PDA

View Full Version : Matt Barnes off the market

etbluffer
07-19-2010, 08:03 PM
Per Marc Stein on Twitter:

STEIN_LINE_HQ
Just filed to ESPN.com: Matt Barnes and Raptors closing in on two-year deal in $10 million range. Will be completed TUES barring late snag

Maybe he was on Spurs radar? Maybe not?

EricB
07-19-2010, 08:06 PM
Doesn't matter if he was. The mle for barnes?!?! Really Toronto!!??

Amuseddaysleeper
07-19-2010, 08:07 PM
Trust me TPark, Toronto gives out some of the worst contracts in the league. Look at Hedo, Kleiza, and Colderon.

Trill Clinton
07-19-2010, 08:09 PM
Wow...$10 mil? Really?

Dex
07-19-2010, 08:10 PM
I need to start practicing again. I could probably rip a few million off some of these suckers and a get great seat to boot.

barbacoataco
07-19-2010, 08:19 PM
This might give RJ hope that he will get the contract he wants from somebody, since he is clearly better than Barnes.

tim_duncan_fan
07-19-2010, 08:33 PM
Sooooo...we could have had Barnes if the Raptors organization didn't make a point of doing absolutely stupid shit?

tdunk21
07-19-2010, 08:37 PM
lol toronto.......

5in10
07-19-2010, 08:41 PM
Coangelo has really gone off the deep end.

Hooks
07-19-2010, 08:42 PM
Hurry the fuck up Spurs and sign someone already! I hope we at least get Butler.

dbestpro
07-19-2010, 09:07 PM
I would really like to see if there is a way to get Luc Richard Mbah a Moute. His defense is outstanding and with him Milwaukee already has 3 SFs of starting caliber.

Mel_13
07-19-2010, 09:09 PM
I would really like to see if there is a way to get Luc Richard Mbah a Moute. His defense is outstanding and with him Milwaukee already has 3 SFs of starting caliber.

Good young player on a very small contract. If possible at all it would require sending a good young player on a small contract in return, in other words Hill or Blair.

SenorSpur
07-19-2010, 09:20 PM
Trust me TPark, Toronto gives out some of the worst contracts in the league. Look at Hedo, Kleiza, and Colderon.

Don't forget Bargnani.

timvp
07-19-2010, 09:22 PM
Bryan Colangelo makes Isiah Thomas seem like Jerry West.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-19-2010, 09:32 PM
I remember ESPN pimping Colangelo as Executive of the Year not too long ago :lmao

TD 21
07-19-2010, 09:32 PM
I've ripped Colanggelo as much as anyone for years, but I actually don't think this is that bad a signing. I think they should be re-building and trying to lose as much as they can in order to give themselves the best chance to obtain as high a pick as possible, but given that they're not rebuilding because he's desperate to keep his job and repair his reputation, this isn't that bad.

Think about it, the Raptors needed toughness, defensive intensity and a an SF. They just got all of those things. Did they overpay? Of course. But it's for 2 years max. If for whatever reason he's not a good fit or it's not working out, even if he opts in, he becomes a trade asset as an expiring contract in the second season. Or they can just let his deal expire.

Anything more than 2 years and I would have said this is terrible, but they're not going to be hamstrung from this signing. The Turkoglu contract, had they not miraculously found a taker, would have rendered them hamstrung (particularly in conjunction with Bargnani's and Calderon's contract).

ohmwrecker
07-19-2010, 09:33 PM
Can I get the part of my life that I spent arguing with TJ on the free agent thread back?

MaNu4Tres
07-19-2010, 09:33 PM
Good young player on a very small contract. If possible at all it would require sending a good young player on a small contract in return, in other words Hill or Blair.

1. If Spurs plan on having Parker long-term, and if Temple progresses significantly and if RJ spurns the Spurs.

:lol

A lot of If's

Spurs could look for a small forward on a cheap contract with significant upside by dangling Hill out there.

Possibilities are Batum, Luc Mbah A Moute, Casspi.

2. Or if Hill and Temple progress significantly and if Parker is having a so so year for his standards.

Spurs could possibly see the possibility in trading Parker to Indiana for Granger

Parker to Detroit for Daye or Jerebko/Prince expiring and a 1st rounder.

Parker for Gallinari, Eddy Curry's expiring and Timofey Mogrov and a possible future assets (pick; note Knicks are limited in future 1st rounders owned by Houston)

Parker going to Atlanta. Marvin Williams and two 1st rounders going to SA. Bibby going to Charlotte for Nazr Mohammed's expiring going to SA.

*Note: These are just at the top of my head so don't go on a defensive TP rant*

All of these scenarios are just *top of the head* solutions to finding a suitable small forward by parting with an expendable piece at the PG position ; IF Jefferson spurns the Spurs and signs with another team. (Which is very unlikely)

ChumpDumper
07-19-2010, 09:35 PM
So he went with a contender.

Solid D
07-19-2010, 09:38 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3293/2668749684_5c798dffc7.jpg

Birn
07-19-2010, 09:47 PM
I like Barnes and think he would've been a good fit. For some reason, he just didn't want to come here. Or maybe there's something about him the Spurs don't like. In any case, RJ has always been our best option at SF and I think the Spurs are ready to sign him. I think RJ is waiting for someone to offer him a contract to set his market value. maybe teams don't want to waste their time with him knowing that his intention is to return to SA. If we have to trade him, the only tradeable options that I see are for Stephen Jackson or Tayshawn Prince. I really don't think a trade is needed. I'm good with RJ in our system. His athleticism and ability to run the floor is badly needed.

timvp
07-19-2010, 09:48 PM
I've ripped Colanggelo as much as anyone for years, but I actually don't think this is that bad a signing.

Barnes has basically been kicked off his last three teams over the last three years. All three teams let him go for peanuts and had no interest in bringing him back. That's not one red flag, that's three red flags. In each stop, Barnes had coaches, teammates and fans hating him by the end of his stay.

And Colangelo gives him $4.5 million per season.

TD 21
07-19-2010, 09:55 PM
Barnes has basically been kicked off his last three teams over the last three years. All three teams let him go for peanuts and had no interest in bringing him back. That's not one red flag, that's three red flags. In each stop, Barnes had coaches, teammates and fans hating him by the end of his stay.

And Colangelo gives him $4.5 million per season.

When I said "I don't think this is that bad a signing", I didn't mean money wise. I meant fit and years wise.

ChuckD
07-19-2010, 10:03 PM

Don't forget Kapono and Amir.

lefty
07-19-2010, 10:06 PM
Great

Another painful 82 game stretch here in Canada :lol

SenorSpur
07-19-2010, 11:12 PM
I guess RJ and his agent are happy about this signing.

Mel_13
07-19-2010, 11:16 PM
I guess RJ and his agent are happy about this signing.

Maybe not. This signing probably takes Colangelo out of the market. What GM is left that will overpay RJ? I think the Clippers are his last chance for a contract that starts above the MLE.

Bonzi Jefferson.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-19-2010, 11:28 PM
I need to start practicing again. I could probably rip a few million off some of these suckers and a get great seat to boot.

My thoughts exactly. $10M??!!! Really??!!! Headed to the gym....

Shifty
07-20-2010, 12:12 AM
Deal delayed:

Veteran swingman Matt Barnes (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=1765), one of the most coveted free agents left on the open market, announced Monday night that he is headed to the Toronto Raptors (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=tor).
But the limited sign-and-trade options available to Orlando -- Barnes' last team -- could scuttle the deal, according to sources close to the situation.

Under the impression that he would be receiving a two-year contract in the $10 million range, Barnes thanked Magic fans via his Twitter feed and said that he'll be "playing for the Toronto Raptors" next season.
Sources told ESPN.com that the teams will resume discussions Tuesday, as planned all along, with the intent of landing Barnes with the Raptors via sign-and-trade.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5393637

Shifty
07-20-2010, 12:23 AM
Woj now tweeting that trade scenario is dead.

07-20-2010, 12:25 AM
if barnes gets 2yrs/$10 million there is not much hope that the spurs will get butler for the $2.4 million of the remaining MLE.

Obstructed_View
07-20-2010, 12:38 AM
Barnes back on the market. If someone's going to try to pay him that much money though, power to him.

kromediablo
07-20-2010, 01:38 AM
barnes did nothing in the playoffs...no defense..no shots...he was gettin scored on all playoffs long..cya!

jiggy_55
07-20-2010, 01:41 AM
Barnes back on the market. If someone's going to try to pay him that much money though, power to him.

He's not exactly back yet. Discussions ongoing tomorrow, so we'll see.

Rumors have really dried up from SA's side. All we heard of is Bell and Jones. They have no interest in Howard, Butler, Barnes or others? Even RJ news has dried up! I really want to know what the fuck is going on!

MaNu4Tres
07-20-2010, 01:56 AM
Even RJ news has dried up! I really want to know what the fuck is going on!

From three days ago...

RC Buford was interviewed during the Spurs summer league game against the Clippers. Usually, RC is tightlipped when discussing anything involving the team but I thought he shed a little bit of light on a few subjects.

-(On whether Richard Jefferson will be back in a Spurs uniform) We're working in that direction and we hope so but free agency has given Richard an opportunity to see what the market is. But our hope is that we can bring him back.

Vic Petro
07-20-2010, 02:07 AM
Ndudi Ebi.

Obstructed_View
07-20-2010, 03:36 AM
He's not exactly back yet. Discussions ongoing tomorrow, so we'll see.

That's true, but discussions don't create money out of whole cloth. It's a rather large shit sandwich to eat when you think you're getting 10 million dollars for two years and suddenly face the reality that you're going to end up making about half that. Barnes doesn't strike me as the type to take that well.