PDA

View Full Version : Free Agency Has Dried Up - Nothing Left for Spurs?

ceperez
07-19-2010, 06:17 AM
Looks like NBA FA talent has completely dried up.

Spurs haven't been that successful in FA this year (that's unless you consider the Bonner signing as success).

However he's the list of remaining free agents.

Josh Howard - Too Expensive
Matt Barnes - Lockeroom cancer
Rasual Butler
Bobby Simmons - Injury Prone
Tracy McGrady - Injury Prone past his prime
Jarvis Hayes - Soft and inconsistent shot.
Bostjan Nachbar - * showed guts once in a playoff game. Likely target.
Rodney Carney
Stephen Graham
Alan Anderson
Devin Brown - Much older than when he was a Spur.
Antoine Wright
Joey Graham
Keith Bogans - Fail if signed again.
Damien Wilkins

Not a very promising collection of players!

ChumpDumper
07-19-2010, 06:18 AM
Why did you copy the list from another thread to start a thread that duplcates what was being discussed in the thread where you found this list?

TJastal
07-19-2010, 06:36 AM

Spurs haven't been that successful in FA this year (that's unless you consider the Bonner signing as success).

Rasual Butler
Rodney Carney
Stephen Graham
Alan Anderson
Antoine Wright
Joey Graham
Damien Wilkins

So exactly where do you get the idea that Matt Barnes is a lockerroom cancer? Because I've never heard anything of the sort.

McGrady is probably more deserving of the "lockerroom cancer" label and would subtly bitch about everything from minutes to role on the team. Barnes otoh is cool, he'd do whatever Pop asked him and not make waves.

TJastal
07-19-2010, 06:39 AM
http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/2010/05/make-no-mistake-matt-barnes-wants-to-get-in-kevin-garnetts-head.html

Gotta love a guy who will deliberately get under KG's skin. Very Bowen-esque.

mountainballer
07-19-2010, 07:51 AM
did I miss something? is there an award for starting the most superfluous threads within a single day? what's next? a Gary Neal vs. George Hill thread?

Danny.Zhu
07-19-2010, 07:57 AM
Why did you copy the list from another thread to start a thread that duplcates what was being discussed in the thread where you found this list?

:lol

mosdef17
07-19-2010, 08:03 AM
There is talk that Delonte West could be traded to the Timberwolves who would then waive him as his contract is only $500,000 guaranteed. I would love this guy. Put aside all of his off court troubles, I love the tough, gritty way that he plays and would welcome him with open arms if he was willing to play for the $2.4m we have left in the MLE.

quentin_compson
07-19-2010, 08:04 AM
did I miss something? is there an award for starting the most superfluous threads within a single day? what's next? a Gary Neal vs. George Hill thread?

Hey, that's a great idea! I'm gonna sit down and work on that right away.
Maybe someone can get to comparing the NBA careers of Hairston and Gee? :p:

Stump
07-19-2010, 08:05 AM
Dude, even KBP thinks the threads you start are stupid.

Rover82
07-19-2010, 08:29 AM
Did Shannon Brown resign with L.A.?

buttsR4rebounding
07-19-2010, 08:34 AM

Rasual Butler
Rodney Carney
Stephen Graham
Alan Anderson
Antoine Wright
Joey Graham
Damien Wilkins

Of course, you leave off Richard Jefferson who is very likely to re-sign with the Spurs who would be far and away the best on that list. Then Butler as a back-up and the Spurs have very good coverage at the 3 position. Unless you are looking at blowing up the team the Spurs have done well this off season with great value signings in Splitter and Bonner.

TJastal
07-19-2010, 08:43 AM
There is talk that Delonte West could be traded to the Timberwolves who would then waive him as his contract is only $500,000 guaranteed. I would love this guy. Put aside all of his off court troubles, I love the tough, gritty way that he plays and would welcome him with open arms if he was willing to play for the $2.4m we have left in the MLE.

Hide the mamas!

TJastal
07-19-2010, 08:45 AM
As far as lockerroom cancers go, I would have to think a guy who sleeps with other teammates' mamas would probably fall into that category.

buttsR4rebounding
07-19-2010, 08:55 AM

West is a good player, but the 2 position is probably the deepest position we have on the team: Manu, Hill, Anderson and Gee. The only other money the Spurs spend will be on re-signing RJ and a back up to him. If Shaq wants to play for the LLE you would have to consider that as well, otherwise the team is set.

TJastal
07-19-2010, 09:15 AM
Fixed.

West is a good player, but the 2 position is probably the deepest position we have on the team: Manu, Hill, Anderson and Gee. The only other money the Spurs spend will be on signing Matt Barnes and calling it an off season. If Shaq wants to play for the LLE you would have to consider that as well, otherwise the team is set.

toki9
07-19-2010, 09:49 AM

He's currently serving an 8-month home detention for gun possession charge...hard to see Pop and RC overlooking that...

"UPPER MARLBORO, Md. - Delonte West has been sentenced to eight months of home detention with electronic supervision on a gun charge, and he will be allowed to continue playing with the Cleveland Cavaliers."

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=708&sid=2002662

ceperez
07-19-2010, 10:27 AM
He's currently serving an 8-month home detention for gun possession charge...hard to see Pop and RC overlooking that...

Like I said, there's barely nothing left out there!

Beggars can't be choosers.

For what its worth, I would consider signing:

NachBarn - Model citizen.
McGrady - May still be serviceable.

I am wary about Barnes because despite being at the prime of his career, nobody seems to want to sign him.

TJastal
07-19-2010, 10:28 AM

I am wary about Barnes because despite being at the prime of his career, nobody seems to want to sign him.

I don't see teams knocking down the door to sign either Nachbar or McGrady either, so what's your point?

TJastal
07-19-2010, 10:30 AM

"UPPER MARLBORO, Md. - Delonte West has been sentenced to eight months of home detention with electronic supervision on a gun charge, and he will be allowed to continue playing with the Cleveland Cavaliers."

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=708&sid=2002662

:lmao

Oh, but he'd be a great fit !! Model citizen too. And to think we actually were considering that terrible Matt Barnes with his getting sent to the locker room and all... Hmmphh!!

ceperez
07-19-2010, 10:34 AM
I don't see teams knocking down the door to sign either Nachbar or McGrady either, so what's your point?

Yes, but given what's out there, are there better choices?

Just checked, Nachbar want to head for the Nets. So looks like its just McGrady left (though I read somewhere he wants to play for the Heat).

FromWayDowntown
07-19-2010, 10:35 AM

Beggars can't be choosers, but with the still lengthy list that you've provided us -- one that isn't even complete, given the omissions of guys like Richard Jefferson and Roger Mason (who may or may not be options here, but are on the free agent market) -- you think the Spurs should just settle for a guy who you say once showed guts in a playoff game and a guy who's broken down and has never shown guts in a playoff game?

In many ways, doing nothing would probably be a better move than what you are proposing.

Obstructed_View
07-19-2010, 10:36 AM
I don't think the Spurs are targeting most of the same players Spurstalk is targeting. There are probably quite a few guys on their radar that are still available.

ceperez
07-19-2010, 10:37 AM
In many ways, doing nothing would probably be a better move than what you are proposing.

That just might be the answer to my original question.... there's nothing left in FA for the spurs to acquire.

ceperez
07-19-2010, 10:40 AM
I don't think the Spurs are targeting most of the same players Spurstalk is targeting. There are probably quite a few guys on their radar that are still available.

So, you mean they're either reconsidering signing Mason or Bogans?

If that's not the case, then its not a FA, likely some guy coming out of Europe or some undrafted player. FA is practically closed for the Spurs.

Obstructed_View
07-19-2010, 10:48 AM
So, you mean they're either reconsidering signing Mason or Bogans?

If that's not the case, then its not a FA, likely some guy coming out of Europe or some undrafted player. FA is practically closed for the Spurs.

You're an idiot.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-19-2010, 10:49 AM
FA is practically closed for the Spurs.

You're looking like a bigger drama queen than LeBron.

TDMVPDPOY
07-19-2010, 10:53 AM
who let this attention whorse out

ohmwrecker
07-19-2010, 10:57 AM
I have a serious question. Why do stupid threads like these get more attention than a well thought, interesting topic? I find this fact to be the most annoying aspect of this forum.

Dex
07-19-2010, 10:59 AM
Devin Brown wouldn't be bad for a backup SF, but it all comes down to if he's matured or not. If he is still gonna bring a lazy attitude to the team and be unhappy about playing time, then no thanks.

Russ
07-19-2010, 11:01 AM
I would guess that the percentage of NBA FAs who have already signed with a team is 20-25%. The big names may be gone but this is the time when bargains are obtained, needs filled, and champion teams built.

smrattler
07-19-2010, 11:03 AM
Devin Brown wouldn't be bad for a backup SF, but it all comes down to if he's matured or not. If he is still gonna bring a lazy attitude to the team and be unhappy about playing time, then no thanks.

Man, I must have missed something back then when Devin was with us. I never heard about him having an attitude problem, he always seemed eager and ready to do whatever they asked him to. I thought it was just a money thing that he needed to pursue when he left. Didn't know there were hard feelings with the organization.

ceperez
07-19-2010, 11:04 AM
Man, I must have missed something back then when Devin was with us. I never heard about him having an attitude problem, he always seemed eager and ready to do whatever they asked him to. I thought it was just a money thing that he needed to pursue when he left. Didn't know there were hard feelings with the organization.

Agree.

Mel_13
07-19-2010, 11:06 AM

I don't recall anything about an attitude problem, but there were reports about a less than stellar work ethic.

smrattler
07-19-2010, 11:08 AM
I don't recall anything about an attitude problem, but there were reports about a less than stellar work ethic.

Even that surprises me.

The guy always looked like he was in phenomenal shape. And he stepped in with several times, especially his first or two, with little PT and put in tough situations and seemed to deliver, not unlike what we saw from Temple this past year.

That's how I was impressed very early on.

Nathan89
07-19-2010, 11:47 AM
I have a serious question. Why do stupid threads like these get more attention than a well thought, interesting topic? I find this fact to be the most annoying aspect of this forum.

This is what I was thinking a couple weeks ago when I created a thread.

venitian navigator
07-19-2010, 11:55 AM
at this point wre should try to be a little creative...whattabout a sign and trade of RJ with Cleveland for parker and a trade exception (that we can use for a wing and a big man, like Butler and O'Neal for example ?)

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-19-2010, 01:45 PM

It's the standard Spurs front office / local media white wash whenever a player doesn't work out.

They were typically a cancer/poor attitude/etc.

ElNono
07-19-2010, 01:53 PM
It's the standard Spurs front office / local media white wash whenever a player doesn't work out.

They were typically a cancer/poor attitude/etc.

Agreed. All this after Sean Elliott was drilling in your head all season long how the kid has a great future, is a hustler and is bound to be an AllStar...

ducks
07-19-2010, 01:57 PM
he came to practices late
he thought since he was from sa he could be late

ChumpDumper
07-19-2010, 01:58 PM
who let this attention whorse out
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_v1nyF-OLGLU/SuYectBaxTI/AAAAAAAAAHw/7kjZiAfwxNU/s320/Attention+Horse.bmp

ducks
07-19-2010, 01:58 PM
Agreed. All this after Sean Elliott was drilling in your head all season long how the kid has a great future, is a hustler and is bound to be an AllStar...

sean is a good guy
do you think he would tell the media he was late for practice

ElNono
07-19-2010, 02:02 PM
Sean *IS* a good guy, and a super homer to the point of being almost laughable too. :lol
But that's what I was pointing out. How you can go from the homer 'he's a hustler' to the 'not good enough work ethic' in a matter of months...

ducks
07-19-2010, 02:03 PM
he was always late for work

kori reported it here if I rember correctly

4down
07-19-2010, 03:43 PM
I would guess that the percentage of NBA FAs who have already signed with a team is 20-25%. The big names may be gone but this is the time when bargains are obtained, needs filled, and champion teams built.

Or you can get your work in early and have three max players in hand before FA starts. :rollin

TDMVPDPOY
07-19-2010, 04:13 PM
he was always late for work

kori reported it here if I rember correctly

i think he was busy workin on his usher moves