PDA

View Full Version : Forever 21..what are you thinking??

ashbeeigh
07-19-2010, 10:20 PM
Forever 21 Launches Maternity Line In States With High Teen Pregnancy Rates

By: Lilit Marcus

Forever 21 is launching a new line of maternity gear (http://www.forever21.com/love21maternity/store.asp?cookie_test=1), love21maternity. But don’t get too excited – currently, the line is available in five states: Arizona, Alaska, California, Utah, and Texas. Why those places? It could be random. But it is interesting to note that three of those five states – Arizona, California, and Texas – are on the list of states with the highest percentages of teen pregnancy in the country. Coincidence? Or brilliant marketing to their existing customer base (young women) while also addressing the fact that some of them are going to need clothes with slightly more room in the midsection? And can somebody from MTV work on a deal to promote the line via the girls on the next season of 16 and Pregnant?

http://thegloss.com/fashion/forever-21-launches-maternity-line-in-states-with-high-teen-pregnancy-rates

Not a fan of the source, but that's the news. Good business model seeing that indeed we do have a high teen pregnancy rate or just plain old stupid?

LoneStarState'sPride
07-19-2010, 10:24 PM
Brilliant marketing. Was just talking about this to a friend today lol

PM5K
07-19-2010, 10:49 PM
What do you mean what were they thinking? They cater to 31 year old women that want to believe they are still 21, and 31 year old women do get pregnant.

resistanze
07-19-2010, 10:50 PM
I don't see the problem. Whores need clothes too.

mrsmaalox
07-19-2010, 11:00 PM
What do you mean what were they thinking? They cater to 31 year old women that want to believe they are still 21, and 31 year old women do get pregnant.

And even if they are catering to 21 yr olds it's not a big deal. But I've never seen one of those stores so i don't know what age they are geared towards. I guess as long as they aren't selling at Limited Too or Gymboree....lol

Kori Ellis
07-19-2010, 11:08 PM
Though most of the clothes there are generally more suited for teens/college students, I read somewhere that over 50% of Forever 21 shoppers are between 21-34. So having a maternity line is smart.

I shopped there a lot when I lived in L.A., throughout college and even into my early 30s. It's cheap and trendy (or at least it used to be - haven't been there in long time).

Nathan Explosion
07-19-2010, 11:09 PM
Unfortunately I've spent more time in the stores than I care to admit. The girls who shop there really aren't of age or maturity level to be raising kids. 31 year olds are NOT the target demographic, I don't care what Forever 21 says. I have a hard time finding people over 25 in that store except me and my soon to be ex wife. And 30 we are not.

Brilliant marketing strategy capitalizing on a very fucked up aspect of society.

Spurminator
07-19-2010, 11:17 PM
Great, now teenage girls are going to start getting knocked up just so they can wear the cute $10 maternity outfit they saw in the window

mrsmaalox
07-19-2010, 11:29 PM
Great, now teenage girls are going to start getting knocked up just so they can wear the cute $10 maternity outfit they saw in the window

Wait, a cute $10 outfit?? Hell I may even consider it :lol

Frenzy
07-19-2010, 11:37 PM
So older women don't dress trendy? They just don't care anymore..

Melmart1
07-19-2010, 11:44 PM
This is great news! Now the pregnant teens and 20-somethings who still dress like them will wear maternity clothes that fit them instead of stuffing their bellies into shit that doesn't fit anymore, exposing their nasty stretch marks and outtie belly buttons.

mrsmaalox
07-20-2010, 12:19 AM
This is great news! Now the pregnant teens and 20-somethings who still dress like them will wear maternity clothes that fit them instead of stuffing their bellies into shit that doesn't fit anymore, exposing their nasty stretch marks and outtie belly buttons.

So you think they dress that way because of lack of maternity clothes? I kinda think they'd be showing off all those parts anyway LOL

Melmart1
07-20-2010, 12:27 AM
So you think they dress that way because of lack of maternity clothes? I kinda think they'd be showing off all those parts anyway LOL

I had no idea until my cousin became pregnant. She squeezed into shit that didn't fit because there were no 'cute' clothes in her size. If Forever 21 had had maternity clothes, she would have worn them for sure. That and Melrose, her other favorite store. If one of those two started selling sharpies so she could fill in her eyebrows, she would never shop anywhere else.

ashbeeigh
07-20-2010, 09:16 AM
Though most of the clothes there are generally more suited for teens/college students, I read somewhere that over 50% of Forever 21 shoppers are between 21-34. So having a maternity line is smart.

I shopped there a lot when I lived in L.A., throughout college and even into my early 30s. It's cheap and trendy (or at least it used to be - haven't been there in long time).

I went in there a few months ago. There are cute things. I just am not a fan of things that come apart after 4-5 times I wear it. I'd much rather spend my money on stuff that lasts. Maybe I just say that because my fat butt can't fit into a XL. :)

I don't remember seeing many girls over the age of 17. It was primarly teens and their moms wandering around waiting for them. Granted, it was a Friday afternoon in April, though. Maybe the other groups shop on the weekends.

LnGrrrR
07-20-2010, 09:09 PM
If one of those two started selling sharpies so she could fill in her eyebrows, she would never shop anywhere else.

:lmao

PakiDan
07-20-2010, 10:07 PM
Brilliant Marketing??? Ummmm.... if a company were going to do this and NOT do a pre-requisite study of teen pregnancy trends, they frankly should not be in business. This is not brilliant, just necessary.

SourCandy
07-20-2010, 10:16 PM
So older women don't dress trendy? They just don't care anymore..

I guess you never heard of old lady clothes?

PM5K
07-20-2010, 11:07 PM
I went in there a few months ago.

I guess I was wrong then, oh wait you're 26 years old, guess I was right.

bridgetbbyxo
07-20-2010, 11:46 PM
their clothes have gotten wack anyways...

panic giraffe
07-23-2010, 05:10 PM
so if you wear the clothes that are there, you'll probably get knocked up by a cholo.

great business plan.

couldn't be topped unless jack in the box sold barf bags.