PDA

View Full Version : Can an undersized team win a championship?

ceperez
07-17-2010, 06:32 PM
the spurs used to field a taller than average team. fielding twin towers combined with a 6'9" small guard (i.e. Elli0t_, jackson). but in recent years, the spurs have been completely undersized.

add to this the face that the spurs newest players are underized:

hill 6'2" at sg.
blair 6'7" at center
splitter 6'11" at center
hairston 6'4" at sf

can this kind of a team no matter how skilled win a championship?

has there ever been a team in recent memory that has won it all by being undersized?

Amuseddaysleeper
07-17-2010, 06:34 PM
I thought the 2007 Spurs were a little undersized. But times have changed since then. Tiago is close to 7 feet so hopefully that helps

timvp
07-17-2010, 06:36 PM
The fail is high in that OP.

ceperez
07-17-2010, 06:53 PM
I thought the 2007 Spurs were a little undersized. But times have changed since then. Tiago is close to 7 feet so hopefully that helps

did we not have horry and elson in the front line?

furthermore aside from the pgs ( parker beno vaughn) no other player was shorter than 6'6".

admiralsnackbar
07-17-2010, 06:59 PM
Sean was 6'9"? I don't think so.

Russ
07-17-2010, 07:03 PM
The Spurs will have two 6'11" starters, so I think they're okay.

ceperez
07-17-2010, 07:04 PM
Sean was 6'9"? I don't think so.

he was listed at 6'8" , still a pretty tall sg for the time.

hope you weren't thinking he was like 6'5"

Kori Ellis
07-17-2010, 07:21 PM
he was listed at 6'8" , still a pretty tall sg for the time.

hope you weren't thinking he was like 6'5"

He was a small forward, not a shooting guard.

Texas_Ranger
07-17-2010, 07:24 PM
Yes.

Kori Ellis
07-17-2010, 07:26 PM
If the Spurs start a Hill-Parker backcourt, they will be undersized at guard. But who knows - Manu might start. And, I don't think they'll end up starting Hairston at SF. It will be either 6'7 Jefferson or another (hopefully at least 6'7) pickup.

ceperez
07-17-2010, 07:32 PM
If the Spurs start a Hill-Parker backcourt, they will be undersized at guard. But who knows - Manu might start. And, I don't think they'll end up starting Hairston at SF. It will be either 6'7 Jefferson or another (hopefully at least 6'7) pickup.

Well if Manu becomes a guard like the aging Jason Kidd, and Blair become a SF like Larry Johnson (Highly unlikely), then maybe we have decent size:

Manu - 6'6" PG
Anderson - 6'6" SG
Blair - 6'7" - SF
Duncan - 6'11" - PF
Splitter - 6'11" - C

Of course, this setup is highly unlikely to work.

Mel_13
07-17-2010, 07:40 PM
Well if Manu becomes a guard like the aging Jason Kidd, and Blair become a SF like Larry Johnson (Highly unlikely), then maybe we have decent size:

Manu - 6'6" PG
Anderson - 6'6" SG
Blair - 6'7" - SF
Duncan - 6'11" - PF
Splitter - 6'11" - C

:lol

You're always coming up with weird configurations that will never see the light of day.

If the Spurs play their most likely configuration, they're not undersized:

Parker
Manu
RJ
Splitter
TD

Texas_Ranger
07-17-2010, 07:58 PM

Manu - 6'6" PG
Anderson - 6'6" SG
Blair - 6'7" - SF
Duncan - 6'11" - PF
Splitter - 6'11" - C

:lmao

spursfaninla
07-17-2010, 08:00 PM
the spurs used to field a taller than average team. fielding twin towers combined with a 6'9" small guard (i.e. Elli0t_, jackson). but in recent years, the spurs have been completely undersized.

add to this the face that the spurs newest players are underized:

hill 6'2" at sg.
blair 6'7" at center
splitter 6'11" at center
hairston 6'4" at sf

can this kind of a team no matter how skilled win a championship?

has there ever been a team in recent memory that has won it all by being undersized?

Hairston is taller than that.

Blair is moving to PF.

Splitter is fine at 6'11. Not every center is 7ft, including our Timmy.

We are somewhat short, but we have never been "big" since we lost Drob. We never had a "big" pg during any of our championships, never had a "big" sf either, except for S-jax maybe, and that was just one year and he was not the starter in any case.

I agree that having hill and blair and a small sf in the lineup is too small, but if we have splitter in there and a sf that is not undersized, I think it is fine.

Agloco
07-17-2010, 08:45 PM
The fail is high in that OP.

:tu

elemento
07-17-2010, 09:02 PM
we can have undersized player as role players ..but i don't think we can win the NBA title with a core with undersized players !!

our core in terms of size is just fine. the problem is the age of our best player and the lack of a good SF

Obstructed_View
07-17-2010, 09:14 PM
Drafting guys with abnormally long arms helps, and having a guy or two that's a little shorter than normal isn't as big a deal if you've got a 4 and a 5 who are tall and can defend, which we finally have. Surely nobody considers Blair a 6'6" guy. For the same reasons you probably shouldn't consider Hill or Hairston as being their actual height, because both play taller than they are.

The biggest problems the Spurs had last season were when they'd put Jefferson in as the 4 or the 5. In fact, the biggest problems the Spurs have had over the past five years is playing guys out of position who are suddenly WAY too small or playing guys who have size and nothing else.

ceperez
07-17-2010, 09:22 PM

You're always coming up with weird configurations that will never see the light of day.

Can't you read??? that is exactly what I said... HIGHLY UNLIKELY.

Let me break it down for you ... UNLIKELY... meaning low chance....
HIGHLY UNLIKELY ... meaning very low chance.

Mel_13
07-17-2010, 09:28 PM
Can't you read??? that is exactly what I said... HIGHLY UNLIKELY.

Let me break it down for you ... UNLIKELY... meaning low chance....
HIGHLY UNLIKELY ... meaning very low chance.

1. Actually, you said that was unlikely to work, not that it was unlikely to happen.

2. Why bring it up at all?

3. Splitter's not undersized.

4. Neither Sean or SJax are 6'9''

5. Sean didn't play SG

6. Elson played 11.5 mpg in the 2007 playoffs. Tim played next to 6'9" Horry and 6'10" Oberto.

7. :lol

alchemist
07-17-2010, 09:45 PM
:bang

ceperez
07-17-2010, 09:50 PM

1. Actually, you said that was unlikely to work, not that it was unlikely to happen.

2. Why bring it up at all?

3. Splitter's not undersized.

4. Neither Sean or SJax are 6'9''

5. Sean didn't play SG

6. Elson played 11.5 mpg in the 2007 playoffs. Tim played next to 6'9" Horry and 6'10" Oberto.

7. :lol

1. Unlikely to work... Unlikely to happen... splitting hairs here.
2. Because last seaon we stuffed the team with likes of Bogans and never had a legit center other than Duncan. Everyone over 6'10" never got minutes or was traded.
3. Ok. Sean and SJAX are 6'8".
4. Sean Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_ did play as SG. Revisionism on your part.
5. Horry is 6'10". If you look at the stats in 2007, Horry got 5 blocks in the second game.

Final fact: Spurs haven't won a championship (or reached the WCF) since Horry retired. Should tell you something.

Sausage
07-17-2010, 09:51 PM
No, but they can beat a 67 win Mavericks team

Mel_13
07-17-2010, 09:58 PM
1. Unlikely to work... Unlikely to happen... splitting hairs here.
2. Because last seaon we stuffed the team with likes of Bogans and never had a legit center other than Duncan. Everyone over 6'10" never got minutes or was traded.
3. Ok. Sean and SJAX are 6'8".
4. Sean Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_ did play as SG. Revisionism on your part.
5. Horry is 6'10". If you look at the stats in 2007, Horry got 5 blocks in the second game.

Final fact: Spurs haven't won a championship (or reached the WCF) since Horry retired. Should tell you something.

Take a valium, dude.

Sean was the SF on the 99 Championship team. Fact, not revisionism.

Horry was 6'9" and the Spurs won two championships with him playing next to Tim. It's more about talent than height.

For someone who is so hung up on measurements, why couldn't you get it right the first time.

If you have a point to make, just make it. Drop all the ridiculous line-up combinations and just make your point.

Splitter's not undersized.

ceperez
07-17-2010, 10:11 PM
Take a valium, dude.

Sean was the SF on the 99 Championship team. Fact, not revisionism.

Horry was 6'9" and the Spurs won two championships with him playing next to Tim. It's more about talent than height.

For someone who is so hung up on measurements, why couldn't you get it right the first time.

so horry grew an extra inch since your last post? well maybe he should grow another inch when you post again?

Mel_13
07-17-2010, 10:17 PM
so horry grew an extra inch since your last post? well maybe he should grow another inch when you post again?

RIF.

I said Horry was 6'9" in both posts. You said he was 6'10".

Spurs da champs
07-17-2010, 10:18 PM
I've seen 7'0 and 6'11 for Splitter either way great size for a power forward, Tim is gonna be center he cannot guard the power forwards of today no more.
We match up in size with lakers really good.

smrattler
07-18-2010, 12:31 AM
With Odom at SF, the Lakers front line is huge and has a size advantage, plus Kobe is a long & athletic 6'7. That's a lot of length to contend with. Plus, they are pretty damn talented. So, they have a talent and size advantage. And they have a coach with more rings than fingers. In basketball, that's a great combination.

Can an undersized team win a championship? Not likely next year.

Are the Spurs undersized? I don't think so. Tim/Dice/Splitter/Blair/Bonner bring good size inside. Jefferson is a prototype build for a SF. Manu at 6'6" is good size at SG. Tony and Hill are average PG size.

HarlemHeat37
07-18-2010, 01:07 AM
Odom hasn't played small forward in years, he played SF for the Lakers like 2 times all year this season..

smrattler
07-18-2010, 01:53 AM
Odom hasn't played small forward in years, he played SF for the Lakers like 2 times all year this season..

I said with him at SF they have a lot of size. He can play SF. If it is needed, he has played and does play some SF.

Let's just put it this way, with Bynum, Gasol, Odom, and Artest to rotate on the front line, they are very big. Agree?

pookenstein
07-18-2010, 04:58 AM

What about the 03/04 Pistons? Sheed @6'11'' and Ben @6'9''.

ceperez
07-18-2010, 07:19 AM

You had Prince at SF that was quite lengthy in his position.

Muser
07-18-2010, 07:21 AM

Ben Wallace could easily take 7 footers.

ohmwrecker
07-18-2010, 04:54 PM
The '06 Heat was pretty small.

barbacoataco
07-18-2010, 05:18 PM
I agree that you should never forget that in basketball it is an advantage to be taller. That is why NBA players are generally tall.

Depending on the lineups Pop plays Spurs could be less undersized next year than they have been. Splitter will help.

wut
07-18-2010, 05:23 PM
we really don't have a starting lineup yet, so I can't even speculate.

Obstructed_View
07-18-2010, 05:46 PM

That's supposed to be blue, right?

mountainballer
07-18-2010, 05:46 PM

teams with Shaq usually didn't qulify for being pretty small.