PDA

View Full Version : Splitter: I’m eager to begin practing with the Spurs

Spurs Brazil
07-19-2010, 03:04 PM
This a interview for Brazilian journalist Fabio Sormani – http://colunistas.ig.com.br/fabiosormani/2010/07/18/o-futuro-segundo-tiago-splitter/

How was your trip to San Antonio and signing his first NBA contract?
We got the contract done, everything was great. It was a step I had to take in my professional career. I think I managed to do what I wanted, arrive in the NBA at the right moment.

Why you waited 3 years to go the NBA?
I had a contract in Europe. But thinking about basketball, I matured a lot [in Europe], I could improve my game, I managed to win both individual and collective titles. I was very happy in those three years in Europe and I improved my game.

What difficulties you expect in your first season in the NBA?
Obviously I need some time to adapt. It is normal after so many years playing in Europe. When I do I won’t have any problem because I have total support of the coaching staff and the management in San Antonio. As for the game in the NBA, it’s much faster in transition. In Spain and Europe, the rules allow much more contact. In the NBA, the defense is very different, they don’t allow much contact. So I have to learn to defend and to set screens at the offense, because it’s also different in the NBA.

What do you think to play alongside Tim Duncan, the best power forward I ever seen, how is your expectation?
He is one of the greatest of all time, He achieved everything you can in the NBA. Of course I'll try to learn as much as I can.

How is your English? Nene, Leandro Barbosa and Varejao suffered enough, because they could not speak English.
It’s better than my Portuguese (laughs). Just kidding ... I can speak well because in Spain most of the players are foreign and English is the common language in the locker room. My English isn’t that great, but in two months I'll be speaking perfectly.

Tell us about Gregg Popovich, coach of San Antonio.
He got four NBA titles, has a huge experience within the league and knows how to win. He coached in four finals and won all. Off the court he is very open, it surprised me. He’s known as a tough guy in the league, but it is normal, because to win you have to be tough

Do you think you will start?
To tell the truth, I'm not thinking about that yet. First I have to work, I have to prepare myself. I need to play well to get my minutes. This is normal; it will be my first year there and I’m eager to begin practicing with the spurs.

What do you think of this team: Tony Parker, George Hill, Manu Ginobili, Tim Duncan and Tiago Splitter? Can you win the conference?
It’s a strong team; we have everything to make a good run. Last year San Antonio played well in the playoffs but had a tough series against Phoenix. They are trying to find new players to improve the team and I hope we can do better than last season

How was the talk with the Spurs about playing with NT?
I haven’t imposed anything. It was just a decision I took and they understand. Their concern is normal. In Europe was the same thing. They are concerned with injuries and the little time to rest.

Talk about the wedding?
It was great, it was what I wanted. My family is happy, my wife's family is happy ...

Is your wife is Spanish?
Yes, yes, she is Spanish.

You lived in a small town. How it’ll be now in San Antonio, which is also a small town. Do you think it’s going to be easier?
It’s a city with a small metropolitan area, but the extent is quite large. They told me last weekIt is one of the ten largest in U.S.. It’ll will be a new stage in my life. I have been playing ten years in Spain, so everything will be different for me. (I don't know if I was right on that one. In the interview Tiago said in portuguese 'centro', that means downtown in english. I think I'll need your help on that one)

Why 22? It’s because 21 is Tim Duncan jersey, right (laughs)?
Like I said, he is one of the greatest players in the NBA and there is a total respect. I didn’t even think about the jersey number.

ducks
07-19-2010, 03:06 PM
wonder if they will throw him an alley oop pass

Spurs Brazil
07-19-2010, 03:07 PM
And on another note, today was the start with Brazil NT training camp. Tiago didn't show up and Brazil officials release said Tiago needed to finish some contact things with the Spurs. I think it's something about the insurance

Blackjack
07-19-2010, 03:15 PM
Love what I'm hearing from Tiago. :tu

His confidence and intelligence really struck me when I saw his interview with Don Harris last night. Can't wait to get a look at both he and Anderson this year. :hungry:

admiralsnackbar
07-19-2010, 03:20 PM
And on another note, today was the start with Brazil NT training camp. Tiago didn't show up and Brazil officials release said Tiago needed to finish some contact things with the Spurs. I think it's something about the insurance

Guy deserves to enjoy his honeymoon, too.

Thanks for translating, btw. Obrigado :toast

phyzik
07-19-2010, 03:32 PM
What do you think of this team: Tony Parker, George Hill, Manu Ginobili, Tim Duncan and Tiago Splitter? Can you win the conference?

It’s a strong team; we have everything to make a good run. Last year San Antonio played well in the playoffs but had a tough series against Phoenix. They are trying to find new players to improve the team and I hope we can do better than last season.

Interesting.

rayray2k8
07-19-2010, 04:24 PM
I like how he said "we" in the interview. :D

Muser
07-19-2010, 04:32 PM
Love what I'm hearing from Tiago. :tu

His confidence and intelligence really struck me when I saw his interview with Don Harris last night. Can't wait to get a look at both he and Anderson this year. :hungry:

What interview?

Blackjack
07-19-2010, 04:54 PM
What interview?

He had a sit-down interview with a San Antonio reporter on the local Sunday show. Haven't seen it posted on their site or anything.

Bruno
07-19-2010, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the translation, Spurs Brazil. :tu

Solid D
07-19-2010, 05:01 PM
You lived in a small town. How it’ll be now in San Antonio, which is also a small town. Do you think it’s going to be easier?
It’s a city with a small metropolitan area, but the extent is quite large. They told me last weekIt is one of the ten largest in U.S.. It’ll will be a new stage in my life. I have been playing ten years in Spain, so everything will be different for me. (I don't know if I was right on that one. In the interview Tiago said in portuguese 'centro', that means downtown in english. I think I'll need your help on that one)

Tiago is correct about San Antonio having a small metropolitan statistical area (MSA). SA's MSA ranking is 28th in the USA, whereas, Dallas/Arlington/Fort Worth Metroplex ranks 4th. SA has expanded it's city limits quite a bit over the past 20 years and so, now they rank 7th - ahead of Dallas (9th).

Spurs Brazil
07-19-2010, 05:29 PM
Tiago is correct about San Antonio having a small metropolitan statistical area (MSA). SA's MSA ranking is 28th in the USA, whereas, Dallas/Arlington/Fort Worth Metroplex ranks 4th. SA has expanded it's city limits quite a bit over the past 20 years and so, now they rank 7th - ahead of Dallas (9th).

Thanks Solid D

Spurs Brazil
07-19-2010, 05:53 PM
According to this brazilian website: http://balanacesta.blogspot.com/2010/07/despedida-oficial.html Tiago will be in Victoria tomorrow for a press conference and then will go to the court he played to say goodbye to the fans

Libri
07-19-2010, 06:15 PM
What difficulties you expect in your first season in the NBA?
Obviously I need some time to adapt. It is normal after so many years playing in Europe. When I do I won’t have any problem because I have total support of the coaching staff and the management in San Antonio. As for the game in the NBA, it’s much faster in transition. In Spain and Europe, the rules allow much more contact. In the NBA, the defense is very different, they don’t allow much contact. So I have to learn to defend and to set screens at the offense, because it’s also different in the NBA.

Also, he will have to break the habit of touching the ball around the basket and avoid goaltending.

20beastie45
07-19-2010, 06:15 PM
2 Months he'll be speaking perfectly.....

:lmao

Libri
07-19-2010, 06:18 PM
(I don't know if I was right on that one. In the interview Tiago said in portuguese 'centro', that means downtown in english. I think I'll need your help on that one)

In Spanish centro is also used for downtown.

Dex
07-19-2010, 06:25 PM
Impressed with Splitter's attitude so far.

Took less money than he probably could've demanded. Understands he's coming into an established system, and has to prove himself in the NBA. Knows he'll have to earn minutes. Seems motivated and ready to get started and be an influence, and genuinely happy to have made the transition.

Most importantly, seems to have great respect for both Tim and Pop. The buck really stops there.

Silver&Black
07-19-2010, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the post SpursBrazil. I don't know what I'd do without you. I can't speak Spanish/Portugese for shit.

m33p0
07-19-2010, 06:31 PM
Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, insert small forward here, Tim Duncan and Tiago Splitter

that's basically where the Spurs are at. i hope it's not Matt Bonner. :cry

MmP
07-19-2010, 06:35 PM
Spanish girls are hot

Dex
07-19-2010, 06:36 PM
Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, insert small forward here, Tim Duncan and Tiago Splitter

that's basically where the Spurs are at. i hope it's not Matt Bonner. :cry

We can only pray.

The logical bet is it will be Jefferson filling in the blank, but it's not about who starts, it's who finishes. As long as he keeps progressing, our closing lineup could very well be:

Parker / Hill / Ginobili / Duncan / Splitter

Puts Manu out of position, but puts the best five men on the floor.

Canibspur
07-19-2010, 06:45 PM
And were excited for you, Brazilian for 3 million. :toast

Dude seriously seems like hes done his homework. Saying the right things. Has a very good plan for himself, and seems to believe theres nothing he cant accomplish if he tries hard enough. A very rare trait among professional athletes. We should be excited.

benefactor
07-19-2010, 07:49 PM
Very encouraging rhetoric from Splitter in that interview. Can't wait until preseason.

xellos88330
07-20-2010, 01:21 AM
Is it preseason yet?

It isn't?

Oh well... time to go eat this depression away.

DMC
07-20-2010, 01:40 AM
I guess it's neat to see what these people say, but it's all pretty much the same bullshit canned responses. It's like they have this response 8-ball and they shake it up and whatever redundant bullshit shows up at the top gets spouted out...

You looked good in the 4th quarter, what changed out there?

"I just wanted to go out and play my game, you know, play 48 minutes of basketball and leave it all on the court. As long as I do that, I don't have any regrets"

There was a turnover at the end of the 3rd that led to a fastbreak at the other end. How were you able to time that steal?

"I just saw the pass and knew I had to go for it. I mean, I just wanted to leave it all out on the court, to give it my all. That's what Pop teaches us, to give it our all, and that's what I tried to do tonight. It's all about playing 48 minutes of basketball and just leaving it all out there on the court"

Do you ever say anything original or did you just take all your responses from older games you watched as a kid?

"I think we play well as a team, and we run some set plays for certain guys and Pop calls plays for these guys. I see that and I know that I have to leave it out there on the court, 48 minutes a night, all on the court, out there for 48 minutes just leaving it out there..."

Ok.. nm

DMC
07-20-2010, 01:42 AM
Is your wife is Spanish?

Uh, how about "do you speak fucking english dude? Is your wife is Spanish? Are you trying to stupid me?

HAITAO
07-20-2010, 06:15 AM
He can become a superstar in NBA

EduRiker
07-20-2010, 09:07 AM
Is your wife is Spanish?

Uh, how about "do you speak fucking english dude? Is your wife is Spanish? Are you trying to stupid me?

How about you show some appreciation for the translation that is being offered to you? Im sure your portuguese is top notch.

ffadicted
07-20-2010, 09:31 AM
2 Months he'll be speaking perfectly.....

:lmao

It took me 2 1/2 months to learn english completely with only a couple hour-long lessons a week when I first moved to North America, with no knowledge of the language at all, save from words like "ball" and "apple" lol. I'm also from Brasil, just like mah boy up there

Granted, I was 14 so it's easier to pick up as a kid around school, but he already knows some, I doubt he'll have problems

Blackjack
07-20-2010, 09:43 AM
I don't think he has much a problem with the language at all.

He was fine in his interview with Don Harris and he was even asked about it and said that English was the language most commonly used in the locker room overseas, seeing as they had a lot of imports.

He may have to think about or search for the right word at times, but he's got a really good grasp from what I could tell -- he actually sounded a bit like Pau in the interview. Very calm, composed and confident guy.

20beastie45
07-20-2010, 09:53 AM
It took me 2 1/2 months to learn english completely with only a couple hour-long lessons a week when I first moved to North America, with no knowledge of the language at all, save from words like "ball" and "apple" lol. I'm also from Brasil, just like mah boy up there

Granted, I was 14 so it's easier to pick up as a kid around school, but he already knows some, I doubt he'll have problems

Sorry it just sounded funny to me....after hearing his interview, I don't think speaking English PERFECTLY would happen....forget speaking English...Just communicate well on the court and we will love you....

ffadicted
07-20-2010, 09:56 AM
Sorry it just sounded funny to me....after hearing his interview, I don't think speaking English PERFECTLY would happen....forget speaking English...Just communicate well on the court and we will love you....

True dat, he'll probably always have an accent, but as long as he understands the plays, I'll be happy :lol

MI21
07-20-2010, 10:37 AM
Thanks a lot for the translation, Spurs Brazil :tu

ElNono
07-20-2010, 10:39 AM
Is your wife is Spanish?

Obvious douche is obvious...

ElNono
07-20-2010, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the translation

urunobili
07-20-2010, 10:52 AM
SpursBrazil is due a Spur :) we need to have him motivated to get all Tiago coverage in Portuguese translated :)

Blackjack
07-20-2010, 01:15 PM
SpursBrazil is due a Spur :) we need to have him motivated to get all Tiago coverage in Portuguese translated :)

Good call; and thanks Spurs Brazil ... I failed to do that the first time around. :toast

Spurs Brazil
07-20-2010, 02:41 PM
Thanks everybody.

lefty
07-20-2010, 02:41 PM
wonder if they will throw him an alley oop pass
I wonder HOW they will throw him an alley oop pass

silverblk mystix
07-20-2010, 03:10 PM
I don't really care too much that he is PRACTING with the spurs...

But I would be more interested to find out when he begins PRACTICING with the spurs...:lol

jk

thanks spurs brazil :toast

Man In Black
07-20-2010, 03:53 PM
Thanks Brazil...Props! :toast

Question: Do you pronounce his name as -Tee-Ah-Go or Cha-go? I was talking to man in a Churrascaria and he kept saying it as Chago.

EduRiker
07-20-2010, 04:59 PM
Tee-Ah-Go. But when we speak fast I can see it sounding like "Chago".

m33p0
07-20-2010, 06:06 PM
I guess it's neat to see what these people say, but it's all pretty much the same bullshit canned responses. It's like they have this response 8-ball and they shake it up and whatever redundant bullshit shows up at the top gets spouted out...

You looked good in the 4th quarter, what changed out there?

"I just wanted to go out and play my game, you know, play 48 minutes of basketball and leave it all on the court. As long as I do that, I don't have any regrets"

There was a turnover at the end of the 3rd that led to a fastbreak at the other end. How were you able to time that steal?

"I just saw the pass and knew I had to go for it. I mean, I just wanted to leave it all out on the court, to give it my all. That's what Pop teaches us, to give it our all, and that's what I tried to do tonight. It's all about playing 48 minutes of basketball and just leaving it all out there on the court"

Do you ever say anything original or did you just take all your responses from older games you watched as a kid?

"I think we play well as a team, and we run some set plays for certain guys and Pop calls plays for these guys. I see that and I know that I have to leave it out there on the court, 48 minutes a night, all on the court, out there for 48 minutes just leaving it out there..."

Ok.. nm

Is your wife is Spanish?

http://blog.infinitemonkeysblog.com/files/images/obvious_troll.preview.jpg