PDA

View Full Version : Notebook: Sonics well aware of Spurs' recent past

Kori Ellis
05-17-2005, 12:10 AM
Notebook: Sonics well aware of Spurs' recent past

Web Posted: 05/17/2005 12:00 AM CDT

San Antonio Express-News

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA051705.6D.series.notebook.27fbb8688.html

This time last year, Ray Allen and several buddies were watching television in a Las Vegas hotel room when they came across Game 5 of the Spurs-Lakers series.

Allen doesn't like watching playoff games he's not in, so he went to another part of the room and began ironing clothes.

When the score was close in the final minutes, Allen couldn't resist. He returned to the sofa and saw one of the greatest finishes ever, with Los Angeles' Derek Fisher taking an inbounds pass with 0.4 seconds left and making a long jumper as the final horn sounded.

"We jumped up and screamed, like Derek Fisher was our best buddy and we'd just won the championship," Allen said, laughing.

Fisher's shot only won the game, but it essentially won the series. San Antonio never recovered and was eliminated with four-straight losses after building a 2-0 lead at home.

"You do your job and good things happen," Allen said Monday, sitting across the court from the basket Fisher's shot went through.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich certainly remembers the details. He's just not dwelling on any of them. He has plenty else to worry about after his team's performance in Game 4.

"Different bodies, different situations, different teams. It's nothing I'll look at," said Popovich, whose Spurs matched their most turnovers of the season with 23. Seattle also made 50percent of its shots, the highest percentage the Spurs have allowed this postseason.

—Associated Press

Physically ready: The Spurs appear to be getting a little healthier with each game. Rasho Nesterovic, who started the playoffs with a badly sprained left ankle, made his longest appearance of the postseason Sunday, playing 18 minutes.

So did Devin Brown, who has been bothered by back problems for more than a month. He logged 13 minutes.

Brent Barry, who has been bothered by a sprained right thumb, wore a wrap on his right hand Sunday.

As for fatigue, Spurs guard Manu Ginobili said Monday afternoon he was feeling fresh and "ready to play again right now."

Friendly skies: Playing in the Pacific Northwest, the Sonics typically have farther to travel than most other teams in the NBA. Allen said that can be surprisingly beneficial.

"We travel well, and we travel long," Allen said. "I think the travel on the plane has been very conducive to us really spending time together and getting to know each other and having fun.

"When I played in Milwaukee we had hour-and-a-half flights, two-hour flights, and we were back home. (In Seattle), we get back so much later, but I think the time on the plane has been good for us."

Opening up: During his 20-point effort in Game 4 on Sunday, Seattle guard Luke Ridnour looked a bit more fiery than usual. His teammates were happy to see it.

"It's really good to see Luke show a little emotion," guard Antonio Daniels said. "I told him it's OK to pump your fists. It's OK to scream every now and then."

—Mike Monroe and Mike Finger

beirmeistr
05-17-2005, 12:26 AM
It is the Spurs' past playoff experiences that will be the Sonics' undoing. The Sonics have practically no experience in big games past the first round (maybe just Jimmy Jackson?) while the Spurs are loaded with experience.
good to hear the Spurs are getting healthier by the day.

Tom_Foolery
05-17-2005, 12:38 AM
They do have AD. Remember, he knows how to attack the Spurs because he knows Popovich, his tendoncies, and some of the players...most noteably Tim Duncan.

Ray Allen has also gone further than the 1st round with the Bucks(I think).

milkyway21
05-17-2005, 02:23 AM
"You do your job and good things happen," Allen said Monday, sitting across the court from the basket Fisher's shot went through.

:lol amusing!

if Allen can score a Kobe, certainly there's no Shaq in the Sonics team, just a poor imitation of him in Jerome James.

do the Sonics really believe they could pull a .4 this yr?

don't think so, Rahh:blahhRahh:blah Allen.

ladiesman
05-17-2005, 07:00 AM
They do have AD. Remember, he knows how to attack the Spurs because he knows Popovich, his tendoncies, and some of the players...most noteably Tim Duncan.

Ray Allen has also gone further than the 1st round with the Bucks(I think).

AD also knows how get swepted... Remember? At this point in time, everybody knows everybody's tendencies. It is about who executes better.

GoSpurs21
05-17-2005, 10:51 AM
Ray Allen has also gone further than the 1st round with the Bucks(I think).Lost in the eastern conference finals to 76ers, Glenn Robinson was also on that team

angel_luv
05-21-2005, 04:25 PM
Since Ray Allen enjoyed 0.4 so much, I'm thrilled he finally got his... 0.5 i mean. =)

Ginobilly
05-21-2005, 04:30 PM
"We jumped up and screamed, like Derek Fisher was our best buddy and we'd just won the championship."

Well, enjoy your fishing trip with your buddy Derek Fischer Gay Allen.
:flipoff