PDA

View Full Version : James Jones back to Miami

HarlemHeat37
07-18-2010, 01:01 PM
Next?..

dbestpro
07-18-2010, 01:02 PM
Morrison may be the best shooter left that we an afford.

timvp
07-18-2010, 01:03 PM
Jones will earn the $1 million veteran's minimum this season, combined with the $1.5 million buyout sum he is owed for the upcoming season. Jones passed up more money elsewhere. San Antonio reportedly was interested in giving him part of its $6 million mid-level exception.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/07/18/1736108/forward-james-jones-to-resign.html

Damn. The possibilities are drying up.

Muser
07-18-2010, 01:05 PM
I'd rather start Hairston than fucking Adam Morrison.

DPG21920
07-18-2010, 01:05 PM
This FA, between terrible contracts and the Decision, screwed the Spurs.

Vic Petro
07-18-2010, 01:06 PM
Damn man. It's no huge loss but yeah, anxiety is starting to set in over how we're going to fill this role.

Cane
07-18-2010, 01:10 PM
Seems like Morrison will be a god damn Spur at this rate although its hard to fault Jones for sticking with that stacked Miami team. He's probably going to win championships, build great relationships, incredible experiences (hanging around with that much talent, winning, King-sized parties, etc), and will likely learn a lot more from all of that then in SA.

Have the Spurs said anything about Gary Neal since he seems to have a shooter's touch?

DannyT
07-18-2010, 01:11 PM
Richard Fucking Jefferson is all we got. Trade Tony at the break for the best return chemistry wise.

DPG21920
07-18-2010, 01:12 PM
Lets just wait and see if RJ will net the Spurs something.

DPG21920
07-18-2010, 01:13 PM
Richard Fucking Jefferson is all we got. Trade Tony at the break for the best return chemistry wise.

Spurs can make a much smaller move imo and be fine. They don't have to trade TP because of this, it makes no sense.

Blackjack
07-18-2010, 01:14 PM
Didn't want Jones, so I'm fine with this.

Yes, the Spurs need shooting but if they had to depend on Bonner and Jones as being their knock-down shooters ... well, I have a feeling the baby seal population is thankful today.

DannyT
07-18-2010, 01:14 PM
Damn. The possibilities are drying up.

That quote from the article says we aren't championship caliber. He would be stupid to pass up that chance.

DannyT
07-18-2010, 01:16 PM
Spurs can make a much smaller move imo and be fine. They don't have to trade TP because of this, it makes no sense.

Hes not coming back sir, et something while you have him. His mind set is else wear. He's still the finals mvp in his head. Which is good but he knows we sinking.

Kori Ellis
07-18-2010, 01:16 PM
Some people are exaggerating how important the SF position will be here:lol..

They need to at least have one.

HarlemHeat37
07-18-2010, 01:17 PM
Fuck, I forgot the ellipses in my title..should I make a new thread?..

DPG21920
Well I don't buy that, but it seems to be a popular belief around here. He might leave, but if he does, the Spurs will still get something for him (S&T), so no need to trade him because JJ signs with the Heat.

timvp
BTW, no way I want the Spurs to sign Adam Morrison. His defense is too horrible and, most importantly, he has shown no ability to shoot on the NBA level.

If the Spurs want a no-defense playing shooter, I'd prefer Steve Novak. At least he has size.

HarlemHeat37

I'm assuming Jefferson is coming back..

I meant it about the poster that said Parker should be traded so the Spurs can have a better SF:lol..it's not that important..

DannyT

Blaaaaah. Sometimes having one is like not having one

Birn
07-18-2010, 01:20 PM
RJ needs to be back. His athleticism and defense and knowledge of our system is key. He can make shots and get to the line, which is a lot more than what Jones would've brought. Jones is a great shooter but it a sieve on defense. At this point, either Butler or Morrison would work for me. They can both shoot but won't be counted on to be a lock down defender. Our defense is predicated on team defense funneling players to TD and Splitter for blocks. I think RJ is the best available SF we can get and we should sign him. He's an important part of the team.

DannyT
07-18-2010, 01:20 PM
BTW, no way I want the Spurs to sign Adam Morrison. His defense is too horrible and, most importantly, he has shown no ability to shoot on the NBA level.

If the Spurs want a no-defense playing shooter, I'd prefer Steve Novak. At least he has size.

If only he good shoot. Would be decent on the bench. Wheres bones at?

DPG21920
07-18-2010, 01:22 PM
Spurs don't need a "starting caliber" sf in the traditional mold. Spurs need a system player. Someone who is overrated because of their fit in the Spurs system and that holds more value in the Spurs system than elsewhere.

This is the successful model. This is what the Spurs need. Defend, hit 3's, win title, get overpaid in the off season by someone else. These are things we know.

tomtom
07-18-2010, 01:23 PM
Ouch that sucks. Who's even left? Rasual would still be ok but that's all I can even think of right now

Blackjack
07-18-2010, 01:23 PM
Maybe the Spurs view Morrison as some kind of good luck charm..

There might be some validity to that.

Like every time he sheds a tear ... his NBA team gets a ring . . .

Cant_Be_Faded
07-18-2010, 01:24 PM
I knew The Decision would influence Miami to get veterans on the real cheap. They all want to be in for the ride. Fuck.

This is the worst FA since the Summer of Scola

Cant_Be_Faded
07-18-2010, 01:25 PM
Spurs don't need a "starting caliber" sf in the traditional mold. Spurs need a system player. Someone who is overrated because of their fit in the Spurs system and that holds more value in the Spurs system than elsewhere.

This is the successful model. This is what the Spurs need. Defend, hit 3's, win title, get overpaid in the off season by someone else. These are things we know.

Yeah we know that but there are like zero options left fitting even that mold.

This is horrible news. Every day I get on this forum hoping to see we signed Jones, dreading him taking cheap money to stay on the Heat Bandwagon. Fuck.

Mr Bones
07-18-2010, 01:27 PM
At this point, Jonathan Bender playing 12 mpg is a better option than most. I know he has the knee issues, etc., but at 7' and with actual basketball skills, I like the risk. If RJ leaves, it might just have to be SF by committee.

callo1
07-18-2010, 01:27 PM
Tmac

DPG21920
07-18-2010, 01:28 PM
I have been saying for a while that the most viable option to round out the team and get a good balance is through trade.

Spurs have numerous trade assets for both big and small deals. Of course, you look through the draft and FA first to see if you can get something you like without giving up something you like, but that is a tough job as always.

Trades are difficult, but it is the way this team will have to go barring some major surprise.

Bruno
07-18-2010, 01:28 PM
It sucks. I hope Spurs will get Rasual Butler but he could get more money than what Spurs can offer. After that, there is Jarvis Hayes...

DPG21920
07-18-2010, 01:30 PM
If the Spurs miss out on Butler/Barnes, I say stop the search and go with the young guys for now. Then look to trade. At some point, the young guys are better options for both now and the future and we are approaching that point imo.

Bruno
07-18-2010, 01:31 PM
BTW, where is the picture with the old woman waiting on a chair that someone pick her?

HarlemHeat37
07-18-2010, 01:32 PM
I agree..

I would be cool with Barnes or Butler, but the drop-off is pretty huge after that IMO..I don't want Hayes, Morrison, Bogans or any of those guys..

At that point, I just try out the young guys..if they don't pan out, there is still plenty of time for a trade..it's also possible that Jefferson's shooting will look better during the season, which could potentially eliminate the hole at SF(although RJ obviously has to re-sign first), since the bench would be fine without a "traditional SF"..

ohmwrecker
07-18-2010, 01:32 PM
I'm kind of relieved. I wasn't big on Jones. Hopefully, the Spurs target Butler, resign RJ and put cork in it.

MaNu4Tres
07-18-2010, 01:33 PM
If the Spurs miss out on Butler/Barnes, I say stop the search and go with the young guys for now. Then look to trade. At some point, the young guys are better options for both now and the future and we are approaching that point imo.

Barnes looks to be out of the picture..

Butler is likely to receive offers certainly more than 2.3 million per.

Resign R.J and roll with Hairston and Anderson.

Interrohater
07-18-2010, 01:34 PM
I'm still jonesing for Matt Barnes... get it?! JONESING?!!

In all seriousness, I really like Barnes for the position. People talk about how bad of a shooter he is, but I don't think he's all that bad. He's a streaky shooter which, imho, is what the Spurs need. If you have a guy that you can rely on defensively and every few games he catches fire? That's golden, man. He wouldn't be anywhere near the top option for scoring, so who cares if he only averages 6.4 ppg? If he drops his offensive assignment's scoring average, then he's doing a hell of a lot for his team. I'd much rather have a tough guy with a true defensive mindset than an average player that can shoot the ball. Give me a guy that can trap a player in the corner all by himself and cause a turnover, and I'll give you wins.

SenorSpur
07-18-2010, 01:40 PM
Sucks.

Butler, Howard or...perhaps Pietrus?

Blackjack
07-18-2010, 01:41 PM
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-heat/sfl-miami-heat-james-jones-s071810,0,7212597.story

So should I just put my life savings on the Heat this year?

They add James, Bosh and Miller, return 7 players from last year's 5-seed in the East, and they add some decent fillers with Z, Howard, Pittman and Varnado.

If you can't land Martell Webster, Ariza, Battier, Pietrus or someone like that, give me Hairston backing up RJ and play the hell out of Anderson. Go with the youth and see what they got -- you can always make a deal later.

timvp
07-18-2010, 01:46 PM
The best shooter on the market who is cheap and plays small forward is probably Bobby Simmons. He has the tenth best career three-point percentage among active players. He sucked last year but as recently as the 2008-09 season, he was a damn good shooter:

http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/8819/bobbysimmons.jpg

And he gets bonus points for being so good on corner threes.

DPG21920
07-18-2010, 01:48 PM
I know I am one with high hopes for Malik based off of a small sample size, but I see a grit and ability from him that I believe will translate into a very nice role player for the Spurs.

SenorSpur
07-18-2010, 01:50 PM
Yet another reason to root against the Heat, who are basically acting as though the Commish (...and the rest of the NBA) should simply skip the season and award them the Larry O'Brien trophy now.

Solid D
07-18-2010, 01:51 PM
BTW, where is the picture with the old woman waiting on a chair that someone pick her?

Done. :) http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45633

Bruno
07-18-2010, 01:52 PM
Done. :)

Thanks. :toast

TIMMYD!
07-18-2010, 01:53 PM

http://static.flickr.com/54/150599120_6a482af1e7_m.jpg

HarlemHeat37
07-18-2010, 01:54 PM
Bobby Simmons is absolutely done IMO..I would be surprised if he bounced back..

I would rather have Jarvis Hayes, which isn't saying anything..

timvp
07-18-2010, 01:56 PM
For a second I was shocked that ducks spelled "absolutely" right.

Bruno
07-18-2010, 01:56 PM
If You have some suicidal tendencies, please stop reading that post:

The more free agents sign elsewhere, the closer Spurs are to bring back The Centerpiece™.

SenorSpur
07-18-2010, 01:57 PM
Morrison may be the best shooter left that we an afford.

Screw Adam Morrison. He's a freaking bust.

I'd rather they take a blind flier on Joe Alexander.

Blackjack
07-18-2010, 01:58 PM
For a second I was shocked that ducks spelled "absolutely" right.

That was exactly my thought. I thought ducks finally blew his cover. :lol

nickdaquick
07-18-2010, 01:59 PM
RJ needs to be back. His athleticism and defense and knowledge of our system is key. He can make shots and get to the line, which is a lot more than what Jones would've brought. Jones is a great shooter but it a sieve on defense. At this point, either Butler or Morrison would work for me. They can both shoot but won't be counted on to be a lock down defender. Our defense is predicated on team defense funneling players to TD and Splitter for blocks. I think RJ is the best available SF we can get and we should sign him. He's an important part of the team.

I agree, now that we have another good defensive big man, we can reintroduce the twin towers. All we need is guys who can learn our system quickly and work hard on the defensive end. They don't need to lock down anyone.

I loved Morrison in college but he is unproven at this level. If he goes to the spurs and shows nothing he may be done in the NBA. This is his last chance and he's very competitive so he will do anything to survive with us. Offensively he can shoot with men in his face so it's all about the D.

DPG21920
07-18-2010, 02:07 PM
It looks like JJ just wanted to see some polka dot bikini girlllllllllllllllllll

smrattler
07-18-2010, 02:40 PM
The more free agents sign elsewhere, the closer Spurs are to bring back The Centerpiece™.

Looking more and more likely.

Oh man, I'm going to freak...

texbound
07-18-2010, 02:52 PM
I'm kind of relieved. I wasn't big on Jones. Hopefully, the Spurs target Butler, resign RJ and put cork in it.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/attachments/f154/91033d1220966511-you-people-retarded-corky.jpg

Put me in Pop...I'll handle Bron Bron

Solid D
07-18-2010, 02:59 PM
I was not a big James Jones fan. This news is "meh" to me. NBD. Unless the Spurs are working on a S&T, we may have to hope the new blood and cheap young turks in the system can come in and play great.

dbestpro
07-18-2010, 03:07 PM
I wonder what Wally Szczerbiak is doing these days?

ElNono
07-18-2010, 03:14 PM
lol snubbed by James Jones...

Next thing we know the Nets are going to offer stupid money to RJ, and be unwilling to do a trade exception...

Josepatches_
07-18-2010, 03:16 PM
I'd rather start Hairston than fucking Adam Morrison.

This.

However Butler is a good shooter.His defense isn't so great but i'd take him before Hairston or James Jones.

Solid D
07-18-2010, 03:17 PM
Adam Morrison? Please. Next.

MaNu4Tres
07-18-2010, 03:22 PM
Next thing we know the Nets are going to offer stupid money to RJ, and be unwilling to do a trade exception...

Nets already signed Travis Outlaw for 35 million dollars at small forward. Yes the same Travis Outlaw who many thought the Spurs would be able to sign for 2.3 million per year.

dbestpro
07-18-2010, 03:25 PM
If McGrady can pass the physical I am actually thinking that he could be the best plan if RJ does not return. I know it is a long shot, but at least he has had success at being a starter.

ohmwrecker
07-18-2010, 03:29 PM
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/attachments/f154/91033d1220966511-you-people-retarded-corky.jpg

Put me in Pop...I'll handle Bron Bron

I meant, A cork. Not Corky. I'm a tornado!

chazley
07-18-2010, 03:31 PM
Morrison would be better than any other option out there. He's still young and has upside.

I remember I went to a game during Morrison's rookie season, Bobcats vs. Spurs in SA. It was far and away Adam's best game as a pro so far, I think he scored 24 or 26, and he played a really good fourth quarter with Bowen all over him, and I'm pretty sure they won the game.

I definitely think he is worth a look.

Gooshie
07-18-2010, 03:32 PM
When the new CBA is agreed upon, I hope the NBA puts something in there to prevent players "bought out" by a certain team return to that same exact team. The CBA is supposed to disallow restructuring contracts, but that is essentially what the Heat just did with James Jones.

Does his buyout cash this year and the next two years even count against the cap??

20beastie45
07-18-2010, 03:39 PM
:lmao

SPURSGOAT
07-18-2010, 03:40 PM
PmOk8DJUxQ0&amp

dbestpro
07-18-2010, 03:48 PM
Morrison did have a 30 pt game in the nba and scored 37 in one half in college.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brfOAh66E64&feature=related

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-18-2010, 03:55 PM
PmOk8DJUxQ0&amp

Sign him up :tu.

kaji157
07-18-2010, 03:58 PM
Matt Barnes would fit in here if RJ net´s us a shooter.

lotr1trekkie
07-18-2010, 03:59 PM
God, how we miss Bruce. Perimeter defender, 3 pointers from the corner and unselfish team player. It confounds me that some of these younger players don't take a lesson from Bowen and simply work on their defense. Gee is super athletic. James White was super athletic. If you are super athletic I assume you can move your feet on defense. After that it's a matter of effort, concentration and an edge. Ditto Mario Ely. Bruce created a career by maximizing what he did best and then working on that one shot. I forced to conclude that Bruce was just a lot smarter.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-18-2010, 04:13 PM
Some people are exaggerating how important the SF position will be here:lol..

Yeah, it's not like all the contenders don't have a good SF, we can totally trot a scrub out there and be okay... :rolleyes

slick'81
07-18-2010, 04:14 PM
and yeah no to adam morrison

Russ
07-18-2010, 04:15 PM
I forced to conclude that Bruce was just a lot smarter.

Me forced to agree.

Actually, you hit the nail on the head. What set Bowen apart was his fierce ambition and willingness to find an edge. He's the player equivalent of the corporate guy who invents his own job. Bruce invented the tenacious shut down perimeter defender who found a way to stay on the court -- the three ball.

Riley laughed him out of Miami when he let the Spurs sign him.

But Bowen never turned down an interview, a chance to get face time, or a chance to learn about his next gig, broadcasting. The kind of guy who might wear on you if had to be around him and didn't share his ambition.

To expect Alonzo Gee or James White to have those qualities is just dreaming.

lefty
07-18-2010, 04:15 PM
We stacked !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

San Antonio Heat baby !!!!!!!!!!!!!

ElNono
07-18-2010, 04:17 PM
Nets already signed Travis Outlaw for 35 million dollars at small forward. Yes the same Travis Outlaw who many thought the Spurs would be able to sign for 2.3 million per year.

Clippers then? They were looking at T-Mac last I heard.
At any rate, I have a hard time thinking the Spurs will match some stupid money offer (you know, $40m/4 years type of offer) for RJ if it were to appear.

Blackjack
07-18-2010, 04:25 PM
Clippers are RJ's last best hope and the one team the Spurs could lose him to without a sign-and-trade. That would flat out suck . . .

slick'81
07-18-2010, 04:28 PM
Clippers are RJ's last best hope and the one team the Spurs could lose him to without a sign-and-trade. That would flat out suck . . .

*shutters*

Blackjack
07-18-2010, 04:35 PM
Davis, Gordon, Gomes/Aminu, Griffin, Kaman

Jefferson looks to upgrade their 3 and put Gomes and Aminu in better roles. We'll see if they are interested.

Trill Clinton
07-18-2010, 04:37 PM
Im happy about this...we were going to offer him the full mle which imo would have been waaaaay too much.

Russ
07-18-2010, 04:38 PM

RJ is an LA boy, after all . . . :wow

Everybody frets about losing "James Jones" (whoever that is) and the imperative of signing this or that roster filler . . .

But if the Spurs do well next season, one of the real keys will likely be the re-signing of RJ . . .

HarlemHeat37
07-18-2010, 04:40 PM
Yeah, it's not like all the contenders don't have a good SF, we can totally trot a scrub out there and be okay... :rolleyes

Jefferson isn't a scrub..

I doubt the Clippers go after Jefferson, there's no reason for them to do it..he's on the decline and he doesn't help them for the future..they aren't trying to seriously win now..I'd be surprised..

gospursgojas
07-18-2010, 04:41 PM
RC said himself (see interview posted by Timvp) that a shooter ala Horry, Fin, Barry, and Mason is vital in Spurs offense.

Spurs not finding one will be a disapointment.

ElNono
07-18-2010, 04:42 PM
RC said himself (see interview posted by Timvp) that a shooter ala Horry, Fin, Barry, and Mason is vital in Spurs offense.

Spurs not finding one will be a disapointment.

God forbid we have to make up for those points playing defense...

Blackjack
07-18-2010, 04:46 PM

Hallelujah.

They need shooting, no doubt, but are they really going to settle for the bottom of the barrel or a 6-4 guard to come in and provide it while being a liability on the other end?

Shooting's a commodity you can't just get 'the best of what's left' if you need it to contend. D-Up, go with what you got and make a move at a later date if the young guys don't come through.

gospursgojas
07-18-2010, 04:48 PM

A shooter on the floor is more important for spacing (giving Tim room to work down low/ creating room for Tony and manu to drive) than for points

Although, I do agree that Spurs need to go back to playing some gawd dam D

ElNono
07-18-2010, 04:52 PM
A shooter on the floor is more important for spacing (giving Tim room to work down low/ creating room for Tony and manu to drive) than for points

We got those... Manu, Hill, Dice, Bonner when it doesn't matter, even Tony has a nice J for a while now...

Although, I do agree that Spurs need to go back to playing some gawd dam D

We do :toast.
I rather get a non-centerpiece defensive-minded guy out there... I don't know if Hairston is that guy, but that's the guy I rather have.

Like Blackjack said, there's always February to see who is available...

JonNOKC
07-18-2010, 04:53 PM
No big deal unless we lose out on RJ - if RJ is back then the young guys can fill in as backup or certain matchups - while Jones was 6'8 he was a poor defender and only 200lbs making it easy for most scoring SG/SF to abuse him in the post (same goes for Butler)

Anonymous Cowherd
07-18-2010, 04:54 PM
could Bonner play at SF - and then we sign a cheap old-vet/rookie big? (thinking out loud)

JonNOKC
07-18-2010, 04:56 PM
Hallelujah.

They need shooting, no doubt, but are they really going to settle for the bottom of the barrel or a 6-4 guard to come in and provide it while being a liability on the other end?

Shooting's a commodity you can't just get 'the best of what's left' if you need it to contend. D-Up, go with what you got and make a move at a later date if the young guys don't come through.

:toast James Anderson fits the role as well as anybody out there as FA - in the playoffs you are only gonna play 8-9 guys consistently so out of what is left just not sure it wouldn't be better overall for the Spurs to just let the young guys get some PT under thier belts

ElNono
could Bonner play at SF - and then we sign a cheap old-vet/rookie big? (thinking out loud)

If RJ can play PF, then Bonner can sure play SF... :lol

ohmwrecker
http://katnip.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/creepy-kid2.jpg

Blackjack
07-18-2010, 05:00 PM
James Anderson fits the role as well as anybody out there as FA - in the playoffs you are only gonna play 8-9 guys consistently so out of what is left just not sure it wouldn't be better overall for the Spurs to just let the young guys get some PT under thier belts

He's a big part of the reason I've been advocating they go with their youth. The Spurs I'm told are very high on him, so why not see what he's got and make a move if need be later on down the road? They ain't winning or losing a championship in the first 2 months.

TD 21
07-18-2010, 05:15 PM
Unfortunately, I think it's down to Simmons, Hayes, Novak or Pavlovic, if the Spurs go the free agent route.

My guess is the Spurs won't sign Simmons or Pavlovic. Both have been out of shape in recent years and neither seems like Spurs material.

Hayes seems like Spurs material and he does possess good size and is a decent defender, but he's too mediocre a three-point shooter (35.6% career).

Novak is a legit 40% three-point shooter, but even though he's more of an SF than a PF, he'd be somewhat redundant with Bonner on board. One un-athletic, one dimensional, 6-9 white forward, who can't defend or rebound is more than enough.

I don't want any of these guys (Morrison, I want even less). I'd rather go with the young guys at this point.

murpjf88
07-18-2010, 05:23 PM
He's a big part of the reason I've been advocating they go with their youth. The Spurs I'm told are very high on him, so why not see what he's got and make a move if need be later on down the road? They ain't winning or losing a championship in the first 2 months.

Boy, does that sound familiar.

Srupsog
07-18-2010, 05:30 PM
The spurs were going to offer Jones $6 million so we have some money to spend, the best thing for our team this season is re-sign RJ for less than he was going to make if he didn't opt-out, take a chance on T-MAC at a low level contract, and then sign an insurance wing for a minimum deal like Jarvis Hayes, Damien Wilkins, Bobby Simmons, Rodney Carney, all of them have a decent 3 point shot and they all can play some defense. If we do this, I say we did pretty good this off-season considering the outlook before the off-season.

sefant77
07-18-2010, 05:55 PM
The spurs were going to offer Jones $6 million so we have some money to spend, the best thing for our team this season is re-sign RJ for less than he was going to make if he didn't opt-out, take a chance on T-MAC at a low level contract, and then sign an insurance wing for a minimum deal like Jarvis Hayes, Damien Wilkins, Bobby Simmons, Rodney Carney, all of them have a decent 3 point shot and they all can play some defense. If we do this, I say we did pretty good this off-season considering the outlook before the off-season.

RRYmudWEUSo

mountainballer
07-18-2010, 06:02 PM
we are running out of options.
trades might be what it takes to get a quality SF.

I would like them to go for Delfino. Bucks are quite loaded at the wing (Salmons, Maggette, Redd, CDR, even Mbah and Iljasova plays some SF). Delfino might be available.

Sigz
07-18-2010, 06:03 PM
James White!

Anonymous Cowherd
07-18-2010, 06:09 PM
Jefferson IS a quality SF. And happens to be the only player (I believe) that we are allowed to pay more than $2.3m next season for.

Srupsog
07-18-2010, 06:11 PM
RRYmudWEUSo

I stated that because of what I read in this espn article;http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5390603 if I am mistaken please clear it up for me.

Anonymous Cowherd
07-18-2010, 06:12 PM
would have been $6m/3 years

or just completely incorrect. We only have $2.3m of our MLE left, having spent the rest of it on Splitter.

Mel_13
07-18-2010, 06:14 PM
I stated that because of what I read in this espn article;http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5390603 if I am mistaken please clear it up for me.

ESPN got it wrong. See post #3 in this thread.

Srupsog
07-18-2010, 06:21 PM
OK my bad, thanks for the correct information, but even with that being our financial situation, it is still plausible to do what I suggested. And if we do what I mentioned, how can it be said that we didn't improve our team vastly from a year ago.

SpurCharger
07-18-2010, 07:14 PM
I'm still jonesing for Matt Barnes... get it?! JONESING?!!

In all seriousness, I really like Barnes for the position. People talk about how bad of a shooter he is, but I don't think he's all that bad. He's a streaky shooter which, imho, is what the Spurs need. If you have a guy that you can rely on defensively and every few games he catches fire? That's golden, man. He wouldn't be anywhere near the top option for scoring, so who cares if he only averages 6.4 ppg? If he drops his offensive assignment's scoring average, then he's doing a hell of a lot for his team. I'd much rather have a tough guy with a true defensive mindset than an average player that can shoot the ball. Give me a guy that can trap a player in the corner all by himself and cause a turnover, and I'll give you wins.
I agree....

timtonymanu
07-18-2010, 07:19 PM
OK it's either resign RJ and sign Butler or Barnes or resign RJ and play Hairston/Gee.

I dont want the Spurs to sign another scrub and try to make him a rotation player (Morrison, Bogans).

8FOR!3
07-18-2010, 09:11 PM
There are a lot of potential outcomes to this. But the best one imo is...

Matt Barnes and Alonzo Gee. Look at this...

Tony Parker/George Hill
Manu Ginobili/James Anderson/Gary Neal
Matt Barnes/Alonzo Gee
Tim Duncan/Antonio McDyess/Matt Bonner
Tiago Splitter/DeJuan Blair

That team is sick. It's a championship contender for sure.

AFBlue
07-18-2010, 10:17 PM

Tony Parker/George Hill
Matt Barnes/Alonzo Gee

I'm looking...and I don't like what I see.

Matt Barnes isn't even a reliable reserve, let alone a serviceable starter. And while Gee has had a solid summer league, I think it's a little premature to place him as a back up SF. Where is Hairston? Spurs are apparently high enough on him to say he doesn't need additional work in SL. And why does Neal deserve a spot on this team? He had one impressive summer league game with mixed results in the others. And this is semantics but...Blair is shifting to PF.

I'm not a big fan of re-signing Jefferson, but if the Spurs can get him on a short-term deal (3yrs) it's better than your alternative.

tuncaboylu
07-19-2010, 01:31 AM
Resigning with RJ is a must at the moment.

James Jones went to Miami, it's sad. If we're going to play with RJ 33-34 minutes, we need a decent SF for the remaining 14-15 minutes. We can give a shot to Hairston and Gee, at least at the first 3 months of regular season. If one of them fits, then great; we can carry on with him. If both of them couldn't fit, we can search some trade opportunities until trade deadline.

TJastal
07-19-2010, 09:40 AM
I'm looking...and I don't like what I see.

Matt Barnes isn't even a reliable reserve, let alone a serviceable starter. And while Gee has had a solid summer league, I think it's a little premature to place him as a back up SF. Where is Hairston? Spurs are apparently high enough on him to say he doesn't need additional work in SL. And why does Neal deserve a spot on this team? He had one impressive summer league game with mixed results in the others. And this is semantics but...Blair is shifting to PF.

I'm not a big fan of re-signing Jefferson, but if the Spurs can get him on a short-term deal (3yrs) it's better than your alternative.

Fact: Matt Barnes started almost every game for Orlando last year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/basketball/fba/story?page=Forecaster09Week11

One game after replacing Mickael Pietrus in the Orlando lineup, Barnes tallied a double-double (17 points, 11 boards) at Minnesota on Jan. 1. The next night, he went for a season-high 23 points and five 3-pointers at Chicago. It's worth noting that, before the outburst against the Bulls, Barnes was a miserable 19.3 percent (16-of-83) from long distance this season. Still, I can see him averaging about 1.5 3s going forward with starter's minutes.

And after seeing this quote from Magic coach Stan Van Gundy, I like Barnes' chances of sticking in the lineup: "He's the only guy on our team that runs, first of all," Van Gundy told the Associated Press. "Nobody else will run, they jog. He's different than our other guys because he cuts, and he will rebound the ball all the time. He does a lot of things that our other perimeter players don't do."

TJastal
07-19-2010, 09:44 AM
Just did the math, after becoming a starter for the magic Barnes shot 50-124 from range, which translates to a respectable 40%

Unreliable reserve, perhaps. As a starter pretty damn productive.

Lebowski Brickowski
07-19-2010, 09:47 AM
F"He's the only guy on our team that runs, first of all," Van Gundy told the Associated Press. "Nobody else will run, they jog. He's different than our other guys because he cuts, and he will rebound the ball all the time. He does a lot of things that our other perimeter players don't do."[/i]
LMFAO at Van Gundy

Killakobe81
07-19-2010, 11:54 AM

LOL ...
Morrison can probaly shoot but that i all you will get. He got locked down by Sasha in most practices/scrimmages ...enough said.

Harlem is right though how much do the spurs need out of SF if Manu and Anderson have SG on lock, Parker and hill are one the best PG combo IMHO unless CP3 is 100% healthy ...and even if so I think Spurs are close.
(I give them the nod over suns because of defense)

Splitter dice and duncan give the Spurs 3 sold igs with high level of skill ...

Spurs will be a threat especially if they RJ at reduced $ ..and Anderson gives you guys some shooting ...

Really the Spus need health above all else nd they are a top 3 or 4 team in the west with a chance to do serious damage in the playoffs.

CaptainLate
07-19-2010, 01:29 PM
Tmac

I second.

CaptainLate
07-19-2010, 01:32 PM

Shooting's a commodity...

How tall is Gary Neal?
How was his defense?
17-30 from downtown, and regardless whether it was SL, it was still NBA 3PT distance.

CaptainLate
07-19-2010, 01:38 PM
I'm looking...and I don't like what I see....And why does Neal deserve a spot on this team? He had one impressive summer league game with mixed results in the others.

I'd say he at least earned a camp invite. Better to have him at our camp to see if the SL streak can carry over than him end up starring at someone elses and everyone here complaining about what could have been. :bang

TJastal
07-19-2010, 01:52 PM

Tony Parker/George Hill
Matt Barnes/Alonzo Gee

:tu

mingus
07-19-2010, 02:05 PM
Just did the math, after becoming a starter for the magic Barnes shot 50-124 from range, which translates to a respectable 40%

it's a stretch to say he will always shoot close to 40% as a starter. i think his percentages for his career or at least the last couple of season would be more realiable for what his statistics will look like at the end of the day. that's what i would bet my money on. he's basically been a poster boy for shooting inconsistently from three for his career. even going back to the Warriors, one of the reasons he was glued to the bench was because he couldn't hit a shot. he's a flat out inconsistent shooter.

the only thing that will definitively translate would be his D, which is obviously an asset.

i'm of the opinion that the Spurs can't have two inconsistent (at best) three point shooter playing SF in RJ and Barnes at the expense of spacing.

TJastal
07-19-2010, 02:23 PM
it's a stretch to say he will always shoot close to 40% as a starter. i think his percentages for his career or at least the last couple of season would be more realiable for what his statistics will look like at the end of the day. that's what i would bet my money on. he's basically been a poster boy for shooting inconsistently from three for his career. even going back to the Warriors, one of the reasons he was glued to the bench was because he couldn't hit a shot. he's a flat out inconsistent shooter.

the only thing that will definitively translate would be his D, which is obviously an asset.

i'm of the opinion that the Spurs can't have two inconsistent (at best) three point shooter playing SF in RJ and Barnes at the expense of spacing.

3pt shooting usually (if anything) improves over a player's career. Usually because said player loses athleticism, etc and 3pt shooting becomes a more important part of their aresenal. Hell even ol' Finley was still putting up respectable % at the end. In light of this, I would expect just the opposite, that Barnes 3pt shooting % might have some room to grow yet.

And if the spurs had RJ there really isn't much reason to sign Barnes, even though I think Barnes is the better shooter of the two by a good margin.

mingus
07-19-2010, 02:31 PM
3pt shooting usually (if anything) improves over a player's career. Usually because said player loses athleticism, etc and 3pt shooting becomes a more important part of their aresenal. Hell even ol' Finley was still putting up respectable % at the end. In light of this, I would expect just the opposite, that Barnes 3pt shooting % might have some room to grow yet.

And if the spurs had RJ there really isn't much reason to sign Barnes, even though I think Barnes is the better shooter of the two by a good margin.

i'm not doubting that players can improve their three point shot and become reliable three-point shooters. Barnes just hasn't proved to be reliable enough to be consisdered anywhere near consistent. a great example of this is RJ. with the Bucks, RJ was dead on - 39% average. it ended up returning back to normal. RMJ had a little a a little over a season of shooting the 3 well (if you count his year with Washington plus the half-season with the Spurs), but he could be sliding back closer to his career averages.

basically, imo, the reliability is shown in at least two season of shooting the ball well.

TDMVPDPOY
07-19-2010, 02:35 PM
barnes doesnt have to be reliable shooting the 3

as long he hits them when it matters

tuncaboylu
07-19-2010, 03:52 PM

I think you're a little overrating Barnes.

It seems that you're a Barnes admirer. But why do the Magic didn't resign him and bring Q-Rich? Barnes knows the system, the franchise and the teammates. Why did they decide to replace him? He's a defensive stopper, a good three pointer when he starts etc., but his former team didn't want him back. Moreover, 20 days passed since start of the free-agency and still there is no serious move is done to get Barnes by another team. Why don't they want him?

TJastal
07-19-2010, 04:03 PM
I think you're a little overrating Barnes.

It seems that you're a Barnes admirer. But why do the Magic didn't resign him and bring Q-Rich? Barnes knows the system, the franchise and the teammates. Why did they decide to replace him? He's a defensive stopper, a good three pointer when he starts etc., but his former team didn't want him back. Moreover, 20 days passed since start of the free-agency and still there is no serious move is done to get Barnes by another team. Why don't they want him?

Why didn't they resign him? IMO, because they are way over the cap and Barnes wanted more $$$ so they balked and signed a much cheaper replacement in Richardson.

If Barnes had known they were going to tighten the pursue strings this year and not offer him a better contract he probably doesn't opt out.

TJastal
07-19-2010, 04:07 PM
Oh, and to answer your second question, there are several teams inquiring about him, (you'd know this if you paid attention to what was going on), only some (like the heat, LA, & Boston) have nothing but the min salary to offer. The only team with enough money to sign him to a decent price is CLE, who figures to be a bottomdweller in the wake of the LBJ desertion.

Blackjack
07-19-2010, 05:04 PM
How tall is Gary Neal?
How was his defense?
17-30 from downtown, and regardless whether it was SL, it was still NBA 3PT distance.

Yeah, he would be that 6-4 defensive liability I was referring to.

Could they take him on in a Kerr, role? They could -- but they don't have much need at the 2 and the only way your shooting is there when you need it ... is if it's on the floor.