PDA

View Full Version : Splitter defense?

ginomvp
07-18-2010, 12:44 PM
Hey forgive me if this has been covered already. But how is splitters defense? Is he a shut down defensive player, a solid defensive player, or just a typucal european defensive player? Thanks.

TIMMYD!
07-18-2010, 12:57 PM
He's an above average defensive player with good mobility.

Cane
07-18-2010, 01:03 PM
Think of Anderson Varejao only calmer and possibly smarter and stronger as well. Probably won't have the athleticism, defensive IQ (NBA rookie and we still have to see if he'll translate well to the NBA), or minutes to average more than a block per game next season though. More to defense than numbers though and Tiago's intangibles and mobility should help a lot.

I don't see both Tiago and Duncan on the court at the same time unless its against huge frontcourts (especially since Tiago's the only real center besides Duncan on the roster) however when they are I expect both of their defensive numbers and impact to go up. Should be a great combination down low.

HarlemHeat37
07-18-2010, 01:05 PM
Varejao is too high of an expectation IMO..

Birn
07-18-2010, 01:13 PM
Splitter is a better defensive player than an offensive player. Good mobility and can guard on the perimeter and the post. He has the ability to guard Nowitzki and Odom anywhere on the court plus hedge on pick and rolls and switch defenders if necessary. Not many players in the league have that kind of skill set with his size. That will take a lot of pressure off the rest of the team. Our team defense will definitely be much better with Splitter.

kobyz
07-18-2010, 01:32 PM
poor man Kevin Garnett on defense!

rascal
07-18-2010, 02:30 PM
I doubt he will be anything special defensively. Not a shut down defender. More a typical Euro defender.

clubalien
07-18-2010, 02:35 PM
splitter has to play better defense then blair. The more important thing splitter will bring to the spurs is jewball.

MateoNeygro
07-18-2010, 02:42 PM
I hope he's like Dwight Howard-04 Ben Wallace prototype. I can dream.

Solid D
07-18-2010, 03:14 PM
I don't see Tiago as a strong defender but he is a pretty smart defender. He sags and helps well. I'm not sure if the Spurs will allow Tiago to cheat in the lane as much as he does in Spain. He's also not a big shot blocker. He tends to go straight up in the air with both arms when a shot goes up over him in the post, rather than leave his feet for the block attempt.

He is very saavy in knowing what to look for out of screen/rolls and he doesn't get surprised or caught out of position much.

I see him fitting in pretty well and picking up the Spurs' team defense by mid-year.