it saves money.

That is what matters to me.

JoeChalupa
07-16-2010, 03:26 PM
if you want to do it to save money just get a slingbox and have a friend rent an extra set top box for you and you can stream all of his channels to your house for free http://www.slingbox.com/go/slingbox-solo

So basically I'd need to pay a friend to share his cable?