PDA

View Full Version : Sports Illustrated-A big omission

Man In Black
07-17-2010, 02:59 AM
There's an article in this week's SI that talks about famous trios due to the new triumvirate of Wade, Bosh, & James. You can't miss the mag, it's Red with those guys plastered all over the front.

They talk about a bevy of trios from all over the entertainment spectrum.

If you watched the movie, Slapshot, you'd know who the Hanson Brothers were.
If you listened to pop music in the 90's you'd know who the Band Hanson was.

They talked about how Pierce, Allen, & Garnett formed a New Big Three in 2008.

Yet, in all of the trios, of which there were quite a few, the Big Three of Duncan, Parker, & Ginobili weren't mentioned. 3 titles won with these guys as the driving force, you'd think that would count for something.

I'm used to the 4-letter not covering the Spurs(Did you have a hard time finding the Splitter signing on their NBA page? I did) But for SI, to do it....I'm :ihit mad.
That is quite the omission. :nope

Should I send a letter to the editor? Should it be more than just me?

PM5K
07-17-2010, 03:08 AM
Yup, letter.

You just can't argue with three All-Stars and three NBA Championships, and one of it not the best winning %'s of the past ten years. It's not like it's an opinion, it's backed up by facts.

Leonard Curse
07-17-2010, 04:15 AM
count me in 4 sending a letter, let me know how you decide to approach this.
im glad you brought this up i have noticed the summer power rankings, acquisition rankings and just general hype for the spurs is more than dead.
It pisses me off that after we get past the 2nd seed WEST mavs with (manu broken nose) (parker comin off injury) we drop further than the mavs?? lol after we obtained a finals MVP 7fter in his prime who fits so well w/in our system, a lottery pick ala J.anderson who fell to us once again in the draft and dejuan blair becoming more of a beast in his second season with all this we are now ranked i think 12th?? are you freaking kidding me!!!

i even saw some of our fans post (tiago splitter hype)in the nba section of spurs talk so we can get some recognition!! i think were all a little freaked out that no one and i mean no one considers us contenders anymore.

pop loves this though, i also think thats why hes keeping anderson out of summer league! we need the element of suprise against teams/refs i.m.o however if the NBA could erase our Rings i honestly feel like they would they hate talking about us, yet they copy our every method of business. sorry for the rant

Obstructed_View
07-17-2010, 09:42 AM
Color me completely unsurprised. Watched an old NBA draft on ESPN classic the other day and they actually cut the pick of Alivin Robertson out of the show.

timtonymanu
07-17-2010, 09:54 AM
That right there is inexcusable.

I'd say send the letter.

They were the Big 3 of the '00 decade. They have to be in there.

gospursgojas
07-17-2010, 09:58 AM
Pierce, Allen, Garrnet = 1 championship

Manu, Tony, Tim = 3

Yet no mention....just silly

timtonymanu
07-17-2010, 10:02 AM
Pierce, Allen, Garrnet = 1 championship

Manu, Tony, Tim = 3

Yet no mention....just silly

not to mention

Celtics' Big 3 = 1-1 in the NBA Finals
Spurs' Big 3 = 3-0 in the NBA Finals

gospursgojas
07-17-2010, 10:03 AM
not to mention

Celtics' Big 3 = 1-1 in the NBA Finals
Spurs' Big 3 = 3-0 in the NBA Finals

:tu

lotr1trekkie
07-17-2010, 10:03 AM
Not that surprising really. Most media sources have written off the Spurs. They are already plotting a Heat vs Lakers final. We will do our stealth thing again. The only way we get any press this year is if we come out of the gates smoking.

wut
07-17-2010, 10:10 AM
count me in 4 sending a letter, let me know how you decide to approach this.
im glad you brought this up i have noticed the summer power rankings, acquisition rankings and just general hype for the spurs is more than dead.
It pisses me off that after we get past the 2nd seed WEST mavs with (manu broken nose) (parker comin off injury) we drop further than the mavs?? lol after we obtained a finals MVP 7fter in his prime who fits so well w/in our system, a lottery pick ala J.anderson who fell to us once again in the draft and dejuan blair becoming more of a beast in his second season with all this we are now ranked i think 12th?? are you freaking kidding me!!!

i even saw some of our fans post (tiago splitter hype)in the nba section of spurs talk so we can get some recognition!! i think were all a little freaked out that no one and i mean no one considers us contenders anymore.

pop loves this though, i also think thats why hes keeping anderson out of summer league! we need the element of suprise against teams/refs i.m.o however if the NBA could erase our Rings i honestly feel like they would they hate talking about us, yet they copy our every method of business. sorry for the rant
Not only that but you might also remember the Spurs were even considered contenders due to the RJ signing last summer, to many in the media.

Honestly it's ok though; low expectations, along with less question marks this upcoming season will help drive the team to be better faster and will put the team in a better position to go further in the playoffs. Last season the Spurs had an easy schedule at the beginning and wasted it due to trial and error for the new personnel. I mean we were starting Finley at the start of last season!

Pop knows more about Blair, McDyess and RJ. His main focus will be trying to find a way to have our 3 point shooters gain efficiency as well as seeing where Splitter fits and with which lineup best. The team seemed to understand their roles defensively with the current roster (towards the end of the season); so the defense should be improved this season as well.

If the Spurs can still find a way to pick up RJ and trade him for a valuable 3 point shooter that can stay in front of his man defensively, we should be really solid this season; if not, things will be iffy....Western Conference finals at best.

spursfan1000
07-17-2010, 10:38 AM
Send the dam letter.

FromWayDowntown
07-17-2010, 10:59 AM
I won't try to defend SI, but I suppose that if you wanted to differentiate the Spurs trio from those mention, the groups that they mention are groups in which all 3 guys are multiple-time All-Stars. While Tim and Tony are perennial all-stars, Manu really hasn't been (though he was robbed of an A/S spot a couple of years ago and really should have been selected more than once).

Here's what I don't get in this current buzz: I keep hearing that even great players need superstar help to win titles; this is why, of course, Lebron hasn't been able to win in Cleveland. The hacks talk of the Kobe/Shaq and Kobe/Gasol marriages, the Jordan/Pippen marriage, the Wade/Shaq marriage, and even of the Magic/Kareem and the Celtics Big 3.

So, Tim Duncan sits out there with 4 titles. Nobody talks much about his teammates as forming a historically significant Big 3 -- certainly, they're not much viewed as being on par with the above-mentioned groups. If even superstars need superstar teammates to win and Tim Duncan's cast isn't comprised of guys who warrant mention in these sorts of conversations, is Tim Duncan THAT great -- that unlike the stars who've needed superstar sidekicks to win titles, he's done it without that kind of help? Or are his teammates underrated historically, making their omissions are inexcusable from lists like this?

I realize that I'm not the first to offer that observation, but I have to get it off my chest.

Cane
07-17-2010, 12:03 PM
Did that SI writer not even watch the god damn The Decision? Even LeBron mentioned some of the past Spurs greats and how they had big 3's to win titles.

Silver&Black
07-17-2010, 12:43 PM
I stiil get no respect....

http://egmnblog.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/rodney2.jpg

TMTTRIO
07-17-2010, 05:32 PM
I won't try to defend SI, but I suppose that if you wanted to differentiate the Spurs trio from those mention, the groups that they mention are groups in which all 3 guys are multiple-time All-Stars. While Tim and Tony are perennial all-stars, Manu really hasn't been (though he was robbed of an A/S spot a couple of years ago and really should have been selected more than once).

True. Manu really hasn't been much of an AS like some of the other Big 3 members of a group so if we're talking about talent I could probably understand but if we're talking about team chemistry then yes we should be up there.

alchemist
07-17-2010, 09:50 PM
same shit, different day (media's disrespect)

spurs1990
07-17-2010, 09:53 PM
Maybe the fact that Manu doesn't even start (regularly) led SI to discount the Spurs' players.

ploto
07-17-2010, 10:11 PM
I think it probably has more to do with the fact that many of the other trios are perceived as more equal-- such as Pierce, Allen, & Garnett-- but Timmy is way above Tony and Manu.

analyzed
07-17-2010, 10:35 PM
Manu might not be a regular all star, but the guy has an All NBA team slot to his credentials , plus an Olympic Gold. If you did a survey among NBA players I would'nt be surprised if Manu would be rated higher than a perenial all star like Vince Carter. One of the reasons Manu is not a regular all star is he really plays best after the all star game leading torward the playoffs when it counts most. Plus Kobe and Tmac shooting guards like Manu automatcally got all star slots for majority of the last 8 years for the west

Silver&Black
07-17-2010, 10:36 PM
I think it probably has more to do with the fact that many of the other trios are perceived as more equal-- such as Pierce, Allen, & Garnett-- but Timmy is way above Tony and Manu.

I wouldn't say "way above Tony and Manu". To me, take it with a grain of salt, Manu has been the most valuable/consistent Spur for the past 2 seasons. I would definately say that he is at least "equal" to Timmy. And Tony won the 07 Finals MVP. That's gotta say something. (Ray Allen and KG don't have one of them)

Timmy is definately ahead of the other two, but not by as much as think.

:flag:

Silver&Black
07-17-2010, 10:37 PM
same shit, different day (media's disrespect)
I know what you mean :bang

SouthTexasRancher
07-17-2010, 10:45 PM
SKEEEEEEREWWWWWWWWWW
sports illustrated---and---espn...!!!!!!!!!

Both are totally worthless and have been for a long time. Bunch of fags and fairies who never played any sport in their life except for 'Hide The Sausage' with one another when they are asked to use what little gray material that is actually in their simpleton air-heads.

Leave out all the great Big 3's of the Celtics over the decades. Leave out all of the other Laker teams, Piston teams and our own Big 3's of Tim, David & Sean and now Tim, Manu & Tony. They pick little lebron, DWade & CBosh who haven't won a damn thing and the 2008 Celtics of Garnet, Pierce & Allen. :nope

Damn, all I can do is :lolROTFFALMFAO@ThoseClowns:lol. Bunch of jerkoff idiots who don't seem to know a basketball from a soccer ball. Well Kiss my ASS si & espn...! :ihit:rollin:ihit

LoneStarState'sPride
07-18-2010, 03:49 AM
I know I shouldn't be surprised by this latest slight. I really shouldn't. But dammit, this just sticks in my craw in the worst way. Of all the big 3's this decade, San Antonio's has been the most successful, and it's not even close. It's a damn shame. I could rant longer, but I know I'm preaching to the choir here. Here's hoping history remembers the 00s with an emphasis on the real "big 3"--the one that went 3-0 in NBA finals.

analyzed
07-18-2010, 04:21 AM
SI list seems to me , more a list of 3 players who have the most credentials rather than what they accomplished together. Hence Miam's 3 are in it without winning anything, if this is the case then Houston's Dream, barkeley and Pip should be in it, what a joke. Its silly to fault the spurs big 3 for Manu not being an all star , Rey Allen was never an all star with the Celts, somethings got to give when you play together and win

Man In Black
07-21-2010, 12:48 AM
Here's the list of SI's Superstars a' Trois
1492 Nina, Pinta, & Santa Maria
1844 Athos, Porthos, & Aramis
1910 Tinkers to Evers to Chance
1923 The 3 Stooges
1937 Huey, Duey, & Louie
1962 Jules et Jim
1968 Crosby, Still, & Nash
1968 Chamberlain, Baylor, & West
1975 The 3 Man Group known as RUSH
1976 Charlie's Angels, followed by Three's Company
1977 The Hanson Brothers from Slap Shot
1988 Rob Lowe makes threesomes popular
1988 Riley trademarks the tem three-peat
1995 Seinfield Jerry's 2 female roomates wants to do a threesome but Jerry says no
1996 The band Hanson
2007 Garnett, Allen, & Pierce

So again, where are the 3 time 3 way triumvirate of Duncan, Parker, & Ginobili?

Thompson
07-21-2010, 12:50 AM
Send the letter.

ploto
07-21-2010, 08:09 AM
I wouldn't say "way above Tony and Manu". To me, take it with a grain of salt, Manu has been the most valuable/consistent Spur for the past 2 seasons.

TD is the best PF ever in the history of the NBA. That puts him way above Tony and Manu.

I am wondering what Spurs team you have been watching to claim that Manu has been the most consistent Spur the past 2 seasons.