PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Article on Splitter's Jewish Roots

VI_Massive
07-18-2010, 01:31 PM
It was published back in 2007, but McDonald just re-tweeted it. Looks like we got ourselves a real mensch!

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3365622,00.html

Alongside his basketball shoes and toothbrush, Tiago Splitter packed a list of names, and some emotional baggage for his flight to Israel. The match against Maccabi Tel Aviv at the opening of the top 16 will be much more than just a game for Tau Vitoria’s Brazilian center.

It turns out that Splitter (22, 2.12 m) has Jewish roots which go back five generations. Six members of his family died in Auschwitz death camps. His father, Cassio Splitter, has been trying to trace back the family tree for the past 28 years, and asked his son to use the visit to the holy land to gather as much information as possible.

“I grew up like a regular Christian boy, but my father always told me about our Jewish background,” Tiago tells ynet. “This is my first visit to Israel, and I am very excited. It’s a very special place to me. Unfortunately, I will not be able to visit Jerusalem and the holy places because of the preparations for the game, but I hope to have another chance to visit in the future.”
One family's journey

The family journey began in about 1870, when Johann Splitter, Cassio’s great-grandfather, left Germany to settle in Brazil with his wife, Anna Saul. “To this day I cannot figure out the exact reason they fled Germany,” says the senior Splitter. “Other relatives stayed in Europe, and I know some of them were in a Polish town in the Krakow area.”

In his search for his family history, Cassio visited Hamburg and Bremen. He met Regina Splitter, a relative, at the historical archives in Rio de Janeiro. The two traveled to Poland together, where they discovered that their ancestors were killed in the Holocaust. “There are no more members of the Splitter family left in Poland today,” he says.
Cassio visited his son in Vitoria last week, and joined him and the team for the Royal Cup games in Malaga. He missed the flight to Tel Aviv: “It could have been amazing, but I was too late, unfortunately. Even though I am a church member, I am very connected to Judaism. The full truth lies in Kabbalah, and you cannot question it. I live in Santa Catarina in Southern Brazil, and many of my friends are Jews. I will not give up the search for my family history. I see it as my life’s work.”

Tiago Splitter is considered as one of basketball’s rising stars, and is marked as a potential NBA player. He joined Tau Vitoria at the age of 15, and has played there ever since. He opens games regularly, along Argentinean Luis Scola.
“Everyone needs to know where they come from,” he sums up. “I think that fleeing Europe caused the detachment from Judaism. I respect Judaism and feel close to it. Even though I am Christian, ultimately, we all come from the same place.”

Cant_Be_Faded
07-18-2010, 01:33 PM
His real name is Splitbergstein

Cane
07-18-2010, 01:38 PM
I'm sure there are some David Stern and Dirk Nowitzki jokes in there somewhere...maybe he can assume that nickname from Inglorious Basterds, "Bear Jew" :p:

mingus
07-18-2010, 02:03 PM
this is cool. makes me more of a fan as a jew.

clubalien
07-18-2010, 02:10 PM
i am not jewish, but jews have a long history of dominating basketball. HOPING SPLITTER BRINGS SOME JEWBALL TO THE SPURS SHOULD WOULD HELP US.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=123368994[
Long before Kobe, LeBron and Shaq, there was Ossie as a Schectman, Nat as in Holman and Sammy as in Kaplan. Who were they? Well, they were some of the biggest names in basketball back in the first half of the 20th century. At that time, basketball was the game among the children of European Jewish immigrants. Teams of rosters that were made up entirely of Jewish players traveled up and down East Coast. And Jewish players, coaches and owners played a vital role in the start of todays NBA.

http://www.gbmnews.com/articles/1168/1/In-the-early-days-Jewish-players-dominated-American-basketball/Page1.html

they emphasized ball-handling, dribbling, passing, give-and-goes and the all-important feint. Outperformed rivals called it “Jewball.”

Solid D
07-18-2010, 02:40 PM
Millions of people moved out of Germany and Europe during the 1800s. There was a failed revoltution in Germany in the mid 1800s, along with a perceived lack of political and social freedoms. As Germany and Europe become industrialized, many manual laborers lost their jobs. Plus taxation became heavier, so people started looking for cheaper land and better opportunity in North and South America.

I googled. :)

smrattler
07-18-2010, 02:44 PM
Funny... he doesn't look Jewish.

smrattler
07-18-2010, 02:51 PM
i am not jewish, but jews have a long history of dominating basketball. HOPING SPLITTER BRINGS SOME JEWBALL TO THE SPURS SHOULD WOULD HELP US.

I don't know about all of that, but I hope he shows some real motzo balls when they try getting physcial with him next year.

lotr1trekkie
07-18-2010, 04:07 PM
Tiago is a Christian of Jewish heritage. So was Jesus. Let's move on from the food jokes.

20beastie45
07-18-2010, 04:14 PM
he's Jewish? and how much did we pay him?

spurs1990
07-18-2010, 05:27 PM
There were scattered uprisings among the commoners all over Europe in 1848.

But the story says the Splitter klan disembarked to Brazil in 1870, at the onset of the Franco-Prussian war, which would lead to a unified Germany.

Anyway, the story relates that some of Splitters distant relatives were to become victims, but seeing as how the patriarch Johann's kin who remained in Europe probably intermarried with Jews, it's likely that Tiago has no Jewish blood to speak of.

Regardless, nice article for us history buffs.

RoddyBukkake
07-18-2010, 05:30 PM
Zionist Stern approves

Supergirl
07-18-2010, 06:42 PM
awesome, joining Jordan Farmar and Omar Cassri as the only Jews in the NBA...

*proud of my people*

Borat Sagyidev
07-18-2010, 10:03 PM
He had his horns removed. Clever.

Borat Sagyidev
07-18-2010, 10:04 PM
Be wary of Imposters

Kori Ellis
07-18-2010, 10:15 PM
awesome, joining Jordan Farmar and Omar Cassri as the only Jews in the NBA...

*proud of my people*

Just for clarity, Splitter isn't a Jew. He's Christian - he has Jewish ancestry.

Nathan89
07-18-2010, 10:23 PM
I guess he is no longer proud of his people.

spurs1990
07-18-2010, 10:28 PM
Just for clarity, Splitter isn't a Jew. He's Christian - he has Jewish ancestry.

Jewishness can be and has been used as an ethnic label...matter of fact I believe this view is held in preponderance inside and outside of Jewish diaspora.

Point blank, if Splitter has it in his blood, the die is cast.

One drop rule.

Supergirl
07-19-2010, 10:51 AM

As was true for many Jews throughout history. His family survived the Holocaust - of course they've wound up being Christians by now, it's a lot safer.

Judaism is not just a religion, it's a civilization and a people.

Supergirl
07-19-2010, 10:54 AM
Jewishness can be and has been used as an ethnic label...matter of fact I believe this view is held in preponderance inside and outside of Jewish diaspora.

One drop rule.

well, that's certainly the anti-Semitic idea, anyway. Sort of resembles the "if you're even 1/8 Black you're Black" rule.

But according to Jewish law (Halacha) ---and hey, we should get to make our own rules -- your mother has to be Jewish in order to be Jewish. Reform Jews have broadened that at times to include your father, depending on circumstance. But one parent has to be Jewish to be considered Jewish at all.

in2deep
07-19-2010, 11:08 AM
unlike Lebron, Splitter really is the chosen one

in2deep
07-19-2010, 11:09 AM

One drop rule.

Yessum massa! Is there anything else I can get you massa?

smrattler
07-19-2010, 11:18 AM
Time to move this thread somewhere else so we can get back to basketball?

Obstructed_View
07-19-2010, 11:54 AM

Actually, to be clear, he's ethnically Jewish. His religion is irrelevant.

CaptainLate
07-19-2010, 01:47 PM
Funny... he doesn't look Jewish.

Nor does he look like a Khazar.

smrattler
07-19-2010, 01:52 PM
Nor does he look like a Khazar.

He looks like Stiffler according to people around here.

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-19-2010, 01:55 PM
And H-E-B's got it's latest spokesman for its fully cooked briskets.

CaptainLate
07-19-2010, 01:57 PM

His ancestry being Jewish is doubtful. Odds are much greater that his roots go back to the pagan Khazar kingdom who in the eighth century converted en masse to Talmudic Judaism (definitely not the religion of the OT Israelites, but a tribal cult). You can do a search on "Khazar".

http://globalfire.tv/nj/10en/jews/the_talmud.htm
http://revisionistreview.blogspot.com/
http://www.revisionisthistory.org/

Supergirl
07-19-2010, 02:51 PM
"Six members of his family died in Auschwitz death camps. "

I don't remember the Nazis rounding up Khazar people during WWII...

Kori Ellis
07-19-2010, 04:14 PM
As was true for many Jews throughout history. His family survived the Holocaust - of course they've wound up being Christians by now, it's a lot safer.

Judaism is not just a religion, it's a civilization and a people.

I know that. I'm just saying that he's a Brazilian Christian who some of his ancestors were Jewish. He's not a Jew since his mom isn't a Jew, right?

Kori Ellis
07-19-2010, 04:17 PM
Never mind - you said the same thing about the mother in another post after the one I quoted.

20beastie45
07-19-2010, 06:23 PM
unlike Lebron, Splitter really is the chosen one
:lmao

spurs1990
07-19-2010, 07:36 PM
Yessum massa! Is there anything else I can get you massa?

Yeah you can ask your uncle not to run for reelection in 2012. Lol

jimo2305
07-19-2010, 08:25 PM
and we still got him to sign for that kind of contract? impressive.. :lol

Obstructed_View
07-19-2010, 10:16 PM
and we still got him to sign for that kind of contract? impressive.. :lol

Be nice.

timvp
07-19-2010, 10:20 PM
Actually, to be clear, he's ethnically Jewish. His religion is irrelevant.

Technically, depending how far you go back, couldn't most Christians be considered ethnically Jewish?

:stirpot:

bigbendbruisebrother
07-19-2010, 10:24 PM
Oy vey this summer is dragging by.

CaptainLate
07-21-2010, 11:25 AM
Technically, depending how far you go back, couldn't most Christians be considered ethnically Jewish?

:stirpot:

St. Paul is the Apostle who spread the Gospel to the Gentiles, who far, far outnumber Jews. Gentiles, or non-Jews, are obviously not ethnically Jewish.

Therefore, no, most Christians are definitely not ethnically Jewish. Heck, if you want to get technical, you would say that most people who claim to be Jewish are actually religiously, not ethnically, Jewish. Ethnically, they are Khazarian.

YoMamaIsCallin
07-21-2010, 08:05 PM
quote from Airplane movie:

Stewardess: Would you like something to read?
Passenger: Do you have anything light?
Stewardess: Here's a pamphlet about famous Jewish athletes.

This is of course a myth. One of the greatest pitchers ever was Sandy Koufax, a devout Jew. Kevin Youkilis, one of the best players for the Red Sox (if not the best), is Jewish.

For current NBA players, Omri Casspi (Israeli) and Jordan Farmer. In the WNBA, Sue Bird and former player Nancy Lieberman.

Leonard Curse
07-22-2010, 03:10 AM
you know how jewish people help eachother out a whole lot career wise in all industries...well pop knew he just bought himself an untouchable 7fter/trip to the finals as long as stern is there hahaha jk ......or am i?..... ok i am

Leonard Curse
07-22-2010, 03:14 AM
"Six members of his family died in Auschwitz death camps. "

I don't remember the Nazis rounding up Khazar people during WWII...

:lol good one. isnt there a poster here w/ "khazar" as his spurs talk name??

CaptainLate
07-22-2010, 12:09 PM
:lol good one. isnt there a poster here w/ "khazar" as his spurs talk name??

Read Ch. II v. 9 of the Apocalypse and start your education as to who are Jews and who are Khazars.

iminol
07-22-2010, 06:11 PM
Hmm, I didn't know about that, sounds weird. In case you missed, remember one thing. Auschwitz death camps wasn't polish but germans.