PDA

View Full Version : James Jones Staying Put

Flo-Rida
07-18-2010, 02:26 PM
Free agent forward James Jones said Sunday he has agreed to rejoin the Heat, giving the team another skilled perimeter shooter. The Heat bought out the last three years of Jones' contract on June 30, but Jones said he always thought there was a possibility he would return. Jones will earn the $1 million veteran's minimum this season, combined with the $1.5 million buyout sum he is owed for the upcoming season. Jones passed up more money elsewhere. San Antonio reportedly was interested in giving him part of its $6 million mid-level exception. ``I still feel I have unfinished business here,'' said Jones, who played limited minutes last season. ``The opportunity to win a championship was too much to pass up. Hopefully, the minutes will be there and I will make teams pay.'' Miami Herald

http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm

sribb43
07-18-2010, 02:56 PM
This is the final piece to the 'ship....

JMarkJohns
07-18-2010, 04:10 PM
This is another loop hole that needs to be fixed. You shouldn't be able to buy a player out to clear cap space, then turn around and sign that same player on the cheap.

Agreed.

lefty
07-18-2010, 04:15 PM
We stacked !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

San Antonio Heat baby !!!!!!!!!!!!!

JamStone
07-18-2010, 04:40 PM
This is another loop hole that needs to be fixed. You shouldn't be able to buy a player out to clear cap space, then turn around and sign that same player on the cheap.

I would agree but with a qualifier. I think if it's a player who is on an MLE contract or higher, then they shouldn't be able to be bought out and re-sign with that same team. But a player like James Jones, I don't have a problem with him going back to the Heat.

Trill Clinton
07-18-2010, 04:42 PM
agreed.

+1

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-18-2010, 04:42 PM
Buyouts in general are a bunch of bullshit. When a veteran wants to sign for the min and go ring chase, it should cost him money. Someone like Sam Cassell shouldn't have been able to earn the salary he could only get on a shitty team like the Clippers and also ring chase with the Celtics in the same season. When a player is bought out of his contract he should sit out the remainder of the season.

Dunc n Dave
07-18-2010, 05:22 PM
Buyouts in general are a bunch of bullshit. When a veteran wants to sign for the min and go ring chase, it should cost him money. Someone like Sam Cassell shouldn't have been able to earn the salary he could only get on a shitty team like the Clippers and also ring chase with the Celtics in the same season. When a player is bought out of his contract he should sit out the remainder of the season.

Until the NBA goes to non-guaranteed or partially-guaranteed contracts, buyouts are a necessity. There are too mnay stupid owners throwing around cash to undeserving players, they need some way to erase their mistakes.

I think for the next CBA, if they can't get the players to accept lower salaries, the owners will push for non-guaranteed contracts like the NFL has.

In the meantime, I do agree that a player who is bought out should automatically be ineligible to return to the team that bought him out.

JamStone
07-18-2010, 05:28 PM
The NBA allows non-guaranteed contracts.

sefant77
07-18-2010, 05:51 PM
Spurs had around 2.4 left from the MLE.

Jones just earned 17mio in his career, would be stupid for such a guy to leave 1-1.4 million on the table.

But probably he will get next year a better contract with the Heat and he and Riley "know" it...

MiamiHeat
07-18-2010, 06:52 PM
But probably he will get next year a better contract with the Heat and he and Riley "know" it...

doesn't even have to be with the HEAT

if Jones plays well in his role and contributes, his name is going to be known all around the league because of the HEAT's high profile status and deep playoff run.

so that raises his stock for next year when he's a FA again. bigger salary from another team.

it's smart

JamStone
07-18-2010, 06:54 PM
doesn't even have to be with the HEAT

if Jones plays well in his role and contributes, his name is going to be known all around the league because of the HEAT's high profile status and deep playoff run.

so that raises his stock for next year when he's a FA again. bigger salary from another team.

it's smart

He's a wing player. The Heat have LeBron, Wade, and Mike Miller on the wings. How much time is he really going to have to play that role? He'll be lucky if he plays 10 mpg, I'm guessing. He's also a 30 year old role player.

He stayed to win a ring, not to help his contract value for next year.

Dunc n Dave
07-19-2010, 12:33 AM
The NBA allows non-guaranteed contracts.

You know what I mean. I'm talking about ALL contracts being non-guaranteed or partially guaranteed. NFL teams cut big salary vet players every summer to make room for FA acquisitions.

I can see the new CBA making all new contracts only 50% guaranteed, where a team can cut any player for a 50% buyout/cap hit to allow teams to rid themselves of mistake signings like Eddy Curry.

This is especially likely if they make the move to a hard cap.