PDA

View Full Version : Who will be our BEST player?

20beastie45
07-20-2010, 08:37 AM
Who will be our MVP?

My vote goes to TP. He will stay healthy and have a great year. IMO(hopefully) 25 ppg 6 apg. If this is true and we DO trade TP, it won't be till after the season is over and it will be a S & T. I don't think he will ever turn his back on this Franchise that made him. If he does leave we will get talent in return and part ways respectfully.

Don't think Timmy and Manu have the legs anymore.

IMO hands down TP will be our go to guy.

Thought?

Cheers

urunobili
07-20-2010, 08:43 AM
TP no brainer.

He'll bounce back from a shaky season and it'll be contract year too :)

bobby4germany
07-20-2010, 08:47 AM
Bonner! He stretches the floor for Timmy!

In all seriousness I think your right it has to be TP. Not only is it a contract year but he also wants to prove he has "it" after all the injuries slowed him down last season.

20beastie45
07-20-2010, 08:53 AM

In all seriousness I think your right it has to be TP. Not only is it a contract year but he also wants to prove he has "it" after all the injuries slowed him down last season.

You know it was really close between TP and Bonner..I just went with the guy with the hotter wife...

peteee
07-20-2010, 08:56 AM

all these TP MVP predictions have all been based on the presumption that he'll come back healthy after all these serious injuries, which IMHO will be quite questionable especially considering he'll have to play with national team preceding the NBA season.

20beastie45
07-20-2010, 09:01 AM
all these TP MVP predictions have all been based on the presumption that he'll come back healthy after all these serious injuries, which IMHO will be quite questionable especially considering he'll have to play with national team preceding the NBA season.

I swear I heard RC say Tiago was our only player with National ball Obligation.

ohmwrecker
07-20-2010, 09:01 AM
Tony Parker. Let's trade him!

20beastie45
07-20-2010, 09:08 AM
Tony Parker. Let's trade him!

Why would you trade the player that could be our BEST player...don't get it...and if you say "he's going to leave us next year".. or "lets get something for him before he pulls a Lebron" .blah blah blah.....you can still S & T your FA's...

Unless he is totally f*%king up chemistry...then yea trade him....but the past says Parker is a great team mate and will sacrifice for winning.

ohmwrecker
07-20-2010, 09:09 AM
Why would you trade the player that could be our BEST player...don't get it...and if you say "he's going to leave us next year".. or "lets get something for him before he pulls a Lebron" .blah blah blah.....you can still S & T your FA's...

Unless he is totally f*%king up chemistry...then yea trade him....but the past says Parker is a great team mate and will sacrifice for winning.

Sorry, that should have read blue.

Chieflion
07-20-2010, 09:12 AM
Tim Duncan has to be our best player. Let's face it. If Tony Parker is the best player on the Spurs, we have very little star power (players like Melo etc) and no amount of depth is going to help win the championship. And I don't want Duncan to show considerable amount of decline.

ffadicted
07-20-2010, 09:15 AM
Tim Duncan has to be our best player. Let's face it. If Tony Parker is the best player on the Spurs, we have very little star power (players like Melo etc) and no amount of depth is going to help win the championship. And I don't want Duncan to show considerable amount of decline.

TD hasn't been the spurs best player in a while. Most important, sure, not not the "best"

20beastie45
07-20-2010, 09:17 AM
TD hasn't been the spurs best player in a while. Most important, sure, not not the "best"

+1

IMO last year Gonibili

Chieflion
07-20-2010, 09:19 AM

He was by far the best player in the 1st half of the season. He carried too much of the load and affected him in the 2nd half, when Ginobili took over and then got his fat contract extension. And Manu played horrible the 1st half of the season, a huge reason why the Spurs started the season extremely slowly.

ffadicted
07-20-2010, 09:22 AM
He was by far the best player in the 1st half of the season. He carried too much of the load and affected him in the 2nd half, when Ginobili took over and then got his fat contract extension. And Manu played horrible the 1st half of the season, a huge reason why the Spurs started the season extremely slowly.

I'll agree with this, but when we're talking about playoff performance, which matters most, imo he hasn't been our best since '06. 07 it was parker, 08 ginobili, and 09 parker. Tim just hasn't been able to dominate the playoffs like he used to.

Chieflion
07-20-2010, 09:25 AM
I'll agree with this, but when we're talking about playoff performance, which matters most, imo he hasn't been our best since '06. 07 it was parker, 08 ginobili, and 09 parker

Duncan was our best player in the playoffs in 2007. The finals series had Parker playing better than everyone so he won the finals MVP. Nothing wrong with that though. In 08, I believe Duncan played well too. Actually, the entire big 3 played well. 09, I agree it was Parker.

So, after 07, Timmy wasn't the clear-cut best player and the team suffered as a result, aka not winning ships. We need him to become playoff Timmy again to have any chance in the playoffs, no matter the small fixes the Spurs make to slow or stop the leakage. It starts and ends with that one man, Tim Duncan.

Blackjack
07-20-2010, 09:30 AM

I have to agree with Chief that Tim has to be their best player if they want to win a championship. He doesn't have to be the No. 1 option offensively for the duration of regular season and playoffs, as Manu and Tony will both have their hands on the reins (Tony should take on more responsibility in a contract year after having a down year and coming into the season seemingly fresh and healthy), but Tim has to be their best overall best player if they want to win a championship -- that's why there's a so-called 'Duncan window.'

And Tim has been their best overall player. He's come down from his lofty standards, but you really don't need to overthink who's the best player on the team. Don't confuse not meeting their own personal standard with who's best. Maybe Manu or Tony have a better year, but there's a reason Tim ranks where he does in the league amongst all of the players and why he's on both All-NBA teams -- and it's not because of his reputation or Tony and Manu's lack thereof.

liltex2010
07-20-2010, 09:31 AM
Another Trade TP thread.......

20beastie45
07-20-2010, 09:36 AM
Another Trade TP thread.......
:nope:nope:nope

ffadicted
07-20-2010, 09:40 AM
You guys make good points, and I totally agree that Duncan needs to perform for any type of chance to exist. With that said, I just don't think it's reasonable to expect Duncan to go out there and be our best player on the court and carry the team to victories anymore, and honestly I don't think we need it.

Duncan still needs to be our anchor and our leader, especially on defense and times on offense when the bleeding has to stop, but the way he's fizzled out towards the end of the last two seasons, I really HOPE he's not our best player for next season, for his sake (health) and ours

20beastie45
07-20-2010, 09:46 AM
At what point does Duncan slide into a Robinson type role? I was watching the Spurs 03 championship DVD and Robinson was playing spot fourth quarter min. Alot of those min fell to Malik. I for one will except Duncan sitting if Dragic keeps getting layups around the rim.

I would really LOVE to see Duncan be our best player.

Blackjack
07-20-2010, 09:48 AM
I'm not saying Tim will no doubt be their best player, as it's a very real possibility Tony or Manu is, I just don't believe that would bode well for their championship aspirations -- it's hard to imagine Tony or Manu surpassing Tim as a player because of their progression and not Tim' regression.

Blackjack
07-20-2010, 09:54 AM
At what point does Duncan slide into a Robinson type role? I was watching the Spurs 03 championship DVD and Robinson was playing spot fourth quarter min. Alot of those min fell to Malik. I for one will except Duncan sitting if Dragic keeps getting layups around the rim.

That's the thing though, not very many players have a Duncan to pass the reins to.

I love Tony and Manu, but neither them is a Duncan. This will have to be done as a collective and Tim has to be their true centerpiece, even if not the No. 1 option offensively.

stnick2261
07-20-2010, 09:54 AM

Duncan will slide into a Robinson role when we have a clear-cut heir appearant franchise player. Tim can't become David without another Tim.

20beastie45
07-20-2010, 09:56 AM
Duncan will slide into a Robinson role when we have a clear-cut heir appearant franchise player. Tim can't become David without another Tim.

I know I shouldn't compare.....But I thought Tiago was suppose to be that guy....a post scorer and what not.

urunobili
07-20-2010, 10:03 AM
If Tiago ups his level from what he did in Europe it could end up turning out to be TD being D-Rob to Tiago... that's the very best case scenario we could be facing :)

SpurCharger
07-20-2010, 10:06 AM
I know I shouldn't compare.....But I thought Tiago was suppose to be that guy....a post scorer and what not.
Tiago will Probably avg between 12 and 15 pts a game in The NBA.... He will Dominate more on the Glass, and Defensively... He has Above average Offense of game... But Nothing That Stands out Like Wow

20beastie45
07-20-2010, 10:09 AM
Tiago will Probably avg between 12 and 15 pts a game in The NBA.... He will Dominate more on the Glass, and Defensively... He has Above average Offense of game... But Nothing That Stands out Like Wow

Is he capable of demanding double teams? :fight

SpurCharger
07-20-2010, 10:13 AM
I doubt it.... He Is More Of Pick and Roll Player... He can run The pick and roll really well.... Him And Manu Should Play well Together... Again Above Average Post game, Nothing To Great....Maybe Demand A Dbl team At Times, If he gets hot...

stnick2261
07-20-2010, 10:13 AM

It's not about position, it's about skill. Think of it this way, would you give Splitter a max contract and trust him to take over critical games? I'm optimistic he'll be good, but he's not a franchise player. The best candidate we have right now is Parker... but is he a franchise player?

Blackjack
07-20-2010, 10:22 AM
It's not about position, it's about skill. Think of it this way, would you give Splitter a max contract and trust him to take over critical games? I'm optimistic he'll be good, but he's not a franchise player. The best candidate we have right now is Parker... but is he a franchise player?

:tu

Welcome to the board.

stnick2261
07-20-2010, 10:39 AM
:tu

Welcome to the board.

thanks... I don't post much, but I read everything that's posted here :)

Blackjack
07-20-2010, 10:44 AM
thanks... I don't post much, but I read everything that's posted here :)

Post more. ST can never have too many people with a good grasp of the game.

Pauleta14
07-20-2010, 10:54 AM

I think he has the BB skills, but not the "charisma"...

20beastie45
07-20-2010, 10:57 AM

I'll be really optimistic..Let's hope that splitter will turn out great....lets not forget that Ginobili wasn't considered a star or semi franchise player when we brought him in.

If Splitter turns out like Ginobili then hell yeah give him the contract he would deserve....but only time will tell.
You can consider the possibility.