PDA

View Full Version : Where would Tiago Splitter have been selected in the 2010 draft?

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-19-2010, 12:49 PM
I was looking at the 2010 NBA draft results, and trying to imagine where NBA GMs would have drafted Tiago Splitter had he been available in this year's draft.

Looking at the names after DeMarcus Cousins at #5, I can't imagine a team having passed on a talent as good as Splitter after that selection. Ekpe Udoh over Splitter at #6? I don't think so.

So basically the Spurs have added a guy who, with his marked improvement the last 3 years could have arguably have gone 6th had he been part of this year's draft, and also have a potentially overlooked lottery selection in Anderson coming on board.

All the boo-hooing regarding the '10-'11 Spurs and their 'failure' in making offseason moves seems premature to me, especially when this rookie class for San Antonio might be the best since a guy named Duncan signed here.

(Now if someone could just explain the Bonner signing to me I'd sleep better at night.)

:flag:

Juanobili
07-19-2010, 12:55 PM
Top 10

elemento
07-19-2010, 12:58 PM
top10 for sure !!

smrattler
07-19-2010, 01:01 PM
I remember not long ago it seemed foreigners were very in style for lottery picks.

Cane
07-19-2010, 01:06 PM
If there were on contract hold ups and if Tiago was willing to come over now on a rookie contract, Tiago would be a top 10 pick. The problem was that he was able to make more money in Euroland than what the Spurs could offer since drafting him until now.

He'd have the most decorated career out of nearly anyone in the draft since he's the regular season MVP, playoffs MVP, and champion of the second most competitive bball league in the world....and he's a big man! His main downside would be his age, young players like Favors can get picked high solely on their potential alone if they're 19 or so.

smrattler
07-19-2010, 01:10 PM
Ok, someone just bumped the old thread on this topic.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-19-2010, 01:12 PM
Ok, someone just bumped the old thread on this topic.

That's what I get for only showing up once a month or so.

Galileo
07-19-2010, 02:05 PM
6th pick.

Bruno
07-19-2010, 02:11 PM
It's really hard to be enthusiastic about Spurs after their start of the offseason.

In the draft, Spurs do nothing spectacular. They just drafted 2 players with their own picks. Both players haven't played in SL, it's hard to know whether or not their are steals.

In FA, Spurs have re-signed Bonner, a less than stellar player especially in the playoffs and have finally bring Splitter. Splitter could be a very good addition but he isn't a jaw dropping one because he is a rookie.

So far, Spurs offseason has maybe been solid but it surely hasn't been spectacular. Now, Spurs have some aging players and have been swept in the second round. I'm sure a lot of fans were hoping some spectacular movements that could bring back Spurs on top. If the rest of the offseason is as expected (RJ re-signed and an average vet SF added), Spurs, on the paper, will be nowhere near a true contender.

TDMVPDPOY
07-19-2010, 02:31 PM
if he didnt have a euro contract

he be lottery had he declare...the year we drafted him, he was lottery pick had he declared earlier in his late teens

Solid D
07-19-2010, 02:37 PM
It's really hard to be enthusiastic about Spurs after their start of the offseason.

In the draft, Spurs do nothing spectacular. They just drafted 2 players with their own picks. Both players haven't played in SL, it's hard to know whether or not their are steals.

In FA, Spurs have re-signed Bonner, a less than stellar player especially in the playoffs and have finally bring Splitter. Splitter could be a very good addition but he isn't a jaw dropping one because he is a rookie.

So far, Spurs offseason has maybe been solid but it surely hasn't been spectacular. Now, Spurs have some aging players and have been swept in the second round. I'm sure a lot of fans were hoping some spectacular movements that could bring back Spurs on top. If the rest of the offseason is as expected (RJ re-signed and an average vet SF added), Spurs, on the paper, will be nowhere near a true contender.

As I stated in the other thread back before the draft, talent-wise, Splitter is a Top 5 pick, but it was based on a hypothetical scenario. Real world, a 25 year old isn't going lottery, the way things go down nowadays.

With respect to Bruno's assessment of the off-season thus far, I would say it summarizes well and I'll just add that the Spurs need to beef up their 4-hotdogs, 4-Cokes, and a family size popcorn specials. At least 10 more of these on the calendar for 2010-11!!!