PDA

View Full Version : Matt Barnes not off the market yet?

scottspurs
07-20-2010, 02:12 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5393637

Updated: July 20, 2010, 1:06 AM ET
Financial issues may slow Barnes deal

By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

Veteran swingman Matt Barnes, one of the most coveted free agents left on the open market, announced Monday night that he is headed to the Toronto Raptors.

But the limited sign-and-trade options available to Orlando -- Barnes' last team -- could scuttle the deal, according to sources close to the situation.

Barnes
Under the impression that he would be receiving a two-year contract in the $10 million range, Barnes thanked Magic fans via his Twitter feed and said that he'll be "playing for the Toronto Raptors" next season.

Sources told ESPN.com that the teams will resume discussions Tuesday, as planned all along, with the intent of landing Barnes with the Raptors via sign-and-trade.

Yet no such deal could be assured as of midnight, raising the possibility that Barnes would have to accept new terms to sign with the Raptors or that other teams that have been chasing Barnes will get another shot at him if the deal collapses.

Since Toronto recently spent the bulk of its $5.8 million mid-level exception to sign Linas Kleiza, it doesn't have the available funds to sign Barnes outright to a deal that starts in the neighborhood of $4 million.

The Magic, though, are prevented by salary-cap rules from starting a sign-and-trade deal for Barnes at higher than $2 million, because Orlando doesn't have Barnes' full Bird rights after employing him for only one season. A sign-and-trade deal would also have to span at least three years, although only the first year is required to be guaranteed.

Barnes was initially believed to be on the verge of signing with a title contender late last week -- such as Miami, Boston or the Los Angeles Lakers -- when the Raptors made an aggressive late rush to join the bidding.

Barnes also gave serious consideration in recent days to the Cleveland Cavaliers before talks with Toronto got serious.

Barnes started 58 games last year for Orlando in his only season with the Magic after a hard recruiting push from center Dwight Howard.

The 30-year-old averaged 8.8 points and 5.5 rebounds per game in Orlando and had originally signed a two-year deal with the team. But Barnes exercised his option to become a free agent after playing for $1.6 million in 2009-10.

With salary-cap rules limiting the raise the Magic could offer unless it cut into its own mid-level exception, Magic general manager Otis Smith said last week that matching Chicago's offer sheet to sharpshooter J.J. Redick and signing Quentin Richardson were budget priorities.

If Toronto does not become Barnes' eighth stop in a career that began with the Los Angeles Clippers in 2003, it will be the second high-profile deal to unravel unexpectedly at the Raptors' expense this offseason.

Earlier this month, Charlotte agreed to participate in a trade originally hatched by Toronto and the Phoenix Suns, which would have brought Tyson Chandler and Boris Diaw to the Raptors. But the Bobcats pulled out and traded Chandler to Dallas one day later.

Marc Stein is a senior NBA writer for ESPN.com.

scottspurs
07-20-2010, 02:13 AM
This will become pretty funny if Barnes never gets his $10 mil

timvp
07-20-2010, 02:13 AM
The only thing dumber than giving Matt Barnes $4.5 million a season is giving Matt Barnes $4.5 million a season that you don't have.

Bryan Colangelo has reached a new level of stupid.

Amuseddaysleeper
07-20-2010, 02:16 AM
What's funny is that up here in Toronto, tons of Raptor fans are saying Colengelo is still a great GM due to his "heist" of a deal with the Hedo for Barbosa trade. They also seem to feel that building around Demar Derozan is the way to go.

$20 says he will leave during FA like most players the Raptors try to keep for the long term.

slick'81
07-20-2010, 02:16 AM
The only thing dumber than giving Matt Barnes $4.5 million a season is giving Matt Barnes $4.5 million a season that you don't have.

right woops sorry barnes no more money in Toronto lol

lurker23
07-20-2010, 02:27 AM

I told everyone that the Spurs front office is stupid and will never get anyone good to play here. Other, smarter teams aren't afraid to do things like work outside the confines of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

mountainballer
07-20-2010, 03:58 AM
lmao.
jesus. is this business now run by jobless mortgage managers?
"there are rules, really? what exactly is a CBA? are you kidding, you really want me to read all that boring paragraphs stuff? what, I can't just give 10 million $ to that guy? hey, I tell you what: you are killing the economy you damn commie!"

benefactor
07-20-2010, 05:25 AM
What part of he's not interested in the Spurs are we not comprehending.

Bruno
07-20-2010, 05:26 AM
It's crazy.

I wonder how teams and/or agents can do so big mistakes. Barnes can only get about $2M per year, it's nowhere near the $5M reported.

Either Barnes is stupid and hasn't some understanding troubles or his agent and/or Toronto FO should be fired.

jiggy_55
07-20-2010, 05:28 AM
It's crazy.

I wonder how teams and/or agents can do so big mistakes. Barnes can only get about $2M per year, it's nowhere near the $5M reported.

Either Barnes is stupid and hasn't some understanding troubles or his agent and/or Toronto FO should be fired.

My understanding is they thought a sign and trade would allow him to make the estimated 9-10 million?

mountainballer
07-20-2010, 05:53 AM
My understanding is they thought a sign and trade would allow him to make the estimated 9-10 million?

yes, but a S&T requires that the Magic have his bird rights. (which they don't have). or have enough left from the MLE. (which they don't have either). or have cap space (they don't). etc.
all this isn't a secrete. if Raptors didn't know this, they are as incompetent as a Blowout preventer from BP.

Obstructed_View
07-20-2010, 06:03 AM

This isn't advanced cap math or anything, this is pretty basic stuff. How anyone allowed this to get to a stage where it was being announced is just mind-boggling.

TDMVPDPOY
07-20-2010, 06:05 AM
lol raptors, now they are going to build around that piece of shit euro players on their team...

they are not making playoffs in the east

buttsR4rebounding
07-20-2010, 07:08 AM
And what about his agent? Any agent worth his money would know the situation regarding the ability to a S&T with his old team. I would fire the guy immediately.

buttsR4rebounding
07-20-2010, 07:08 AM
And what about his agent? Any agent worth his money would know the situation regarding the ability to a S&T with his old team. I would fire the guy immediately.

ChuckD
07-20-2010, 07:38 AM

At least his agent didn't advise him to leave $15.2M on the table. :lol

TJastal
07-20-2010, 08:12 AM

At least his agent didn't advise him to leave $15.2M on the table. :lol

:lmao

jiggy_55
07-20-2010, 08:39 AM
yes, but a S&T requires that the Magic have his bird rights. (which they don't have). or have enough left from the MLE. (which they don't have either). or have cap space (they don't). etc.
all this isn't a secrete. if Raptors didn't know this, they are as incompetent as a Blowout preventer from BP.

This isn't advanced cap math or anything, this is pretty basic stuff. How anyone allowed this to get to a stage where it was being announced is just mind-boggling.

Ya I know, :lmao! A casual NBA fan woulda known that.

Mr. Body
07-20-2010, 09:15 AM
Wow, what bush league mismanagement by the respective teams.

jiggy_55
07-20-2010, 09:30 AM
JMcDonald_SAEN

Barnes' deal with TOR fell through, but won't matter to #spurs. They weren't among the teams chasing him, which I always found odd.

http://twitter.com/JMcDonald_SAEN/status/18997569412

spursnatic
07-20-2010, 09:31 AM
[QUOTE=scottspurs;4524166]http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5393637

Updated: July 20, 2010, 1:06 AM ET
Financial issues may slow Barnes deal

By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

Veteran swingman Matt Barnes, one of the most coveted free agents left on the open market, announced Monday night that he is headed to the Toronto Raptors.

But the limited sign-and-trade options available to Orlando -- Barnes' last team -- could scuttle the deal, according to sources close to the situation.

Barnes
Under the impression that he would be receiving a two-year contract in the $10 million range, Barnes thanked Magic fans via his Twitter feed and said that he'll be "playing for the Toronto Raptors" next season.

Sources told ESPN.com that the teams will resume discussions Tuesday, as planned all along, with the intent of landing Barnes with the Raptors via sign-and-trade.

Yet no such deal could be assured as of midnight, raising the po Sure he might still be available?..But from what I have seen, Spurs are not even in the picture of a possible Destination..So why even bring up such a Post

anakha
07-20-2010, 09:33 AM
Wait, don't the Raptors have that huge TPE from the Bosh sign and trade?

coyotes_geek
07-20-2010, 09:36 AM

They do, but the problem is on Orlando's end. Orlando doesn't have the abililty under the cap rules to offer Barnes the contract that Toronto wants to offer him.

Chieflion
07-20-2010, 09:36 AM

The Magic only signed Barnes to a one year deal with player option. They do not have his bird rights and they don't have the MLE, therefore they can't S&T him to Toronto. The Raptors used most of their MLE for Kleiza. The trade exception did not affect the failure and incompetence of Bryan Colangelo and Otis Smith, along with Barnes' agent.

coyotes_geek
07-20-2010, 09:37 AM
Even if Orlando had the MLE, it wouldn't matter. You can't use the MLE or the BAE to S&T a player.

BG_Spurs_Fan
07-20-2010, 09:55 AM
Still can't figure out who's worse - Colangelo or Kahn? Maybe it's because it's already been a while since Isiah was a GM, but my estimation of his abilities has surprisingly grown for some odd reason.

mountainballer
07-20-2010, 10:04 AM

even if they had it TE, they can't use it for a S&T when Magic don't have cap space or rights to sign him in the first place.

Chieflion
07-20-2010, 10:10 AM
Still can't figure out who's worse - Colangelo or Kahn? Maybe it's because it's already been a while since Isiah was a GM, but my estimation of his abilities has surprisingly grown for some odd reason.

Lets be fair to Isiah Thomas here. He had the right mindset to go after stars and players with huge potential, just that the stars he got are either crazy (Marbury) or lazy and became fat (Eddy Curry). When he got there, he was dealt with a worse situation than when he left. It was an improvement. Sure he might have sucked, but he was really good at drafting players (David Lee, Wilson Chandler). The problem was that he sucked at trading and had no team philosophy.

I think Kahn has set a new benchmark for epic fail. Drafted Flynn at 6 last year, made bad trades, sending Al Jefferson away because of Milicic. Colangelo also set a benchmark for overpaying players because no one wants to go to Toronto. He then signed a lot of overseas players because they are more open to going to Toronto. He had a team philosophy but he built that philosophy around the wrong guy.

ducks
07-20-2010, 10:17 AM
JMcDonald_SAEN

Barnes' deal with TOR fell through, but won't matter to #spurs. They weren't among the teams chasing him, which I always found odd.

do spurs have cancer guys:lol:lol

lefty
07-20-2010, 10:22 AM
What's funny is that up here in Toronto, tons of Raptor fans are saying Colengelo is still a great GM due to his "heist" of a deal with the Hedo for Barbosa trade. They also seem to feel that building around Demar Derozan is the way to go.

$20 says he will leave during FA like most players the Raptors try to keep for the long term.
I recently read talkbacks on TSN and Sportsnet's website, and a lot of fans want Colangelo's head :lol

spursnatic
07-21-2010, 06:41 AM
That is true of Barnes still being on the Market?...But from what I have been reading, San Antonio is not even in the runnings of getting his service...So why is this being brought up?....Crap from what I have been reading, never even was there interest from the SPURS front office on signing him...

Lebowski Brickowski
07-21-2010, 10:13 AM
Originally Posted by jiggy_55 View Post

JMcDonald_SAEN

If this is McDonald's inside info, expect Spurs to announce presser for Matt Barnes signing by the end of the day.

ace3g
07-21-2010, 04:38 PM
Barnes Leaning Towards Contender

Free-agent forward Matt Barnes is leaning towards signing with a contender, according to sources.

Brian Windhorst of the Cleveland Plain Dealer writes that Barnes could make more money with a team like the Cavaliers, but could opt for less to play for a championship.

Read more: http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/68274/20100721/barnes_leaning_towards_contender/#ixzz0uM5nRfhb

I hope Barnes considers the Spurs a contender