PDA

View Full Version : Wow...I know Obama was unpopular....but...

CosmicCowboy
07-16-2010, 03:03 PM
I didn't realize it was THIS bad. And THIS was a normally Democrat leaning poll....

http://hotair.com/archives/2010/07/15/ppp-obama-palin-tied-4646-in-2012-polling/

PPP: Obama, Palin tied 46/46 in 2012 polling

POSTED AT 12:55 PM ON JULY 15, 2010 BY ED MORRISSEY

No, this is not coming from Rasmussen or an internal GOP poll, but from the normally Democrat-sympathetic Public Policy Polling. PPP pitted Barack Obama against five potential Republican challengers for the 2012 presidential campaign, and the only one Obama beat was … Jan Brewer. Even that, PPP admitted, resulted from Brewer’s lack of name recognition. The headline, though, is Sarah Palin’s dead heat with the President:

With his approval numbers hitting new lows it’s no surprise that Barack Obama’s numbers in our monthly look ahead to the 2012 Presidential race are their worst ever this month. He trails Mitt Romney 46-43, Mike Huckabee 47-45, Newt Gingrich 46-45, and is even tied with Sarah Palin at 46. The only person tested he leads is Jan Brewer, who doesn’t have particularly high name recognition on the national level at this point.

It’s not that any of the Republican candidates are particularly well liked. Only Huckabee has positive favorability numbers at 37/28. Romney’s at 32/33, Gingrich at 32/42, Palin at 37/52, and Brewer at 17/20. But with a majority of Americans now disapproving of Obama it’s no surprise that a large chunk of them would replace him as President if they had that choice today.

There are two things driving these strong poll numbers for the Republican candidates. The first is a lead with independents in every match up. Romney leads 48-35 with them, Gingrich is up 50-39, Huckabee has a 46-40 advantage, Palin’s up 47-42, and even Brewer has a 38-37 edge.

In case one wonders whether PPP’s sample is to blame, the partisan split favors Democrats by five points, 39/34. That’s probably overstating the actual size of the gap and the percentage of Democrats in the general population, which means that the independents got short shrift as well. Also note that this poll surveyed registered voters, not likely voters — a sampling technique that would tend to favor Democrats and Obama a little more.

The news is almost uniformly bad for Obama in the poll. His approval rating is now seriously underwater at 45/52. That gets even worse among independents, 40/56. He doesn’t get above 46% in any matchup with Republicans, not even Jan Brewer, whom he beats 44/36, with 20% undecided.

For Palin, the numbers show she can play against Obama. She pulls 8% of those who voted for Obama in 2008 and 35% of those who “don’t remember” (?!?), which puts her on par for outreach with Gingrich (9%, 40%), Romney (9%, 32%), and slightly better than Huckabee (6%, 32%). If that’s not vindication for those who argued that Palin couldn’t do as well with unaffiliated voters, it’s cetainly something close to it.

Update: There seems to be some confusion in the comments over the number of people who claimed not to remember how they voted in 2008. That was 9% of the respondents in the survey (combined with those who voted third party). Since Obama won the 2008 popular vote by seven points (53/46) and this Dem +5 poll shows only 46% of respondents acknowledging their vote for Obama, I’d say it’s a healthy probability that most of that 9% voted for Obama and don’t want to acknowledge it now. Of that 9%, Palin wins 35%, Gingrich wins 40%, and so on.

florige
07-16-2010, 03:13 PM
I believe that Bill Clinton was in the high 30's during his first term at some point, and Reagan was in the 40's. Both won re-election

Nbadan
07-16-2010, 03:14 PM
Remember, TIME recently had Palin getting her butt kicked by Obama (a 20-plus spread).

But this poll from Time is interesting.

Interesting because while it was still a year out from the election - Clinton was not entirely unpopular and still losing.

1. Clinton's job rating stands at 50% approve and 45% disapprove.

2. Forty-seven percent approve of Clinton's handling of the economy, the same as in January.

3. In head-to head match-ups, the poll finds Dole would best Clinton 52% to 44% among all registered voters

We know how that election turned out.

At 50% approval, Clinton was losing a hypothetical race to Dole by eight points. Just puts things into perspective, eh?

Source: Time (http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/msg04399.html)

clambake
07-16-2010, 03:22 PM
i haven't thought of huck since he released a killer.

George Gervin's Afro
07-16-2010, 03:24 PM
now we're pimping hypothetical matchups that could happen 2 yrs in the future?

:rolleyes

George Gervin's Afro
07-16-2010, 03:26 PM
I didn't realize it was THIS bad. And THIS was a normally Democrat leaning poll....

http://hotair.com/archives/2010/07/15/ppp-obama-palin-tied-4646-in-2012-polling/

PPP: Obama, Palin tied 46/46 in 2012 polling

POSTED AT 12:55 PM ON JULY 15, 2010 BY ED MORRISSEY

No, this is not coming from Rasmussen or an internal GOP poll, but from the normally Democrat-sympathetic Public Policy Polling. PPP pitted Barack Obama against five potential Republican challengers for the 2012 presidential campaign, and the only one Obama beat was … Jan Brewer. Even that, PPP admitted, resulted from Brewer’s lack of name recognition. The headline, though, is Sarah Palin’s dead heat with the President:

With his approval numbers hitting new lows it’s no surprise that Barack Obama’s numbers in our monthly look ahead to the 2012 Presidential race are their worst ever this month. He trails Mitt Romney 46-43, Mike Huckabee 47-45, Newt Gingrich 46-45, and is even tied with Sarah Palin at 46. The only person tested he leads is Jan Brewer, who doesn’t have particularly high name recognition on the national level at this point.

It’s not that any of the Republican candidates are particularly well liked. Only Huckabee has positive favorability numbers at 37/28. Romney’s at 32/33, Gingrich at 32/42, Palin at 37/52, and Brewer at 17/20. But with a majority of Americans now disapproving of Obama it’s no surprise that a large chunk of them would replace him as President if they had that choice today.

There are two things driving these strong poll numbers for the Republican candidates. The first is a lead with independents in every match up. Romney leads 48-35 with them, Gingrich is up 50-39, Huckabee has a 46-40 advantage, Palin’s up 47-42, and even Brewer has a 38-37 edge.

In case one wonders whether PPP’s sample is to blame, the partisan split favors Democrats by five points, 39/34. That’s probably overstating the actual size of the gap and the percentage of Democrats in the general population, which means that the independents got short shrift as well. Also note that this poll surveyed registered voters, not likely voters — a sampling technique that would tend to favor Democrats and Obama a little more.

The news is almost uniformly bad for Obama in the poll. His approval rating is now seriously underwater at 45/52. That gets even worse among independents, 40/56. He doesn’t get above 46% in any matchup with Republicans, not even Jan Brewer, whom he beats 44/36, with 20% undecided.

For Palin, the numbers show she can play against Obama. She pulls 8% of those who voted for Obama in 2008 and 35% of those who “don’t remember” (?!?), which puts her on par for outreach with Gingrich (9%, 40%), Romney (9%, 32%), and slightly better than Huckabee (6%, 32%). If that’s not vindication for those who argued that Palin couldn’t do as well with unaffiliated voters, it’s cetainly something close to it.

Update: There seems to be some confusion in the comments over the number of people who claimed not to remember how they voted in 2008. That was 9% of the respondents in the survey (combined with those who voted third party). Since Obama won the 2008 popular vote by seven points (53/46) and this Dem +5 poll shows only 46% of respondents acknowledging their vote for Obama, I’d say it’s a healthy probability that most of that 9% voted for Obama and don’t want to acknowledge it now. Of that 9%, Palin wins 35%, Gingrich wins 40%, and so on.

he's within the margin of error? when he's at his lowest polling numbers? The GOP is in serious trouble in 2012...:lmao

Winehole23
07-16-2010, 03:28 PM
Only Huckabee has positive favorability numbers at 37/28.:rollin

CosmicCowboy
07-16-2010, 03:31 PM
he's within the margin of error? when he's at his lowest polling numbers? The GOP is in serious trouble in 2012...:lmao

Who says he's at his lowest polling numbers? He's still dropping like a rock.

TeyshaBlue
07-16-2010, 04:36 PM
There's lots of goodies in this poll, but ultimately, they're held hostage by the polling population.

Liberal .................................................. ........... 19%
Moderate.......................................... ............... 38%
Conservative...................................... ............. 43%

Palin scores within the MOE...big whoop.:lmao

EmptyMan
07-16-2010, 04:36 PM
Newt or Hillary will be the 2012 winnaaar.

TeyshaBlue
07-16-2010, 04:37 PM
There sure have been a shit load of poor polls in the last few years.

Galileo
07-16-2010, 04:41 PM
It doesn't matter. Palin is going to be backing Ron Paul for president next year.

CosmicCowboy
07-16-2010, 04:45 PM
There sure have been a shit load of poor polls in the last few years.

Llmao

Yeah, I read this one and kind of went WTF?

Wild Cobra
07-17-2010, 11:09 AM
I believe that Bill Clinton was in the high 30's during his first term at some point, and Reagan was in the 40's. Both won re-election
Well, as things are looking now, if he doesn't muster more trust in the people, and he wins in 2004... Then we know there is cheating involved.

Wild Cobra
07-17-2010, 11:10 AM
Newt or Hillary will be the 2012 winnaaar.
Newt has some serious baggage. Hillary a little less. However, I could see either winning against Obama now.

CosmicCowboy
07-17-2010, 11:55 AM
More likely O dumps Biden and runs with Hillary as VP. DNC won't like Hillary going renegade and will be doing everything they can to prevent it. This way DNC promises Hillary "You're next" after O.

Yonivore
07-17-2010, 01:01 PM
Neither one of them FUBARed the country.

Yonivore
07-17-2010, 01:03 PM
There's lots of goodies in this poll, but ultimately, they're held hostage by the polling population.

Liberal .................................................. ........... 19%
Moderate.......................................... ............... 38%
Conservative...................................... ............. 43%

Palin scores within the MOE...big whoop.:lmao
I'd have to find the report but, isn't that pretty much how Americans self-identify...making it a fair and representative poll? I know I heard that only 20% of Americans identify themselves as Liberal.

Wild Cobra
07-17-2010, 01:21 PM
I'd have to find the report but, isn't that pretty much how Americans self-identify...making it a fair and representative poll? I know I heard that only 20% of Americans identify themselves as Liberal.
I agree with you. I don't see that as being an adequate representation of the truth based on voting results.

Not if that data were actually true, that would mean democrats have to cheat to win. Maybe this ACORN thing is real?

LnGrrrR
07-17-2010, 01:22 PM
It's probably because some liberals identified themselves as "progressives" since "liberal" can sometimes be a perjorative word.

Yonivore
07-17-2010, 01:29 PM
I agree with you. I don't see that as being an adequate representation of the truth based on voting results.

Not if that data were actually true, that would mean democrats have to cheat to win. Maybe this ACORN thing is real?
A lot of Democrats (and those who vote Democrat) do not self-identify as liberal but, as moderate to independent.

Yonivore
07-17-2010, 01:30 PM
It's probably because some liberals identified themselves as "progressives" since "liberal" can sometimes be a perjorative word.
If that were the case, it would be one of the categories in the poll, no?

I think many of them self-identified as moderate. There's not as many liberals or "progressives" as one would think by the outcome of the 2008 election.

Winehole23
07-17-2010, 04:17 PM
Neither one of them FUBARed the country.If true, it would seem you minimize the roles of Summers and Rudin, the significance of the repeal of Glass-Stegall, and sine qua non innovation in the area of financial products.

Q:What do all these have in common?

A: A Clinton administration pedigree.

Winehole23
07-17-2010, 04:20 PM
(Yoni's zeal to blame Obama is so keen that he is apparently willing to let Bill Clinton off scot-free.)

beachwood
07-19-2010, 10:48 PM
Anyone who seriously would vote for Palin should be shot for idiocy.

beachwood
07-19-2010, 10:50 PM

You are correct.

Obama has a 46% approval rating. At this same point (18 months) in their presidencies, Clinton was at 43% and Reagan was at 42%.

Wild Cobra
07-21-2010, 12:09 AM
Anyone who seriously would vote for Palin should be shot for idiocy.
I could say anyone who voted for Obama should be shot for idiocy.

Winehole23
07-21-2010, 03:57 AM
MzDoAPxSOko