PDA

View Full Version : So if RJ pulls...

ElNono
07-19-2010, 02:11 PM
... a Stephen Jackson and signs a one year deal with a scrub team and takes a gamble that the next CBA is not going to be that bad after all (dumb, but who walks away from $16m guaranteed, right?). Say we don't get a TE in the process.

How desperate does the FO gets in trying to fill the SF spot?

TimmehC
07-19-2010, 02:14 PM
I have one word for you.

Centerpiece.

Blackjack
07-19-2010, 02:15 PM
I don't know what they could really do other than pick up the best available option (likely Nachbar or Simmons) and just go with what they've got. They'd basically be SOL, whether they were desperate to fill the position or not -- I don't see them trading Parker to fill the role, that's for sure.

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-19-2010, 02:16 PM
Desperate enough to break down a summer league invitee for parts, pull #32 down from the rafters, and turn Sean Elliott into the new 6 Million Dollar Man who will hopefully play for considerably less.

ElNono
07-19-2010, 02:17 PM
I understand this is probably the very worst scenario possible, I'm just wondering if you guys think the FO would be desperate enough to try to pull a trade, or they don't give much of a rats ass and end up playing Bonner, Hairston and/or Hill there and wait for February...

DesignatedT
07-19-2010, 02:17 PM
I'm sure the fo already has offers out to guys like butler and barnes. Many people seem to think that since we haven't signed a small forward that the spurs haven't offered. The fo has been in contact with many of these players. It's up to them if they want to come or not.

K-State Spur
07-19-2010, 02:18 PM

probably not much. it becomes the free agent retread/gee/hairston show, and you'll see a lot of of a 3 guard lineup (tony, manu, and hill) in crunch time situations.

Blackjack
07-19-2010, 02:18 PM
Desperate enough to break down a summer league invitee for parts, pull #32 down from the rafters, and turn Sean Elliott into the new 6 Million Dollar Man who will hopefully play for considerably less.

Desperation the mother of invention, eh?

I like it. :tu

Texas_Ranger
07-19-2010, 02:22 PM
I understand this is probably the very worst scenario possible, I'm just wondering if you guys think the FO would be desperate enough to try to pull a trade, or they don't give much of a rats ass and end up playing Bonner, Hairston and/or Hill there and wait for February...

Bonner is pathetic even at his own position, so I don't like him at SF.
Hairston right now isn't good to be a fucking starter, he should be third opinion for the SF position and not first.
So Spurst better resighn Jefferson or someone else, cause the players are going away and the Spurs are still waiting.

benefactor
07-19-2010, 02:26 PM
They won't knee jerk a trade. They will try to sign a vet and if they can't they will bring back Bogans. Then they will wait for February.

Mel_13
07-19-2010, 02:26 PM
... a Stephen Jackson and signs a one year deal with a scrub team and takes a gamble that the next CBA is not going to be that bad after all (dumb, but who walks away from $16m guaranteed, right?). Say we don't get a TE in the process.

By now, RJ and his agent must realize that they grossly misjudged the market for RJ's services.

I doubt that they compound that mistake by signing a one-year contract with another team. Doing so would leave him without Bird Rights next summer and would further limit his options. If he were to go for a short term deal (one year plus player option for second year), his financial interests would still best be served by staying with the Spurs.

Most reasonable scenarios lead RJ back to the Spurs. Perhaps with his tail between his legs, but back to the Spurs nonetheless.

Now if he left the Spurs without an S&T, the Spurs would have no choice but to get the best possible SF they can with the remainder of the MLE. The more time I have to contemplate the Spurs without RJ, the less concerned I become about that possibility.

Mark in Austin
07-19-2010, 02:33 PM
By now, RJ and his agent must realize that they grossly misjudged the market for RJ's services.

I doubt that they compound that mistake by signing a one-year contract with another team. Doing so would leave him without Bird Rights next summer and would further limit his options. If he were to go for a short term deal (one year plus player option for second year), his financial interests would still best be served by staying with the Spurs.

Most reasonable scenarios lead RJ back to the Spurs. Perhaps with his tail between his legs, but back to the Spurs nonetheless.

Now if he left the Spurs without an S&T, the Spurs would have no choice but to get the best possible SF they can with the remainder of the MLE. The more time I have to contemplate the Spurs without RJ, the less concerned I become about that possibility.

I think the real deal point for RJ to fight for at this point will be a player opt out after the lockout year - clearly he's not going to make as much as he thought he was going to. But no way he signs a 1 year deal with the lockout looming. If he does both he and his agent are dumber than a box of rocks.

ElNono
07-19-2010, 02:36 PM
Thanks all for the opinions. I also feel that a trade at this point would not make sense.

pad300
07-19-2010, 02:43 PM

Desperation the mother of invention, eh?

I like it. :tu

Look, if we are going to get desperate involving criminal experimental surgery, I say brain transplant between James 'Flight" White and Bruce Bowen...

Cane
07-19-2010, 02:48 PM
It'd be SF by committee if we don't have a legitimate starting SF. Maybe look into something by Feb. especially if the Spurs aren't doing well.

Blackjack
07-19-2010, 03:19 PM
If the Spurs are going to be without a starting caliber small forward this year, I'd just assume they sign James White so San Antonio can lay claim to both the Summer League and slam dunk championships.

wildbill2u
07-19-2010, 04:55 PM

Why wouldn't he sign a one year deal with the Spurs? Both sides ought to be happy with that.

AFBlue
07-19-2010, 05:03 PM

Agree 100%. The scenario doesn't make sense, but the outcome (RJ leaves Spurs for Team X w/out S&T) is plausible.

If so, Spurs do exactly what you said. Maybe they look for trade opportunities closer to the deadline if they present themselves, but I'm pretty sure they just sign a SF and roll with the depth they've got.

ducks
07-19-2010, 05:57 PM
do the clippers have anyone they would want

rj could go there

baseline bum
07-19-2010, 06:13 PM
Could be a good thing. Maybe Pop has to go back on his hands and knees to Bowen.

Mark in Austin
07-19-2010, 06:37 PM
Could be a good thing. Maybe Pop has to go back on his hands and knees to Bowen.

Hell, Pop should sign Bowen to a minimum contract just as a bonus / thank you for calling out LeBron in the Olympic practices. :lol

Dex
07-19-2010, 06:40 PM
Pretty crappy that right now, the Spurs are basically in a holding pattern waiting to see how much Jefferson is going to screw them over. He already screwed them by opting out of his contract which was screwing them anyways, now we have to see if he will be screwing them by leaving for nothing or screwing them for years to come on a "modest" salary.

That signing is looking worse and worse by the day.

L.I.T
07-19-2010, 07:38 PM
As long as the 'Centerpiece' is not the plug-in if RJ walks I'm ok with him running off.

Based on various reports it looks to me like the Spurs have been aggressive in trying to find options out there. Will their efforts intensify if RJ walks? I doubt it, the Spurs have never seemed to be a team that engages in rash decision making. They will likely bide their time and continue to explore trade options and troll the bottom of the FA pool for value.

ElNono
07-19-2010, 07:43 PM
Why wouldn't he sign a one year deal with the Spurs? Both sides ought to be happy with that.

Because he would rather go to a bad team, get as many touches as he wants and score as many points as he wants a la Milwaukee? (or as Jax in Atlanta) His stock only has gone down playing for the Spurs and there's no reason to think it won't keep on sinking.

DesignatedT
07-19-2010, 07:47 PM
Bowen wouldn't make this team better. Bowen is done.

Chieflion
07-19-2010, 07:55 PM
Different scenarios. Stephen Jackson, when he left, was still young, and wanted to prove he had the talent to be more than what he was in San Antonio. Richard Jefferson, on the other hand, is going to be 30 years old and obviously turned down the 15 million for long term security. If he signs a one-year deal, I am going to laugh till my jaw hurts.

DPG21920
07-19-2010, 07:56 PM
I think a trade is very reasonable. I just don't think a TP trade is reasonable unless it is a steal.

However, if Hill or Blair or using some of our un-guaranteed contracts can net us something nice, I am all for it.

Dr. Gonzo
07-19-2010, 08:20 PM
Bowen wouldn't make this team better. Bowen is done.

Bowen was done in 08.

wildbill2u
07-19-2010, 09:33 PM
Because he would rather go to a bad team, get as many touches as he wants and score as many points as he wants a la Milwaukee? (or as Jax in Atlanta) His stock only has gone down playing for the Spurs and there's no reason to think it won't keep on sinking.

That's a valid point and you may be right IF he can find a scrubby team that will choose him as their go-to guy.