PDA

View Full Version : What if

MR.SILVER&BLack
07-19-2010, 01:56 PM
What If we had never traded away so many of our draft picks in the last decade? would we have more than 4 titles by now? :lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt:

so far we have let go of:
G/F John Salmons
F Luis Scola
G Leandro Barbosa
F Damir Markota
F Georgios Printezis
G Goran Dragić

John Salmons seems to be the shooting wing we have been looking for. A combo of Bruce and Salmons off the bench would have the 3 on lockdown. plus we would have never had to experience RJ & Bowen would have retired a Spur with #12 for sure going up in the Rafters.

Luis Scola in the front line with Duncan would have made us a terror in the post. very good on offense, willing to step in front of players driving to the basket, & I would have liked to see how He, Manu, & Oberto would have played together.

Leandro Barbosa would have been a great 6th man for us. Very quick, Great from behind the Arc, & when Manu has been injured would have filled manus spot very well.

Dont know much about Damir Markota but from the players i have seen come from overseas we dont know if he would have been a flop or a great role playing foward.

Georgios Printezis is a 2 time allstar and Allstar MVP of the Greek league. Hes an athletic 6ft 9in Small foward. He could have brought Size, athleticism, & excitments to this team(Greek allstar dunk champion)

Goran Dragić like Hill has been a huge surprise. Im happy we kept Hill over Dragić but no so happy we didnt keep both. Dragić has shown to be a very solid pass first PG. along with being solid from behind the arc & having the ability to get to the rim, he could have been a great PG for us in the future.

Our roster today could look like:

PG: Parker, Hill, Gragić (o no! this is gonna cause a Tony Parker tade scenario post)
SG: Manu, Barbosa, Hill
SF: Salmons, Hairston or FA, Manu
PF: Scola, Blair, Mcdyess
C: Duncan, Splitter, Mcdyess

Mel_13
07-19-2010, 02:02 PM

PG: Parker, Hill, Gragić (o no! this is gonna cause a Tony Parker tade scenario post)

The draft picks used to select Blair and Hairston were acquired in exchange for the draft pick used to select Dragic.

You can either have Dragic or you can have Blair plus Hairston. I'll take Blair plus Hairston.

Oh, and the Spurs got Speedy Claxton in exchange for Salmons. Seems like Speedy made a nice contribution to the 2003 title.

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-19-2010, 02:02 PM
No way the Spurs would have the cap space to hold on to the guys whose rookie contracts are up. Salmons and Scola cashed in this summer.

Blackjack
07-19-2010, 02:06 PM
Of the players mentioned, only Scola (maybe Salmons would've been but it was a prearranged deal with Philly just like the other players mentioned IIRC) was a Spurs selection.

Carry on.

MR.SILVER&BLack
07-19-2010, 02:06 PM
The draft picks used to select Blair and Hairston were acquired in exchange for the draft pick used to select Dragic.

You can either have Dragic or you can have Blair plus Hairston. I'll take Blair plus Hairston.

Oh, and the Spurs got Speedy Claxton in exchange for Salmons. Seems like Speedy made a nice contribution to the 2003 title.

yea would much rather have Blair and Hairston than Dragic, but didnt Claxton leave right after 03? but Salmons has been a beast the last few seasons.

rayray2k8
07-19-2010, 02:07 PM
You obviously don't know what you're talking about. Fucking noob.

MR.SILVER&BLack
07-19-2010, 02:12 PM
You obviously don't know what you're talking about. Fucking noob.

just trying add a thread that steers away from a tony parker trade, shaq, & the same FA threads that are all about the same few players. sorry. no need to be an asshole to the new guy.

Texas_Ranger
07-19-2010, 02:16 PM
Georgios Printezis is a 2 time allstar and Allstar MVP of the Greek league. Hes an athletic 6ft 9in Small foward. He could have brought Size, athleticism, & excitments to this team(Greek allstar dunk champion)

All this greeks are making me crazy. :bang:bang:bang:bang:bang

K-State Spur
07-19-2010, 02:16 PM
What If we had never traded away so many of our draft picks in the last decade? would we have more than 4 titles by now? :lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt:

so far we have let go of:
G/F John Salmons
F Luis Scola
G Leandro Barbosa
F Damir Markota
F Georgios Printezis
G Goran Dragić

John Salmons seems to be the shooting wing we have been looking for. A combo of Bruce and Salmons off the bench would have the 3 on lockdown. plus we would have never had to experience RJ & Bowen would have retired a Spur with #12 for sure going up in the Rafters.

Luis Scola in the front line with Duncan would have made us a terror in the post. very good on offense, willing to step in front of players driving to the basket, & I would have liked to see how He, Manu, & Oberto would have played together.

Leandro Barbosa would have been a great 6th man for us. Very quick, Great from behind the Arc, & when Manu has been injured would have filled manus spot very well.

Dont know much about Damir Markota but from the players i have seen come from overseas we dont know if he would have been a flop or a great role playing foward.

Goran Dragić like Hill has been a huge surprise. Im happy we kept Hill over Dragić but no so happy we didnt keep both. Dragić has shown to be a very solid pass first PG. along with being solid from behind the arc & having the ability to get to the rim, he could have been a great PG for us in the future.

at least a couple of guys (i.e. barbosa) were not really drafted by the spurs, they were drafted specifically for the team they were being traded to.

if the spurs had used all those picks for themselves, they might well have selected a different player altogether.

rayray2k8
07-19-2010, 02:22 PM
just trying add a thread that steers away from a tony parker trade, shaq, & the same FA threads that are all about the same few players. sorry. no need to be an asshole to the new guy.

Dumbass, there's no way the spurs could have had your "so-called" roster.
Claxton in 2003 hit some big shots for the spurs in the finals. Wonder 'what if' the spurs have kept Salmons, would the spurs have won in 2003?

Besides, Salmons got his contract as did Luis Scoa, so how do you expect the spurs to afford that kind of money? This isn't fantasy basketball junior. :rolleyes

And I'm not even gonna bother commenting on the Blair/Dragic since it's the same fucking player, hence me saying that you have NO idea what you're talking about..

Now.. Disappear

MR.SILVER&BLack
07-19-2010, 02:23 PM
at least a couple of guys (i.e. barbosa) were not really drafted by the spurs, they were drafted specifically for the team they were being traded to.

if the spurs had used all those picks for themselves, they might well have selected a different player altogether.

but thats what makes me wonder. we all know that RC and POP have shown to be the best at picking the right players from overseas. with Barbosa being from Brazil, i have a feeling that they had an eye on him. but Dragic has turnd into a solid PG due to him playing with nash.

ChumpDumper
just trying add a thread that steers away from a tony parker trade, shaq, & the same FA threads that are all about the same few players. sorry. no need to be an asshole to the new guy.Actually, this topic has been done to death as well. Sorry.

Russ
georgios printezis is a 2 time allstar and allstar mvp of the greek league. Hes an athletic 6ft 9in small foward. He could have brought size, athleticism, & excitments to this team(greek allstar dunk champion).

KBP, is that you?

admiralsnackbar
07-19-2010, 02:25 PM
Dude...

I know it's the offseason and all, but does a noob really deserve the flaming truncheon of death for posting up some fanciful shit? Relax, gents :lol

Blackjack
07-19-2010, 02:30 PM

That's what I was alluding to in my post.

Every player mentioned, with the exception of Scola and possibly Salmons (though I believe he to fall in the same category) were prearranged deals where the Spurs' trading partner selected the player.

MR.SILVER&BLack
07-19-2010, 02:31 PM
Dumbass, there's no way the spurs could have had your "so-called" roster.
Claxton in 2003 hit some big shots for the spurs in the finals. Wonder 'what if' the spurs have kept Salmons, would the spurs have won in 2003?

Besides, Salmons got his contract as did Luis Scoa, so how do you expect the spurs to afford that kind of money? This isn't fantasy basketball junior. :rolleyes

And I'm not even gonna bother commenting on the Blair/Dragic since it's the same fucking player, hence me saying that you have NO idea what you're talking about..

Now.. Disappear

OMG. thats why i put what if. i never put why didnt we keep these players. all im doing is seeing what would have happened if these guys would have stayed. yes i know the #'s would be outrageous. you can tell just by Scolas contract alone. i dont see where i tried to make the contracts work in my post. but obviously you need your threads to be perfect with working #'s to please your ass.

and i would love to read your point on how BLAIR & DRAGIC are the same player because im fucking stumped on that point. :lmao

TDMVPDPOY
07-19-2010, 02:33 PM
all those picks dont mean shit to me had we signed jax

FromWayDowntown
07-19-2010, 02:39 PM
and i would love to read your point on how BLAIR & DRAGIC are the same player because im fucking stumped on that point. :lmao

I think his point is that the Blair pick came from the Dragic trade. They're obviously different players, but in your "what if" scenario, you can't have both of them.

Also, what you don't take into account -- all other criticisms aside -- is how those players might have affected the Spurs' draft positions in later years. There is a domino effect.

One other thing -- if you assume Barbosa is with the Spurs, you have to take a player like Nazr Mohammed out of the equation, since the Spurs used assets acquired in the Barbosa deal (specifically, a Phoenix pick) to get Mohammed. That might seem insignificant, but Mohammed did have a pretty significant impact on the 2005 title team.

Nathan Explosion
07-19-2010, 02:40 PM

Blair was selected using the pick that was acquired when the Spurs "drafted" Dragic and traded him to the Suns. If the Spurs keep Dragic, they don't have the pick used to get Blair. Make sense now?

If the Spurs didn't trade the pick, Barbosa and Dragic aren't selected. IIRC, the Spurs targeted Howard in 2003. If he was on the board when the Spurs pick came up, they were drafting him. Therefore, no Barbosa. Barbosa was only "picked" by the Spurs after the Mavs nabbed Howard. The Spurs saw their guy gone and traded the pick to the Suns, who asked that the Spurs draft Barbosa first.

ducks
07-19-2010, 02:41 PM
If the Spurs had drafted in 2003 they would have picked Josh Howard.

did not duncan want howard

Russ
07-19-2010, 02:41 PM
Every player mentioned, with the exception of Scola and possibly Salmons (though I believe he to fall in the same category) were prearranged deals where the Spurs' trading partner selected the player.

The Salmons pick was at the request of Larry Brown and prearranged.

MR.SILVER&BLack
07-19-2010, 02:44 PM
Blair was selected using the pick that was acquired when the Spurs "drafted" Dragic and traded him to the Suns. If the Spurs keep Dragic, they don't have the pick used to get Blair. Make sense now?

If the Spurs didn't trade the pick, Barbosa and Dragic aren't selected. IIRC, the Spurs targeted Howard in 2003. If he was on the board when the Spurs pick came up, they were drafting him. Therefore, no Barbosa. Barbosa was only "picked" by the Spurs after the Mavs nabbed Howard. The Spurs saw their guy gone and traded the pick to the Suns, who asked that the Spurs draft Barbosa first.

yea i understand that but the way he was getting ass hurt i think he might have ment to put Hill and Dragic.

this is all just somethng to make you wonder.

Gooshie
07-19-2010, 02:52 PM
Trading the 2002 pick (turned out to be Salmons) for Speedy helped us win the 2003 title. No Speedy, no title that year.

Trading the 2003 pick (turned out to be Barbosa) netted a future # 1 from the Suns, which we traded to the Knicks (along with our 2006 #1 pick and Malik Rose) in 2005 for Nazr Mohammed, who helped us win the chip in 2005. Again, no Nazr, no title that year.

There is no guarantee that drafting Salmons in 2002 or Barbosa/Howard in 2003 would have resulted in any championships, so I consider those trades a success. Championships don't exactly grow on trees.

Now Scola??? That's a different matter.

Blackjack
07-19-2010, 03:06 PM
The Salmons pick was at the request of Larry Brown and prearranged.

Thanks, that's how I remembered it. But to be fair, I can't dismiss the possibility of the Spurs selecting him had they not been able to land Claxton.

Regardless, Only Scola was a Spurs pick.

rayray2k8
07-19-2010, 04:14 PM
OMG. thats why i put what if. i never put why didnt we keep these players. all im doing is seeing what would have happened if these guys would have stayed. yes i know the #'s would be outrageous. you can tell just by Scolas contract alone. i dont see where i tried to make the contracts work in my post. but obviously you need your threads to be perfect with working #'s to please your ass.

Aw, forgive me for I meant, "pick".

But here's my middle finger given to you by form of FWD. :toast

I think his point is that the Blair pick came from the Dragic trade. They're obviously different players, but in your "what if" scenario, you can't have both of them.

Also, what you don't take into account -- all other criticisms aside -- is how those players might have affected the Spurs' draft positions in later years. There is a domino effect.

One other thing -- if you assume Barbosa is with the Spurs, you have to take a player like Nazr Mohammed out of the equation, since the Spurs used assets acquired in the Barbosa deal (specifically, a Phoenix pick) to get Mohammed. That might seem insignificant, but Mohammed did have a pretty significant impact on the 2005 title team.

ohmwrecker
07-19-2010, 05:51 PM
sorry. no need to be an asshole to the new guy.

If you take that away from him, he's got nothing left. RayRay is on "noob" patrol.

rayray2k8
07-19-2010, 05:53 PM
If you take that away from him, he's got nothing left. RayRay is on "noob" patrol.

:hat

ohmwrecker
07-19-2010, 05:57 PM
I just wish the Spurs would've picked Maurice Evans in 2001 instead of Bryan Bracey.

elemento
07-19-2010, 06:27 PM
about 2008

I know the FO was really high on both Batum and Hill. Do you guys think we would have picked Batum instead of Hill if he was still available?

I think the FO wanted to pick Batum first and then try Hill with the 2nd round pick. No regrets having Hill, but it would be awesome to have Batum, especially considering our situation ATM.

what do you guys think?

MR.SILVER&BLack
07-19-2010, 06:47 PM
Aw, forgive me for I meant, "pick".

But here's my middle finger given to you by form of FWD. :toast

and then again like i said its just a what if asking what would have happened if we had kept our picks. i have a hard time finding where im defending a point that we should have kept them.

and i will say it again for you. its just something to steer away from the same topic threads that keep on getting posted.

and i know the perfect place for you to stick your middle finger. :D

210Max
07-20-2010, 02:51 AM
Only one I would take back is Scola

Barbosa = part of Nazr Mohammad = championship help
Salmons = Claxton = championship help
Blair>Dragic

the other two dudes is out of this league i think