PDA

View Full Version : Why are we unimpressed with Gee's performance?

ceperez
07-17-2010, 10:06 PM
okay alonzo gee is tearing it up in the summer league.

lasf game against the clippers he had some stellar stats. 20 points, 7 for 12 and 2/3 from the 3.

his best game so far.

yet you don't get the kind of comments that hill and blair or gist or even tolliver. i guess nobody really is impresed with a 6'6" sf?

so what gives? is gee run of the mill average player like devin brown that fans don't really notice or is this guy an above average player?

ChumpDumper
07-17-2010, 10:13 PM
This is the most complete game he had this summer. He seems to have put almost everything together this time except for ballhandling.

Of course the Clipper team was really horrible, so it's take with a grain of salt.

Leonard Curse
07-17-2010, 10:14 PM
im personally excited they better sign his ass or else theyre goin to lose him again and hell tear us up. this guy takes it to the rim is really athletic and plays defense what gives?? stubborn ol pop dont like to get players unless theyre out of his reach. i have a feeling well sign him alot of teams are interested in him

Solid D
07-17-2010, 10:14 PM
I would say Alonzo is an above average player and he has showed that during the LV summer league. Gee has already shown the Spurs enough to get him into training camp and onto the roster. Now, is Alonzo an above average NBA player? That's a different question. That remains to be seen.

ChumpDumper
07-17-2010, 10:15 PM
im personally excited they better sign his ass or else theyre goin to lose him again and hell tear us up. this guy takes it to the rim is really athletic and plays defense what gives?? stubborn ol pop dont like to get players unless theyre out of his reach. i have a feeling well sign him alot of teams are interested in himUm, he's already signed.

dbestpro
07-17-2010, 10:20 PM
For me its how does Gee compare to Hairston as I do not think they will both make the team. Right now they look similar. What I am looking for is a consistent outside shot from one or the other.

AFBlue
07-17-2010, 10:21 PM
I got a chance to see today's game and came away impressed. He plays with a lot of energy and aggressiveness on both sides of the ball. He caused a bunch of turnovers, ran out on the break and attacked the rim constantly. Today though, he also shot the ball well. He showed a smooth, confident stroke that he either converted or nearly missed.

I'm looking forward to the Gee/Hairston training camp battle. Even though both may end up making the team, I doubt there will be enough room in a regular rotation (or even to dress out each game).

But yeah, he's definitely someone the Spurs should hold on to...very impressive.

peacemaker885
07-17-2010, 11:28 PM
For me its how does Gee compare to Hairston as I do not think they will both make the team. Right now they look similar. What I am looking for is a consistent outside shot from one or the other.

This. Add Anderson to the mix and its really going to be tough to get into that 2 spot. Gee has been around and has shown his skills. I'm sure the pressure is building up on the kid.

Leonard Curse
07-17-2010, 11:29 PM
Um, he's already signed.

my fault.

Trill Clinton
07-17-2010, 11:35 PM
No way in hell he'll be a devin brown type, I mean that as a compliment to gee...he's still raw and could use a more consistent jumper...his defense is impressive and his agility is desperately needed...hopefully he finds his way into the rotation at some point.

beachwood
07-18-2010, 12:26 AM
I'm going out on a major limb calling it right now that Gee is starting opening night. This guy has major upside and is talented. The guy has great movement and form on his jump shot. Needs to work on his 3, bit I'm extremely excited about this guy.

buttsR4rebounding
07-18-2010, 01:21 AM
Although it is a very limited sample: he played in 11 games for the Wizards last year and went 7 of 9 from 3 point range...not too shabby.

Blackjack
07-18-2010, 01:25 AM
Hell of an athlete and a lot of promise. Looks to be a bit of a smaller, poor man's Maggette at this point, and that ain't so bad -- I love me players that can get to the line.

tim_duncan_fan
07-18-2010, 01:28 AM
I love me players that can get to the line.

Me too, and we need this soooo badly!

Anonymous Cowherd
07-18-2010, 03:45 AM
Now that Temple is injured, that surely open's the door for Gee to take a roster spot

quentin_compson
07-18-2010, 04:38 AM
Hell of an athlete and a lot of promise. Looks to be a bit of a smaller, poor man's Maggette at this point, and that ain't so bad -- I love me players that can get to the line.

You mustn't forget that he would suck from the line if he actually got a roster spot, though. This is the Spurs, after all. :p:

ceperez
07-18-2010, 07:12 AM
I'm going out on a major limb calling it right now that Gee is starting opening night. This guy has major upside and is talented. The guy has great movement and form on his jump shot. Needs to work on his 3, bit I'm extremely excited about this guy.

The problem with the Spurs is that even if you have upside, you don't play unless you can play with a lot of efficiency.

ceperez
07-18-2010, 07:15 AM
Now that Temple is injured, that surely open's the door for Gee to take a roster spot

Temple is practically guaranteed to make it into the teams.

Temple fills a completely different need.

Gee is more like Hairston. What these two players need to show is:

(1) 3 point shooting
(2) Ability to penetrate in traffic.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-18-2010, 07:31 AM
I hope Gee gets some long burn early in the season to show us what he's got at the next level.

Obstructed_View
07-18-2010, 07:36 AM
okay alonzo gee is tearing it up in the summer league.

lasf game against the clippers he had some stellar stats. 20 points, 7 for 12 and 2/3 from the 3.

his best game so far.

yet you don't get the kind of comments that hill and blair or gist or even tolliver. i guess nobody really is impresed with a 6'6" sf?

so what gives? is gee run of the mill average player like devin brown that fans don't really notice or is this guy an above average player?

ZomGee!!!

I thought he was great. Did a little bit of everything. He and Hairston both play much bigger than their listed size. I definitely can't wait to see Gee in preseason.

JonNOKC
07-18-2010, 09:10 AM
Not as excited because he doesn't really fit a need for this team - you could comapre him to RJ except he lacks size - Gee is a nice player but not sure how he would do as a role player on a predominantly hlaf-court oriented team - another poster in another thread pointed out alot of his points were coming on fast break and garbage plays which was largely true up until last nights game - again it's hard to look at SL where he is one of the best offensive weapons on the floor vs. Spurs where he might be 8th best option on offense and that is stretching it - in the end I think it comes down to Gee/Hairston unless we don't resign RJ or resign RJ but not another vet SF/SG

Chieflion
07-18-2010, 09:16 AM
I am impressed with Gee's performance. His major weakness at this point, same goes for Hairston, is that their ball-handling skills are bad for a perimeter player. If they want their offensive game to translate to the NBA, that has to improve. They have the physical tools, now they have to get that down. The rest can come later. As long as they do not have the ball-handling skills, they will be hounded and pressured by defenders and turn the ball over.

timtonymanu
07-18-2010, 09:18 AM
Gee has been playing well in SL. He's basically another Malik Hairston. Very interesting to see which of them will make the team.

SenorSpur
07-18-2010, 09:31 AM

Me too.

The Maggette comparison is certainly and apt one.

While he does need to improve his 3pt shooting (same with Hairston), this kid is aggressive, disrupts defenses, and can really crash the glass. It looks like he's really made it a point to focus on rebounding the ball.

Also, he's really fun to watch. Hearing Pop's courtside comments during SL action, it seems like they're really high on this guy. One thing that should help in his favor is significant minutes and game experience he got last year in Washington.

The training camp battle between him and Hairston should be a good one.

ohmwrecker
07-18-2010, 12:06 PM
I think both Gee and Hairston are very raw, but talented players, but it is hard to imagine both of them making the cut. Too similar. If they both make the team, it probably means that the Spurs didn't re-sign RJ or sign a FA SF. Going into the season with a SF rotation of Gee/Hairston is a troubling thought. I think the Spurs, if forced to decide, will keep Hairston and let Gee go. Alonzo is good enough to catch a spot on another team's roster, but I don't see him being a Spur.

ulosturedge
07-18-2010, 12:08 PM
I don't think the word is unimpressed as much as it is he is doing kind of what we figured he would do. That is use his elite athleticism to overwhelm his opponents. What i'm wondering is why I get the feeling that everyone is measuring him up in the guard position. I know that's his natural position, but I honestly think that they would want to try and use him as a backup at the small forward position. The guy is 6'6, has a good wingspan, possesses some incredible athleticism, and looks like he has been working hard on the defensive end.

beachwood
07-18-2010, 12:51 PM
The problem with the Spurs is that even if you have upside, you don't play unless you can play with a lot of efficiency.

You're right but I'm making the crazy prediction. He will be better than GHill.

Cane
07-18-2010, 12:56 PM
ESPN had a couple of sentences about him in their Las Vegas blog:

I'm not sure what else there is for Alonzo Gee to accomplish here. He had another efficient outing, scoring 20 points on 15 true shots, spaced the floor for the Spurs, passed up contested shots along the perimeter, drained those that weren't, and collected six boards.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/18328/day-nine-las-vegas-summer-league-roundup

rvman21
07-18-2010, 01:50 PM
well Pop won't play him anyway

SenorSpur
07-18-2010, 02:04 PM
The Spurs are obviously NOT interested in Barnes and there has seemingly been no word on any interest in some of the others in the SF free-agent scrap heap. (Howard, Butler)

Obviously, none of us know what or if they have anything else up their sleeve, but options have dwindled considerably.

Maybe the Spurs should roll with Hairston and Gee to backup RJ.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-18-2010, 02:05 PM
I hope Gee can be our savior, we need a miracle like him to bust onto the scene in a Devin Brown like fashion.

Blackjack
07-18-2010, 02:09 PM
You mustn't forget that he would suck from the line if he actually got a roster spot, though. This is the Spurs, after all. :p:

What can I say, I'm a bit of a masochist as well. :downspin:

SenorSpur
07-18-2010, 02:10 PM
During interviews, Pop keeps commenting on the obvious - the Spurs seeking to get younger and more athletic. Well, Gee certainly provides both. I just wonder too, if he makes the roster and if Pop would actually demonstrate some trust in him. Same for Hairston.

Blackjack
07-18-2010, 02:17 PM
I've heard Pop talk about the need for athleticism more than at any time during the Big 3's reign and I've heard RC actually mention the word 'rebuild' on more than one occasion this week. It sure as hell feels like the youth movement has begun and Hairston and probably Gee, I assume, are apart of it.

SenorSpur
07-18-2010, 02:23 PM
I've heard Pop talk about the need for athleticism more than at any time during the Big 3's reign and I've heard RC actually mention the word 'rebuild' on more than one occasion this week. It sure as hell feels like the youth movement has begun and Hairston and probably Gee, I assume, are apart of it.

Sure hope so.

Anonymous Cowherd
07-18-2010, 02:37 PM
It is interesting that aside from James Jones, no-one seems to be being linked with a move to the Spurs.

Maybe Hairston will be our 2nd SF and Gee the 5th wing

20beastie45
07-18-2010, 04:05 PM
IMO Gee can get to the free throw line and put some points up...I haven't seen Hairston make moves to get to the stripe. Gee has a better shooting stoke than Hairston. Which is probably better for the spurs right now(assuming Rj returns) IMO they both rebound the same and B-Ball IQ is similar.

GEE>Hairston( not by much)

Not comparing him to Bowen, but Bowen was awful at handeling the ball

BackHome
07-18-2010, 09:33 PM
I think we are set a the PG and SG slots.

PG: Tony, Temple, Hill
SG: Manu, Hill, Anderson

The question is does Pop see Hairston and Gee as more SF and does Neal make it as a SG?

At SF if RJ comes back then we could be looking at.

SF: RJ, Anderson, Gee, Hairston

The question is can Anderson play SF and do we sign both Gee and Hairston?

The PF slot is a little tricky in that we have Dice but he is getting long in the tooth and then we have Blair who I like but is slow and a little short. I would not mind getting a taller third backup

At center we got Timmy and Splitter which I think we are good to go.

The Btown Spur
07-18-2010, 10:00 PM
Looks like gee made the VSL all tournament team:
http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/68227/20100718/wall_cousins_headline_vsl_all_tournament_team/

ceperez
07-18-2010, 10:07 PM
Not comparing him to Bowen, but Bowen was awful at handling the ball

Well that's a good point.

If Gee can put up Bowen like defense ( He has all the natural talent to do so ), then he definitely should make the team.

I mean let's get real hear, Wes Matthews probably isn't as talented or skilled as Gee.

Obstructed_View
07-18-2010, 10:10 PM
If Gee can put up Bowen like defense, then he definitely should make the team.

Yes, I suppose that's true.

timvp
07-18-2010, 10:12 PM

:lol

HarlemHeat37
07-18-2010, 10:13 PM

:lmao

Blackjack
07-20-2010, 10:05 AM
Couple quotes and whatnot.

http://bit.ly/bMLvIQ

coyotes_geek
07-20-2010, 10:26 AM
I mean let's get real hear, Wes Matthews probably isn't as talented or skilled as Gee.

Of course he's not. I mean who could think that the guy who spent last year as a rotation player for a playoff team and just got a $30 million dollar contract from another could possibly be more talented and skilled than a guy who spent last year in the d-league?