PDA

View Full Version : Malik Rose Back in Business

GSH
07-19-2010, 10:10 PM
I'm posting this here under the theory "Once a Spur, always a Spur". And Malik Rose was definitely one of the most-liked Spurs in recent years.

Not long after he was traded, Malik closed his Philly's Phamous CheeseSteak restaurant in the Quarry shopping center. Today I saw that he has opened a new Philly's Phamous here in SA. It's a drive-through, but there is a sign in front with Malik's picture, so it's definitely his.

It's on Blanco, right across the street from Churchill High School, right next to a Valero station. The food in his old restaurant was good, and plentiful. Malik is a good guy. Support an ex-Spur. Drop in. Buy cheese steaks. Punch a new notch in that belt.

5in10
07-19-2010, 10:13 PM
Are you Malik Rose OP?

Dave McNulla
07-19-2010, 10:14 PM
i would if he opened one in oceanside california.

4>0rings
07-19-2010, 10:14 PM
I could go for a philly cheesesteak.

timvp
07-19-2010, 10:15 PM
That's cool. Hadn't heard that Malik was back in the sandwich business. I'll have to drop by. :tu

(Speaking of power forwards and sandwiches, I'd much rather trust Malik in a playoff game than Bonner in a playoff game ... today. Even though Malik has sucked the last five years.)

DesignatedT
07-19-2010, 10:15 PM
Really? Back when I was at churchill there was a place right there that used to sell smoothies or something, It was a real tiny place. Is that the place?

ulosturedge
07-19-2010, 10:21 PM
The workhorse!

In all honesty I think he was a fan favorite during his time with the Spurs. I've also ran into him in RL before, and he came across as pretty down to earth guy (I can't say the same about some other ex-spurs players *cough* Antonio Daniels. That dude came off as arrogant as fuck). Anyways, I like philly cheesteaks and I never got to try his. I'll probably stop by when I get a chance and check it out.

blizz
07-19-2010, 10:22 PM
from what i heard, it was just a place to get italian ices and he had plans to bring back the cheese steaks but at the time i heard this, about a month ago, it was going to be a while.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
07-19-2010, 10:22 PM
Really? Back when I was at churchill there was a place right there that used to sell smoothies or something, It was a real tiny place. Is that the place?

Yeah I went to Churchill, it was called Jaenekes or some shit. At least for the past few years it was. It had all sorts of food.

blizz
07-19-2010, 10:23 PM
oh and i'd take him back on the team right now too....pop likes to have older veterans with character that have won before.....come back home malik!!

GSH
07-19-2010, 10:23 PM

That's the place. Small drive through.

And, no - I'm not Malik. I just think it's cool that SA makes a lot of ex-Spur players a permanent part of the community, if they decide to stay. And Malik is a genuinely good guy.

from what i heard, it was just a place to get italian ices and he had plans to bring back the cheese steaks but at the time i heard this, about a month ago, it was going to be a while.

Sounds like you know more about it than I do. I didn't have time to buy anything today, but I hope he brings back the cheese steaks if he hasn't already. I'll try a smoothie for now.

ElNono
07-19-2010, 10:24 PM
Reminds me of driving an hour to philly every year to go watch the Spurs play the Sixers. We've stopped for a philly's original cheesesteak with the wife before the games.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
07-19-2010, 10:43 PM
Yeah I went to Churchill, it was called Jaenekes or some shit. At least for the past few years it was. It had all sorts of food.

They also had a place there called "Moon Dollars" didn't quite catch on like Starbucks

Dro210
07-19-2010, 10:45 PM
They definitely have the cheesesteaks in there now... a friend of mine was tellin me he went there the other day, said the chicken cheesteak was off the chain.

What up WC alumni!... Haha, yall are makin me feel old tho... I went to Churchill and I remember when that little place wasn't even there. I think when I left it was like a smoothie place, and had a moon on the logo?... Shit, I remember when the Taco Bell/KFC was an Arby's... Whatchyall know about that?!?

Dro210
07-19-2010, 10:46 PM
They also had a place there called "Moon Dollars" didn't quite catch on like Starbucks

Hahahah... there we go... Moon Dollars

Churchill is officially in the building!

timvp
07-19-2010, 10:47 PM
The 'Ill in the heezy.

DesignatedT
07-19-2010, 10:53 PM
They definitely have the cheesestakes in the now... a friend of mine was tellin me he went there the other day, said the chicken cheestake was off the chain.

What up WC alumni!... Haha, yall are makin me feel old tho... I went to Churchill and I remember when that little place wasn't even there. I think when I left it was like a smoothie place, and had a moon on the logo?... Shit, I remember when the Taco Bell/KFC was an Arby's... Whatchyall know about that?!?

Haha I remember the smoothie place when I was there but I guess im not old enough for the Arbys :lol I'm class of '07

Dro210
07-19-2010, 10:54 PM
The 'Ill in the heezy.

haha, yessir!

Haha I remember the smoothie place when I was there but I guess im not old enough for the Arbys :lol I'm class of 07'

Yea... I think the Arby's went out after my freshman, maybe sophomore year... class of '04

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
07-19-2010, 11:18 PM
Hopefully Malik isn't letting his family run this place into the ground like he did with the old Philly's Phamous

SpursNextRomanEmpire
07-19-2010, 11:23 PM
Churchill in da building, Class of '10 haha

I. Hustle
07-19-2010, 11:27 PM
Hopefully Malik isn't letting his family run this place into the ground like he did with the old Philly's Phamous

Your avatar looks famiiar but I don't know where from

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
07-19-2010, 11:47 PM
Your avatar looks famiiar but I don't know where from

Bert Stare!!! You might of seen it in Entourage

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/8199/1251878044484.gif

ElNono
07-19-2010, 11:57 PM
Bert Stare!!! You might of seen it in Entourage

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/8199/1251878044484.gif

http://www.animateit.net/data/media/august2009/th_50bert.gif

Chucho
07-20-2010, 12:01 AM
A buddy of mine worked at the first one when it opened so I got to meet alot of Malik's younger family. Nice people, but I wonder if Malik knew how much of his money they were spending on pot. And how much was coming out of that register for "drank" and "kill".
I never ate there after the first time because it was far too pricey for a really bland sandwich. It was basically marked up steakums on soggy buns and cheap cheese, which I guess personifies Malik as a player.

Drachen
07-20-2010, 09:06 AM
Texadelphia for the win. I tried Malik's back in the day and yes, it was overpriced and under-tasty.

20beastie45
07-20-2010, 10:34 AM
What are some of the names for the sandwiches? Can't remember.

DesignatedT
07-20-2010, 10:44 AM
Texadelphia for the win. I tried Malik's back in the day and yes, it was overpriced and under-tasty.

The Delph definitely FTW. :tu

Drachen
07-20-2010, 11:20 AM
The Delph definitely FTW. :tu

Word! That mustard is just . . . ridiculous.

DesignatedT
07-20-2010, 01:15 PM
Word! That mustard is just . . . ridiculous.

haha the mustard blend is great. I used to work there back in high school so I know all the tricks :hat

Drachen
07-20-2010, 01:21 PM
Lucky you. I worked at Rooty's in high school. Then quit the day before I became an exchange student (went to germany in my junior year). Lets just say that I lost 35 lbs by Christmas (and I left in July).

I knew their special blend for their proprietary root beer.

DesignatedT
07-20-2010, 01:23 PM
Lucky you. I worked at Rooty's in high school. Then quit the day before I became an exchange student (went to germany in my junior year). Lets just say that I lost 35 lbs by Christmas (and I left in July).

I knew their special blend for their proprietary root beer.

Oh wait. that place. yeah their burgers were money.

Drachen
07-20-2010, 01:27 PM
I will now share their special secret recipe for Rooty's Brand Root Beer.

Take some A&W, add Vanilla.

No Joke.

On another topic, that Rooty's is now a Hooters, an Applebees I worked at is now a Bikinis. I am just waiting for that IHOP I worked at to fail so that I can see what it will become. Headliners II?

DesignatedT
07-20-2010, 01:46 PM
I will now share their special secret recipe for Rooty's Brand Root Beer.

Take some A&W, add Vanilla.

No Joke.

On another topic, that Rooty's is now a Hooters, an Applebees I worked at is now a Bikinis. I am just waiting for that IHOP I worked at to fail so that I can see what it will become. Headliners II?

:lol

The mustard blend is:

Mayo
Spicy Brown Mustard
Teriyaki sauce
Honey

Terrible for you... lol

cool cat
07-20-2010, 02:19 PM
Yeah that place has been like 4 different things the last 7 years are so.

RGMCSE
07-20-2010, 02:40 PM
I just eat there for lunch. I have to admit that the cheese steak was pretty good. Although I haven't had a Philly of any kind in quite some time.

Rob

Dro210
07-20-2010, 04:10 PM
Best cheesesteaks in town, hands down... best anywhere I've ever had 'em, granted I've never been to Philly:

http://www.youzguyzcheesesteaks.com/

I HIGHLY recommend yall check that place out.

Oh, and I know it doesn't sound like it would be the best... but cheese wiz is the authentic cheese, and it's so money. Trust me on this.

Chucho
07-20-2010, 04:15 PM
There used to be this place called Delaware Subs off of Austin Highway that served the best philly hands down. They served their sandwiches in 7 in and 14 in choices. It was so freakin good that there is no way in hell that a Malik's sub could even be compared, but sadly it's now Taste of Chicago.

DesignatedT
07-20-2010, 04:16 PM
Boston subworks off west ave. has a pretty decent philly. I always like Texadelphia and Maliks was alright.

4>0rings
07-20-2010, 04:17 PM
Churchill in da building, Class of '10 haha
Damn I'am old. Class of 00'. Way before Churchill got all the cool new buildings.

dimsah
07-20-2010, 04:45 PM
Best cheesesteaks in town, hands down... best anywhere I've ever had 'em, granted I've never been to Philly:

http://www.youzguyzcheesesteaks.com/

I HIGHLY recommend yall check that place out.

Oh, and I know it doesn't sound like it would be the best... but cheese wiz is the authentic cheese, and it's so money. Trust me on this.

Old school Philadelphians still use provolone or american. Cheese whiz came later.

4>0rings
07-20-2010, 04:56 PM
There was a place a few years ago by I-10 and Dezavala that sold Phillies... the thing is they were huge Spurs fans. They had Spurs memorabilia every where and awesome phillie steaks. I used to eat their all the time but they closed down. :(

DesignatedT
07-20-2010, 05:12 PM
There was a place a few years ago by I-10 and Dezavala that sold Phillies... the thing is they were huge Spurs fans. They had Spurs memorabilia every where and awesome phillie steaks. I used to eat their all the time but they closed down. :(

over there by buffalo wild wings? i think i saw that place but never stopped in.

Dro210
07-20-2010, 06:33 PM
Old school Philadelphians still use provolone or american. Cheese whiz came later.

That's what's up, I had never heard that... White american or yellow?

Youz Guyz is legit tho any way you get it... I've had it with provolone there, and it's still damn good. I just prefer the cheesewiz, cause it kinda acts as a sauce and a cheese at the same time.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
07-20-2010, 07:02 PM
Damn I'am old. Class of 00'. Way before Churchill got all the cool new buildings.

Well I just missed out on the nice new athletic facility.

MR.SILVER&BLack
07-20-2010, 09:30 PM
Would love to hear Bonners porfessional opinions on the subs. :wakeup

PuttPutt
07-20-2010, 09:53 PM

Well shit I feel even older. Class of 95.

skinsfan1
07-23-2010, 08:47 PM
Went today. Cheesesteak was off the hook. great as always.

Agloco
07-23-2010, 09:20 PM
I'm posting this here under the theory "Once a Spur, always a Spur". And Malik Rose was definitely one of the most-liked Spurs in recent years.

Not long after he was traded, Malik closed his Philly's Phamous CheeseSteak restaurant in the Quarry shopping center. Today I saw that he has opened a new Philly's Phamous here in SA. It's a drive-through, but there is a sign in front with Malik's picture, so it's definitely his.

It's on Blanco, right across the street from Churchill High School, right next to a Valero station. The food in his old restaurant was good, and plentiful. Malik is a good guy. Support an ex-Spur. Drop in. Buy cheese steaks. Punch a new notch in that belt.

:tu

Bito Corleone
07-24-2010, 02:01 AM
There used to be this place called Delaware Subs off of Austin Highway that served the best philly hands down. They served their sandwiches in 7 in and 14 in choices. It was so freakin good that there is no way in hell that a Malik's sub could even be compared, but sadly it's now Taste of Chicago.

Hell ya. A friend of mine worked there in HS.The philly was the shit, and the meatball wasn't bad either. :toast