PDA

View Full Version : Reigning Black: Part 1: Executing the Plan

MaNu4Tres
07-16-2010, 01:20 PM
Part 1: Executing The Plan
Reigning Black

(Note: The reported Jefferson agreement was -- at best -- premature. The following was posted July, 9 following Ticket 760's report.)

All eyes on the self-proclaimed King as he aired "The Decision," Gregg Popovich, R.C. Buford and Co. awaited the final verdict. The Spurs' front office awaited the biggest and most significant domino to be set into motion, as to reveal the landscape in its wake.

Thanks to Ticket 760 and the Union Leader, we now have an idea as to what this newly found landscape means to the Spurs -- the Spurs have apparently come to agreements with Tiago Splitter, Richard Jefferson and Matt Bonner, which would all-but complete their frontline and lock them into a roster with minimal addition, sans a trade.

Splitter -- a 25-year-old Brazilian bigman -- has long been on both the NBA and Spurs' radar. His draft status became a bit of a running joke, as word of his presence in it goes back to as far as 2004. He was thought to finally declare for the 2006 NBA Draft but with teams reluctant to use a high pick on him for fear of a contract buyout, Splitter would remain with his Spanish team. In 2007, at the age of 22, Splitter became automatically eligible for the NBA Draft. Still under contract and overseas with his Saski Baskonia team -- then sponsored by Tau Ceramica -- the Spurs would select him with the 28th overall pick in the NBA Draft.

Knowing full well Splitter was a year away from joining the team, the Spurs simply capitalized on an opportunity to draft a lottery talent that wouldn't otherwise be available to them. They were competing for championships -- just coming off their fourth -- and the value to be had with the 28th pick was just too great to pass on. Splitter would have another year to season his game in one of the finest leagues outside the NBA -- Spanish ACB -- and would seemingly be available to join the Spurs the following year. But confronted with a severely ill sibling and an economic downturn -- one that presented Splitter with an opportunity to sign a contract worth 8-times the rookie pay-scale the NBA had to offer -- the Spurs would have to wait at least another year. Splitter re-signed with his Spanish League team, Caja Laboral (Tau Ceramica sponsored Saski Baskonia before ceding way to Caja Laboral; like billboards... these things change), on a two-year deal that would keep him overseas through the 2009-2010 NBA season.

Continue Reading >>>> (http://reigningblack.blogspot.com/2010/07/part-1-executing-plan.html#more)

SequSpur
07-16-2010, 02:42 PM
Bonner isn't efficient at shit. WTF? I am sick and tired of you newspaper monday morning quarterback stat readers...Bonner getting minutes doesn't help shit.

Blackjack
07-16-2010, 02:50 PM
LOL Sequ.

I like it, stretch!

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-16-2010, 02:56 PM
I didn't like a 15 million dollar Richard Jefferson. I like a 6 million dollar one.

The Bonner signing, in terms of length and amount, mystify me.

The Splitter signing could play out to be the biggest move of the offseason after the Miami Big Three event.

Blackjack
07-16-2010, 03:05 PM
The Splitter signing in the context of Amir Johnson and others, is mind-boggling.

If Spurs get RJ back at a reduced rate or can swing a sign-and-trade that would net them a suitable replacement, then I'm fine with the Spurs forgoing the current crop of free-agents for the remainder of their MLE or their LLE.

If in the unlikely event the Spurs lose Jefferson without compensation, I'd go Butler. But It wouldn't much matter at that point.

spurspokesman
07-16-2010, 03:18 PM
Bonner isn't efficient at shit. WTF? I am sick and tired of you newspaper monday morning quarterback stat readers...Bonner getting minutes doesn't help shit.

This team needs an enforcer(a mean player with a swagger). I miss sjax and bowen. You really don't win without players like that. People hate on matt barnes but he's that type of player that brings an edge to a team. Shame pop is not high on him.

Bruno
07-16-2010, 03:39 PM
Bonner has been really bad both in the 2008-2009 and the 2009-2010 playoffs.

When you're team, with championship aspirations, it makes no sense at all to spend all that money on a vet who is a proven playoffs choker.

The Bonner signing is just horrible.

Bruno
07-16-2010, 03:46 PM
Bonner's signing = :hang

lefty
07-16-2010, 03:51 PM
Once you go black, you never go back

Blackjack
07-16-2010, 03:59 PM
Bonner has been really bad both in the 2008-2009 and the 2009-2010 playoffs.

When you're team, with championship aspirations, it makes no sense at all to spend all that money on a vet who is a proven playoffs choker.

The Bonner signing is just horrible.

Bonner's signing = :hang

:lol

It is pretty perplexing.

Part of me can see the value in having him on the team and on the roster, as he's good people for the every-day routine and locker room, but when you choose to spend legitimate money on the guy when you've got four clear-cut better Bigs on the roster ... it's perplexing.

It doesn't really matter much other than in the pocketbook for how much they signed him (it's not effecting their MLE or LLE) but I find it hard to believe they'd sign a guy to that kind of contract as a luxury and would Mahinmi him.

Bonner's gonna play, and at the expense of better players.

Bruno
07-16-2010, 04:30 PM
It doesn't really matter much other than in the pocketbook for how much they signed him (it's not effecting their MLE or LLE)

Not now but maybe in the future, it will have consequences.

Wasting money on a bad player like Bonner is the first step that leads to do financial moves down the road. And some people are still bitching 3 years after on a financial move (Butler and Scola traded).

I'm not that against the Bonner signing short term wise because even if he chokes again, Spurs have enough depth in the paint to compensate that. The problem where spending that much money on Bonner could bite Spurs in the ass in a couple of years.

Blackjack
07-16-2010, 04:40 PM
Not now but maybe in the future, it will have consequences.

Wasting money on a bad player like Bonner is the first step that leads to do financial moves down the road. And some people are still bitching 3 years after on a financial move (Butler and Scola traded).

You act as if the Spurs would find themselves dumping a really promising prospect because of a small but less than ideal contract ... oh, wait . . . :downspin:

I don't think this contract of Bonner's will be all that cumbersome or painful down the road because of the transitioning the team's about to undertake, but I still wouldn't have given it to him. I just hope the upgraded talent in the frontcourt will have Pop playing Bonner in a role he can actually be useful: spread the floor to give a different look and eat minutes during the regular season for Duncan and 'Dyess.

If that occurs, I'll be fine and dandy.

Obstructed_View
07-16-2010, 04:40 PM
But but but, He stretches the floor!

Not if nobody bothers to cover him. I was really hoping that notion died when teams stopped double teaming Timmy.

Muser
07-16-2010, 04:44 PM
I would of been okay with Bonner back if it was at a much lower price, he doesn't perform in the playoffs but he can be a decent big for 5/10 minutes a night depending if he gets hot.

Bruno
07-16-2010, 05:03 PM
I don't think this contract of Bonner's will be all that cumbersome or painful down the road because of the transitioning the team's about to undertake, but I still wouldn't have given it to him.

Even Spurs don't know now if Bonner's contract will hurt them in 2 or 3 years (new CBA, Spurs team will have changed a lot...).

Signing Bonner is a high risk, low reward move compared to signing a vet for the min. There is a big financial risk while Bonner won't significantly help Spurs in a playoff run.

Blackjack
07-16-2010, 05:11 PM
Even Spurs don't know now if Bonner's contract will hurt them in 2 or 3 years (new CBA, Spurs team will have changed a lot...).

Signing Bonner is a high risk, low reward move compared to signing a vet for the min. There is a big financial risk while Bonner won't significantly help Spurs in a playoff run.

True, and it's hard to disagree.

Just my opinion and I guess we'll see how bad it really turns out. I think we can definitely both agree this wasn't the prudent move or one we would've done.

BadMotorscooter
07-16-2010, 05:11 PM
I would much rather have a 15 mil expiring contract in Jefferson, than a re-signed Jefferson at a considerably lower price. You cant fit a square peg into a round hole no matter how cheap you get the sqaure peg for. That 15 mil contract could have netted us a very nice player from a team looking for cap space.

Solid D
07-16-2010, 06:17 PM
Bonner isn't efficient at ****. WTF? I am sick and tired of you newspaper monday morning quarterback stat readers...Bonner getting minutes doesn't help ****.

Newspapers? I just buy the Friday one for the Weekender insert and the Sunday paper to see what's on sale.

Blackjack
07-16-2010, 06:38 PM
What if executing the plan takes more than one step; or what if "Executing The Plan" was the name of a movie that needed 2 discs?

:smchode:

Just happened . . .