PDA

View Full Version : Josh Howard or Richard Jefferson?

TheBigFundamental
07-17-2010, 07:27 AM
Why not Howard with spurs uniform?

Muser
07-17-2010, 07:39 AM
Jefferson, but I wouldn't mind Howard for cheap.

Anonymous Cowherd
07-17-2010, 08:20 AM
on an equal basis? Jefferson.

If Howard would sign for $2.3m starting salary? Howard.

eisfeld
07-17-2010, 08:30 AM
He is probably too expensive - after his huge contract he's probably seeking something between 4-5 millions/season. And I'm sure one team will offer him that kind of contract.

If he decides to sign for less, the Spurs should take a look. Depends on RJ's decision obviously. I'd rather have Jefferson back because he should know the system right now. Howard on the other hand would have a hard time learning the system - he's a nut IQ wise.

Mel_13
07-17-2010, 08:31 AM
Why not Howard with spurs uniform?

1. He wrecked his knee in February and is unlikely to be ready for opening night. Even before the knee injury, he had the ankle issues which may still exist. In any event, he is not a reliable option for major minutes in 2010-11.

2. If proven healthy, Howard would certainly be able to command an MLE level offer. The Spurs can't offer a contract that starts any higher than 2.4M for the first season. There's really no reason for Howard to accept a contract that small in July. There are at least 20 teams that can offer more and Howard can use the summer to complete his rehab and increase his value.

tdunk21
07-17-2010, 08:34 AM
we dont have cap space to sign howard unless he wants to take the rest of the MLE or the LLE to be in a spurs uniform and kick some mavs ass in the playoffs

lotr1trekkie
07-17-2010, 08:46 AM
Jefferson, hands down. We don't sign Mav rejects, they sign ours. [forget Fin-he was a Cuban freebee]

TDMVPDPOY
07-17-2010, 08:57 AM
sign n trade makes sense

Danny.Zhu
07-17-2010, 09:01 AM
There's no way we could get him.

I thought his defense is much better than RJ's.

mudyez
07-17-2010, 10:00 AM
Howard is washed up (probably due to injuries)...offensively an average jumpshooter, that fears going hard to the basket and defensively nothing special anymore.

I'd say he is on about the same level as RJ, but RJ already has this one important year in our system and I see more upside in him, as he has better physical tools!

spursfan1000
07-17-2010, 10:36 AM
The only way I could think to get Howard is a sign and trade for RJ...but im not too sure Howard is any good anymore after all these injuries year after year. Howard was nice a couple years ago but he has become injury prone and not reliable, plus Jefferson has a year under the Spurs system, so I say pass on Howard.

bigfan
07-17-2010, 10:44 AM
Howard wont fit in with Coach Pop. The guy is a lazy pothead and his antics would drive Pop to murder him after a short time.

ducks
07-17-2010, 10:46 AM
Howard wont fit in with Coach Pop. The guy is a lazy pothead and his antics would drive Pop to murder him after a short time.

did sj:hat

wut
07-17-2010, 10:54 AM
agree with bigfan, no point in bringing in Josh Howard; guy would end up in Pop's doghouse in less than 3 months.

rayray2k8
07-17-2010, 11:00 AM
Ya'll do realize that Howard won't be able to play till the Spring, right?

Cane
07-17-2010, 11:43 AM
Shit on RJ all ya want, that guy's about as durable as they come. Closest Spur to Bruce Bowen when it comes to health.

Josh Howard gets into stupid shit off the court with management and the police and gets injured.

Stop making threads where the conclusion is RJ ftw god dammit!

AFBlue
07-17-2010, 11:50 AM
Ya'll do realize that Howard won't be able to play till the Spring, right?

He injured his knee in February and was given a 6 to 8 month recovery. Even with setbacks he should be on the court by the end of this year.

If the Spurs could get him at $2.4M, I think he's worth the risk. Despite what some have said in this thread, Howard is a much better jump shooter than RJ, plays better D and simply has a better all-around game.

Given the lack of effectiveness RJ displayed last year, I'd rather the Spurs roll with what they've got or sign Jones and wait until Howard is ready.

Having said that, I think an RJ re-signing is much more likely.

Silver&Black
07-17-2010, 12:55 PM

And If RJ plays like he did last year....Pop might be driven to murder him too.

timvp
07-17-2010, 01:02 PM
I don't think Howard will be much help this coming season. It'll take until the 2011-12 to regain his value, IMO.

Michael Redd is a good comparison. He blew out his knee in Jan. of 2009. He tried to return for the beginning of the 2009-10 season but only last two games. Made another comeback a few weeks later ... and then his knee exploded again.

Bigmen who don't rely on mobility can come back relatively soon. I just don't think a player like Howard would be able to return for at least a full year. I know his people are saying 6-to-8 months but you have to remember he's a free agent with millions of dollars on the line. Any estimations are going to be overly optimistic.

ElNono
07-17-2010, 01:06 PM
Besides, he's a nutcase. When he's motivated, he's great. But when he isn't, he's actually a detriment to the team. Anybody remembers he used to almost always disappear in the 2nd half of games while playing for Dallas?

That's the big problem with Josh. You just don't know who you're going to get at any given day. (Not that RJ is THAT much different, but RJ's limitations seem to be more physical than mental).

smrattler
07-17-2010, 01:06 PM
Even with all of the grief he gets on this board, RJ might be our best realistic option for this year. Offensively he will be better in our system I think, having been through it one full year. Defensively, he can only get better I think.

Howard just comes with too many red flags.

MR.SILVER&BLack
07-17-2010, 01:51 PM
Jefferson with Howard as backup. pipe dream tho.

Agloco
07-17-2010, 02:04 PM
Even with all of the grief he gets on this board, RJ might be our best realistic option for this year. Offensively he will be better in our system I think, having been through it one full year. Defensively, he can only get better I think.

Howard just comes with too many red flags.

This.

I think RJ works better when considering salaries. If you take that out of the equation, gotta go with JHo. He's too much of a risk at anything more than 3mil per.

Leonard Curse
07-17-2010, 03:14 PM
Besides, he's a nutcase. When he's motivated, he's great. But when he isn't, he's actually a detriment to the team. Anybody remembers he used to almost always disappear in the 2nd half of games while playing for Dallas?

That's the big problem with Josh. You just don't know who you're going to get at any given day. (Not that RJ is THAT much different, but RJ's limitations seem to be more physical than mental).

love the sig man that game was freakin awesome is that george hill waiting for the corner 3?? didnt he miss that shot once he drove and Rj put it in 4 the win or something... that was one of the games that said "hes back!"(manu)
oh and yeah j howard is a terrible pickup even if dick wasnt a perfect fit he still scored 12pts a game and got a shit load of rebounds, as well as putting S.a on espn top plays of the week hahaha we need to remember that our biggest complaint w/jefferson was the amount he was getting paid and we always said if we could get a price cut we would be fine with the signing so i think the best is yet to come with dick

Leonard Curse
07-17-2010, 03:23 PM
Besides, he's a nutcase.

:lol i just noticed james harden clapping while manus flying in the air thinking this games over balls outta bounds, then when he sees manu catch it his body gets all tense again and starts panicking!!! manu does everything so damn right its ridiculous